Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me (40726 Views)

Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC / How Sex Workers Ruined Dimka’s 1976 Coup Plan / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by jendoslim(m): 9:20am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:
I have both of Max Siollun's books if anyone is interested.
Kindly send the copy to brandtencole800@gmail.com
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Abbeycaesar(m): 9:20am On Dec 28, 2020
Kindly send to abbeygotgems@gmail.com
Thanks in advance.
Alpha100:
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by nku5: 9:23am On Dec 28, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

Ironsi handled the matter poorly.

If he had tried the coup plotters, and showed some empathy toward regions that lost prominent politicians, the bad blood wouldn't have arisen.

According to a portion of Chimamanda Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun, Igbos in Kano even had the audacity to mock the slain Ahmadu Bello who was loved in the North.

The fact is that Ironsi was in power for just a few months. immediately he took office he appointed an investigative committee from the then Special Branch (now CID) to investigate the coup. It was headed by M.D. Yusuf and supervised directly by Gowon. For reasons we can only guess, the investigative report never got to Ironsi until the same Gowon and co overthrew Ironsi and buried the report.

These kind of facts are never popular

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by mabea: 9:23am On Dec 28, 2020
francotunsco:
...and this thread later became an intelligent discourse!
I am very proud of Nairaland this morning. Fellows are making intelligent reference to a book read and a movie!
2021 gbosa for everyone.
The truth is that they are certain elements who are yet to discover this thread, either they are busy or something else. Just come back after few hours and see what this beautiful thread would have turned into. I mean the tribal gladiators.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by MrEazi223: 9:25am On Dec 28, 2020
kelfree99:
Since i came to nairaland any Time i ask for help i receive non , some times i get insulted , remember no one knows tommorrow.

Please assist me with funds , and God would never forsake u.

(Union bank)
Stainley Anozie .i

Tomorrow is Tuesday bro
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Vicogrin(m): 9:25am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:
I'm interested, how can I get it?

modified

pls kindly send to johnsonvictor517@gmail.com
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 9:27am On Dec 28, 2020
zionzoe:
Sir, do you have soft copies of this books ?

NO. but you can order online from Jumia
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Soknown: 9:27am On Dec 28, 2020
I will get the two books to get fresh perspective.
Edited: There is a kindle edition for Soldiers of Fortune on Amazon.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by MrEazi223: 9:28am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

Please forward the both to
Yinkaisiaq25@gmail.com
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Ibime(m): 9:29am On Dec 28, 2020
And Obasanjo did not inform his boss Murtala?

Infact he used the opportunity to ensure Murtala got killed and plotted how to take power after Murtalas death.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by faste: 9:30am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

My email is on my signature
I need it too sir.Kindly forward to Esinjesse@gmail.com.Peace to you!
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ibietela2(m): 9:34am On Dec 28, 2020
nku5:

Fire on sir

Maybe we should add the tribes to all the future coup

Like the fulani genocide coup

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 9:38am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

I had hard copies of his books. Friends borrowed them and never returned them. Pls kindly send me a link if you have soft copies. i would love to read them all over again these holidays.
Thanks
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:39am On Dec 28, 2020
nku5:

The fact is that Ironsi immediately appointed an investigative committee from the then Special Branch (now CID) it was headed by M.D. Yusuf and supervised directly by Gowon. For reasons we can only guess, the investigative report never got to Ironsi until the same Gowon and co overthrew Ironsi and buried the report.

These kind of facts are never popular

Investigative committee?

There was bad blood already, especially in the North.

The coup plotters were known. It was not a case of alleged coup plot, but an actual coup with the major plotters already known.

There was no need for investigative committees.

Moving the plotters to Lagos was not a bad thing since Lagos was a part of the crime jurisdiction. But moving them to the East had no basis, and could only draw suspicion.

Moreover, it was believed (and confirmed by a serving lawmaker at that time) that Ironsi forced the Senate to relinquish power to him.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Olakunleyakub(m): 9:46am On Dec 28, 2020
They wanted TY danjuma to be the new head of state after gown elimination but him and some other few reasonable officers said no that the new military leadership should come from South to dose tension and probably trauncated the ongoing battle between soldiers perceived to be loyal to gowon and muritala. If not the coup would had continue endlessly.

That is why obasanjo succeeded as the new head of state without any coup till he handed over power back to civilian sheu shagari in 1980 I think and instructed all the soldiers to return back to the baracks.

But unfortunately, after obasanjo handed over to the civilian the coup continued.

Buhari and idiagbon overthrown shagari government while IBB also overthrown both of them after six months in power.

IBB spent 6 to 7 years before appointing Ernest shonekan as the interim head of state after the annulment of his close freind well deserved election victory MKO abiola in 1992.

After some time IBB and abacha connived to overthrown the interim government and handed over the power to abacha and it continues like that until abacha died in 1999 and thief General Abdulsalam was appointed as the new interim head of state for 8motnhs and later handed over back to obasanjo for full democracy to take place but unfortunately we are practicing crazy demo.

The truth is that Nigerian military are our major problem and set backs since time immemorial cos of their greediness they don't care to raze down the whole country to actualise their greedy mission.

Obasanjo, gowon, IBB ,buhari, TY danjuma And the likes should be held responsible for Nigerian failure.

The truth is that the civil warwas another suicide
mission that contributed to the backwardness of this great country.
The only time Nigeria seems to be working and doing fine was before the civil war and that was when they created some good universities like UI, Nsuka , OAU, ABU Zaria, UNi Ben and Uni lag but every stopped working after the war .

That is why yakub gowon can never be an hero to me for the role.he played in the civil war.

The war was truly a national tregedy that should never be allowed to repeat it self never and Never again in the history of Nigeria

Peace!

CharleyBright:

Yes. The book - Oil, Politics and Violence did vividly described what played out in the Dimka Coup and the actors in the whole incidence. Buhari (who is a staunch protégé of Murtala Mohammed) was a key actor in foiling that coup.
Anyone that read those books before 2015 elections would have known who Buhari truly is and would not vote for him. Before i read Oil, POlitics and Violence, i had always perceived Murtala Mohammed as a gentle soldier. But the book depicted that he was a hard and stubborn soldier who had at many times openly threatened to deal with General Gowon, and he eventually overthrew Gowon and became the Head of state after ousting Gowon with the help of his staunch loyalists. Infact, the book narrated that Murtala was killed by those Loyal to Gowon as a revenge 6 months after Murtala ousted Gowon. the book further indicated that those times were very deadly times in the Military when there was distrusts and bad blood in the Military so much that everyone was scared of being assassinated, and after Murtala was killed, there was vacuum in the Military Headship for over 2 weeks and everyone ( Obasanjo and co who were highest officers then) refused to become Head of State. However, Obasanjo was almost forced to be Head of State so as to change Leadership to the Southern Nigeria to doused the Bad that had brewed between the Northern Military Christians camp ( The Langtan block and loyalist to Gowon) on one hand, and the Northern Military Muslims ( The Murtala Mohammed loyalist) on the other hand.
Anyone who wants to know why Nigeria is the way it is today should go and read 'Oil, Politics and violence" by Max Siolliun, And also the sequel of that book called - "Soldiers of Fortune" by same Author. But Books are Masterpieces that gives detailed accounts of every Top Nigerian Military officer since independence and their different roles in the Military to bastardized and destroyed Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by AkuFather(m): 9:46am On Dec 28, 2020
kettykin:
As usual, very gullible Nigerians will believe this.
How can a phone call on 13th Friday cause a deputy head of state to go late to work over child naming. What do these take the rest of Nigerians for
if God wants to do something in one's life, in short, His ways are not ours.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Fvckhypocrite(f): 9:47am On Dec 28, 2020
kraftysprouts:

I have read the why we struck book and half of there was a country
Author?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by humilitypays(m): 9:48am On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

You might be right to an extent. But you should know how the typical Igbo man likes to insult other tribes.
After the coup, igbos printed posters depicting how Nzeogwu was standing over Ahmadu Bello, they released a song titled machine gun talking about how automatic rifles were used to finish off northerners, Igbo traders made jest of their Hausa colleagues in the markets in the north, wives of soldiers made it an issue in the barracks, and then it was a practice of Igbo soldiers to duck behind their desks demonstrating to northern soldiers "na so una premier hide for inside him wife when dem go to kill am.
All these plus what Ironsi was doing or not doing up there led to the unfortunate killings
stop fabricating lies to suit your hatred and narrative. What nonsense lies are you talking about.

Igbos were also mocking Northerners in 1943 northern massacre of Igbos.

Igbos were also mocking Northerners in 2011 election saga where Buhari lost to Goodluck and Igbo, Yoruba and Southerners in the North got massacred out of their hatred for Igbos too.

Don't worry, it will get to you, we will give reasons why you were killed in cold blood, continue spreading lies told by enemies of innocent people killed in cold blood, continue okay

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kettykings: 9:50am On Dec 28, 2020
Mrlola:

must you always show the world how daft you are? you just sounded like a bastard!

Please Mod take note. If nothing is done urgently i will be bring my arsenals on this poster

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ahmedio2017(m): 9:51am On Dec 28, 2020
faste:
I need it too sir.Kindly forward to Esinjesse@gmail.com.Peace to you!

ahmedolayiwola64@gmail.com

I need it too
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by sammy7410(m): 9:53am On Dec 28, 2020
angry
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by owobokiri(m): 9:54am On Dec 28, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

If he had tried the coup plotters, and showed some empathy toward regions that lost prominent politicians, the bad blood wouldn't have arisen.

According to a portion of Chimamanda Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun, Igbos in Kano even had the audacity to mock the slain Ahmadu Bello who was loved in the North.

Handled the matter poorly? Maybe, but how really? The coup plotters were all under arrest and he has already promised that they will all be tried. All the arrested coup plotters were under arrest as at the night Ironsi was killed. .. Secondly, don't forget that Ironsi ONLY neutralized the coup in Lagos. Nzeogwu had the whole northern and eastern Nigeria under his ontrol, even if the allegiance of all the commanding officer in those areas were in doubt, which was the reason he willingly handed over to Ironsi. It wasn't as if Ironsi crushed the coup in northern nigeria. Ironsi wasn't even very sure of total control in southern nigeria. Nobody knows the agreement reached between him and Nzeogwu that propelled Nzeogwu to hand himself over to federal forces in Lagos without firing a shot....

Finally, while I do agree that with the benefit of hindsight, one can look at the lopsided casualty figure after the coup and wonder if there were ulterior motives, it's also very important to remember that there were no laws mandating mandatory death sentences during ironsis brief rule! Coup plotting and subsequent judicial processes following failure were somewhat uncharted territories within the nigerian judicial system because there were no serious previous cases apart from Awolowos case. Other newly independent countries had the same problems.. Essentially, it wasn't even only in nigeria that we had such dilemmas.., Ghana had coups but never mowed down the plotters... It was Obasanjo that enacted those brutal laws that led to the killings of many subsequently.. So while it's fair to pile on some on Ironsi, we have to also situate the context under which his actions and inactions were permissible as at that time...

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Fvckhypocrite(f): 9:55am On Dec 28, 2020
ibietela2:

Am proud of that young lad, he took control of the entire military in the north in one day
who's the young lad sir?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Brooklynsouth(f): 9:55am On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

You might be right to an extent. But you should know how the typical Igbo man likes to insult other tribes.
After the coup, igbos printed posters depicting how Nzeogwu was standing over Ahmadu Bello, they released a song titled machine gun talking about how automatic rifles were used to finish off northerners, Igbo traders made jest of their Hausa colleagues in the markets in the north, wives of soldiers made it an issue in the barracks, and then it was a practice of Igbo soldiers to duck behind their desks demonstrating to northern soldiers "na so una premier hide for inside him wife when dem go to kill am.
All these plus what Ironsi was doing or not doing up there led to the unfortunate killings
can yiu prove this , is there evidence or just street talks

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by vineyardfarms: 9:56am On Dec 28, 2020
kettykin:

This is another lie from the lie spitting dragon from the pit of hell.
The Nigerian military has never been cultured, if it were cultured the succession crisis after ironsi was assassinated would not have come up. If Nigeria military was honest and promisekeeper, Aburi agreement would not have been dumped .
Punctuallity simply means Obasanjo could not have afford to go to work late over trivial family discussions that could have held in office or after work.

Your opinion is respected, but the narration may be coded. Let's leave it at that. Thank God, he is alive to tell the story himself.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by nku5: 9:58am On Dec 28, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

Investigative committee?

There was bad blood already, especially in the North.

The coup plotters were known. It was not a case of alleged coup plot, but an actual coup with the major plotters already known.

There was no need for investigative committees.

Moving the plotters to Lagos was not a bad thing since Lagos was a part of the crime jurisdiction. But moving them to the East had no basis, and could only draw suspicion.

Moreover, it was believed (and confirmed by a serving lawmaker at that time) that Ironsi forced the Senate to relinquish power to him.

So you think Ironsi should have just ordered them all executed without investigation or trial just to appeal to frayed nerves? The aim of the investigation was to unearth how deep the conspiracy went in the armed forces and civilian circles. If it was really an "Igbo coup" wouldn't it have been good to know those behind the plot. Are you aware that Hassan Katsina who was part of the Fulani coup that removed Ironsi, was also part of the Nzeogwu coup? You think he would have liked the report to come out?

Besides are you aware that the coup was celebrated at first all over the country? It was the British that incited the northerners into believing the ethnic angle. Ironsi as a leader was not wrong to first investigate and he put the northern officers in charge. What more do we expect the man to have done?

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Iriruaga100(m): 9:58am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

My email is on my signature

Mail sent Sir!!
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ibietela2(m): 10:01am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

Is soft copy
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by thatigboman: 10:03am On Dec 28, 2020
Guestlander:

True, this is because you were in the Army and Obasanjo directly recruited you to be part of the coup.
Radarada.
madness is free
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ibietela2(m): 10:03am On Dec 28, 2020
Soknown:
I will get the two books to get fresh perspective.
Edited: There is a kindle edition for Soldiers of Fortune on Amazon.

Really?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 10:03am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

I have all Max Siollun three books and cherish them a lot because they gave clear succinct dirty histroy of all these past military leaders Nigerians are venerating today as gods especially the role the sitting president played in the July 28-29 1966 northern counter-coup killings @ Ikeja Barracks.I have a copy of the "76" movie.I even watch clips yster night.

The divide in the Nigerian military can to a large extent be traced to the Nzegwu coup ( though Max Siullon claims Nzegwu was not the mastermind of the coup, but he came into the plot midway and was the most vocal and the last man standing an refusing to stand down after every other of the coup plotter had been arrested).
The Ibos dominated the Nigerian Military after independence. They constituted over 50% of the TOP military Ranks then, as they were more schooled and had gone for more military course. The North had very few Top officers. they were mostly lower soldiers of rank and file.
Ironsi, Ojukwu,and many others of Ibo extracts were Top Guns in the Military then. Nzegwu and other fellow Majors were a new breed of brilliant soldiers who had a different view and orientation from the Old Guns, and they sought to do things their own way.
Nzegwu and his co plotted actually meant well to carry out the coup and deliver Nigerians from the corrupt and very wasteful hands of the civilian govt then. The careless mistake they made was killing the most highest ranking Northern officer, the Prime Minister- Tafawa Balewa and the Saduana and his wife, while Nnamdi Azikiwe who was President was spared. ( he was out of the country for official duty). The Northern Military Officers took it as an Ibo coup against the North and that Nzegwu had tipped Azikiwe of the coup and told him to leave the country.
The North decided to take revenge and thousands of lives were wasted in the unslaught that followed.
Max Siolliun vivid described the venegeful killings by Northeners following the Nzegwu coup. They meant to wipe out Ibos out of the Nigerian Military, and they to a large extent succeded.
The North dont ever Forget or Forgive. Till today, the North has never forgiven the Ibos for the Nzegwu coup.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obi Beats Tinubu, Atiku In New Physical Poll Ahead Of 2023 Election / Police Stop Ajimobi-Led APC From Entering Party National Secretariat / Nnamdi Kanu Arrives Court In Handcuffs. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.