Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Google Cloud Bringing New IT Opportunities To Nigeria!! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Google Cloud Bringing New IT Opportunities To Nigeria!! (353 Views)

Elon Musk’s Spacex Inks Satellite Connectivity Deal With Google Cloud / Stelcoin Is Bringing Freelancing To Blockchain / Tfhost Is Bringing Christmas Early For Webhosting And Domain Registration!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Google Cloud Bringing New IT Opportunities To Nigeria!! by lanchy: 11:13am On Dec 30, 2020
"Today we are introducing Equiano, our new private subsea cable that will connect Africa with Europe. Once complete, Equiano will start in western Europe and run along the West Coast of Africa, between Portugal and South Africa, with branching units along the way that can be used to extend connectivity to additional African countries. The first branch is expected to land in Nigeria. This new cable is fully funded by Google, making it our third private international cable after Dunant and Curie, and our 14th subsea cable investment globally."

My Personal Note:
Believe it or not, it means cheaper connectivity for Nigerians Internet wise and Google will be placing edge locations in Nigeria to support their business, so employment, but best of all guys, it means Nigerians can start having good ideas for online business and start-ups being backed by durable cheap infrastructure from Google cloud

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/infrastructure/introducing-equiano-a-subsea-cable-from-portugal-to-south-africa

Re: Google Cloud Bringing New IT Opportunities To Nigeria!! by Earthstorms(m): 12:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
lanchy:
"Today we are introducing Equiano, our new private subsea cable that will connect Africa with Europe. Once complete, Equiano will start in western Europe and run along the West Coast of Africa, between Portugal and South Africa, with branching units along the way that can be used to extend connectivity to additional African countries. The first branch is expected to land in Nigeria. This new cable is fully funded by Google, making it our third private international cable after Dunant and Curie, and our 14th subsea cable investment globally."

My Personal Note:
Believe it or not, it means cheaper connectivity for Nigerians Internet wise and Google will be placing edge locations in Nigeria to support their business, so employment, but best of all guys, it means Nigerians can start having good ideas for online business and start-ups being backed by durable cheap infrastructure from Google cloud

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/infrastructure/introducing-equiano-a-subsea-cable-from-portugal-to-south-africa

Really nice news.

I would have loved to do a fibre to home startup that will bring high speed internet to homes using fibre optic cables. Money is the barrier.

I wish Google will fund such startups that will get connected to their network

1 Like

Re: Google Cloud Bringing New IT Opportunities To Nigeria!! by lanchy: 6:26pm On Dec 31, 2020
Earthstorms:

Really nice news.

I would have loved to do a fibre to home startup that will bring high speed internet to homes using fibre optic cables. Money is the barrier.

I wish Google will fund such startups that will get connected to their network

This is a fantastic idea! Fibre is useless to cable thieves thus no problem there, and you can start B2B first before B2C.

My advise is wait till Google establish their Point of Presence (PoP) You and I know there is a reason they are breaking out in Lagos, Nigeria. I'm guessing edge location for caching or CDN first then full Region/Availability Zone in Nigeria (first in West Africa) for hosting and sundry, your connectivity will be via these.

I'm interested in your idea, keep me in the loop, I may be closer to this thing than you'd expect.

Happy New Year Everyone!

(1) (Reply)

Vivo X60 And X60 Pro Announced With 5nm Exynos 1080 Chipsets / How To Fix Gmail Attachment Issue? / What Is Bluetooth Beacon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.