Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,940 members, 7,824,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making (1092 Views)

Huawei 9a Arrives In South Africa As Nova 9a With Helio G80 CPU / How Internet Cables Connect All The Continent/countries / Which Chip Set Is Better, Mediatek, Intel Atom Or Snapdragon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 10:45am On Jan 06, 2021
I find it embarrassing and disappointing, that Africa as a continent have no interest in semiconductor or chip making business.

Chip making is difficult, but you can still design the architecture and contract tsmc, to manufacture the chip. Silicon chips are fundamentals of every electronics device.
This would have created enough jobs for youths in this country, we have engineers here roaming about the street, looking for job.

The money we produce from oil should have been reinvested to research on technology, health, and other fields etc. What UAE is currently doing.

Data is now the new oil in this 21st century, crude oil value is reducing yearly, and will even be worst in the next 20 years, oil companies we be begging you to buy fuel grin. When electric cars, solar system will be the major thing at that time.

We should prepare ourselves for the future
Africa needs change!!!!

Note:
I didn't say we should compete with USA or China. but we should develop ourselves and become self sufficient.
The chip mustn't be better than amd or intel or even Apple's, because they have years of experience.
But at least we should start from somewhere.

Through chip making we can produce TV or electronic gadgets, creating jobs for youths. We Can even outsource from Qualcomm, mtk. I haven't seen any serious electronic company in Nigeria, or Africa as a whole.

4 Likes

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 06, 2021
Who says Africans aren't producing chips? Different types of chips, even Intel and AMD can't contest! angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 10:52am On Jan 06, 2021
xProfx:
Africa is still battling hunger and lack of infrastructure, most of its political leaders have no idea about tech or manufacturing... They are still looting even when the entire continent is in debts.

They should fix electricity first before thinking of battling tech companies in China, EU and America.
Bro we have the potential, did you know other African countries have 24/7 like Ghana,SA, Egypt. Mustn't be only Nigeria.

Also in USA they use nuclear energy as a source of electricity, which can last for almost thousands of years. Why can't we use nuclear or even solar energy. If people can afford big generators, then they can afford solar system. Government can subsidies and encourage local manufacturing, Which will bring down the price of solar system, making it affordable for Nigerians.

I didn't say we should compete with China and USA. but we should develop ourselves, and become self sufficient.

That's why the value of naira keeps depreciating every day.
Assuming we go into war with either China or USA sanctions us like Iran what will we do? na die be dat na grin.

But politicians will rather loot us dry than accomplish this.

2 Likes

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 06, 2021
Karex81:

Bro we have the potential, did you know other African countries have 24/7 like Ghana,SA, Egypt. mustn't be only Nigeria. Also in USA the use nuclear energy as a source of electricity, which can last for almost thousands of years.
I didn't say we should compete with China and USA. but we should develop ourselves. politicians will rather loot us dry than accomplish this.

Yes yes...
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 10:57am On Jan 06, 2021
xProfx:
Who says Africans aren't producing chips? Different types of chips, even Intel and AMD can't contest! angry
grin not that chip though
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Nobody: 10:58am On Jan 06, 2021
Karex81:

grin not that chip though

Chip is chip ooo... angry
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by donbachi(m): 11:06am On Jan 06, 2021
With all dis plantain chips wey full everywhere.
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 11:08am On Jan 06, 2021
donbachi:
With all dis plantain chips wey full everywhere.
grin
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by meobizy(f): 11:27am On Jan 06, 2021
If such is going to happen, it will come from South Africa, Kenya or Rwanda. Those seem the only African countries with clear paths in innovation which will benefit future generations.

crude oil value is reducing yearly
Even if the commodity is sold at a cent per barrel, companies will still make serious profit. The world has used oil for trade for so long now that, although economies will feel the pinch, the manufacturers and many players in the logistics channel will continue smiling to the bank.

and will even be worst in the next 20 years, oil companies we be begging you to buy fuel
Not even in the next fifty years is this possible. Cheaper prices mean a lot of small players can join the business.

When electric cars, solar system will be the major thing at that time.
Which are slated to go mainstream in 2050 (electric cars) and 2045 (alternative energy sources). Oil is going nowhere, sadly.

Africa needs change!!!
An all too familiar song majority of our leaders are deaf to. I don’t think we can kick the status quo. We will elevate from our current level to a better one, yet remain fifty years behind developed nations.
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by masterfactor(m): 12:47pm On Jan 06, 2021
We can only progress if we can do away with tribe, ethnicity and religion.
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 1:40pm On Jan 06, 2021
meobizy:
If such is going to happen, it will come from South Africa, Kenya or Rwanda. Those seem the only African countries with clear paths in innovation which will benefit future generations.

Even if the commodity is sold at a cent per barrel, companies will still make serious profit. The world has used oil for trade for so long now that, although economies will feel the pinch, the manufacturers and many players in the logistics channel will continue smiling to the bank.

Not even in the next fifty years is this possible. Cheaper prices mean a lot of small players can join the business.

Which are slated to go mainstream in 2050 (electric cars) and 2045 (alternative energy sources). Oil is going nowhere, sadly.

An all too familiar song majority of our leaders are deaf to. I don’t think we can kick the status quo. We will elevate from our current level to a better one, yet remain fifty years behind developed nations.
Take last year lockdown, for example. Did you know in America, oil companies where begging Americans to buy fuel. So many barrels of fuel from Nigeria, where left sitting on the sea. China had sense and bought most of them for dirt cheap, so the make huge profits, when everything returns back to normal.
Then imagine what will happen in 20-40 years time. look at coal value today, who still uses them?. That's how oil will be.
what I'm saying is the money government make from oil sector should be reinvested or diversified into other fields of the economy. But that won't happen, they will rather die grin.
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by chichima5764: 2:13pm On Jan 06, 2021
Who says Africans aren't producing chips? Different types of chips, even Intel and AMD can't contest!
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by smartty68(m): 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2021
xProfx:

Chip is chip ooo... angry
Chip is not Chip undecided
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Depressed101: 2:51pm On Jan 06, 2021
Karex81:
I find it embarrassing and disappointing, that Africa as a continent have no interest in semiconductor or chip making business.

Chip making is difficult, but you can still design the architecture and contract tsmc, to manufacture the chip. Silicon chips are fundamentals of every electronics device.
This would have created enough jobs for youths in this country, we have engineers here roaming about the street, looking for job.

The money we produce from oil should have been reinvested to research on technology, health, and other fields etc. What UAE is currently doing.

Data is now the new oil in this 21st century, crude oil value is reducing yearly, and will even be worst in the next 20 years, oil companies we be begging you to buy fuel grin. When electric cars, solar system will be the major thing at that time.

We should prepare ourselves for the future
Africa needs change!!!!

Note:
I didn't say we should compete with USA or China. but we should develop ourselves and become self sufficient.
The chip mustn't be better than amd or intel or even Apple's, because they have years of experience.

Through chip making we can produce TV or electronic gadgets, creating jobs for youths. We Can even outsource from Qualcomm, mtk. I haven't seen any serious electronic company in Nigeria, or Africa as a whole.
are you a youth of the country? What are you waiting for before you make your own chip, abi nor be Nigerian get paystack?

1 Like

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2021
smartty68:
Chip is not Chip undecided
grin
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by meobizy(f): 5:38pm On Jan 06, 2021
Karex81:

Take last year lockdown, for example. Did you know in America, oil companies where begging Americans to buy fuel.
This is one thing I hate about this forum; users throwing random claims without proof. Post a link before I'll choose to believe this. If 98% of the population stayed indoors then what will the citizens need fuel for? Why will marketers beg for sales if they're locked indoors with everyone?

So many barrels of fuel from Nigeria, where left sitting on the sea.
This is true and I know it from first hand knowledge. Workers were at home for months and production sites worked at 10% capacity. Incidents took place in a few locations because not enough personnel were available to combat emergencies. When the lockdown was eased, the companies made serious gains as their reserves were quickly sold off and oil wells replenished themselves from months-long of inactivity. Production which normally took two months before offload for export started taking place in less than two weeks. The situation was a mixed blessing which ended up financially saving companies.

China had sense and bought most of them for dirt cheap, so the make huge profits, when everything returns back to normal.
It's obvious why; they disregarded the lockdown in favour of economic growth.

Then imagine what will happen in 20-40 years time. look at coal value today, who still uses them?. That's how oil will be.
Coal is still heavily used and is the primary form of power generation — both electricity and gas — for countries like the UK, the U.S. and China. Google the claim and find out. Maybe here it has no use, but that doesn't mean a few private hands aren't making a killing in business from mining and export of the product. Do you know rich cocoa farmers are on the same wealth level as governors? You won't know if you don't come across them.

1 Like

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by MackyNaija(m): 5:24am On Jan 07, 2021
Depressed101:
are you a youth of the country? What are you waiting for before you make your own chip, abi nor be Nigerian get paystack?
Stop lumping Software (app) and Hardware (chip) engineering into the same bucket.

Before a chip is produced, a wholeeee lot is involved.

Karex81:

Note:

I like your idea of chip design while the manufacturing is outsourced.

It'd be easier to break-in if we design the 'motherboards'/panels for electronics, buy the components, assemble and focus on Africa as a market.
The plastics or aluminum parts can be built locally by molding or forming. Screens and Wiring can also be done locally.
Economics of scale will make this profitable.

But we need electricity to make this work, nothing will ever happen in the country without electricity.
Companies generating their own power diminishes the gains that would have accrued from labour that is cheaper than in Asia.

With the way you think, the country will frustrate you!

4 Likes

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Elxandre(m): 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2021
Design chips with which knowledge?
grin
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by thepoweruser(m): 1:02pm On Jan 07, 2021
Who ever said that manufacturing chipsets is an easy thing?
I sincerely appreciate the @OP's concern with this but one has to pull his/her head from the clouds.
First of all, chip manufacturing is nothing to see as a joke. Remember China's pride (Huawei) were banned from using US chip resources. China is investing heavily into companies like SMIC to produce chips on 14nm, which is regarded as semi-obsolescent. If China has difficulty in producing world-class SoCs, how will ordinary Nigeria be able to start?
Secondly, even Intel, (a.k.a. Chipzilla) is finding it difficult to produce 10nm in adequate quantities, and this is a company commonly regarded to have the most advanced foundaries on the planet, and with the support of the USA, to boot!
Third, so many of the things that make semiconductors so incredibly advanced are buried under the weight of patents. I mean, look at Qualcomm's activities. So, even if you wanted to copy, how the hell would you make it work?
Finally, let's assume that you managed to scale through these enormous obstacles, and then managed to get support from investors. How about support from Nigeria and Nigerians? Okay, I'll give you the people. Government, nko? Dem go give you regular electricity supply? Dem go give you favourable government policies and subsidies? Shey dem go helep you with fresh cooling water supplies? (If there is one thing that semiconductor foundaries need, it is fresh cooling water). Importing raw materials, too? Dem go make am easier?
And one more thing. So far, India has started development on their own chipset, based on RISC-V. Great milestone, but it won't garner much attention outside blog and media articles. And if you want to use contracts (you wanna go fabless?) please remember that TSMC has it's orders for 5nm crammed to the gills by Apple, and only them have developed cutting edge 3nm fabricators, and Apple sef don swallow all dose ones join. You won't even be able to afford their 14nm contracts even if Dangote and all of Nigeria's richest were supporting your ambitious venture. So you'd have to settle for, at best 24nm, which no one in 2021 gives two hoots about.
Think am.

1 Like

Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Karex81(m): 5:04pm On Jan 07, 2021
thepoweruser:
Who ever said that manufacturing chipsets is an easy thing?
I sincerely appreciate the @OP's concern with this but one has to pull his/her head from the clouds.
First of all, chip manufacturing is nothing to see as a joke. Remember China's pride (Huawei) were banned from using US chip resources. China is investing heavily into companies like SMIC to produce chips on 14nm, which is regarded as semi-obsolescent. If China has difficulty in producing world-class SoCs, how will ordinary Nigeria be able to start?
Secondly, even Intel, (a.k.a. Chipzilla) is finding it difficult to produce 10nm in adequate quantities, and this is a company commonly regarded to have the most advanced foundaries on the planet, and with the support of the USA, to boot!
Third, so many of the things that make semiconductors so incredibly advanced are buried under the weight of patents. I mean, look at Qualcomm's activities. So, even if you wanted to copy, how the hell would you make it work?
Finally, let's assume that you managed to scale through these enormous obstacles, and then managed to get support from investors. How about support from Nigeria and Nigerians? Okay, I'll give you the people. Government, nko? Dem go give you regular electricity supply? Dem go give you favourable government policies and subsidies? Shey dem go helep you with fresh cooling water supplies? (If there is one thing that semiconductor foundaries need, it is fresh cooling water). Importing raw materials, too? Dem go make am easier?
And one more thing. So far, India has started development on their own chipset, based on RISC-V. Great milestone, but it won't garner much attention outside blog and media articles. And if you want to use contracts (you wanna go fabless?) please remember that TSMC has it's orders for 5nm crammed to the gills by Apple, and only them have developed cutting edge 3nm fabricators, and Apple sef don swallow all dose ones join. You won't even be able to afford their 14nm contracts even if Dangote and all of Nigeria's richest were supporting your ambitious venture. So you'd have to settle for, at best 24nm, which no one in 2021 gives two hoots about.
Think am.
it's better to start somewhere, or outsource to tsmc. You don't expect magic to happen, we Start from 45nm,
45nm still good for military, networking work.We build from there. While in the meantime we outsource from Qualcomm,mtk or design it,tsmc manufacture it.
Re: Rant: I Wonder Why Africa As A Continent, Have No Interest In Chip Making by Flytime: 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2021
Op we don't need that right now

They should provide the basic amenities a citizen should get from it's government before thinki g of doing any of that

It's just like nigeria saying it wants to enter the space game when we are still struggling with stable power supply

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Freeze App On Gionee M7 Power / Help: My Xaomi Phone Fell Inside Salt Water, No Longer Receive Or Make Calls. / Facebook Is Becoming An Authoritarian App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.