Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,227 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec (3884 Views)

Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them / One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help / Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec by adanny01(m): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2021
Grupo:

My engine still runs silently. Very quiet, in fact.

If you stand beside the car, you will only know it's on when the fan comes on. Yes, the fan and compressor come on and off because the thermostat is still intact.

Let me tell you what kills most cars in Nigeria. Removing thermostat and running the fan directly. Nothing kills an engine more than that. And almost 80% of cars on Nigerian roads have had their thermostats removed. Due to our ignorant mechanics.

The above causes the car to never reach operating temperature. And this causes loud engine sound, more fuel consumption and more wear.

Also, oil performs better at engine operating temperature. But when that temperature is never reached because the thermostat has been removed, oil too will not offer better lubrication.

Now, when you combine the above factor with thicker oil, and infrequent oil change, you have loud engine coupled with disaster.

Every factory component in my car is still intact, with thermostat and original Toyota coolant in radiator.

You now know why it runs silently.

Totally agreed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec by Fundamentalist: 6:12pm On Oct 26, 2021
I have decamped to Mobile 1 10w 30 engine oil. It's what was recommended for my Nissan. I have been in peace. Though 22k is better than constantly visiting a mechanic workshop and I also change my oil myself. Please study your car and follow recommendations or else mechanic go show you pepper grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Autojoshng What Your Take On This / Expert Opinion Wanted: HONDA Accord Crosstour VS LEXUS Rx 350; Which Is Better?? / Kia Motors: The New Kia Soul 2010 Model!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.