Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) (55069 Views)

Yam Setts/seed Yam Available. / Press Release: Exporters Debunk Yam Export Rejection Stories / Why US Rejected Nigeria's Yam - Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Ganjafama(m): 9:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
GreatManBee:

Good job well done. If you invested 60k and buyers are only willing to pay 45k. How do you consider that a good investment. Especially looking at all the work you have put into it.
This is the only sensible comment in this thread.

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by onward4life(m): 9:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
jumper524:
So earlier last year, my dad decided to go into yam business. The most common in my area kuje Abuja to be precise.

Since we're just starting, we bought seedlings worth of 40k.
We later found out that seedlings are more expensive and scarce during farming/planting period.
We got the land for free
We paid farmers #20 per ridges and we dug about 500ridges.
Meaning. #20*500= 10,000

Total money spent on investment was approximately#60,000 plus running cost.

The farmers were paid 6k to harvest the whole yam.
Those guys started as early as 6am and we're done by 2pm just 3 of them.

Truck that packed it was paid 1k.

Pic 1 and 2, the big size yams we want to sell. Those buyers are pricing 45k

Pic 3 are the ones for home and family consumption. Any remainder would be added to seedlings.

Pics 4, the small yams we want to preserve as seedlings.

Think we got a lot from our investment in the end.

Bro congrats it's never easy...

Happy for yu an ur family.

I pray yu guys never suffer theft oooo

Peace

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by ikorodureporta: 9:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
who dey price all that thing 45,k

I neva eat yam since wey e cost
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by chubinwa(m): 9:13pm On Jan 30, 2021
thank God for a bountiful harvest
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by KLand(m): 9:18pm On Jan 30, 2021
Sounds so easy and sweet. But I think (yam) farming isn't as simple as it sounded.

Anyway, congratulations on your bountiful harvest. And more power to your elbow.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by francisbarrack(m): 9:18pm On Jan 30, 2021
Uyi168:
I'll definitely go into agric in the nearest future..

If not for d herdsmen, farming is so lucrative n how I wish our youth can invest into it

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by PissfulProtester: 9:19pm On Jan 30, 2021
Kriss216:
Guy, you go chop Yam taya this period. They should nickname you Yamri in your locality.

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Emempaul(m): 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2021
jumper524:
lol.
Bros I no go lie you, even me pity them. but to be honest, those guys were very happy.
they are used to it though..

how did you go about staking as it is a must for yam
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 9:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
netmillionaires:
One thing I like about my mumsie is that when labourers come to work for us back then she would cook and everyone would eat. They may even eat their 3 square meal in our house.
were on same page on this..
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 9:55pm On Jan 30, 2021
frugal:

I tuber costs 600-1200 Naira in Lagos depending on size and season.
I've always wanted to go back to yam farming, but Lagos life no gree me.
omoh e massive oo. chai!! as time goes on, we might exploit this means..
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Mryacks: 9:55pm On Jan 30, 2021
jumper524:
So earlier last year, my dad decided to go into yam business. The most common in my area kuje Abuja to be precise.

We later found out that seedlings are more expensive and scarce during farming/planting period.
We got the land for free
Meaning. #20*500= 10,000

Pic 3 are the ones for home and family consumption. Any remainder would be added to seedlings.

Would like to reach contact....let's talk business.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 10:17pm On Jan 30, 2021
DCTrendy:
You don’t plant the smaller yams as seedlings.
You plant the biggest of it all, so you can get same size next year..

My father was a farmer so I grew in the farm.
Kudos
your the second person telling me this.
thanks for the piece..
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by neutral2000: 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
Wow. Bountiful
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Unclekayfarms: 11:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
axeman10:

Congratulations! Well done. My advise to you, since you guys are just starting.. Use more of the biggest yams as seedlings for next seasons.. Sell off the smaller ones. It is called selective breeding. Continue replanting the best yams you have and few years down the line, not only will you be making bumper harvests of big tubers, other farmer's will start coming to you for seedlings.
My 50 cents.
U never see where smaller yam seedlings grown bigger yams while big yam grown medium yam?
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by billyG(m): 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
anitabella:

Cos he bought seedlings for 40k at the start.. Now after harvesting he has enough yams to sellfor 45k...and seedlings worth more than 50k for another planting...now no need to buy seedlings again... Do the maths
He will start having ROI after d 2nd planting.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Babisha10(m): 11:14pm On Jan 30, 2021
southniyikaye:
Somebody should gimme land, I want to plant yam biko
Come to Taraba state
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by billyG(m): 11:17pm On Jan 30, 2021
Yam farming is not that easy,yams select soil type,U need sacrifice,most at time only 30% turn out big.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 30, 2021
jumper524:

We got the land for free
Meaning. #20*500= 10,000

Wow,thanks to the inscrutable Deo for the bountiful harvest.
God bless your work..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 12:53am On Jan 31, 2021
billyG:
Yam farming is not that easy,yams select soil type,U need sacrifice,most at time only 30% turn out big.
yea we were told to use a particular plot once every 2years.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Nobody: 5:26am On Jan 31, 2021
Awesome.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by shittuyusuf(m): 5:50am On Jan 31, 2021
This what average Nigeria youth should be engaging on but the fear of herdsmen is the beginning of wisdom
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Emempaul(m): 7:01am On Jan 31, 2021
aroundtheearth:
Awesome.
how did you people go about staking. did you stake all of them or did you allow to crawl on the floor

if you allowed some to crawl on the floor what was the outcome of the tuner size. please answer sir
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Gloriouspa(m): 7:04am On Jan 31, 2021
BlueQ:

I like to discuss with you about this. How can I reach you?

When is the best time to plant yam seedlings please?
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Herbephe1(m): 7:06am On Jan 31, 2021
KosiGee:

3 people were paid N6k for hard labour from 06:00-14:00.... That’s N2k each for 8 hours of back breaking job!!

People dey suffer.

so you've never seen people working (cutting grass and planting plantain suckers) from 6am to 7 pm for 1k
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Patrioticbreed9(m): 7:29am On Jan 31, 2021
jumper524:
nice to meet a brother.
I stay in kuchiako.
close to that military check point. infact our farm is even close to the check point..
nice to meet a brother..
that is nice i think kuje is the next big gold in abuja agricultural wise
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Yankee101: 8:12am On Jan 31, 2021
Lovely investment

The best investment that is still sure in the world is farming the right crops at the right time in the right place
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Adeplus: 10:13am On Jan 31, 2021
jumper524:

We got the land for free
Meaning. #20*500= 10,000

Bros I no shame ooo how can you send me 8 tubers of yam for me and my family in Lagos, o go appreciate well o.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by Ayilara1(m): 10:14am On Jan 31, 2021
Seriously, I'm asking with humility. How is this profitable?

If they are to sell everything will they make 100k?
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 10:41am On Jan 31, 2021
Ayilara1:
Seriously, I'm asking with humility. How is this profitable?

If they are to sell everything will they make 100k?
investment was over 65k plus chemical for grasses inclusive.
sold yams worth 45k. there's still enough we can sell for over 30k that we kept for home consumption, we kept another set of seedlings that should me more than 50k worth should farming season start again.
it's our first year In the business.
I hope you understand we would yield more in coming years..
no need to buy seedlings next time.
only paying farmers that would be our cost.

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by GodisFirst: 10:41am On Jan 31, 2021
This is so nice bro. As a business, don't fail to estimate and deduct your own labour (effort, time) added to it. Well done, keep it up. You and your family have succeeded in supporting to provide or make available foods to the world. I pray that this year's output from the farm will be in thousands if not million folds.
My special regards to your Dad. He is the real man.
Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by jumper524(m): 10:43am On Jan 31, 2021
GodisFirst:
This is so nice bro. As a business, don't fail to estimate and deduct your own labour (effort, time) added to it. Well done, keep it up. You and your family have succeeded in supporting to provide or make available foods to the world. I pray that this year's output from the farm will be in thousands if not million folds.
My special regards to your Dad. He is the real man.
thank you brother. maybe our own service of supervising farmers and time dedication should cost 10k.
thanks for the review..

1 Like

Re: See The Proceeds From My Family's Yam Investment (Photos) by GodisFirst: 11:08am On Jan 31, 2021
jumper524:

thank you brother. maybe our own service of supervising farmers and time dedication should cost 10k.
thanks for the review..

You are welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG To Kill Pests In 12 Northern States With N13bn / The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) / Huge Python Killed In Isuikwuato, Abia After Swallowing Sheep (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.