Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist (2039 Views)

I Can Prove That God Does Not Exist. / God Does Not Exist: This Is The Proof ! / God Does Not Approve Of Praying Facing The East. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2011
Wallace : We cannot be good if God does not exist.

Wednesday, 30 March 2011 00:00 By Imelda Wallace

I READ the article in Sunday Guardian (March 20) titled “Can we be good without believing in God?”by Leo Igwe which comes to the conclusion that “people can be good without believing in God” and that “human beings can achieve moral excellence without belonging to any religion.” I beg to differ!

A person who believes that God does not exist usually believes that man evolved from the apes in which case he must logically believe he is just an animal with a more highly developed brain!!! If this is the case then of course he is not a spiritual being and we should not expect him to reason or to be able to choose. If he cannot choose then he is not free and there is no morality, no good deeds and no evil deeds. He is just conditioned by his environment, as other animals are, and follows his instincts just as other animals do. He cannot have any concept of goodness or evil since these concepts are abstract. Animals do not have intellectual knowledge.

They follow their instincts in an orderly programmed way. They live spontaneously doing the ‘right’ thing at the ‘right’ time, according to their species. G. K. Chesterton wrote in his inimitable paradoxical way that if you want a man to stop drinking after he has had several pints of beer you may pat him on the back and say, “Come on, now, be a MAN!’ and you may shame him into stopping. On the other hand if you are in the bush and you see a crocodile about to devour his third hunter and you pat it on the head and say, “Come on, now, be a crocodile!” the reptile will probably continue eating its hunters because it is natural for animals to follow their instinct of hunger and eat whatever food is handy!

The Oxford don, Ronald Knox, used to say that if a dog were to know it was a dog, it would no longer be a dog – it would be a human being! He was pointing to the fact that what distinguishes man from animals is the fact that they have intellectual knowledge - ideas and self-consciousness are not physical or material.

Now if man is merely a descendent of the apes then obviously there is no such entity as a human being. Moreover, the idea that “people have been caring for each other before religions started” cannot possibly be so since if we came from the apes who undoubtedly have no religion it is hard to see how they care for one another for real care implies love and REAL love is either spiritual or it is not at all!

Francis Collins, the pioneering geneticist who led the Genome project from 1993 to 2008, was an atheist until he began to question the fact that human beings care for each other. He thought that there must be an altruistic gene which made people sacrifice themselves or give their lives in the service of others. He says, “In my view the DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological functions will never explain certain special human attributes such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God.” His reading of “Mere Christianity” led him to become a Christian. In that book Lewis states: “If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, then also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world.” He also said: “If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end despair.”

Jacques Maritain and his wife Raisa, both eminent Philosophers met as students in the Sorbonne and, under the influence of Atheism and Existentialism, decided to commit suicide within a year if they could not find a reason for their existence because they could not bear the fact that their love had no meaning. They found the Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas, loved each other according to their newfound truth and both lived to a ripe old age.

Can we be good without believing in God? Not if we believe we are animals. But there are people who are good, as our writer said, who do not believe in God. They are, however, able to choose to be good only because they have a mind that can reason and consequently a free will which have been educated by parents and teachers to know and choose the good.! Otherwise why do mothers spend most of their children’s lives saying: “Don’t be greedy!”, “Don’t be lazy!”, “Give Johnny back his toy!” Animals don’t need to be told what to do – they just do it. Human beings need to be told what to do in order to be able to develop their intellect and will so they can make the necessary choices to fulfil themselves as mature human beings and not just go about life seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.

If a person does not believe in God then he probably believes he has only this life to live because after death there will be nothing. If he seeks the good he will be seeking what is good for him. In other words he believes there is no objective morality based on the laws of an intelligent and loving Creator. And, as Professor J. Lorda wrote: “The whole of the moral life consists in the determination to live in accordance with the truth of what man is and what things are.” If man has a body and a soul then God exists as Creator and religion is the relationship between man and God and, as C.S. Lewis wisely pointed out, “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.”

• Wallace is a teacher in Lagos

http://guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43155:wallacen-we-cannot-be-good-if-god-does-not-exist&catid=38:columnists&Itemid=615

Comments?
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Kay17: 3:39pm On Mar 30, 2011
Would like to sit down and comment but my battery is almost dead. But will get back asap!
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 3:48pm On Mar 30, 2011
Personally i think it is possible (and indeed I have observed this constantly) for an complete atheist to be both morally conscious and indeed live a more christ-like life than a supposed theist.

I have discussed this ad infinitum, ad nauseum on this forum, notably here -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411111.0.html

- - - where the indefatigable and tirelessly irrational viaro disagreed.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by nuclearboy(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^ Did he really? Haven't seen the thread and going out now so can't look but if he did, that would be strange.

Some of the most kindly morally upright people I ever met believe in nothing. And some of the worst, most amoral characters in mankind's history were theists.

1 Like

Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Image123(m): 6:10pm On Mar 30, 2011
Jesus said 'there is none good but God'. In language, you may understand, it means no one can be really good without God, all OUR righteousness is as filthy rags atheists or theists.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by nuclearboy(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^^ I think the context and understanding DeepSight etc are using differ from yours and Viaros'. Moral, human and societal acceptability standards seem to be their own basis rather than spiritually and if the case, they are right.

However, and as YOU HAVE SAID, the best of mankind is not good enough FOR the Spirit.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Jenwitemi(m): 7:21pm On Mar 30, 2011
My goodness! This article is so flawed that i don't even know where to begin. Just when you think you've heard the most ridiculous arguement for religion grom these apologetics, they step down another notch.

The arguement that human beings cannot be morally good because they evolved from the ape specie is just downright moronic. What has one got to do with the other? So, we are morally better off because we all came from DUST, as the religious folks claim.

I am not even going to waste my time further by dissecting all the other points on non-arguements presented in this article because we've been there before.
Deep Sight:

I READ the article in Sunday Guardian (March 20) titled “Can we be good without believing in God?”by Leo Igwe which comes to the conclusion that “people can be good without believing in God” and that “human beings can achieve moral excellence without belonging to any religion.” I beg to differ!

A person who believes that God does not exist usually believes that man evolved from the apes in which case he must logically believe he is just an animal with a more highly developed brain!!! If this is the case then of course he is not a spiritual being and we should not expect him to reason or to be able to choose. If he cannot choose then he is not free and there is no morality, no good deeds and no evil deeds. He is just conditioned by his environment, as other animals are, and follows his instincts just as other animals do. He cannot have any concept of goodness or evil since these concepts are abstract. Animals do not have intellectual knowledge.

They follow their instincts in an orderly programmed way. They live spontaneously doing the ‘right’ thing at the ‘right’ time, according to their species. G. K. Chesterton wrote in his inimitable paradoxical way that if you want a man to stop drinking after he has had several pints of beer you may pat him on the back and say, “Come on, now, be a MAN!’ and you may shame him into stopping. On the other hand if you are in the bush and you see a crocodile about to devour his third hunter and you pat it on the head and say, “Come on, now, be a crocodile!” the reptile will probably continue eating its hunters because it is natural for animals to follow their instinct of hunger and eat whatever food is handy!

The Oxford don, Ronald Knox, used to say that if a dog were to know it was a dog, it would  no longer be  a dog – it would be a human being! He was pointing to the fact that what distinguishes man from animals is the fact that they have intellectual knowledge - ideas and self-consciousness are not physical or material.

Now if man is merely a descendent of the apes then obviously there is no such entity as a human being. Moreover, the idea that “people have been caring for each other before religions started” cannot possibly be so since if we came from the apes who undoubtedly have no religion it is hard to see how they care for one another for real care implies  love and REAL love is either spiritual or it is not at all!

Francis Collins, the pioneering geneticist who led the Genome project from 1993 to 2008, was an atheist until he began to question the fact that human beings care for each other. He thought that there must be an altruistic gene which made people sacrifice themselves or give their lives in the service of others. He says, “In my view the DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological functions will never explain certain special human attributes such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God.” His reading of “Mere Christianity” led him to become a Christian. In that book Lewis states: “If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, then also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world.” He also said: “If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end despair.”

Jacques Maritain and his wife Raisa, both eminent Philosophers met as students in the Sorbonne and, under the influence of Atheism and Existentialism, decided to commit suicide within a year if they could not find a reason for their existence because they could not bear the fact that their love had no meaning. They found the Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas, loved each other  according to their newfound truth and both lived to a ripe old age.

Can we be good without believing in God? Not if we believe we are animals. But there are people who are good, as our writer said, who do not believe in God. They are, however, able to choose to be good only because they have a mind that can reason and consequently a free will which have been educated by parents and teachers to know and choose the good.! Otherwise why do mothers spend most of their children’s lives saying: “Don’t be greedy!”, “Don’t be lazy!”, “Give Johnny back his toy!”  Animals don’t need to be told what to do – they just do it. Human beings need to be told what to do in order to be able to develop their intellect and will so they can make the necessary choices to fulfil themselves as mature human beings and not just go about life seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.

If a person does not believe in God then he probably believes he has only this life to live because after death there will be nothing. If he seeks the good he will be seeking what is good for him. In other words he believes there is no objective morality based on the laws of an intelligent and  loving Creator.  And, as  Professor J. Lorda wrote: “The whole of the moral life consists in the determination to live in accordance with the truth of what man is and what things are.”  If man has a body and a soul then God exists as Creator and religion is the relationship between man and God and, as C.S. Lewis wisely pointed out, “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.”

http://guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43155:wallacen-we-cannot-be-good-if-god-does-not-exist&catid=38:columnists&Itemid=615

Comments?

Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Kay17: 7:32pm On Mar 30, 2011
Our cousin primates; apes have communal behaviors, exhibit intelligence. The writer failed to provide a concrete difference between humans and animals, and the standard of good and evil.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Jenwitemi(m): 7:35pm On Mar 30, 2011
Wouldn't this planet be a more peaceful and harmonious place than it is now, if we had been liviing like the primates? When was the last time apes killed each other enmasse because of differences in beliefs in God? The writer is just full of utter crap.
Kay 17:

Our cousin primates; apes have a communal behaviors, exhibit intelligence. The writer failed to provide a concrete difference between humans and animals, and the standard of good and evil.

1 Like

Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Kay17: 8:27pm On Mar 30, 2011
Jenwitemi:

Wouldn't this planet be a more peaceful and harmonious place than it is now, if we had been liviing like the primates? When was the last time apes killed each other enmasse because of differences in beliefs in God? The writer is just full of utter crap.
The article is painted with religious bias, focuses on the few examples and utterly lacks depth.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by harakiri(m): 8:33pm On Mar 30, 2011
This post is incorrect. Not all Atheists believe mankind evolved from apes or some big bang theory. I am an Atheist and i neither believe my forefathers were apes and neither do i believe in some fairytale god illustrated in a book of lies called the bible. I don't need to believe in some middle eastern god to help out someone in need. I don't need to believe in some superstitous mystery god to know the difference between right and wrong. Matter of fact,the worst kind of vile,conceited,twisted,callous and dishonest ppl i have ever come across are the ones that can recite their entire religious books off head (christians and moslems alike). Aren't our leaders who impoverish the country religious? People go to churches and mosques every week and yet, they commit every sin that is preached tirelessly. Has marital vows stopped couples from cheating? The most irreligious countries remain the most peaceful and law abiding places with averagely rich citizenry e.g finland,sweden,leichenstein. While they take the future into their hands, religious ppl give up by waiting on a non existent god. Little wonder why this country remains backward inspite all the prayers and churches in every street.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 8:36pm On Mar 30, 2011
Not a very well written or thought out article in my opinion. But nevetheless, I don't think the author is aruging so much that it is[i] impossible[/i] for atheists to do/be good . . . but rather, the good that the atheist does is:
1 - self-serving
2 - influenced by only limited human understanding, deficient in the divine

and therefore not really good at all - and this from a spiritual perspective - very important.

I would like to echo Nuke's point:
nuclearboy:
Moral, human and societal acceptability standards seem to be their own basis rather than spiritually

Deep Sight:

I have discussed this ad infinitum, ad nauseum on this forum, notably here -
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411111.0.html
- - - where the indefatigable and tirelessly irrational viaro disagreed.
Since Viaro is not here to defend himself, I will help him.

After reading 3 pages of that thread, I don't see where Viaro 'disagreed' with your statement, infact just the opposite:
viaro:

There are atheists I know who live far more credible lives than deists - no gainsaying that. However, please show me any atheist who predicates his living or ethics on "godliness". Please just show me. Your penchant to lie to the public on any "resemblance" is magically amazing!
His gripe was with your assertion that this "goodness" of the atheist is somehow 'worship' to 'God' considering the fact that the selling point of an atheist in the first place is that he denies the existence - talkless of worship - of a God. And furthermore which/what God? because there are diverse conceptions of God across the religions. I don't intend on raising dead horses to flog them over, but this is my understanding of Viaro's position. So when you say -

Deep Sight:

Personally i think it is possible (and indeed I have observed this constantly) for an complete atheist to be both morally conscious and indeed live a more christ-like life than a supposed theist.
What is your understanding of a "Christ-like" life? is it just going about doing good/charity? Because scripturally, it entails much more - a spiritual angle - which the atheist rejects/denies - and therefore cannot exactly be "christ-like".

Unless of course the 'like' in Christ-like is what you were going for. In which case I retract my submission above. Cheers.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by thehomer: 8:57pm On Mar 30, 2011
I must confess that the article that Imelda Wallace was replying to was short on details which would have made it easier to break the connection claimed between performing good acts and a belief in Gods. But, Wallace's article was quite short on evidence and contained a few fallacies too. I'll address this article paragraph by paragraph.

Deep Sight:

A non-belief in God does not automatically mean an acceptance of the theory of evolution. And man actually is an animal with a highly developed brain. These facts are easily demonstrated by anatomy. The ability to reason is due to the highly developed brain. On the other hand, do spirits reason? Since they have no brains, what do they reason with? What follows appears to be a slippery slope fallacy. It goes from: man is an animal with a highly developed brain to man just follows his instincts like other animals and therefore has no concept of goodness or evil. (Ignoring the inherent contradiction in such a conclusion).

I don't understand the comparison being made above. Especially when one considers that shame is a cultural phenomenon. In some cultures the more alcohol you can hold, the more manly you are considered to be.

The Oxford don, Ronald Knox, used to say that if a dog were to know it was a dog, it would  no longer be  a dog – it would be a human being! He was pointing to the fact that what distinguishes man from animals is the fact that they have intellectual knowledge - ideas and self-consciousness are not physical or material.

So what? Numbers and morals are neither physical nor material.

Now if man is merely a descendent of the apes then obviously there is no such entity as a human being. Moreover, the idea that “people have been caring for each other before religions started” cannot possibly be so since if we came from the apes who undoubtedly have no religion it is hard to see how they care for one another for real care implies  love and REAL love is either spiritual or it is not at all!

Man [b]is [/b]an ape. Another slippery slope fallacy. The fact that humans are a type of apes or even descended from a primitive ape like form does not mean humans do not exist. Also, real care implies love? I hope this person realizes that chimpanzees have been shown to care for a dying relative among other things. Here's a newspaper article showing some chimpanzee actions.

I hope the author of this article realizes that Francis Collins also agrees that humans evolved. Besides, Francis Collins decided to become a Christian when he saw I think it was a frozen waterfall or something along those lines. Then a non-sequitur reference to C. S. Lewis.

Jacques Maritain and his wife Raisa, both eminent Philosophers met as students in the Sorbonne and, under the influence of Atheism and Existentialism, decided to commit suicide within a year if they could not find a reason for their existence because they could not bear the fact that their love had no meaning. They found the Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas, loved each other  according to their newfound truth and both lived to a ripe old age.

And this is an emotional appeal. I really do not see the necessary link between a non-belief in Gods and suicidal nihilism.

Can we be good without believing in God? Not if we believe we are animals. But there are people who are good, as our writer said, who do not believe in God. They are, however, able to choose to be good only because they have a mind that can reason and consequently a free will which have been educated by parents and teachers to know and choose the good.! Otherwise why do mothers spend most of their children’s lives saying: “Don’t be greedy!”, “Don’t be lazy!”, “Give Johnny back his toy!”  Animals don’t need to be told what to do – they just do it. Human beings need to be told what to do in order to be able to develop their intellect and will so they can make the necessary choices to fulfil themselves as mature human beings and not just go about life seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.

We [b]are [/b]animals. Just another strange animal. This author does not realize that mammals tend to teach their offspring survival strategies while other animals e.g reptiles tend not to do the same.

If a person does not believe in God then he probably believes he has only this life to live because after death there will be nothing. If he seeks the good he will be seeking what is good for him. In other words he believes there is no objective morality based on the laws of an intelligent and  loving Creator.  And, as  Professor J. Lorda wrote: “The whole of the moral life consists in the determination to live in accordance with the truth of what man is and what things are.”  If man has a body and a soul then God exists as Creator and religion is the relationship between man and God and, as C.S. Lewis wisely pointed out, “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.”

I contend that it is more moral to do good in this life without seeking some reward or trying to avoid some punishment in the next than to do good in this life due to the threat of punishment or the promise of reward in the next.

Comments?

I'll also like to conclude with this challenge by Christopher Hitchens. "Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer."
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 4:05pm On Mar 31, 2011
JeSoul:

Not a very well written or thought out article in my opinion. But nevetheless, I don't think the author is aruging so much that it is[i] impossible[/i] for atheists to do/be good . . . but rather, the good that the atheist does is:
1 - self-serving
2 - influenced by only limited human understanding, deficient in the divine

and therefore not really good at all - and this from a spiritual perspective - very important.

I would like to echo Nuke's point:

Since Viaro is not here to defend himself, I will help him.

After reading 3 pages of that thread, I don't see where Viaro 'disagreed' with your statement, infact just the opposite: His gripe was with your assertion that this "goodness" of the atheist is somehow 'worship' to 'God' considering the fact that the selling point of an atheist in the first place is that he denies the existence - talkless of worship - of a God. And furthermore which/what God? because there are diverse conceptions of God across the religions. I don't intend on raising dead horses to flog them over, but this is my understanding of Viaro's position. So when you say -
What is your understanding of a "Christ-like" life? is it just going about doing good/charity? Because scripturally, it entails much more - a spiritual angle - which the atheist rejects/denies - and therefore cannot exactly be "christ-like".

Unless of course the 'like' in Christ-like is what you were going for. In which case I retract my submission above. Cheers.

What is "worship" of God? What is the "spiritual angle" of such worship which you refer to? As far as I know, the worship of God is best practiced by showing love for fellow man, Chikena. And anybody who does this and lives this, as such is already worshipping God in the purest possible way, whether or not such person knows or acknowledges that God exists. That's what i was trying to say to viaro, and that is what i say to you.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 4:13pm On Mar 31, 2011
I reproduce in blue below the post in that thread which sums up my view and the point laboured to be made -

^^^ And what does it take to worship God, if not simply be a good person Viaro?

Are the outward forms and rituals, such as Prayer, Praise, Ceremonies etc really required by a Living God?

In all sincerity, let me ask you what you understand by the injunction that one must worship God is Spirit and in Truth?

In my own understanding, that simply means that dead outward ceremonies are not the substance of worshipping God - that the worship of God rather relates to the inward state of the spirit which corresponds to eternal truth.

This is why I brought up the parable of the good Samaritan, which I thought should be sufficient to show you from your own bible that the worship of God has absolutely nothing to do with outward ceremonies, rituals or dogmatic or doctrinal acknowledgements.

Now to elucidate the point it is critical that we carefully note the context of that parable -

The Gospel of Luke provides the context for the parable as:

One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”

So it should be noted that the parable was given within a context of salvation – namely that which would be required for one to be accepted with God.

Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?”

The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’” “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!”

So it is also clear that the ensuing parable sets forth that which it takes to “love God” and “love one’s neighbour.”

This is all the more emphasized since as you well know Jesus often stated that those who care for their neighbours were actually showing such love to him and to God. “I was hungry, and you fed me . . . whenever you did this for one of those, you did the same for me. . . “

The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbour?”

Jesus then replied with a story:

“A Jewish man was travelling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Levite walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side.

Now it is instructive that Jesus selects a Priest and a Levite to demonstrate his point – because the Priest and the Levite as you well know symbolize those who expressly acknowledge God, accept all the attendant doctrines about God and morality, and actively execute the outward rituals of “worshipping” God. The Levites as you know were a dedicated tribe of holy priests within the nation of Israel.

However Jesus has just shown what I am trying to say – namely that all the outward forms of acknowledgement of God which these people subscribed to did not in any way mean that they were really worshipping God – because of their action of ignoring the man who was hurt.

Now note carefully the next verses –

“Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him.”

Stop press! Note the words “despised Samaritan?” Why did Jesus not use any other lay Jew or even a non-specified person to elucidate his point? He rather chose to select what? – a DESPISED SAMARITAN!

Now Wikipedia says -

Portraying a Samaritan in positive light would have come as a shock to Jesus' audience.[1] It is typical of his provocative speech in which conventional expectations are turned upside down.[1]

Thus note carefully the context – the Samaritan symbolizes people who are deemed to be “on the wrong side” of correct religious doctrine at the time and people who were accordingly “despised.”

Notwithstanding that, this is what Jesus conveys –

“Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’

Jesus concludes –

“Now which of these three would you say was a neighbour to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.

In this parable it is critical to note the imagery of the selected individuals –

1. “A Priest and a Levite” – are clearly indicative of people who have formally acknowledged God and are also at the fore-front of all the outward rituals and ceremonies.

2. “A Samaritan” – is considered on the wrong side of doctrine and dogma and is also “generally despised” in religious terms.

However it is easy to see that the man who is supposedly on the wrong side of doctrine – who no indication of God is made about is painted in glowing terms by Jesus because of his kind and merciful deeds.

I need to point out also the Imagery of Brotherly Affiliation. Note this from Wikipedia –

According to the Jewish version of events, when the Judean exile ended in 538 BCE and the exiles began returning home from Babylon, they found their former homeland populated by other people who claimed the land as their own and Jerusalem, their former glorious capital, in ruins.

And –

Jewish tradition maintains a different origin for the Samaritans. The Talmud accounts for a people called "Cuthim" on a number of occasions, mentioning their arrival by the hands of the Assyrians.

Much may be said – but basically there was this divide existing between the Jews and the Samaritans.

Now In answering the question – “who is your neighbor” – the parable of the Good Samaritan goes the extra step of showing that neighborliness arises not from tribal or religious affiliations but from loving acts of concern for one another.

What this shows is that the “groups” of churches, mosques, or other theists, are useless in determining the question of neighborliness. An Atheist or Buddhist could as well be a better neighbor than your Deacon in Church or your Imam in Mosque.

And given the parable of the Good Samaritan, in such an event, we can clearly see WHOM has done the will of God. . . .

So my dear friend, while you edify nobody by talking endlessly about definitions (define this, define that), I assert to you today that which was the living essence of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ – namely that love trumps all things and is the very essence of Christianity.

And if an Atheist or a Buddhist will show such love, then he has certainly met the requirements of the God that Jesus preached about – regardless of whether he accepts that such a God exists or not.

This is so simple and so pure – and should come so naturally to the Christian who is steeped in the ideas of Christ – which ideas tended towards love and doctrinal flexibility: and not towards iron cast “definitions” which you regrettably seem adamantly attached to – at the expense of the simple beauty of the gospel of Jesus. Jesus statements on the observance of the Sabbath and other such – just show the flexibility I speak about – which tends towards –spirit and truth – and not outward forms.

At all events since it is a given that you will yet dispute this simple and lucid example; for the objective reader – I state in simplicity – An Atheist or a Buddhist, if he lives a life of love and charity - certainly does the will of the God that Jesus preached about.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2011
Deep Sight:

What is "worship" of God? What is the "spiritual angle" of such worship which you refer to? As far as [size=18pt]I[/size] know, the worship of God is best practiced by showing love for fellow man, Chikena. And anybody who does this and lives this, as such is already worshipping God in the purest possible way, whether or not such person knows or acknowledges that God exists. That's what i was trying to say to viaro, and that is what i say to you.
Good. As long as you're willing to acknowledge no one else is bound by or subject to your own understanding of what worship is/should entail.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 6:14pm On Mar 31, 2011
Fair enough. I am at least content that through the Parable of the Good Samaritan, no less a personage than Jesus Christ announced full agreement with my view.

So indeed, you are free and welcome to disdain or reject the view Jesus expressed as elucidated above.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2011
Now it is instructive that Jesus selects a Priest and a Levite to demonstrate his point – because the Priest and the Levite as you well know symbolize those who expressly acknowledge God, accept all the attendant doctrines about God and morality, and actively execute the outward rituals of “worshipping” God.The Levites as you know were a dedicated tribe of holy priests within the nation of Israel.

1.   “A Priest and a Levite” – are clearly indicative of people who have formally acknowledged God and are also at the fore-front of all the outward rituals and ceremonies.

2.   “A Samaritan” – is considered on the wrong side of doctrine and dogma and is also “generally despised” in religious terms.

However it is easy to see that the man who is supposedly on the wrong side of doctrine – who no indication of God is made about is painted in glowing terms by Jesus because of his kind and merciful deeds.

[size=24pt]! ! ! ![/size]
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2011
Deep Sight:

Fair enough. I am at least content that through the Parable of the Good Samaritan, no less a personage than Jesus Christ announced full agreement with my view.

So indeed, you are free and welcome to disdain or reject the view Jesus expressed as elucidated above. 

This is truly funny. In spite of how diverse conceptions and interpretations of God and Jesus and the bible are, you insist your view is the true one and we (christians for that matter) are wrong. This is so funny that it is funny. I'm glad that you are well known for building grand castles of sand on singular scripture verses, all the while ignoring others that poke mammoth sized holes in your foundation.

So, If you want to believe "Jesus announced full agreement with your view", you're certainly entitled to hold on to that belief - however unfortunate it is, and unfortunate it really is.

Cheers.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Kay17: 8:39pm On Mar 31, 2011
@deepsight

It surprising your God has sympathy with 'good'. His creation handwork did not show that
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 3:05pm On Apr 01, 2011
@ Jesoul. Maybe it missed you that Jesus told that parable in response to a specific query he received: Lord, what must a man do to be saved. It is therefore obvious that the parable was his summation of what is required of man inorder to stand right with God. This is beyond cavil and i will shudder if you dispute this.

Or perhaps you will be so kind as to relate to us what other 'spiritual' requirements for salvation there are which Jesus must have tardily, carelessly and thoughtlessly left out of his summation, but which requirements are doubtless known to yourself?

I am not surprised, for i have become used to Christians outrightly rejecting the plain teachings of Jesus in favour of their own ideas, and apparently you are no exception to that grand tradition
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by PastorAIO: 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2011
Deep Sight:

@ Jesoul. Maybe it missed you that Jesus told that parable in response to a specific query he received: Lord, what must a man do to be saved. It is therefore obvious that the parable was his summation of what is required of man inorder to stand right with God. This is beyond cavil and i will shudder if you dispute this.

Or perhaps you will be so kind as to relate to us what other 'spiritual' requirements for salvation there are which Jesus must have tardily, carelessly and thoughtlessly left out of his summation, but which requirements are doubtless known to yourself?

I am not surprised, for i have become used to Christians outrightly rejecting the plain teachings of Jesus in favour of their own ideas, and apparently you are no exception to that grand tradition

Actually the parable was told in order to illustrate what it means to love your neighbour. The point I get from it is that your neighbour is not necessarily the guy that goes to the same church as you, or the guy from the same tribe as you.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2011
DS, if you're interested in a response to this unfortunate assertion, I believe Viaro did a pretty good job on that thread.

You're falsely insinuating Jesus put forth a means of salvation of which the only requirement is a ritualistic practice of simply doing 'good works'. You have set up the cart on the race track, but left the horse securely tied in the stable.

The same Jesus said the greatest command is to love God with all your heart, soul and mind - and then to love your neighbor as yourself. You have omitted the first and greatest command, but yet insist that a 'good atheist' is a worshipper of a God that he himself rejects and denies.

Dude, seriously? and you wonder why Viaro got tired of you?

Jesus commented many times on the way/means to Salvation. You cannot pick one parable, one scripture and build your entire philosophy on it - all the while fending off other verses that clearly contradict your claims. The same Jesus also said "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life - and no one comes to the Father except through me". Does anyone else wonder how the atheist can go through a Jesus he does not believe in or accept?
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Enigma(m): 3:53pm On Apr 01, 2011
Three important messages of Jesus

1. Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God
2. To inherit the kingdom of God, you should love God with all your heart etc and love your neighbour
3. Behold I stand at the door and knock, if any man opens the door I shall come in and dine with him

Each requires in the first place an acknowledgment of God -------- I will argue that each of the latter two (i.e. 2 & 3) will either guarantee and/or (at least) evidence no 1. This is part of the all important spiritual angle.

The issue concerning the parable of the Good Samaritan has been dealt with ---- it was a parable to help answer and identify "who is my neighbour?" not a parable in itself answering "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

One last point: in any event even the Samaritans acknowledged "God".
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 4:21pm On Apr 01, 2011
Pastor AIO - the fact that the parable points out who a good neighbor is is obviously only ancillary to the main thrust, namely the requirement to love one's neighbor, which is in turn a requirement for salvation. Thus singling out the tail-end as you have done is totally unhelpful and indeed serves to distort the whole picture as it really should stand.

Clearly the question was what shall a man do in order to be saved. In giving an answer to this question, Jesus talks about loving one's neighbor. Ancillary to this is the query as to whom one's neighbor is. It thus forms one big picture, within which Jesus both identifies who a neighbor is and shows exactly how neighborly love should be manifested in his bid to demonstrate the essentials of salvation. Seeking to hive-off and separate issues as you have done distorts the clear and simple UNITED picture that Jesus drew up.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 5:03pm On Apr 01, 2011
Jesoul. Please do not worry about dear old viaro. In terms of our discourses i am sure there are absurdities enough to fill the entire universe. Such as physical bodies dwelling in spiritual heavens and the like. We leave that to himself and myself.

Let us focus our discussion on the matter for today. Before i proceed, I sense a sense of futility about you: namely that you believe i am deliberately playing the Ostrich. Let me just try to assure you that this is not so. Whatever may be your misgivings about me and my antics either past or present, i hope over time it is at least obvious that i sincerely believe that which i try to discuss. If there is no sincerity there is no purpose in these discussions. So please accept my assurances in that regard, for i would very sincerely love to have an open discussion of this, regardless that it has been discussed from other perspectives in the past.

Now you have pointed out two things to me which i will address. The two things you pointed out to me are as follows-

1. That the first requirement is to love God, and i have ignored this by focusing only on the second requirement - love of fellow man.

2. That Jesus spoke severally about salvation and i have ignored his other injunctions on the requirements, focusing only on the parable of the good Samaritan. And that another of his injunctions wa sthat one may only get to the Father through him.

In response to your first contention i say as follows -

- - - That the transcendental nature of God is not so concerned with an egoistic receipt of human praise or human acknowledgment as that would belittle the very nature of God.

- - - That the worship of God in spirit and in truth, the love of God, is manifested through a love of life. By this i do not mean a hedonistic love of worldly pleasures, but a love of that which is living - a love for that which emanates from God - namely, LIFE and LIVING THINGS. In the immediate sense this connotes the whole wonder of existence and the living beings about us, with whom we share our experience, but in the deeper sense this connotes love for such truly living things in an abstract sense such as love for love itself. I hope you get my meaning.

- - - I say to you that the bible itself is replete with many suggestions to this effect.

- That way to love God is not by any acknowledgment of doctrine or dogma, for that would be an empty and dead love.

There is no way that we can conceive of a transcendental God whose obsession is with egoistic praise and acknowledgement of doctrines such as thie identity of this or that person.

Rather i am persuaded that the gospel of Jesus affirms that the acknowledgment of God is in itself empty and quite useless in spiritual terms beside the simple practice of love. He also made it clear that acknowledging his name by itself would profit no man - even going so far as to corroborate his message in the parable of the good Samaritan by saying that what it would take to love him and to love God would be to show love to fellow men.

Here is relevant scripture in this regard -

Matthew 7:23 - Jesus made it clear that there would be many who believed in his name even to the extent of successfully working miracles and casting out demons in his name. Yet he states that of these people he would say "Depart from me, i never knew ye". . . What this connotes is that their acknowledgment of his name, acceptance of him as lord, and even investiture with miraculous powers from his name, were all empty and dead in his view if these people could not practice love.

This simply shows that the practice of love is what is far more important and relevant as opposed to merely acknowledging his name, however fervently believed or acknowledged.

Again, here is another scripture which i believe hammers home the point -

Matthew 25:35  - In this scripture Jesus specifically said that even people who did not know him but did loving deeds to other humans were actually doing those deeds to him! Thus this affirms my view that one loves God by loving one's fellow man, for how else will you explain this quote from that scripture -

". . .For i was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, i was thirstily, and you gave me something to drink, i was a stranger, and you invited me in, unclothed and you clothed me, i was sick and you visited me, i was in prison, and you came to me. Then the righteous will answer him and when did we do these things. . . And he responded " truly, to the extent that you did these for even the least of my brothers, you did it for me. . ."

I hope that this scripture is more than enough to show you what i am trying to say. It is not by acknowledging him and praising him, etc, but by living acts of love to one another that you actually worship and love God.

There is a deep spiritual reason why this is the truth. And that is simply because we are all a reflection, and minute part each of the totality of the being that exists as ONE. This is the reason for the command of love: it is an adjuration of oneness which trumps all things and goes to the gut of who we are and and what God is.

Without having to separately address your second contention where you said that Jesus stated that no man comeS to the father except through him,  i hope you can already see in the scripture quoted above what it really means to " come  through" Jesus. He has made it clear already both in the parable of the Good Samritan and where he describes love shown to fellow men as love shown to him.

You must therefore see that the first command of love of God, is, in Jesus' view, only fulfilled by exhibiting love TO fellow man in the truest sense.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 5:23pm On Apr 01, 2011
Hi Enigma, long time.

Enigma:

1. Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God

What does it mean to be born again? How exactly does one go about it, and what are the manifestations of those who are born again.

I simply believe that it refers to renewal. A man must be renewed from sin and worldly attachment and thereby is born into his spiritual nature and into spiritual things because his attachment is now to the spiritual.

If there is more to it, please do help me out.

2. To inherit the kingdom of God, you should love God with all your heart etc and love your neighbour

What do you think of the import of Matt 25:35 and Matt 7:23 in this regard?

The issue concerning the parable of the Good Samaritan has been dealt with ---- it was a parable to help answer and identify "who is my neighbour?" not a parable in itself answering "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Please see my post to Pastor AIO above. The definition of neighbourliness was ancillary to the original question on salvation.

One last point: in any event even the Samaritans acknowledged "God".

In view of Matt 7:23 and Matt 25: 35, what would you say it takes to acknowledge God, in Jesus' view?
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by Enigma(m): 5:32pm On Apr 01, 2011
^^ As for this thread, I've said all I need to say for now. You can find my views on the questions you raised by using the search engine here. BTW I doubt if you really mean to refer to Matthew 23:35.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by DeepSight(m): 5:44pm On Apr 01, 2011
Thanks for that: i actually mean Matt 25: 35.

Enigma:

You can find my views on the questions you raised by using the search engine here.

I don't know what key words to search for, so please i wouldn't mind if you drop a link to a thread where you have discussed this before. Thanks.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 6:14pm On Apr 01, 2011
Deep Sight:

Jesoul. Please do not worry about dear old viaro. In terms of our discourses i am sure there are absurdities enough to fill the entire universe. Such as physical bodies dwelling in spiritual heavens and the like. We leave that to himself and myself.

Let us focus our discussion on the matter for today. Before i proceed, I sense a sense of futility about you: namely that you believe i am deliberately playing the Ostrich. Let me just try to assure you that this is not so. Whatever may be your misgivings about me and my antics either past or present, i hope over time it is at least obvious that i sincerely believe that which i try to discuss. If there is no sincerity there is no purpose in these discussions. So please accept my assurances in that regard, for i would very sincerely love to have an open discussion of this, regardless that it has been discussed from other perspectives in the past.

Now you have pointed out two things to me which i will address. The two things you pointed out to me are as follows-

1. That the first requirement is to love God, and i have ignored this by focusing only on the second requirement - love of fellow man.

2. That Jesus spoke severally about salvation and i have ignored his other injunctions on the requirements, focusing only on the parable of the good Samaritan. And that another of his injunctions wa sthat one may only get to the Father through him.

In response to your first contention i say as follows -

- - - That the transcendental nature of God is not so concerned with an egoistic receipt of human praise or human acknowledgment as that would belittle the very nature of God.

- - - That the worship of God in spirit and in truth, the love of God, is manifested through a love of life. By this i do not mean a hedonistic love of worldly pleasures, but a love of that which is living - a love for that which emanates from God - namely, LIFE and LIVING THINGS. In the immediate sense this connotes the whole wonder of existence and the living beings about us, with whom we share our experience, but in the deeper sense this connotes love for such truly living things in an abstract sense such as love for love itself. I hope you get my meaning.

- - - I say to you that the bible itself is replete with many suggestions to this effect.

- That way to love God is not by any acknowledgment of doctrine or dogma, for that would be an empty and dead love.

There is no way that we can conceive of a transcendental God whose obsession is with egoistic praise and acknowledgement of doctrines such as thie identity of this or that person.

Rather i am persuaded that the gospel of Jesus affirms that the acknowledgment of God is in itself empty and quite useless in spiritual terms beside the simple practice of love. He also made it clear that acknowledging his name by itself would profit no man - even going so far as to corroborate his message in the parable of the good Samaritan by saying that what it would take to love him and to love God would be to show love to fellow men.

Here is relevant scripture in this regard -

Matthew 7:23 - Jesus made it clear that there would be many who believed in his name even to the extent of successfully working miracles and casting out demons in his name. Yet he states that of these people he would say "Depart from me, i never knew ye". . . What this connotes is that their acknowledgment of his name, acceptance of him as lord, and even investiture with miraculous powers from his name, were all empty and dead in his view if these people could not practice love.

This simply shows that the practice of love is what is far more important and relevant as opposed to merely acknowledging his name, however fervently believed or acknowledged.

Again, here is another scripture which i believe hammers home the point -

Matthew 23:35  - In this scripture Jesus specifically said that even people who did not know him but did loving deeds to other humans were actually doing those deeds to him! Thus this affirms my view that one loves God by loving one's fellow man, for how else will you explain this quote from that scripture -

". . .For i was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, i was thirstily, and you gave me something to drink, i was a stranger, and you invited me in, unclothed and you clothed me, i was sick and you visited me, i was in prison, and you came to me. Then the righteous will answer him and when did we do these things. . . And he responded " truly, to the extent that you did these for even the least of my brothers, you did it for me. . ."

I hope that this scripture is more than enough to show you what i am trying to say. It is not by acknowledging him and praising him, etc, but by living acts of love to one another that you actually worship and love God.

There is a deep spiritual reason why this is the truth. And that is simply because we are all a reflection, and minute part each of the totality of the being that exists as ONE. This is the reason for the command of love: it is an adjuration of oneness which trumps all things and goes to the gut of who we are and and what God is.

Without having to separately address your second contention where you said that Jesus stated that no man comeS to the father except through him,  i hope you can already see in the scripture quoted above what it really means to " come  through" Jesus. He has made it clear already both in the parable of the Good Samritan and where he describes love shown to fellow men as love shown to him.

You must therefore see that the first command of love of God, is, in Jesus' view, only fulfilled by exhibiting love TO fellow man in the truest sense.
DS, I do understand what you're trying to say:  You believe love for God is accomplished by loving your fellow man.

Mat 22 "Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
^sorry oh, but according to the above, I don't see how you can collapse the 2 commandments and make them one or declare the latter is actually a fulfilment of the first - and in process divorce the spirituality that is at the heart of it, and dismiss it as irrelevant - when you declare an atheist inadvertently worships a God he rejects.

It says "Love the Lord with all your 1Heart 2Soul 3Mind"

-How exactly does an atheist accomplish these 3 core - spiritual - requirements? When by his every breath he actually rejects it?
-Do the words of Jesus here suggest that these commands can be 'inadvertently' fulfilled? without a conscious, concerted effort on our part?
-Does a physical performance of doing good take the place of the heart that inwardly and quietly acknowledges God?

Every reasonable christian will readily agree with you that one who touts faith or love for God - in the absence of love for his fellow man is lost. My only point is that you cannot declare - biblically - that works without faith is all that is needed for salvation. Especially when this same bible is "replete" with examples of Jesus commending people for their faith - not works.
Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by mnwankwo(m): 6:30pm On Apr 01, 2011
God is love. One can also say that God is the source of love. All creatures of God irrespective of race, religion, sex, nationality etc can absorb of this love of God and dispense it accordingly. In the case of human beings, what absorbs this love from God is the human spirit. This love will permeate the spirit, its clocks including the outermost shell, the physical body. Thus he who absorbs the rays of love will manifest love including love for all creations of God. Now, the recognition of this love as coming from God depends on the various radiation connection between the spirit and the various shells surrounding the spirit, the last shell being the physical body and its coordinating center, the human brain. In many of us, this radiation connections are not straight, thus the shells enveloping the spirit are not conscious of the impressions that vibrates in the spirit. Thus a man may believe himself to be an atheist because that is what his brain tells him and yet his spirit is in the recognition of God. Irrespective of his brain telling him that God does not exist, the emanations of the spirit including love still permeates his mind and body resulting in expressions of genuine love. Thus although from a human standpoint, such a man is considered by himself and others to be atheist, spiritually the man is a theist.

In a similar vein the brain and the mind may be trained or indoctrinated or programmed to believe in God but their spirit has no recognition of God. In this case, this believer is actually an atheist even though he believes himself to be a theist. However because he, that is, the spirit has no connection with God, he cannot absorb the rays of love and manifest it. Thus, in spite of his intellectual believe in God, he still manifests the works of the flesh including hatred, anger, lust, gossip, avarice, fear, etc. The species of a seed determines the fruits that it will bear. Thus all genuine love and human beings who indulge in it believe in God even when they are unconscious of it while on earth.

Thus, all human beings who indulge in genuine love are of God and all those who indulge in hatred are not of God. By there works or fruits, you shall know those who stand in the will of God and those that oppose it or do not recognize it. This is an infallible yardstick to know who belongs to God and those who are not.

Therefore the love of God manifests in the love of all creations of God. On earth, it is possible for an atheist to love God without being spiritually conscious of it. However if such atheist continues in the manifestation of the love of God, either later in this earthly life or in the beyond on in another earthly life the emanations of the love of God that vibrates in his spirit will also permeate his earthly brain such that he also becomes conscious of the existence of God while in the physical body. What counts is how our spirit is close or far away from the will of God. Religion, nationality, sex, class and similar things that we think are very important while on earth are worthless once we drop this physical body.

In my view, there is no difference between the pope, the Christian, the mystic or an atheists when it concerns the will of God. Murder is murder whether perpetrated by a pope, a theist or an atheist. Genuine love is genuine love whether it came from an atheist, a pastor or an agnostic. Sometimes we think too much and thus think nothing. If we look around even on earth, we should find that the natural laws which are the manifestation of the will of God in nature does not give a hoot about all these artificial constructs. If a bud-hist sows yam in a fertile soil, he will reap yam. The same goes for an atheist and the theist. In an earthquake or epidemic or accident, both theists and atheists are saved and killed. A deeper look on why these things are the way they are may open our eyes to the working of God. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Re: Wallace: We Cannot Be Good If God Does Not Exist by JeSoul(f): 6:37pm On Apr 01, 2011
^M_Nwankwo, oga sir, I hope you and the whole family are well beyond well smiley.

m_nwankwo:

God is love. One can also say that God is the source of love. All creatures of God irrespective of race, religion, sex, nationality etc can absorb of this love of God and dispense it accordingly. In the case of human beings, what absorbs this love from God is the human spirit. This love will permeate the spirit, its clocks including the outermost shell, the physical body. Thus he who absorbs the rays of love will manifest love including love for all creations of God. Now, the recognition of this love as coming from God depends on the various radiation connection between the spirit and the various shells surrounding the spirit, the last shell being the physical body and its coordinating center, the human brain. In many of us, this radiation connections are not straight, thus the shells enveloping the spirit are not conscious of the impressions that vibrates in the spirit. Thus a man may believe himself to be an atheist because that is what his brain tells him and yet his spirit is in the recognition of God. Irrespective of his brain telling him that God does not exist, the emanations of the spirit including love still permeates his mind and body resulting in expressions of genuine love. Thus although from a human standpoint, such a man is considered by himself and others to be atheist, spiritually the man is a theist.

In a similar vein the brain and the mind may be trained or indoctrinated or programmed to believe in God but their spirit has no recognition of God. In this case, this believer is actually an atheist even though he believes himself to be a theist. However because he, that is, the spirit has no connection with God, he cannot absorb the rays of love and manifest it. Thus, in spite of his intellectual believe in God, he still manifests the works of the flesh including hatred, anger, lust, gossip, avarice, fear, etc. The species of a seed determines the fruits that it will bear. Thus all genuine love and human beings who indulge in it believe in God even when they are unconscious of it while on earth.

Thus, all human beings who indulge in genuine love are of God and all those who indulge in hatred are not of God. By there works or fruits, you shall know those who stand in the will of God and those that oppose it or do not recognize it. This is an infallible yardstick to know who belongs to God and those who are not.

Therefore the love of God manifests in the love of all creations of God. On earth, it is possible for an atheist to love God without being spiritually conscious of it. However if such atheist continues in the manifestation of the love of God, either later in this earthly life or in the beyond on in another earthly life the emanations of the love of God that vibrates in his spirit will also permeate his earthly brain such that he also becomes conscious of the existence of God while in the physical body. What counts is how our spirit is close or far away from the will of God. Religion, nationality, sex, class and similar things that we think are very important while on earth are worthless once we drop this physical body.

In my view, there is no difference between the pope, the Christian, the mystic or an atheists when it concerns the will of God. Murder is murder whether perpetrated by a pope, a theist or an atheist. Genuine love is genuine love whether it came from an atheist, a pastor or an agnostic. Sometimes we think too much and thus think nothing. If we look around even on earth, we should find that the natural laws which are the manifestation of the will of God in nature does not give a hoot about all these artificial constructs. If a bud-hist sows yam in a fertile soil, he will reap yam. The same goes for an atheist and the theist. In an earthquake or epidemic or accident, both theists and atheists are saved and killed. A deeper look on why these things are the way they are may open our eyes to the working of God. Best wishes.
  Very well articulated.

And as long as you weren't trying to convince us like DS that this is what bible (and Jesus) teaches.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For Atheists In Nigeria? Here's One. / Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? / David Ibiyeomie. {a King In This Times}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 248
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.