Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment (27288 Views)

48 Million Nigerians Still Defecate Openly – FG / 20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists / Top 6 Causes Of Kidney Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

Was it just water that got you healed?
I spent so much on drugs but nothing happened. I just gave up. God healed me
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chatflick:

Thank God for healing you..
But what where your symptoms before heading to the hospital?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 10:20pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

Side pains.. Specifically the left side and it was as if something was there. I couldn't sleep well due to the pains because if I sleep on my left side, it is wahala
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 10:20pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

Are you having pains?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 10:31pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chatflick:

Are you having pains?
yea...which part of ur body where you having pains?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 10:33pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chatflick:

Side pains.. Specifically the left side and it was as if something was there. I couldn't sleep well due to the pains because if I sleep on my left side, it is wahala
Yea am having side pains too...was urs severe?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

At first, yes but after when the doctor diagnosed me with minor left kidney infection, I was given drugs of which reduced the pains drastically though I was still feeling pains a little from time to time.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

Sorry about the pains. Try and see a doctor. I was literally scared though at that time
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chatflick:

At first, yes but after when the doctor diagnosed me with minor left kidney infection, I was given drugs of which reduced the pains drastically though I was still feeling pains a little from time to time.
but mine isn't severe,,The pains come and go...And the pains also reduces each time I take enough water.

Where you having malaria like symptoms too?

Though am yet to go see my doctor to ascertain the cause of the pains.

And how did you finally get healed?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by chukwumzurum(m): 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2021
And I just lost a friend 3 days ago due to the high cost of kidney disease treatment.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 10:41pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ezi1993:

but mine isn't severe,,The pains come and go...And the pains also reduces each time I take enough water.
Yes. Taking enough water reduces it very well. I drink two cups of water immediately I wake up. Also watch what you eat. Don't eat foods that contain much starch or thick foods like fufu
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chatflick:

Yes. Taking enough water reduces it very well. I drink two cups of water immediately I wake up. Also watch what you eat. Don't eat foods that contain much starch or thick foods like fufu

Please what type of test did you run so I can go run mine on Monday.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by chijokz(m): 7:45am On Jan 03, 2021
Ezi1993:

please oo,,do you mean that we shouldn't consume indomie a bit cos i don't joke with indomie..
Indomie is a highly processed food that's very high in sodium with almost no nutrition.
Maybe once a week is fine but drink lots of water after.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 8:35am On Jan 03, 2021
chijokz:

Indomie is a highly processed food that's very high in sodium with almost no nutrition.
Maybe once a week is fine but drink lots of water after.
ok..you said initially that you spent a lot of money without seeing results....How?? but you also said that you are fine now.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 8:43am On Jan 03, 2021
Ezi1993:

Please what type of test did you run so I can go run mine on Monday.
I did a full body scan
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Mummymahdi(f): 8:55am On Jan 03, 2021
grandlexuz:

Dont mind the mumu. Sorry to hear you have CKD. It is not a dead sentence at all and depends on the stage and your GFR. Are you diabetic? Do you have high blood pressure? Are you seeing a nephrologist (Kidney doctor)? There are medications known as ACE and ARB that slow progression of CKD while helping with other causes like diabetes and high blood pressure.

Yes sir am seeing a doctor , am on medication but sometimes things get out of hand financially,though I have BP but am not diabetic. I don't know about ACE I will ask if its something we can afford.

I find ur comment helpful. Thanks alot
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2021
Chatflick:
I did a full body scan
Ok dear tnks a lot... So I should tell the doctor that I wanna do a full body scan??
And will the full body scan detect other health related issues if any??
How much were charged for it?
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2021
Ezi1993:

Ok dear tnks a lot...
So I should tell the doctor that I wanna do a full body scan??

And will the full body scan detect other health related issues if any??

How much were charged for it?
Scan is around 2500 or at most 3k. Just tell the doctor you want to do a scan and if he ask why then tell him you're feeling pains in your body... Describe it fully
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Preshob(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2021
chijokz:

1. Stop consuming high sodium foods like indomie
2. Stop all soft drinks like Coke, etc
3. Check your BP every month.
4. Drink lots of water everyday especially before going to bed.
5. Take multivitamin supplements.
6. Minimize alcohol consumption.

please take that number 4 out biko. Drinking lots of water before going to bed puts the bladder and kidneys in a big stress cause one is not able to pass out the resultant urine on time while asleep, which ultimately affects the kidneys. Drinking water first thing after waking up should be encouraged instead, as this will help the kidney flush out impurities in the blood. Na God dey save us sha

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by chijokz(m): 1:49pm On Jan 03, 2021
Preshob:

please take that number 4 out biko. Drinking lots of water before going to bed puts the bladder and kidneys in a big stress cause one is not able to pass out the resultant urine on time while asleep with ultimately affects the kidneys. Drinking water first thing after waking up should be encouraged instead as this will help the kidney flush out impurities in the blood. Na God dey save us sha
Thanks for your correction and input.

1 Like

Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by eyinjuege: 2:19pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
alcohol,drug abuse and bleaching creams are the major causes
What sort of bleaching creams are we talking about? People don't use mercury based ones anymore and even hydroquinone is still used safely by dermatologists.
Are you sure about your claims of bleaching creams or still using information from the 70s and 80s?
Alcohol, smoking, HYPERTENSION, DIABETES, genetics , obesity are the major risk factors I know
Why it's important certain lifestyle changes like exercise, healthy diet, stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake to reasonable amounts etc are important to prevent these risk factors.

An excerpt from the post on the common causes in Nigeria:

[/b]If you are looking at different age groups that have different cause, then, diabetes is the number three causes of kidney disease. In males, we have prostate enlargement or bladder outlet obstruction; this is another cause of chronic kidney disease.

We also have sickle cell disease. There is also a condition inherently from the family called polycystic kidney disease and also infections that causes chronic kidney disease like HIV infection. Chronic hepatitis B infection and Hepatitis C all cause chronic kidney disease. Another one coming up is chronic kidney disease of unknown causes,” he said.[b]
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by eyinjuege: 2:24pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
it could also be agbo or use of expired drugs or excessive use of drugs like paracetamol

Paracetamol is more linked to liver disease...I doubt expired drugs have any significant effect on the kidneys either.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by martineverest(m): 2:38pm On Jan 03, 2021
eyinjuege:

What sort of bleaching creams are we talking about? People don't use mercury based ones anymore and even hydroquinone is still used safely by dermatologists.
Are you sure about your claims of bleaching creams or still using information from the 70s and 80s?
Alcohol, smoking, HYPERTENSION, DIABETES, genetics , obesity are the major risk factors I know
Why it's important certain lifestyle changes like exercise, healthy diet, stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake to reasonable amounts etc are important to prevent these risk factors.

An excerpt from the post on the common causes in Nigeria:

[/b]If you are looking at different age groups that have different cause, then, diabetes is the number three causes of kidney disease. In males, we have prostate enlargement or bladder outlet obstruction; this is another cause of chronic kidney disease.

We also have sickle cell disease. There is also a condition inherently from the family called polycystic kidney disease and also infections that causes chronic kidney disease like HIV infection. Chronic hepatitis B infection and Hepatitis C all cause chronic kidney disease. Another one coming up is chronic kidney disease of unknown causes,” he said.[b]

the keyword in your comment is 'dermatologist'....how many local bleaching creams makers are certified dermatologist or cosmetologists?.....almost every streets/ bus stops in Lagos got bleaching cream mixing shops that never adhere strictly to international safety standards
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by eyinjuege: 2:41pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
now imagine those bleaching creams made by people who never had degrees in cosmetology and dermatology will now make creams with high level of hydroquinone and co cos they want their creams to be more effective at bleaching the skin within days

There are more products used in bleaching creams other than any of those products mentioned
They are equally as effective too.
Some products used in bleaching are actually even healthy like gluthathione which is a powerful antioxidant but can also reduce melanin production in the body.
Things aren't always as straight forward. I used to think bleaching creams were all about the mercury and hydroquinone but with a little interest in cosmetology discovered it's not so.
Bleaching is a very sensitive topic in our society, some underlying self esteem issues too etc. But it's not the cause of kidney failure in Nigeria.
People also seem to forget genetics, as some types run in families.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by eyinjuege: 2:54pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
the keyword in your comment is 'dermatologist'....how many local bleaching creams makers are certified dermatologist or cosmetologists?.....almost every streets/ bus stops in Lagos got bleaching cream mixing shops that never adhere strictly to international safety standards

Bleaching creams are not linked with kidney disease, but I agree they should be regulated.
Please let's not leave leprosy to start treating ringworm. Meaning let's tackle the main causes like diabetes, hypertension by encouraging exercise, healthy diet, weight loss/avoid obesity instead of hammering on bleaching creams which are not even reckoned with in the cause of this terrible disease.
We have many young people walking with hypertension in our environment. Someone close to me was diagnosed with essential hypertension at the age of 23 years after all the tests which came out normal.
Imagine walking about with that BP for a decade without doing anything and then suddenly having a stroke in your 40s?
This person has been on medications for over 20 years and BP is doing well.
Being black and being a man increases your risk of hypertension, so watch your BP to avoid stories that touch with kidney problems.
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by martineverest(m): 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2021
eyinjuege:

There are more products used in bleaching creams other than any of those products mentioned
They are equally as effective too.
Some products used in bleaching are actually even healthy like gluthathione which is a powerful antioxidant but can also reduce melanin production in the body.
Things aren't always as straight forward. I used to think bleaching creams were all about the mercury and hydroquinone but with a little interest in cosmetology discovered it's not so.
Bleaching is a very sensitive topic in our society, some underlying self esteem issues too etc. But it's not the cause of kidney failure in Nigeria.
People also seem to forget genetics, as some types run in families.
high glutathione usage and steroids found in bleaching creams causes kidney failure bro...Google is your friend
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by martineverest(m): 3:47pm On Jan 03, 2021
eyinjuege:

Bleaching creams are not linked with kidney disease, but I agree they should be regulated.
Please let's not leave leprosy to start treating ringworm. Meaning let's tackle the main causes like diabetes, hypertension by encouraging exercise, healthy diet, weight loss/avoid obesity instead of hammering on bleaching creams which are not even reckoned with in the cause of this terrible disease.
We have many young people walking with hypertension in our environment. Someone close to me was diagnosed with essential hypertension at the age of 23 years after all the tests which came out normal.
Imagine walking about with that BP for a decade without doing anything and then suddenly having a stroke in your 40s?
This person has been on medications for over 20 years and BP is doing well.
Being black and being a man increases your risk of hypertension, so watch your BP to avoid stories that touch with kidney problems.
Oga, I'm my previous comments I didn't only mention creams as it's only cause,but also alcohol and drug abuse

some chemical contents like hydroquinone, mercury, steroid and high glutathione in bleaching creams causes kidney failure....Google is your friend
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by martineverest(m): 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2021
Chatflick:

my cousin drank a lot of water and cucumber when he had it, sometimes his kidney pick up... sadly,he lost his life due to high BP he kept having
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Chatflick(m): 4:05pm On Jan 03, 2021
martineverest:
my cousin drank a lot of water and cucumber when he had it, sometimes his kidney pick up... sadly,he lost his life due to high BP he kept having
Sorry for your loss bro. What gave him high BP
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by olagamalin(m): 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2021
hernandson:
That's the best price I can give sir, also have twitter account for sale too 13.3k, 800,1k+ too

How much is your Twitter account abeg
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by martineverest(m): 4:24pm On Jan 03, 2021
Chatflick:

Sorry for your loss bro. What gave him high BP
he was thinking all thru.... especially how to raise money for dialysis
Re: 20 Million Nigerians Battle Kidney Disease, Expensive Treatment by Ezi1993(f): 4:53pm On Jan 03, 2021
Chatflick:

Scan is around 2500 or at most 3k. Just tell the doctor you want to do a scan and if he ask why then tell him you're feeling pains in your body... Describe it fully
ok dear...tnks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of Air Pollution From Nembe Waterside Port Harcourt Seen This Morning / How Can One Gain Weight Easily? / Ladies Check Your Bra Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.