Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Tithing: An Interesting Article - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing: An Interesting Article (3777 Views)

An interesting story of a one way journey,a life jacket and a river.A must read / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by free123: 8:35am On Apr 02, 2011
fynguy how far now
how much have u made from that business of yours? Abi na 4 1 9?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by debosky(m): 8:59am On Apr 02, 2011
@ Snowwy

Thanks for the response. To clarify, nowhere was the 'right to support' equivalent to tithe? Right?

Again, let's refrain from mixing things up - the reason the Levites received tithe was because they had no land/inheritance. Only a 'tithe of the tithe' went to the priests.

If we are to follow this example to facilitate the preachers to do their work, that would amount to 1% and not 10% would it not?

As for King Hezekiah, of course he didn't need to tell the people to tithe - the law as passsed down from Moses was clearly in operation, so there was no need for another instruction to be given.

Living off the gospel has little or nothing to do with tithe - Jesus did not collect tithe though he received gifts from others. Paul did not collect tithes - people gave to support his ministry, but never in an enforced compliance to any OT percentage.

Besides, the tithe was always food, except where the folk in the OT were too far away to take it, so how can this ever relate to today's practice of tithe? Secondly, we all know that we are a kingdom of priests - if we are all priests, who is paying tithe to who? cheesy

To surmise - there is no such thing as the tithe of support - the support received by Paul was from donations freely given, not a mandated percentage of income.

Ministers of the gospel should be supported, but DO NOT NEED TO TWIST BIBLICAL TEACHINGS in order to receive support.

Paul was supported, the people of Macedonia gave freely[b] without[/b] requiring some twisting of OT teachings to get them to give.

It is against the clear example set in the bible to now try to force in tithe under the pretext of providing support. If Jesus, Paul and the apostles never required tithing in order to support themselves in ministry, why should anyone else do so today?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 9:10am On Apr 02, 2011
debosky:

@ Snowwy

Thanks for the response. To clarify, nowhere was the 'right to support' equivalent to tithe? Right?

Again, let's refrain from mixing things up - the reason the Levites received tithe was because they had no land/inheritance. Only a 'tithe of the tithe' went to the priests.

If we are to follow this example to facilitate the preachers to do their work, that would amount to 1% and not 10% would it not?

As for King Hezekiah, of course he didn't need to tell the people to tithe - the law as passsed down from Moses was clearly in operation, so there was no need for another instruction to be given.

Living off the gospel has little or nothing to do with tithe - Jesus did not collect tithe though he received gifts from others. Paul did not collect tithes - people gave to support his ministry, but never in an enforced compliance to any OT percentage.

Besides, the tithe was always food, except where the folk in the OT were too far away to take it, so how can this ever relate to today's practice of tithe? Secondly, we all know that we are a kingdom of priests - if we are all priests, who is paying tithe to who? cheesy

To surmise - there is no such thing as the tithe of support - the support received by Paul was from donations freely given, not a mandated percentage of income.

Ministers of the gospel should be supported, but DO NOT NEED TO TWIST BIBLICAL TEACHINGS in order to receive support.

Paul was supported, the people of Macedonia gave freely[b] without[/b] requiring some twisting of OT teachings to get them to give.

It is against the clear example set in the bible to now try to force in tithe under the pretext of providing support. If Jesus, Paul and the apostles never required tithing in order to support themselves in ministry, why should anyone else do so today?

Well said @debosky cheesy
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by KunleOshob(m): 9:15am On Apr 02, 2011
Brilliant, objective and factual position by debosky. Kudos
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 9:26am On Apr 02, 2011
@debosky,
I refrained from saying much in my post to you and that is where I pointed you to the scriptures.
Since it's hard for you to understand what a 'right is' as Paul showed you using the OT law, please show us where the new 1% you came up with arose from?
You have now come up with your own assumptions of 1% without showing any scriptural reference. New doctrine from Debosky! Adding to the scriptures.

As usual, no support of what you have quoted from the bible. You have, in other words, said Apostle Paul is 'twisting' the OT law to his benefit. lipsrsealed

However, since my inferences from the scriptures are now 'twisting' while your own statements are 'valid', let us leave the matter for God.
Afterall, it's you and the others are getting worked up over tithing. We do it with joy and a host of other givings and helping the poor/needy. cheesy
My prayer for you still stands that the Holy Spirit will teach you. It's your choice.
Cheers. cool

P.S
If those that are hailing you for your right up are focusing on what you highlighted as 1%, it shows how 'brilliant' they really are. If giving the portion due to the Levites and Priests now translates to 1% then you guys are sure showing poor understanding indeed.
Those that serve at the altar are both the priests and the levites. Chei! understanding sha
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 9:43am On Apr 02, 2011
@snowwy,
The old testament levites and priests did not own lands neither did they work, they received tithes of the people based on this. Your modern day pastors are a sharp contrast to this, they work, own and run mega businesses yet demand for 'right of support'.
Any justification for this?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:05am On Apr 02, 2011
@Sirjohn,
Maybe because even though Paul worked, he still quoted the scripture below:

I Corinthians 9:11-12
11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 10:24am On Apr 02, 2011
Snowwy:

@Sirjohn,
Maybe because even though Paul worked, he still quoted the scripture below:

I Corinthians 9:11-12
11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather?

Doesn't that tell you he couldn't have been talking about tithes, can you point out where Paul received a specified percentage from any church or persons? ? ? If you cannot, don't you think your theology is flawed regarding tithing? ?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:30am On Apr 02, 2011
SirJohn:

Doesn't that tell you he couldn't have been talking about tithes, can you point out where Paul received a specified percentage from any church or persons? ? ? If you cannot, don't you think your theology is flawed regarding tithing? ?

Sir John,
I have no theology. I showed you the scriptures and the questions you asked was asked by Debosky. You have already seen my response and you commended his.
You also do not need to act like you don't see' tithing as flawed' already. You don't need to act like I am trying to convince you.

12 If others be partakers of this 'power over you' are not we rather?

May be you can however explain (in context please) what 'power over you' Paul was talking about. It's scripture remember so whatever you respond on it, shows how you take scripture.
Have a nice day.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 11:08am On Apr 02, 2011
Happy reading:

1 Cor 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Paul is clearly speaking to the brethren about receiving from them for his efforts in doing God's work. Many say this is speaking about tithing, but that Paul didn't want to hinder God's work by correcting the brethren about not giving to the ministry. Would teaching and correcting the Corinthians about tithing,  if it were God's law, be hindering God's work? I think not. The very context of these scriptures doesn't speak about not placing pressure on them to "tithe" but that God expects the church to support the gospel. "Ordained" isn't the best word to use here as the Interlinear Bible shows,

Ordained = NT:1299 diatasso (dee-at-as'-so); from NT:1223 and NT:5021; to arrange thoroughly, i.e. (specially) institute, prescribe, etc.: - appoint, command, give, (set in) order, ordain.

Paul states,  "Do you not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter?"

Some say this is clearly referring to tithing, and this is true, but Paul goes on to contrast THAT with "living of the gospel." Wouldn't a tithing law be part of such a gospel? Why would Paul make such a contrast? The temple sacrifices were no longer necessary and Paul knew this. He used the reference to tithes and temple duties as one picture, then speaks about "living of the gospel" as another,  in other words, living of the NEW Testament gospel that directly addresses giving and providing for God's work.

If there ever was a time that Paul could have directly addressed tithing, this is it, yet he speaks of God supporting the work of the church through those things given FOR that work.

Some scriptures are quoted as a direct reference to tithing,  "power over you" in 1 Cor 9:12 doesn't necessarily mean law or command:

Power = NT:1849 = exousia (ex-oo-see'-ah); from NT:1832 (in the sense of ability); privilege, i.e. (subjectively) force, capacity, competency, freedom, or (objectively) mastery (concretely, magistrate, superhuman, potentate, token of control), delegated influence: KJV - authority, jurisdiction, liberty, power, right, strength.

There are various ways to interpret this scripture, and the very first is "privilege," which is exactly what Paul is referring to. Notice Paul states that they did not use this "privilege", or "subjective force" so as to not burden them. Subjective means it was his choice to make to ask for support that should have been given willingly.

Paul spoke of no other church providing him support but the Philippians alone. He chided and corrected the Corinthians on virtually every other issue, so would he let slide not giving "commanded" tithes especially if it hindered the work of the Gospel?

Some claim he didn't so as to not put a "burden" on them. This would be making Paul the judge of what is God's law and what could be broken. Paul's character was NOT to back down from God's law, in this case, supposedly tithing, but wasn't willing to place a big burden on the Corinthians.

Notice 1 Cor 9:18: "What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel."

How can we say that Paul is speaking about tithing here? He's plainly talking about doing his work of preaching the gospel without charging the Corinthians with supporting him. He didn't want to abuse the privilege to be supported by them. In other words, demanding and putting pressure on them that they cough up money to support him. Paul was much more converted than that.

Their "giving" spirit wasn't real spiritual as yet. Paul wouldn't call God's law a burden, even one part of it. The burden is men's traditions that extract various forms of finances, tithing being one taught under the guise of God's command. Paul trusted God to supply his needs, and God did.

Notice 1 Cor 9:19: "For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant to all, that I might gain the more."

Paul clearly is continuing the context of giving and how he has accepted being the "servant" to the point of not receiving financial or other support from them. Look at all that Paul corrected the Corinthians on,

1 Cor 3:3 For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men? 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.

1 Cor 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

1 Cor 4:18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.

1 Cor 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

1 Cor 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know you not that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

1 Cor 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

1 Cor 6:1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

1 Cor 6:5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

1 Cor 6:7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because you go to law one with another.

1 Cor 6:8 Nay, you do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

After all this correction, on some pretty meaty issues, are we to believe that Paul suddenly became concerned that he might "burden" the Corinthians by correcting them on the issue of tithing? What happened to the blessings many point to in Malachi for "tithing?" Paul would certainly have reminded them about tithing blessings and NOT called it a burden.

The whole 9th chapter is on the subject of supporting Paul and the other apostles for their efforts in the Gospel. Paul actually DOES correct them about their un-giving attitudes, yet he mentions nothing about breaking God's law or any other aspect of a "commanded" tithe that they were breaking.

Philippians 4 further bears this context out:

Phil 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein you were also careful, but youlacked opportunity.

If tithing were commanded and an ongoing practice, then why would the Philippians "lack opportunity" to give to the work of the ministry? With all the church areas Paul traveled to, he certainly wouldn't have lacked funds if tithing were being practiced.

Phil 4:14 Notwithstanding you have well done, that you did communicate (be partaker) with my affliction. 15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated (NT:2841 = to share with others (objectively or subjectively): - communicate, distribute, be partaker). . . with me as concerning giving and receiving, but you only.

Again, giving and receiving is the issue, and Paul is stating that the Philippians were the only ones that did anything toward providing for Paul's needs up to that point,

:16 For even in Thessalonica you sent once and again to my necessity. 17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God.

Paul clearly distinguishes the fact that the giving they did was to his necessity, but that it wasn't because he wanted a gift, but that their free willed giving which came from their hearts would please God and be a spiritual blessing to them. Paul wouldn't call what was commanded by God, a "gift" or treat it as such. A gift clearly implies free will giving.

Lastly, in 2 Cor 11:7 Have I committed an offense in abasing myself that you might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely? 8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service. 9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome to you, and so will I keep myself,  (Paul will keep,  pay for and support, himself).

Wages = NT:3800 - opsonion (op-so'-nee-on); neuter of a presumed derivative of the same as NT:3795; rations for a soldier, i.e. (by extension) his stipend or pay:

Paul again is speaking about giving, not tithing. A wage is NOT a tithe. He speaks of preaching the gospel "freely." He mentions "robbing" other church areas so he could continue to do God's work in Corinth. He took nothing from them, even when he was in need, but was supplied by others in Macedonia. He certainly wouldn't have been "robbing" anyone if this were tithes he was referring to. Using the word "robbed" was to prick their conscience for their not being generous and supportive of God's work whereas others were.

Paul didn't want to be a burden to them. How can we conclude that tithing is an issue here? He wouldn't have hammered them on all those other spiritual points and then suddenly cower from mentioning tithing if it were a law they were breaking. The law they were breaking was in greed, or being ungenerous, which speaks of their carnality that he mentioned throughout.

I understand how these scriptures could be used to try to point to tithing, but this is just presumption based on the belief that tithing is a law. There is no real evidence in any of these scriptures that could override all the counter evidence pointing away from tithing as a commanded law, and toward giving and sharing as the spirit of the law.

http://godkind.org/tithing.html
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 11:57am On Apr 02, 2011
Thanks sirjohn,
for pasting the response of another author's interpretation.
Cheers.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by KunleOshob(m): 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
I am sick of this lie that it was tithes that was used for the sustenance of the priests in Israel, there is nothing further from the truth than this as the levitical tithes was given just once a year and in some instances once in three years. Clearly this could not be their regular means of support. If you study the books of leviticus chapters 2,3,4,5,6&7 and also Numbers chapter 28 & 29 you would come across the various types of regular offerings God ordained for the sustainance of the priests. These offerings were namely:
Grain offerings
Fellowship offerings
Sin offerings
Repayment offerings
Regular/sabbath offerings
Monthly offerings
Festival offerings
New year offerings
&
Atonement offerings

It is a malicious lie from the pits of hell to allege that God's plan for taking care of the priests was tithes which was dones once a year to celebrate their yearly harvest as opposed to all the other regular offerings listed above just becos tithing as been conviniently manipulated and twisted by the mordern clergy for their selfish benefit. So when was even talking of benefiting of those who ministered at the alter he was clearly refering to the more regular temple offerings rather than the once in a year tithes of harvest. That aside paul being a man well learned in the Jewish laws could never have asked for tithes as tithes was the exclusive preserve of levites and Paul being from the tribe of benjamin would have been sinning if he preached or accepted tithes since the law wouldn't have allowed it and Paul wasn't in the habit of manipulating scripture for his benefit like our modern day preachers.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 12:09pm On Apr 02, 2011
Snowwy:

Thanks sirjohn,
Cheers.

You need not state the obvious my friend, I even put the source there for you. You needed an answer, I have provided one, address the issue and stop running around circles. smiley
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by ogajim(m): 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2011
These CEC folks and their theological acrobatics!

I have yet to come across any Scripture where Paul mentioned tithes, paid tithes or collected tithes because he was not a Levite and couldn't have collected under the Law.

I have not seen any "opponents" of tithe advise folks not to give any percentage to the needy, widows, orphans, church etc.

You guys need to get your act together because the tithe scam will dry up soon as more and more people study the Scriptures for themselves instead of taking their "MOG" interpretation and "teaching".
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by seriousyan: 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2011
I' crym so happy to have come about this whether or not that discovery about tithing is disprovable. First a tithe isn't a bad thing, though its not compulsory or a sin if you don't tithe (God doesn't need your money the poor people do), but its good to help you're church grow once in a while. However, what irks me is that many Nigerians today pay tithe because thy want to see some "miracle" in their life. WOW! To be honest pastors of all these new churches springing up everywhere are either just taking your money or expanding their church nothing more. Those pastors, have nothing to offer you other than the good news which is Christ. Maybe they are some miracle workers out there i don't know but one shouldn't rely solely on miracles when there is faith. For the most part, just in case you don't know, all the miracle you need has been given to you. The endless possibility called life God has given man to use, discover and benefit from is one (there are many other realistic miracles out there; doctors who help the wounded, mechanics who fix your car so you can make it to that meeting, the purewater man on the go slow you meet when your thirsty etc). Its just that the problems in Nigeria are so much that the miracles we now expect tend to be "very extraordinary." This is just to let people know, but as for your tithe pay it if you feel if will help your church (if you love your church so much), or if you don't pay help the less privilege.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Zikkyy(m): 9:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
Snowwy:

P.S
If those that are hailing you for your right up are focusing on what you highlighted as 1%, it shows how 'brilliant' they really are. If giving the portion due to the Levites and Priests now translates to 1% then you guys are sure showing poor understanding indeed.
Those that serve at the altar are both the priests and the levites. Chei! understanding sha

A priest is first a Levite before he is considered for the priestly position. But priests don't receive 10% of the peoples tithe, they receive 1%. That's what they are entitled to smiley It is the (non-priest) Levite that receives 10% of the peoples tithe. There is nothing wrong with debosky's post jare angry

The levitical tithe does not even get to the altar, so i don't know what you are talking about. You need to do more reading to discover what was offered on the altar.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Ndipe(m): 1:11am On Apr 03, 2011
An eye opener. Thanks for this information.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Zikkyy(m): 6:02am On Apr 03, 2011
Snowwy:

Thanks sirjohn,
Cheers.

This all you have to say i think you can do better smiley I advise you read more of the bible, (and reduce your dependence on RoR wink)
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 5:59pm On Apr 03, 2011
ogajim:

These CEC folks and their theological acrobatics!

I have yet to come across any Scripture where Paul mentioned tithes, paid tithes or collected tithes because he was not a Levite and couldn't have collected under the Law.

I have not seen any "opponents" of tithe advise folks not to give any percentage to the needy, widows, orphans, church etc.
You guys need to get your act together because the tithe scam will dry up soon as more and more people study the Scriptures for themselves instead of taking their "MOG" interpretation and "teaching".

Was melchizededk a levite? You don't judge christian deed by the standard of the law.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

Was melchizededk a levite? You don't judge christian deed by the standard of the law.

Your point exactly? ?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2011
Trying to analyse tithing according to mosaic law doesn't make sense. If tithing preceded the law, why using regulations under the law to determine christian tithing.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 7:39pm On Apr 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

Trying to analyse tithing according to mosaic law doesn't make sense. If tithing preceded the law, why using regulations under the law to determine christian tithing.

Thats because your friend snowwy tried to link modern day tithing with the law of tithing (read his posts), I responded to that and he ran away.
secondly Jo, the two examples of pre-mosaic tithing recorded in the bible was not done based on any divine commandment. Jacob promised to give God a tenth 'if' God blessed him (no record if he ever gave it) Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war (not of what he owned) to Melchizedek, both were not recorded to have continued the practice.
You know all this Jo, we need not flog this issue further.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 7:43pm On Apr 03, 2011
Burnt offering also preceded the Mosaic law. It even preceded Abram. When last did you CEC "tithe-mongers" wave 2 lambs above your head?

You people are patently dishonest and it is obvious tithe is why you are becoming "pastors", not a love for people or a calling from God.

You mock truth openly using scripture like a lawyer defending a confirmed criminal; twisting, insisting on literal translations when it suits you then turning back and saying "the letter killeth" when that suits you. How can you NOT fear God? You say you see miracles and know the power of God yet you show Him no honor or fear.

No wonder you too are becoming a mockery more and more daily.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Enigma(m): 8:21pm On Apr 03, 2011
Of course the tithe mongers like Joagbaje and CEC in particular are as dishonest and disingenuous as they come.

This same Joagbaje gleefully pronounced "Jesus didn't function under the New Testament" ----- yet he will say he is relying on the example of Abraham for the New Testament Christian --- so it was Abraham who "functioned under the New Testament" --- and of course only in relation to "tithing". Nonsense.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Allta(m): 8:45pm On Apr 03, 2011
nuclearboy:

Burnt offering also preceded the Mosaic law. It even preceded Abram. When last did you CEC "tithe-mongers" wave 2 lambs above your head?
I love this one, thanks nuclearboy.

I've always and will always give with free will to the church and the needy. Whether that is 10%, 20% or 60%; it's btw me and my God.

I respect the leadership in my church but don't agree that God will punish me if I don't submit an envelop with the word TITHE written on it. One day, my pastor approached me and said: "Bro, we notice only your wife pays Tithe, but your total offerings in the month consistently surpasses her monthly tithes; I'm curious and would like to know why"?

I simply answered: "Pastor, I give freely more than 10% of my monthly income but dont believe I must write the word TITHE on any of the envelopes". Then ofcourse he stared quoting the Malachi lines,

Personally, I believe there is no record that Christ paid or received TITHE as described in Malachi and most importantly in Deut, neither was there a record for Paul, Peter, Timothy. I'm not trying to choose which testament to believe and obey only the words in the NEW rather than the OLD testaments, I'm only trying to be like "Christ", not "Abram"

In modern day "Pentecostal" Churches, some Pastors tender the notion that money is more tenable than the fruits of harvests as described in Deut. Are they not thereby twisting the word? Deut shows clearly how often Tithing was done then, but these days, some preachers chose to go monthly routine rather than how it was mentioned in Deut.

The funny/interesting thing is, they don't burn sacrifices as they do in OT, now are they not been selective on which law to follow and which not to within the OT itself?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 8:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
^^

It is obvious that the supporters here are those who collect. You will notice it is only the "ideas"that bring money into select pockets that they sell. Holiness, truth, contentment etc are never found in their fights and in their "gospel".

These are those whom the Word says see the Gospel as a means to self-gain. They are false teachers to be wary of
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by free123: 10:01pm On Apr 03, 2011
u guys are still on this tithe issue when it is obvious that cec can not close its business because of ur submissions. But i must advise u guys to keep those submissions coming for the sake of our readers who are yet to know the truth concerning tithes
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2011
Hi guys, interesting reads from everyone.
Sir John, it's strange you say I ran away. I wonder also how you say I am linking tithe from the OT to the new testament?
Paul said they that minister by the holy things of the temple live by the things of the temple, same for those that minister by the altar live by the things of the altar.
God said tithes are holy to the Him. Paul said, IN THE SAME WAY, the Lord COMMANDED that those that preach the gospel shall live of the gospel.
I wonder how I am now the one that is linking it to the OT since its clearly stated in the bible.
And Paul was referring to the priests and the levites (they).

You guys will keep hating Mal 3:10 as you don't tithe.
God said He was being robbed in both tithe and offering, that shows they are distinct. Nothing wrong in paying tithe and offering therefore.
It's you guys making a big deal of your not tithing.
God said prove Him in tithe, since you don't tithe, you can't prove Him with it. Simple.
Those that tithe are enjoying the blessings God said go with it.

However, when I asked you a question on this you ran to an internet page and cut and paste someones interpretation. You have no personal conviction on it therefore.

As for burnt offering, it seems you guys deliberately overlooked where I quoted hebrews that its not acceptable anymore.

For those running around saying the church talks about money, it's you guys having an issue with it not us. Apart from tithes, offerings, firstfruits, helping the poor in cash and kind, welfare givings are all part of what we do.
I love giving  kiss and make no apology for it. I will keep being a channel of God's blessing because He has really blessed me.
If you guys have an issue with it, there's nothing u can do about it.
I rest my case.
Goodnight.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Allta(m): 10:50pm On Apr 03, 2011
^^^

The discussion over this topic will never end. But I always feel bitter when some Pastors mount the pulpit and say cursed are those who don't tithe as written in Malachi!

Personally, I feel terrible hearing this and wish I could act like Christ did when he saw some folks gambling within the temple premises. If Christ isn't cursed having not paid Tithe, if Paul wasn't cursed, Timothy, Peter etc. Why should some preachers say those that follow their footsteps and teachings are?

Having said this, I sincerely dont have issues with tithing, personally, I see it as a form of giving, any form of giving will always be rewarded. What a man sow, he must surely reap. Whether it's offering, or thanksgiving offering, or building project offering, or offering for the needy and poor, or offering for the upkeep of missionaries on the field, Givers surely don't lack. Even non-Christians operate this principle and benefits from it. The principle of free-will giving to aid those who don't have.

But to come out and say cursed are those who don't pay Tithe is what I hate with passion. Seriously, a man can't give what he doesn't have in he first place. There are plenty of those in debts trying to get out of it, and pastors will force them to pay tithe into the church rather than teach them on how to manage their income by prioritising payment of their debts. The church gets so much from its members, but how many churches labour to create financial equality amongst their members?

My pastor has told me before that anyone who needs anything from the church will have their giving and contributions records checked first? This baffles me and seriously don't think Christ will be happy too. If not my wife, I'd wanted to stop writing my name on the envelopes since then. We have now turned the church that Christ paid his life for into business venture exploiting the poor and feeding them man made/twisted stories we call tithing principles
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Ndipe(m): 10:55pm On Apr 03, 2011
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Allta(m): 11:05pm On Apr 03, 2011
Ndipe:

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id154.html

Very interesting article, need to print this when I get to office tomorrow. Thanks @Ndipe
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Ndipe(m): 11:17pm On Apr 03, 2011
Allta:

Very interesting article, need to print this when I get to office tomorrow. Thanks @Ndipe

You are welcome.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/07/survey-minority-of-evangelical-leaders-say-bible-requires-tithing/?hpt=C2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria White Garment Churches And Other Taking Over Houston, USA (picture) / Why Doesn't God Audibly Tell People Not To Do Certain Things? / Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.