Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,349 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident (32831 Views)

5 Family Members Who Died In Road Accident Buried In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Drop Your Tribute For Mr. Blankson Who Died In A Bid To Rescue People(pic) / Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids And 5 Relatives In Boat Accident In US. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by pyro62(m): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2021
He was talked about on the news so much for just 2weeks.. But he deserves more accolades. We want this kind of person as a president. May his soul continue to rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Itzurboi(m): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2021
he saved 13, yemoja abi na mermaid was suppose to save him too na..... abi dem never appoint one for that jurisdiction...

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Buharidgeneral: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
An hero indeed . Rest on

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021
China112:
I remember this guy. He did well.
It was also said on that thread that he was cultist and him trying to save people from dying and also losing his life was a retribution. But what do I know

Modified...

Those quoting me should know there is a thread on this from 2018 although I just joined Nairaland last year
Only wicked people, useless and good for nothing people will say he is a cultist after his heroic feat angry

3 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by alingo2013(m): 11:43am On Jan 05, 2021
Respect man
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by OPUBO7(m): 11:44am On Jan 05, 2021
I respect this man so much from my tribe thou I have never met him but when I get to power I will immortallise you plus the imam who saved the christains from massacre God bless your soul.
COdeGenesis:
Joseph Blankson also known as Joe Blankson (born 29 October 1979 – 28 July 2018) was a Nigerian contractor who died while saving 13 victims of a boat accident. It happened on the Abonnema-Bakana waterway in Rivers State on 28 July 2018.

On Saturday 28 July 2018, the boat carrying 25 passengers left Abonnema Wharf for Bakana. Blankson and his sister were traveling to Bakana for a funeral. It was raining heavily during the boat's passage and the river was full of debris. Eventually the boat capsized.

Blankson swam in and out of the river 13 times to rescue the passengers. Suffering from exhaustion, he drowned on the 14th rescue attempt. It was reported that Blankson was the only fatality in the boat accident

Blankson's body was recovered a day later after the accident; he was buried the same day in the river according to customs over drowning. A service of songs in honour of the deceased was held and well attended.

On 29 July 2019, The Joe Blankson Foundation and swimming academy was setup in his honour by his wife and family to teach swimming and safety procedures for maritime travel.

The former senate president, Bukola Saraki and former vice president, Atiku Abubakar both tweeted about the incident, praising the heroic act of Blankson.

The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike promised to support Blankson's family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Blankson#:~:text=Joseph%20Blankson%20also%20known%20as,State%20on%2028%20July%202018.

3 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by MossLuv: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2021
Rest in peace
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by YelloweWest: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2021
Civic studies curriculum needs to be amended to cature this man's selfless act of kindness.

3 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Germi9: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2021
heavenly candidate

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by ipobarethieves: 11:59am On Jan 05, 2021
sad
careytommy37:

What a silly thing to insinuate. Have you ever seen a cultist care about the life of others?
read the past thread.
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by omojesu202(m): 12:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
PhenomenalAustin:
According to Opta stats,
Blankson (13) has saved more lives than Bullhari (0)

Blankson > Bullhari

Hero.
Buhari should be negative. -10,000

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Hushpuppies(m): 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
China112:
It was also said on that thread that he was cultist and him trying to save people from dying and also losing his life was a retribution. But what do I know

Modified...

Those quoting me should know there is a thread on this from 2018 although I just joined Nairaland last year

Cultists don't care about their life talk less of other people's lives. Stop being stupid. You have been like this since our years in primary school.

4 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by EmmyNorse(m): 12:13pm On Jan 05, 2021
Rest well hero, at least you died for a purpose. Unlike some of our leaders that will die in death for there evil act.
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by PHN002(f): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2021
China112:

You’re very STUPID.
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by SILVERLINES: 12:55pm On Jan 05, 2021
COdeGenesis:
Joseph Blankson also known as Joe Blankson (born 29 October 1979 – 28 July 2018) was a Nigerian contractor who died while saving 13 victims of a boat accident. It happened on the Abonnema-Bakana waterway in Rivers State on 28 July 2018.

On Saturday 28 July 2018, the boat carrying 25 passengers left Abonnema Wharf for Bakana. Blankson and his sister were traveling to Bakana for a funeral. It was raining heavily during the boat's passage and the river was full of debris. Eventually the boat capsized.

Blankson swam in and out of the river 13 times to rescue the passengers. Suffering from exhaustion, he drowned on the 14th rescue attempt. It was reported that Blankson was the only fatality in the boat accident

Blankson's body was recovered a day later after the accident; he was buried the same day in the river according to customs over drowning. A service of songs in honour of the deceased was held and well attended.

On 29 July 2019, The Joe Blankson Foundation and swimming academy was setup in his honour by his wife and family to teach swimming and safety procedures for maritime travel.

The former senate president, Bukola Saraki and former vice president, Atiku Abubakar both tweeted about the incident, praising the heroic act of Blankson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Blankson#:~:text=Joseph%20Blankson%20also%20known%20as,State%20on%2028%20July%202018.

I love the last line; The Rivers State governor, nyesom Wike promised to support the blankson's family

He so good in promising
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by lotkyes200: 1:21pm On Jan 05, 2021
What a hero

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by BigGuava: 1:53pm On Jan 05, 2021
You can work from home as an article writer and a Million Naira while at it

To find out how you can participate in this offer,send a message to the WhatsApp contact on the profile.

This offer is open to both NEW and SEASONED content writer. Do not delay in sending in your application today...

Remember it's write articles from home and earn One Million Naira doing this.........!

Thanks for reading
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Respect55(m): 2:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
He died a fool. You see this life, I can make sacrifices and render help here and there but when it involves my life, I back off no matter whosoever that is at stake.
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Shattuck(m): 2:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
Aidejay:
Nothing like coast guard in this country.
Instead of them to use this man's brave action as a way to introduce a type of emergency response organisation fully equipped to handle water based accidents they are busy "praising the heroic act"
Wike, Atiku, Saraki. The best way to honor this man's heroic act is by creating the BLACKSON WATER ACCIDENT RESCUE AND RECOVERY ORGANIZATION. or something like that.
anything that I'll make the got spend money on the masses is never a welcome development to the govt.

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by zudozz: 3:06pm On Jan 05, 2021
I have already celebrated him this new year.

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Michaelota: 3:16pm On Jan 05, 2021
RIP AQUA MAN
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Ifybwoy7: 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2021
hollywood would have done a movie. but nollywood ..............

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Obagreatdatoye(m): 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2021
He tried...but I can't die for anybody.... Jesus has died for me to live and always live....if I don't leave 85yrs and beyond. I Will not depart the earth.
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by mysteryman2014: 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2021
Ordinary Nigerians that have performed noble duties and paid supreme sacrifice that are worthy of national honours but the Nigerian State never honour such except treasury looters.

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by merits(m): 3:55pm On Jan 05, 2021
COdeGenesis:

RIP SIR.

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Carloslehder: 5:24pm On Jan 05, 2021
Now this are people what given 100% for,I will tell my children about your selflessness
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by April4th(m): 5:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
RIP to the unsung hero. This is what we should be reading about on fp, not one useless idiot forming slay queen and another idiot forming motivational speaker.

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by rant19ade: 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
Hope they have fulfilled the promises to his family

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Abdogood(m): 10:17pm On Jan 05, 2021
He is truly an Hero. RIP Hero

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by pacespot(m): 12:30am On Jan 06, 2021
Yeah, I remember this guy story then, such a sad event. RIP

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Journalist In Syria Explains Why He Still Washes Dishes After Marrying 3 Wives / Short Igbo Names For Baby Girl And Meaning Needed / Imade Nibokun: "Why I Avoid Nigerian Old Men Like The Plague"-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.