Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,572 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1644435 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 8:26am On Jun 09, 2021
Sandrahopes:
Hello house, can someone give me directions to federal civil service club, from ikeja, I plan on taking brt. Thank you
Brt, Ikeja-Obalende(under bridge).
From OB, take bike going to your destination.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Demnan: 8:31am On Jun 09, 2021
]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mayokunudo: 8:47am On Jun 09, 2021
Stevenssen:

alright
my email address is neroudogu@gmail.com. you can drop yours or send a mail so I can communicate with you thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Lowoa: 9:00am On Jun 09, 2021
TJ0987:
Thank you. I applied to Georgia State University (Urban Studies PhD), Ohio State University PhD City and Regional Planning, City University of New York (Sociology), and University of california irvine (Sociology).
I want to do a PhD in Sociology.

Was it before they submit or after submitting their recommendation?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mardean22S: 9:06am On Jun 09, 2021
Alright, Thanks.

I just sent an email to you.

[color=#006600][/color]
Francangel:
Hi! Thank you.

Yes, you can send me a private message.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Styles3six: 9:54am On Jun 09, 2021
Good morning house , my interview date is tomorrow
My sponsor is a female friend from USA and I have the bank statement from her
Any advice will be accepted since she's not my relative and she's also in USA based
How can I show home proof incase been asked ! Thanks for answers

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by emmanuelle27: 10:37am On Jun 09, 2021
Nice one, she's literally saying ignore the gate keepers, they're not always right, thanks for that
Bigsecret:
Good morning NL family.

I feel the need to say this here.

First is, this abroad journey, do not let anyone discourage you grin. I remember reaching out to someone earlier in 2017 and the person practically wrote me off. In his words, ‘If it’s education you want to study, you can never get funding.’ Although, I knew I could also pursue a career with my other degree, English ( I mean I could decide if to do MSC in English or Education), but I wouldn’t throw my passion in the air because I am looking for full funding. I got discouraged and gave up the idea.

Fast forward to 2019, I took Unilag exam on that faithful day, July 24,2019. This was the deal breaker for me, I knew instantly that I was done with Nigeria’s Education System. Tbh, the system irritated me at that time. I remember getting home that day and instead of me to sleep, I started researching.

My research took me days and months of sleepless nights. I remember checking through schools even at my work place. Did those research yield a positive result? Ofcourse they did. I got full ride in like 5 schools with no deficit. I could only beat myself up as to why I didn’t try research myself earlier. My point is, don’t be lazy, do your research, don’t let anyone discourage you (of course I listened to few people then, but I was quick to filter what everyone said to me), you will be surprised how much you can do yourself when you spend time researching.

I hope this helps someone, thank you!

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 10:49am On Jun 09, 2021
Hello All,

I did my visa interview today at the Lagos embassy and was denied. The reason was because the VO said there is no proof that I got a tuition waiver from my school but I showed her where it was written on the I-20 but she said it’s not enough proof. I attack the I-20 screenshot below.

Transcript
VO: Good Morning. Pass me your I-20 and passport.
VO: Why are you going to the USA
Me: I’m going to the USA for my masters in Industrial Engineering at LSU
VO: Why LSU
Me: After I completed my GRE exam, I went online to look for universities that offer admission for Ms in industrial engineering and LSU was part of the universities that came up in the search. I emailed the departmental coordinator with my credentials and she gave a promising reply and went far as saying I can merit a tuition waiver from the graduate school with my credentials which I was later awarded.

—That is where the problem started, the VO said she can’t see any tuition waiver award on my I-20 but I told her it’s right there under the remarks with a ** and she said no.

Then I brought out a printout of the email from the graduate school where they gave the tuition waiver award and she said that is still not enough evidence and she will be denying my visa.

Normally total cost of attendance is $47,600 but with my tuition waiver it’s $22100. But yet this VO is not taking it.

Please help me guys, I am trying to reapply, could you please advise on what need to be done?

I just emailed the department coordinator, graduate school, and ISO office to notify them about this and request an official letter of the tuition waiver award but no reply yet coz I think it’s still very early in USA.

Please advise on what I can do about this.

Also:
What process do I need to take to reapply for my visa? Do I need to fill in another DS-160? Could some help with a high level view of how I need to reapply for appointment because I am trying to reapply today ASAP to get a date sooner.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Laye92: 10:52am On Jun 09, 2021
No, I have been denied before.

Malone122:
first timer ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JoeEINSTEIN(m): 10:58am On Jun 09, 2021
Good morning NL

Please my friend has a situation and needs help.

She has a funding of 30k and a deficit of 13k
She was denied visa 1st of June and wants to reapply.
Please is it advisable for her to make changes to her DS 160? In her first attempt, she filled the school as the sponsor and her actual course of the study.
Now she's not sure whether to leave the school as the sponsor or use her guardian who will be covering the deficit.
She's also not sure whether to change the course to the one on her I-20 or leave it as the one she initially filled.

Please kindly help.

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by psychologyshuby: 10:59am On Jun 09, 2021
Sorry to hear this. I also can’t spot the tuition waiver. On the I20, it states that all funds are coming from family.I will advice you inform your school and ask them for a new I20 stating your waiver and all other funds coming from the school. All the best dear.
Shadomaan7:
Hello All,

I did my visa interview today at the Lagos embassy and was denied. The reason was because the VO said there is no proof that I got a tuition waiver from my school but I showed her where it was written on the I-20 but she said it’s not enough proof. I attack the I-20 screenshot below.

Transcript
Me: After I completed my GRE exam, I went online to look for universities that offer admission for Ms in industrial engineering and LSU was part of the universities that came up in the search. I emailed the departmental coordinator with my credentials and she gave a promising reply and went far as saying I can merit a tuition waiver from the graduate school with my credentials which I was later awarded.

—That is where the problem started, the VO said she can’t see any tuition waiver award on my I-20 but I told her it’s right there under the remarks with a ** and she said no.

Then I brought out a printout of the email from the graduate school where they gave the tuition waiver award and she said that is still not enough evidence and she will be denying my visa.

Normally total cost of attendance is $47,600 but with my tuition waiver it’s $22100. But yet this VO is not taking it.

Please help me guys, I am trying to reapply, could you please advise on what need to be done?

I just emailed the department coordinator, graduate school, and ISO office to notify them about this and request an official letter of the tuition waiver award but no reply yet coz I think it’s still very early in USA.

Also:
What process do I need to take to reapply for my visa? Do I need to fill in another DS-160? Could some help with a high level view of how I need to reapply for appointment because I am trying to reapply today ASAP to get a date sooner.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 09, 2021
Laye92:
No, I have been denied before.

Honestly I don’t know how long this your not seeing dates Would last for…someone once advised me to create a new profile then call them through the web till they pick they would surely pick just keep calling….
Then tell them you lost access and you want them to please transfer your details passport number and co to the new profile you created

Call them today because if you keep waiting, time is going and see what they would say
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 11:06am On Jun 09, 2021
psychologyshuby:
Sorry to hear this. I also can’t spot the tuition waiver. On the I20, it states that all funds are coming from family.I will advice you inform your school and ask them for a new I20 stating your waiver and all other funds coming from the school. All the best dear.

Thank you. I have emailed them this morning but still awaiting their reply. The ** on the I-20 is where they talked about the waiver.

Please do you know the process for visa re-application?

—Should I re-fill a new DS-160 form ?
—I checked my appointment portal and there is no where to create a new appointment and it’s still showing my old appointment date and time. Maybe I’m being too fast in this.

Below is the email I showed to the VO also but she is just not taking it as evidence.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adeyusuf2000: 11:12am On Jun 09, 2021
customised87:

Mega risk ooo.
Sevis fee is supposed to be paid not later than three days before the appointment date. They may not be able to confirm it at the embassy

Chai, she was denied today after the following transcripts as at 7am this morning :

VO: Which school are you going to?

She: I am going to xyz college.

VO: What course are you going to study?

She: am going to study Health Science.

Typing...... Gave out blue paper. Tell her to reapply.

Could it be that the late Sevis that she just paid yesterday or what? Please help
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 09, 2021
adeyusuf2000:

Chai, she was denied today after the following transcripts as at 7am this morning :

VO: Which school are you going to?

She: I am going to xyz college.

VO: What course are you going to study?

She: am going to study Health Science.

Typing...... Gave out blue paper. Tell her to reapply.

Could it be that the late Sevis that she just paid yesterday or what? Please help
could be o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by desmond0001(m): 11:21am On Jun 09, 2021
Please how do I reapply? Do I need to fill another DS-160 as a new application?

Please answer asap
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by LadyCaty(f): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2021
Childofthemosth:
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I just graduated a university here in Nigeria, I should have graduated last year but covid/ASUU situation made them postpone the academic year. My degree is in Education

I applied for an undergraduate degree in Psychology/counseling in the U.S and have my interview coming up in about 3 weeks.

Does having a previous undergraduate reduce my chance?

Hello, it doesnt always sell but you just have to try since you have almost completed it..Just have a tangible reason why you are going for another bsc instead of masters..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2021
desmond0001:
Please how do I reapply? Do I need to fill another DS-160 as a new application?

Please answer asap
yes

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nozino: 11:41am On Jun 09, 2021
morgang:

Congratulations. However, not sure why you have to hide name of the school. 2 years ago, I made a solo effort in searching and applying to schools for the same program you going for. All the schools I applied to didn’t offer any form of assistantship/scholarship. The closest I got was a waitlist (Kansas State University). The only school that offered me funding was the school (Texas Tech) a gentleman on this platform suggested. I eventually met him sometimes this year at Texas to personally thank him for the suggestions.

There is no big deal mentioning name of school hommie. America is very big and fit enough to accommodate all and sundry. You might eventually get to the so called department and make a detour in your major or possibly transfer. As I speak there are 3 Nigerians in my department and according to my prof. 3 more are expected to arrive this fall. MA/Phd Political science is “lucrative” and quite promising in the States. You might eventually like the drill that comes with the program or otherwise. Share information necessary for others to gain; transcripts are getting too cliche nowadays, the information like name of schools, funding etc is what that matters- not your conversation with the VO!!

Nonetheless, congratulations and wish you the best.

Comman marry my sister for free sir!!

Left to me, these people shouldn’t bother sharing their transcripts if they intend leaving out important information such as name of uni, how they got funding etc.

All this xgx , dry, wpc transcript are annoying.

12 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iPhenas(f): 11:52am On Jun 09, 2021
Hello,

I am sorry you got denied.

With this letter, kindly email the DSO or SEVIS coordinator that there is a mistake on your I-20 and you have a tuition waiver. From what I see your tuition does not cover your living expenses and insurance so you'll need a bank statement to show your deficits. However, the tuition waiver needs to be either $0 or kept in such a way the VO or user will know you actually got a full tuition waiver.

Kindly, let them know and they will make changes accordingly. Also, try to work on answering your questions well. When asked why LSU give much more better answers. Talk about their labs and other things before you bring up your tuition waiver.

Good luck!

Shadomaan7:

Thank you. I have emailed them this morning but still awaiting their reply. The ** on the I-20 is where they talked about the waiver.

Please do you know the process for visa re-application?

—Should I re-fill a new DS-160 form ?
—I checked my appointment portal and there is no where to create a new appointment and it’s still showing my old appointment date and time. Maybe I’m being too fast in this.

Below is the email I showed to the VO also but she is just not taking it as evidence.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tobzzzty(m): 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2021
Please can someone help me out on this. I just got my I20.
1. Should I proceed to apply for visa or should I pay for Sevis fee firsr before applying for the visa.?
2. My academics will resume August 30,2021. Do I have time to get a scheduled visa interview b4 that time?
3. Is Abuja still available for visa interview, because last i checked it was showing "Emergency interview" for the waiting time.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2021
Tobzzzty:
Please can someone help me out on this. I just got my I20.
1. Should I proceed to apply for visa or should I pay for Sevis fee firsr before applying for the visa.?
2. My academics will resume August 30,2021. Do I have time to get a scheduled visa interview b4 that time?
3. Is Abuja still available for visa interview, because last i checked it was showing "Emergency interview" for the waiting time.

For question 1. You can proceed to apply for visa before paying SEVIS fee but make sure you pay before 3 days to your interview.

I don’t know for Q2 & Q3

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2021
iPhenas:
Hello,

I am sorry you got denied.

With this letter, kindly email the DSO or SEVIS coordinator that there is a mistake on your I-20 and you have a tuition waiver. From what I see your tuition does not cover your living expenses and insurance so you'll need a bank statement to show your deficits. However, the tuition waiver needs to be either $0 or kept in such a way the VO or user will know you actually got a full tuition waiver.

Kindly, let them know and they will make changes accordingly. Also, try to work on answering your questions well. When asked why LSU give much more better answers. Talk about their labs and other things before you bring up your tuition waiver.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I have emailed the school and awaiting their response.

Yes, I have bank statement to cover for the remaining fees (living expenses and etc).

Lastly, do I need to fill a new DS-160 when reapplying ?

Also to re-book visa appointment, there is no where to rebook appointment, do I need to create a new profile entirely?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chibertha(f): 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2021
I don't see no tuition waiver what I saw was family funds $22...
Shadomaan7:
Hello All,

Transcript

Also:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2021
Shadomaan7:

Thanks for your advice. I have emailed the school and awaiting their response.

Yes, I have bank statement to cover for the remaining fees (living expenses and etc).

Lastly, do I need to fill a new DS-160 when reapplying ?

Also to re-book visa appointment, there is no where to rebook appointment, do I need to create a new profile entirely?
You've to wait till after 24hrs before you can schedule another appointment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 1:02pm On Jun 09, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

You've to wait till after 24hrs before you can schedule another appointment

Okay thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2021
chibertha:
I don't see no tuition waiver what I saw was family fumes $22...

Yes they did not put it in that section. But if you check well there is **. Then the ** is also put after the family.

Then in the remarks, they explained the meaning of ** in the second line.

“** With Graduate school tuition award, resident tuition and non resident tuition is waived”.

Someone need to pay attention to details well before they can see that so I don’t blame the VO. I’ve emailed the school for an updated I-20 clearly showing it.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Laye92: 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2021
Thank you for your assistance. I did what @customised87 advised and I was able to see dates from July 22nd. Created the new profile and uploaded international passport then waited for to merge my old profile and get back to me via email. After which they did the next day and I was able to see dates.

Malone122:

Honestly I don’t know how long this your not seeing dates Would last for…someone once advised me to create a new profile then call them through the web till they pick they would surely pick just keep calling….
Then tell them you lost access and you want them to please transfer your details passport number and co to the new profile you created

Call them today because if you keep waiting, time is going and see what they would say

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tsanusi: 1:39pm On Jun 09, 2021
I have a few issues I would like
to help me rectify.

1. I had a previous MRV Receipt number (xxxxxxxx) which has expired. That was 2019 I didn’t go for the B1 interview it was canceled.

2. I have a new MRV Receipt number (xxxxxxxxx) For F1 which I am trying to
use to schedule my visa interview.

The challenge is that my old MRV KEEPS popping up and won’t let me input
the new MRV. Kindly help me cause the appointment has been scheduled for june17 with the old MRV. What can I do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mantics(m): 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2021
Shadomaan7:

Yes they did not put it in that section. But if you check well there is **. Then the ** is also put after the family.

Then in the remarks, they explained the meaning of ** in the second line.

“** With Graduate school tuition award, resident tuition and non resident tuition is waived”.

Someone need to pay attention to details well before they can see that so I don’t blame the VO. I’ve emailed the school for an updated I-20 clearly showing it.

The fault is from the school. Under that Fund from the school, they ought to put the amount they are giving you there. The school should reissue another I-20. Best of luck

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadomaan7: 1:45pm On Jun 09, 2021
mantics:

The fault is from the school. Under that Fund from the school, they ought to put the amount they are giving you there. The school should reissue another I-20. Best of luck

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Cjexzy13(m): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2021
Please I have being having serious challenges with writing my statement of purpose.
Any help?
Please

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.