Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,317 members, 7,829,762 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra (28132 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Tokkson: 5:49pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
Chimanda or whatever u call yourself, are nothing but an educated idiot, how do some of misguided elements like yourself still find strength in blaming igboman for his woes in politics.

She is an educated idiot that has over 16 honorary doctorate degrees in the best universities in the world.

Who are you again?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Amiteye(m): 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2021
CzarChris:
Is she the Ada of the family? What are you even saying here? So she should find a canopy and sit-down, then who will attend to the guest? Are those the qualities of a good host? I'm the only son of my family, during my dad's burial i was too busy greeting guest and making sure that everyone that attended the burial was well cathered for rather than looking for a sit to sit-down and cross my legs. This even shows that she has a shallow personality all in the name of feminism. And yes you just confirmed my doubt, you are definitely not Igbo, please represent your tribe and stop impersonating ours. Thank you.
In Igbo tradition the Umuada are the most powerful group, even more powerful than the umunna. Nobody dares go against the decision of the Umuada even the Chief and Ezes dare not go against the Umuada. Stop your ignorance and misinforming others on what you know nothing about.
you are the one trying to confuse people
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by WoundedLamb: 5:56pm On Jan 05, 2021
austinkenneth:

I clearly see your point.

I have learnt from experience that if you're on the discriminated side, you need to speak up and get justice but that the road to justice is faster when you go attack the discrimination as it is not in an embellished form.

It means taking more time to check and observe to you can come up with an insurmountable argument.

For example, we know how property is allocated to a man's male heirs by default, but it was through a pain staking search that some folks in my village found a way to give a particular man's daughters equal property rights with his sons.
The argument was so powerful that the men couldn't even debate the arbitration.

Based on how very highly I place her, and what I perceive to be her level of knowledge of the Igbo culture and its merits and demerits, I expected a close to impeccable argument from her as regards this topic instead of talking about things like a dangling organ.

Yes but I only took you on on your counter argument against her personal experience at her father's ceremony which she only cited as an example, not necessarily on the entire discussion. I was only saying countering people's experiences when we weren't there hurts. I know cause I've been on the receiving end of that before. Again, we don't tell people what to complain about. The "dangling organ" expression was used in a different context; when she was describing the political atmosphere in Anambra. Nevertheless, it's been an interesting conversation so I'd also like to give my opinion on that as well her submission in it's entirety.

Yes, dangling organ might not be the best choice of words in as much we know she said that just to emphasize on the fact that the difference between men and women is simply biological. However, do we really need an "impeccable argument" to say something as glaring as the fact that our culture is misogynistic? The fact the man's daughter had to call on the entire village to prove she's equally human enough to benefit from her father's handwork, though necessary in that situation, is very worrisome and only goes to show the extent of misogyny in the society. But here's the difference: the daughter had a trophy on the table (the property) and she had those she was arguing with (the opponents). Ms Adiche, on the other hand, was merely stating her opinion on a subject while citing the instances that informed her stance. It was an interview, going all the way to put up a fierce argument would be tantamount to arguing with herself.

I believe her submission was just an invitation for a discussion. Being a lover of formal logic and constructive/persuasive argument myself, I know for sure that it's pertinent for the person who makes the first submission to assume everyone will agree until a counter argument is raised. It's understandable that we expect more from her given how intelligent we know her to be but except you don't agree with her stance, I don't really see how the fact that she didn't put up a formidable argument counters her stance which is that our culture is misogynistic. A formidable argument would be for those who don't even agree with the crux of her message and judging from our chat, you aren't really on the opposing side. So while I agree with you that she could have put it better (there's always a better way), we both agree that she's right in her judgment.

Sorry for the epistle. Lol.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Guide777(m): 6:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
Charmingrascal:
No tribe or region in Nigeria is completely in unison, as long as there are different intellectuals and individuals there will always be diverse of thoughts.

"Igbo can't do this, Igbos can't do that" is just another way of causing unnecessary digression
Everybody must not support a cause, sometimes it is not the quantity of those who are for a cause that matters it is the quality, the weight, the strength, the zeal and passion.

I am Yoruba but I can tell you that Biafra can be achieved if the zeal and passion to achieve it is strong.
Even though on several occasions I have disagreed and openly condemned Kanu's way of agitating I think Kanu has the interest of Igbos at heart more than some of these so called Igbo elites, intellectuals and politicians.
In what way has Chimanda supported the Biafra or Igbo Presidency agenda?

Ka ye pa iro fun ara wa.
Ko si nkan nkan to wu ni lori lati je omo orile ede yi.

How many Yorubas supported Obasanjo's Presidency?
He still won because sometimes it is not about the quantity but the quality.

Nigeria is too big to have a central government, we need to restructure or break up.

The discourse now should not be whether Igbos are United or not, it should rather be how can she contribute her own quota in helping the Igbos achieve what they want.
you have a mind that has been sufficiently illuminated. More ink to your pen.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by ALLFATHER14: 6:29pm On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra

Lol........ Biafra sympathisers always sound stupid and impractical. It's not about choosing which one you want it's about how to get what you want (Biafra). There is no cooperation within the Igbo Political space, right now it's every man for himself, and this disunity will never bring about a Biafra and even if it does it won't magically disappear if there is a Biafra. We need to strategize and work together and make a "Statement of Intent" which in this case is bringing an Igbo President first and that president can now set in place the necessary actions needed to achieve a Sovereign state of Biafra. Biafra will Never happen if we continue like this.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by MoIbrahim: 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra

But the politicians position represent that of an average Igbo man. That is why they are being voted by the majority.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Paulcyril19: 6:37pm On Jan 05, 2021
AtikuNetwork:

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2021/1/igbo-people-cant-unite-for-presidency-yet-talk-about-biafra-chimamanda-adichie.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGA6fTdInfo

I used to say this. This guys ain't organized nd loyal.

If we're to provide a President who are we going to send that's without blemish to some certain extent, if finally we get others would fight and sabotage the opportunity.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by ALLFATHER14: 6:42pm On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:

Stop talking nonsense. She said that Igbos are not united enough about the Presidency of Nigeria to be talking about Biafra. The question then is, must you be united about about the Presidency of the country you belong to before you agitate for your independence?

Should Scotland have been united about producing the Prime minister of the United kingdom before seeking and getting their 2014 independence referendum?

Should Eriterians have been united about seeking the Presidency of Ethiopia before they agitated about having their independence from Ethiopia?

If Adichie is saying that Igbos are not united enough amongsts themselves to talk or go for Biafra, then there is no point to Nigeria because Nigerians are not united about anything, but still have Nigeria

You are quoting events of nations whose political structure is completely different from Nigeria, it doesn't make for a valid argument. While the Igbos do not need to produce a president in order to successfully agitate for independence, the Igbos need POWER and UNITY to do that. Nigeria is being almost completely run in a largely disproportionate number by Northerners and few Yorubas, in the Nigerian central political space the Igbos are almost nowhere to be found.
It's not the Quantity of individuals the Igbos have in power but the quality, and right now we Lack both.

The Igbos do not have individuals in high places and even the ones that are are not interested in Biafra and that's an insurmountable problem, solved only by War, war that the Igbos CANNOT win.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Feggie3: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2021
EVILFOREST:
I ask, why did she marry dat same "DANGLING ORGAN.? IF she truly addressed MEN as DANGLING ORGANS, then I will I be right if I address Ladies as VACUUMS/ HOLES...since they carry vacuums/HOLES between their thighs, still looking for dangling organs to fill up their vacuums/Holes.
Nonsense.

Issues of Cultural heritage are better discussed with utmost care and regard. IF you choose to insult the MEN, how do you then get to assemble the same MEN ( dangling organs) to look into all these..?

IF you truly uttered this, you have lost all the regard and respect I have for you. U think u can stay in the US and change culture without going back home.
I wonder how you were able to secure the same DANGLING ORGAN for a husband..?
So upon all the things she said, dangling organ is what you took upon yourself? If it made u feel less of an individual then you need some counselling and a little guidance to avert a full blown psychological aberration. Egoistic men end up getting it totally wrong.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Feggie3: 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2021
Yujin:

None is going for any. Those of us who don't believe in this Nigeria will continue to seek for Biafra where we think we will far much better. Those Igbos who believe in Nigeria should carry on with chasing the presidency of a failed contraption. We will however continue to extend our hand to them because we know that the presidency they're chasing will not address the failure of Nigeria. Nigeria cannot be fixed as it is. There will never be a concensus for any uniform development to happen in Nigeria. It is not possible.
I am Igbo and I want Biafra. With this mindset of yours we will never get either of them..
Upon the population of the the North during the Nigerian Civil war, they lured the Yorubas on their side, they lured the Brits.. If Igbos continue this chest beating identity of ( they can do it on their own), they sure will keep wailing and ranting till God knows when...

Let me remind you... Igbos are smart! Yes... But the hallmark of loosing a fight is that you were simply outsmarted... No long cap.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Onepeople: 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
Tokkson:

She is an educated idiot that has over 16 honorary doctorate degrees in the best universities in the world.

Who are you again?
so you don't know some idiot are educated? Her argument hold no water ,which region in Nigeria is getting it right when it's comes to politics? Is only the north that feel they have the number. Today yorubas are the vice to a fulani man, if tomorrow they want to be president, north will go to east for support, is as simple as that, the system is badly structured to favour the north, I expect the idiot to know that, since she has found her voice.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Tokkson: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
so you don't know some idiot are educated? Her argument hold no water ,which region in Nigeria is getting it right when it's comes to politics? Is only the north that feel they have the number. Today yorubas are the vice to a fulani man, if tomorrow they want to be president, north will go to east for support, is as simple as that, the system is badly structured to favour the north, I expect the idiot to know that, since she has found her voice.

I'm an Igbo guy too. The bitter truth is that the Igbos lack a political central voice and it has been our bane.

Nnamdi Kanu would have come close to being one if he had sense.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by focus7: 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2021
They have always blamed afonja for their misfortunes
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Onepeople: 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
Tokkson:

I'm an Igbo guy too. The bitter truth is that the Igbos lack a political central voice and it has been our bane.

Nnamdi Kanu would have come close to being one if he had sense.
how has chimanmanda contributed to the development of igboland, either through her voice or resources, all I have been hearing from her criticism, today is about catholic church and how she has stopped going to church because of the way it has been monetised, tomorrow is about how we are not politically United, if truly u are an igboman and you don't feel tired by that idiot and her stupid opinion, bros check yourself.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Tokkson: 9:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
how has chimanmanda contributed to the development of igboland, either through her voice or resources, all I have been hearing from her criticism, today is about catholic church and how she has stopped going to church because of the way it has been monetised, tomorrow is about how we are not politically United, if truly u are an igboman and you don't feel tired by that idiot and her stupid opinion, bros check yourself.

I'm an Igbo man but I'm not myopic.

Chimamanda embodies Igbo in all her stories. She cherishes her tribe alot and never fails to mention that in her interviews too. Its obvious you know little or nothing about her other than misleading headlines you read on social media.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Lifted1(m): 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
what have you contributed to the development of Igboland ? does that stop you from having a valid opinion ?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Onepeople: 9:23pm On Jan 05, 2021
Tokkson:

I'm an Igbo man but I'm not myopic.

Chimamanda embodies Igbo in all her stories. She cherishes her tribe alot and never fails to mention that in her interviews too. Its obvious you know little or nothing about her other than misleading headlines you read on social media.
oga I am not myopic nor tribalistic, I am a rational being, go through my comment history to attest to that fact, I criticise the igbos on a personal basis,u dont criticise a whole tribe for the mistake of few people, chimanmanda should know better than that she came from a civilised world,you don't speak so detestfle of ur own people and expect other to love them. The problem of most of us igbos is that we claim to know too much but in real sense we know nothing, how many time have u seen soyinka going about criticising the yurobas under any gues? Does it mean they are perfect?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Onepeople: 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2021
Lifted1:

what have you contributed to the development of Igboland ? does that stop you from having a valid opinion ?
oga it makes no sense to criticise a whole tribe for the mistake of few ,chimanmanda should know better, she came from a civilised world. Is only igbos that come on social platforms to criticise their tribe how can that make us better? How do you keep criticising ur people and expect others to love them? Is foolish of chimanmanda with her education to generalised the stupidity of igbo politicians .
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Lifted1(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
oga it makes no sense to criticise a whole tribe for the mistake of few ,chimanmanda should know better, she came from a civilised world. Is only igbos that come on social platforms to criticise their tribe how can that make us better? How do you keep criticising ur people and expect others to love them? Is foolish of chimanmanda with her education to generalised the stupidity of igbo politicians .
You mean the same way we all criticize Nigeria in front of the whole world?
calling a spade a spade is different from spiteful criticism. She expressed her views which are quite valid. it should serve as a wake-up call rather than criticism
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Psalmistproject: 9:43pm On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:

Did you go to school? If yes did you sleep through all lessons? If not, what is confusing in Adichie's opinion which is that Igbos are confused and not united over what they want and thus likely to fail? What she writes below is clear enough for even a child of 6 to understand.

You guys are just too egotistical, belligerent and vainglorious to ever accept correction over your redundant ways and mindset.

There's no place in the world everyone agrees to one political resolution.
she has made her opinion but that doesn't make her wiser.
Please don't attack others opinion, it's a sign of lack of accommodation.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Tokkson: 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2021
Onepeople:
oga I am not myopic nor tribalistic, I am a rational being, go through my comment history to attest to that fact, I criticise the igbos on a personal basis,u dont criticise a whole tribe for the mistake of few people, chimanmanda should know better than that she came from a civilised world,you don't speak so detestfle of ur own people and expect other to love them. The problem of most of us igbos is that we claim to know too much but in real sense we know nothing, how many time have u seen soyinka going about criticising the yurobas under any gues? Does it mean they are perfect?

Well noted
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by ifyakanu(m): 10:24pm On Jan 05, 2021
it seems like your brain is not functioning properly. can't you have understood that we are not interested in the presidency as most of you efulefus are assuming we should be. we are unites in Biafra. so we want Biafra and not presidency.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Kbanka: 11:13pm On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:

That's her point, you want it but don't know how to get it �
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by FulfilledSoul01: 11:59pm On Jan 05, 2021
This woman is so well read but lacks common sense
If we called women the gender with LEAKING ORGANS
Or ORGANS SIMILAR TO THE RECTUM
Or the gender with DOUBLE HOLES WITH A CONSTANTLY LEAKING ONE
I'm sure she'd feel insulted but doesn't hesitate to insult men, whose support she will need for life because she couldn't help but marry one of the possessors of this DANGLING ORGAN
Her father with the same DANGLING ORGAN died and makes her take a new direction in her life, she travels down to Nigeria to bury someone with the same DANGLING ORGAN but she's quick to insult men at any given chance
What is making you this bitter is your business but don't drag our organs into it
It's nobody fault that God didn't deem you fit to have this DANGLING ORGAN, Madam MUCUS AND BLOOD LEAKING ORGAN
Chimamanda Disgrace Adichie
I just pity the DANGLING ORGAN who is sentenced to this slowpoke for life in the name of marriage, we feel your pain bro
We pray for you everyday
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by okenwa101(m): 12:01am On Jan 06, 2021
Frustrated answers if I may say, her answers was developed from her experience during her father's burial, simple. The fact that she is a renowned international figure, does not make her know all, let her marry and manage a family first then we could visit her advice.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by FulfilledSoul01: 12:02am On Jan 06, 2021
This woman is so well read but lacks common sense
If we called women the gender with LEAKING ORGANS
Or ORGANS SIMILAR TO THE RECTUM
Or the gender with DOUBLE HOLES WITH A CONSTANTLY LEAKING ONE
I'm sure she'd feel insulted but doesn't hesitate to insult men, whose support she will need for life because she couldn't help but marry one of the possessors of this DANGLING ORGAN
Her father with the same DANGLING ORGAN died and makes her take a new direction in her life, she travels down to Nigeria to bury someone with the same DANGLING ORGAN but she's quick to insult men at any given chance
What is making you this bitter is your business but don't drag our organs into it
It's nobody fault that God didn't deem you fit to have this DANGLING ORGAN, Madam MUCUS AND BLOOD LEAKING ORGAN
Chimamanda Disgrace Adichie
I just pity the DANGLING ORGAN who is sentenced to this slowpoke for life in the name of marriage, we feel your pain bro
We pray for you everyday
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by FulfilledSoul01: 12:05am On Jan 06, 2021
And if anyone thinks any of my descriptions of the LEAKING ORGAN is an insult then read it again and understand that they are all ways to differentiate the LEAKING ORGAN from the DANGLING ORGAN biologically
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by djon78(m): 12:05am On Jan 06, 2021
For me
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by FulfilledSoul01: 12:09am On Jan 06, 2021
okenwa101:
Frustrated answers if I may say, her answers was developed from her experience during her father's burial, simple. The fact that she is a renowned international figure, does not make her know all, let her marry and manage a family first then we could visit her advice.
I really hope to God that she is not still married to any DANGLING ORGAN BEARER
Look at the way she talks about a child who was given to her by sperm from a DANGLING ORGAN
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by FulfilledSoul01: 12:25am On Jan 06, 2021
Feggie3:
So upon all the things she said, dangling organ is what you took upon yourself? If it made u feel less of an individual then you need some counselling and a little guidance to avert a full blown psychological aberration. Egoistic men end up getting it totally wrong.
Ego is what makes us men
That's why we don't get married as seventh husband no matter how rich a woman is, that is why we pay bride price, and that is why we comply to the financial demands of women but are quiet when they say it is wrong to spend on us even though we are equal
Real Men have Ego and it is not pride

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Day I Will Never Forget / My Marriage (short Story ) / Okwui Enwezor Dies Of Cancer At 55

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.