Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,271 members, 7,839,357 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing (414 Views)

Help Nairalanders, My Farm Is Going Down / My Vegetable Farm In Pictures. / My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Legendguy(m): 12:07pm On Jan 09, 2021
I need a good advice on how to go about this.
My family relocated from Lagos to a town in ogun state. Due to the underdevelopment of the town, my mum got involved in cultivating vegetables to generate income, mostly ugwu at the back of the house. Our land demarcation joined with someones land at the back where my mum is planning, and each time she planted, the ugwu will extend to their land, although the owner of the land has done foundation. my mum was making money from the ugwu business. When the news got to the owner of the land that we are using his land to farm, he came and started ranting and shouting reporting us to the rest neighborhood,
So one night like that I peep through my window and saw the man spraying some substances on the land, and ever since then ugwn has never grown well on that land.
My mum kept insisting that's they are diabolical people and they imvoke something on the land. I tend to agree because the man is an Alfa. I told mum that we can see if we can sterilize the soil may be the soil lack nutrients but she insisted that they have done diabolical things on the land.
My question is that is it possible for such a thing as diabolical to happen on the land, or it's just lack of soil nutrients
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Lavisha(f): 12:11pm On Jan 09, 2021
Haa!
Aye le o!
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Mraphel: 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2021
Using somebody's land without his authority is uncalled for but however the poor rain and high temperature of last year affected all plants.

The Alfa sprayed herbicide nothing else. My Ugwu last year performed poorly too.

Check if there's diseases like fungi attacking the Ugwu plant, proper staking and weeds can be contributory factor.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by habsydiamond(m): 12:26pm On Jan 09, 2021
Was the thing sprayed on ur land or on your neighbor's own... Cos I am not understanding at all

1 Like

Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Mide3367: 12:34pm On Jan 09, 2021
Some wil say juju but I tell u it is herbicide... But why would she use the land without telling the landlord? That isn't even a problem at all. The question is why didnt she try get her own permanent place?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Tolexander: 12:40pm On Jan 09, 2021
Lavisha:
Haa!

Aye le o!
Ibosi o
Aiye dorikodo, ko ye mi mo
Ibi a ma gba o, ko ye niyan
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Tolexander: 12:43pm On Jan 09, 2021
Legendguy:
I need a good advice on how to go about this.
My family relocated from Lagos to a town in ogun state. Due to the underdevelopment of the town, my mum got involved in cultivating vegetables to generate income, mostly ugwu at the back of the house. Our land demarcation joined with someones land at the back where my mum is planning, and each time she planted, the ugwu will extend to their land, although the owner of the land has done foundation. my mum was making money from the ugwu business. When the news got to the owner of the land that we are using his land to farm, he came and started ranting and shouting reporting us to the rest neighborhood,
So one night like that I peep through my window and saw the man spraying some substances on the land, and ever since then ugwn has never grown well on that land.
My mum kept insisting that's they are diabolical people and they imvoke something on the land. I tend to agree because the man is an Alfa. I told mum that we can see if we can sterilize the soil may be the soil lack nutrients but she insisted that they have done diabolical things on the land.
My question is that is it possible for such a thing as diabolical to happen on the land, or it's just lack of soil nutrients
Nothing so diabolical about the chemical sprayed by the man. The man has only sprayed herbicide to kill the weeds on his land.

The man owns the land and may still use it in the future, I see no reason why he will want to destroy his own property by disallowing his neighbor to use it.

Rain was so inconsistent from the middle to the end of last year. The very reason why your mama’s Ugwu never did so well.

But to be sincere, tell your mum to seek permission from the man before using his land for farming. It is very honorable doing so

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Legendguy(m): 1:21pm On Jan 09, 2021
habsydiamond:
Was the thing sprayed on ur land or on your neighbor's own... Cos I am not understanding at all
I jus saw him spraying something in the night. He was standing on his land spraying something, but our own part of the land couldn't produce ugwu again. For over a year she haven't cultivated ugu
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Legendguy(m): 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2021
Tolexander:
Nothing so diabolical about the chemical sprayed by the man. The man has only sprayed herbicide to kill the weeds on his land.

The man owns the land and may still use it in the future, I see no reason why he will want to destroy his own property by disallowing his neighbor to use it.

Rain was so inconsistent from the middle to the end of last year. The very reason why your mama’s Ugwu never did so well.

But to be sincere, tell your mum to seek permission from the man before using his land for farming. It is very honorable doing so
He sprayed it in the night.
If he wanted to spray herbicide, he could have done it during the day.
It's not that he was using a sprayer or so.
It could be a solid or liquid substances.
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Legendguy(m): 1:25pm On Jan 09, 2021
Mraphel:
Using somebody's land without his authority is uncalled for but however the poor raining and high temperature of this year affected all plants.

The Alfa sprayed herbicide nothing else. My Ugwu this year performed poorly too.

Check if there's diseases like fungi attacking the plant, proper staking and weeds can be contributing factor.
I considered checking it, that's why I suggested sterilizing the soil bfor we plant but she was just uninterested.
She has made up her mind that's it's spiritual,
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Legendguy(m): 1:26pm On Jan 09, 2021
Mide3367:
Some wil say juju but I tell u it is herbicide... But why would she use the land without telling the landlord? That isn't even a problem at all. The question is why didnt she try get her own permanent place?
His land has boundaries with ours so the ugwu extended to his land
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by habsydiamond(m): 1:36pm On Jan 09, 2021
Legendguy:

I jus saw him spraying something in the night. He was standing on his land spraying something, but our own part of the land couldn't produce ugwu again. For over a year she haven't cultivated ugu
what he sprayed affected ur mum portion of the land. There are ways through which you can improvise if the land is not good enough... Get bags of cements fill the bags with loamy soil and plant ur ugu. U can even transplant later...thats people for u thou... Watchword: it's not everyone that is happy about ur progress.. So be careful.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Mraphel: 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2021
Legendguy:

I considered checking it, that's why I suggested sterilizing the soil bfor we plant but she was just uninterested.
She has made up her mind that's it's spiritual,
Not sterilization problem to me but u sud know better...do u have picture of the Ugwu plant?
Re: My Mum Vegetable Farm Is No Longer Growing by Akinola100: 10:12pm On Jan 09, 2021
since your mum planted the Ugwu in her land, the plants just extended to his own, I don't see this as being too serious of a problem.
Some people in your neighborhood might not be happy with the way your mum is making it from the business, that is why they informed him. Some people are just evil, they hate people doing better than them

(1) (Reply)

Poultry Request / Oil Palm Seedlings (tenera) / Let's Talk About Agro-processing Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.