Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1661093 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2021
I follow a US student visa page on facebook and this is the answer someone gave in a visa interview in Phillipines. Sometimes I think this visa officers in Nigeria are hard on us Nigerians. Imagine...can anyone tell me boldly that if this person were to be a Nigerian and this interview were to be in Abuja or lagos that this person will be given visa? I don't just understand....sometimes all these make me wonder...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kenwizy(m): 3:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hello guys

Please can I sponsor myself if I have a fully funded scholarship and what is the risk attached..?

Or must I always have a sponsor even if I have a scholarship or a full tuition waiver ?

Your response to this would be highly appreciated..

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 3:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
kenwizy:
Hello guys

Please can I sponsor myself if I have a fully funded scholarship and what is the risk attached..?

Or must I always have a sponsor even if I have a scholarship or a full tuition waiver ?

Thanks

If you have a fully funded scholarship then your sponsor is the organization or school giving you the scholarship. If it's partial scholarship then the school or organization is your sponsor then as for the deficit, you can sponsor yourself or any member of your family can sponsor you.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hallelujahvoice: 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2021
kenwizy:
Hello guys

Thanks

First and foremost, if you have a full tuition waiver / sponsorship, it's important to note if there are any deficits.
If no, I believe there's no need for a sponsor as the organisation offering the scholarship is your sponsor.

I don't think they (VOs) even ask for SOA if there are no deficits.
However, having a scholarship doesn't automatically qualify you for Visa Approval. You still need to put in the work and PRAY.

If there's a deficit, you'll need to prove that you have funds available for that.
Either self (be ready to prove that you are capable of doing so...maybe from your savings or the kind of work you do #workexperience

Or better still, a family member.

Speaking of risks, life itself is a risk and it's risky not taking risks.
So my brother/sister, give it a shot and pray for really good outcomes.

Selah

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Omonikansoso: 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2021
What if you have a surplus. Whom should you write as paying gor the trip (quote author=Malone122 post=102777527]whomever is paying that 3k[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sslooss: 4:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Jayjohnson08:
Hello, I am 24, having my Bsc. in Computer science (2:1). I want to enroll for an international scholarship for masters degree.

Please I need your assistance on the following:
- What do I need to be eligible for application?
- How do I go about the needs?
- What are the chances of getting a study visa?

Await your responses. Thank you.

You should check out EducationUSA's website, they provide students with information about applying to universities, getting scholarships/assistantships and the visa process. Also they hold free counselling session on Wednesdays, which you have to register for.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HanjeeLamar: 4:48pm On Jun 25, 2021
My Transcript

Date: 23-06-2021
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Funding: Deficit of $21,000
GRE: 304
TOEFL/IELTS: Nill
Number of attempts: 1st
School: East Carolina University

Me: Good morning Sir
VO: Good morning
VO: So you're going to study Econometrics and Quantitative Economics, that's a very specific course
Me: Yes Sir
VO: Tell me, What will this degree do for you
Me: This course fits nicely into my 5-7year plan of breaking into senior management at a leading Nigerian bank. I took statistics of the senior managers and above in my bank and found that atleast 2 of every 3 had an undergraduate or graduate degree in Economics or Finance related course-
VO Cuts-in : please where your mask properly, you are not supposed to pull your mask down
Me: Sorry Sir
Me: So I intend to combine the knowledge of
VO cuts in: you don't have all the time, there are other applicants I have to get to.
Me: I understand Sir, I expect that the knowledge from ECU will equip me with relevant analysis skill in areas of banking like Customer profiling, Customer service, Target marketing and and and.. (stamerring) other areas.
How long have you been working at your current job
Me: almost two years, since October 2019
VO: So you worked as a teacher of Economics and Commerce at
VO & I: ...at Bleep
VI: Global Markets Analyst at...
VO & I: at bleep
Tell me about your family
Me: my Dad is a retiree, he now works with my aunty in one of her offices in bleep state.
VO: looks at me with curiousity*
Me: My aunty supplies frozen fishes in bulk to 13 states in Nigeria
VO: Ooh she is the one stated on your form as sponsor.
My mother is a teacher, and one of my brothers is in film school to be a Nollyhood Director, while the other owns a delivery company. *Not sure he heard the others but was particular about my Dad/Aunt*
VO: do you have her statement here?, let me have it
Me: here Sir
VO: looks through it for about 20 seconds*
Please have it back.
Everything looks good from here. You can have your 1-20. Your visa will be approved, please pick up your passport at bla bla in the next 2-3 bussiness bla bla
Me: thank you Sir, thank you

NB: when people say God did it, know that God actually did it. I didn’t get a chance to say half the things I planned, and it was shaky at different points, but God did it.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Girlbestfriend(f): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
HanjeeLamar:
My Transcript

VO: So you're going to study Econometrics and Quantitative Economics, that's a very specific course
Me: This course fits nicely into my 5-7year plan of breaking into senior management at a leading Nigerian bank. I took statistics of the senior managers and above in my bank and found that atleast 2 of every 3 had an undergraduate or graduate degree in Economics or Finance related course-
VO Cuts-in : please where your mask properly, you are not supposed to pull your mask down
VO cuts in: you don't have all the time, there are other applicants I have to get to.
Me: I understand Sir, I expect that the knowledge from ECU will equip me with relevant analysis skill in areas of banking like Customer profiling, Customer service, Target marketing and and and.. (stamerring) other areas.
Me: my Dad is a retiree, he now works with my aunty in one of her offices in bleep state.
My mother is a teacher, and one of my brothers is in film school to be a Nollyhood Director, while the other owns a delivery company. *Not sure he heard the others but was particular about my Dad/Aunt*
Please have it back.
Everything looks good from here. You can have your 1-20. Your visa will be approved, please pick up your passport at bla bla in the next 2-3 bussiness bla bla

NB: when people say God did it, know that God actually did it. I didn’t get a chance to say half the things I planned, and it was shaky at different points, but God did it.

Congratulations!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HorlarJP: 6:15pm On Jun 25, 2021
Malone122:
definitely
Excel well in your SAT

SAT?
Omoh I have a long way to go before knowing all this… I am kinda used to the Canadian thread but they declined my study visa application this year January but it seem it was due to my inability to really provide the $10k Canadian dollar statement of account. So I intend on looking for scholarship stuff
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by watchwoman(f): 6:19pm On Jun 25, 2021
Please who can help me pay my sevis fee on this forum...a legit person please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by walepepe21: 6:41pm On Jun 25, 2021
iWasNotHere:
CONGRATS

post=103074805]Approved
Abuja
25 June 2021
Deficit: 25k
No funding

VO: I see you're going to Missouri State University for your master's degree in computer science
Me: yes ma'am
VO: did you apply to other Schools
Me: Yes, I applied to 4, (I mentioned the 4 and said one rejected me)
VO: so why did you pick Missouri State?
Me: (I went blank after all the practice I've done, I couldn't recall my rehearsed answer, so I freestyled)

Missouri State seemed very interested in my career goals, immediately after admission I was offered an advisor who read my SOP and advised me on the best courses for my career.

VO: who's sponsoring you?
Me: my mum, she runs the family hospitality business with 3 hotels

VO: What will you do when you return?
Me: The Nigerian fintech sector is currently booming and we have two unicorns, with this boom there will be a requirement requirement for labour. With my background in financial services and the skills I will be acquiring through this program, I will be able to get a role in the fintech sector.

VO: I see you have a sibling there?
Me: Yes, my brother is there on a basketball scholarship (I was still talking, VO cuts in)
VO: where does he stay? (I kept on talking tangential to the question)
VO: Where!!!
Me: SD

She typed for a long time and then gave me the white paper.

Please always look them in the eye while speaking, it helps to display confidence. I have never been a cramming person, so while doing my mocks I suspected a blank out. During that time, I worked on a freestyle alternative and this saved me a lot. The VO never smiled all through just kept a neutral face. When you see this, don't be discouraged - it's part of the job.
Hearty Congratulations

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hybeesalau: 6:52pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hello guys. Please how's the record for abuja concerning emergencies. Are they ghosting Pple like Lagos too.?
I want to switch to abj and request emergency there that's why I'm asking pls. Lagos has ghosted me for abt 2 weeks now.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dapsalmy: 7:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
Message @walspring he's sure, he paid mine 100%

https://www.nairaland.com/walspring

watchwoman:
Please who can help me pay my sevis fee on this forum...a legit person please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by hansmond93: 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2021
HanjeeLamar:
My Transcript

Please have it back.

Congratulations on getting your visa!
I sent you a message, I plan to attend ECU, I have my I-20 already. thanks

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HanjeeLamar: 7:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
Guys please is there a thread for airlines and tickets information for US travel?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by omokennyoguns20: 8:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
From what I noticed on this trend, I think people are getting a reply from Abuja. But, will you still be able to use the same receipt? I'm not sure u can o.
Pls confirm before you switch o.
Hybeesalau:
Hello guys. Please how's the record for abuja concerning emergencies. Are they ghosting Pple like Lagos too.?
I want to switch to abj and request emergency there that's why I'm asking pls. Lagos has ghosted me for abt 2 weeks now.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bank450(m): 8:51pm On Jun 25, 2021
I sent you a DM, Please reply. Thank you

Ibukun0910:
Lagos Interview
Appointment 7:30am
Date: 27th May 2021
US Student Visa Approved under 4mins

God showed up for me and I decided to post my interview transcript to encourage others who are applying in the next few weeks.
No Funding and COA is $51k
VO: Good Morning
Me: Good Morning
VO: Can I have your I-20
Me: Passed him my passport and I-20
VO: How do you intend to fund your studies. I can see here that your total cost is $51k
Me: My Dad is sponsoring me. However, he has made the funds available in my account few months ago when I started processing my I-20.
VO: what does your Dad do?
Me: He owns a Logistic, Haulage and Transport Business
Vo: Wow. Transportation? So how can he afford that kind of money?
Me: Well, it is not just a regular transport business. His company moves commercial goods for manufacturing companies from one state to the other.
VO: So did you apply to other schools?
Me: Yes. I applied to 2 other schools. University of Connecticut and Framingham State University in Massachusetts
VO: Do you have siblings?
Me: Yes. I have 2 siblings.
VO: what do they do?
Me: One is an accountant and the other is an Architect.
VO: what is your position
Me; I am the last born.
VO: So where do you live now.
Me: I still live with my parents (smiles)
VO: Pulls out white paper
Me: I stopped listening…………………………I didn’t know how I got to the car park to meet my sister.

That is my story………my $51k COA is relatively high, and I didn’t have any funding, Yet the VO didn’t even ask for my bank statement.
I wish everyone the best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hallelujahvoice: 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
HanjeeLamar:
My Transcript

Please have it back.

Hearty congratulations. Wish you a safe trip

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by IvannahG: 9:48pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hello house, a very blessed & Good evening to all. Currently doing mock preparation for my visa interview and I have a question please. I’m applying for F1 visa for a masters degree and my older brother in the U.s will be my sponsor. No GA & no scholarship. He also just became a US citizen after a number of years living there. They would ask what he does & when I tell them is there any need to say he just became a citizen or do I not say that. will it look bad? As though I had someone that went & didn’t return. Basically I just want to know if saying my brother in the U.S is my sponsor would impact my visa decision?

Looking forward to receiving some advice and I pray that God blesses everyone on this thread with unbelievable testimonies. Amen.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Magma012: 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2021
Can someone suggest schools in the USA that offers geologic related courses for masters./ I would like to link up with related people of this field as well.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Abbiemills: 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hi good evening.

Please I need help as regards booking an appointment for interview, is there anyone that can help?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hybeesalau: 11:22pm On Jun 25, 2021
Yes. I can still use it, its 2 schedules allowed person receipt. So I can cell Lagos and book abuja. But I'll fill another ds160. I just want RL be sure I'll get a response for the emergency for abuja b4 canceling the date I have in Lagos right now

omokennyoguns20:
From what I noticed on this trend, I think people are getting a reply from Abuja. But, will you still be able to use the same receipt? I'm not sure u can o.
Pls confirm before you switch o.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hallelujahvoice: 11:28pm On Jun 25, 2021
Abbiemills:
Hi good evening.

Please I need help as regards booking an appointment for interview, is there anyone that can help?

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Greenman2020(m): 11:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hybeesalau:

I will advise you not to try it. My emergency appointment got approved in Abuja for today but I couldn't book the date. I called the embassy since the beginning of the week and I was told that appointments are on first come first serve basis. I think you should be patient. Earlier dates will come up soon in both Lagos and Abuja, I believe. Cheers �

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Linccoln(m): 12:04am On Jun 26, 2021
Hello guys,

Is anyone here schooling in Morgan State University Maryland or applied there and has secured GA? I had a zoom interview with a professor in April and he got back to me in May that I've been recommended for a TA position, however I haven't gotten the GA mail and the class starts 23rd August. What do you suggest I do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Adaigbonile1: 12:20am On Jun 26, 2021
MY TRANSCRIPT
Date: 25-06-2021
Venue/Time: Abuja, 8.30am
Merit Scholarship: $26,000
Deficit of $50,000
School: Syracuse University College of Law (SUCOL) New York.

V.O: Good morn(with a warm smile on her face), can I have your passport and i20.
Me: Good morn(I gave her passport and i20)

V.O: I see you're going to SUCOL for your LL.M

V.O: which area of law will you specialise
Me: International Environment law and International Human Rights Law

V.O: I see you have a scholarship of $26,000 and deficit of 50,000. Who's paying for the deficit ?
Me: Mr XYZ, my guardian
V.O What do you mean by your guardian, is he your uncle or cousin or immediate family, does he live in Nigeria, what does he do?
Me: No, he's someone from my community who has shown great interest in my education from time immemorial, even during my undergrad days when my mother died. (She nodded). He lives in Nigeria. He's an established business man that deals in automobiles, auto transport and logistics business. I have been under his retainership as the legal representative of his company since after my call to bar. He's also into properties and real estate. As his legal rep, I always conduct due diligence in his real estate deals.

V.O: do you know anybody in the U.S
Me: Yes, I know Mr ABC. (Note: I filled mr Abc in my DS160 as my contact person upon arrival)

V.O: what's your relationship with him, is he your uncle or cousin
Me: he's a distant relative

VO: what do you mean by that
Me: he's not my immediate family. I met him on facebook and I got to know he's from my hometown and I made arrangement for him to pick me up upon arrival and take me to SUCOL where I'll meet my DSO for documentation..( note, at this point I was almost loosing focus, sweating and stuttering. Anyways, VO nodded after I laboured to give this answer)

V.O: What do you do currently?
Me: I work in Xyzzz law firm as an Associate

V.O: how many years practice experience
Me: 6 years

V.O: what are your duties
Me: Litigation generally, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Legal representation of companies upon retainership, property and real estate

V.O: what aspect of litigation
Me: Civil litigation
VO: (looks suprised) you mean you represent clients in court from inception to judgment?
Me: yes ma

V.O: how many lawyers do you have in your firm
Me: 10 lawyers

V.O: what are your plans after studies in SUCOL, will you return to the firm or are you quitting?
Me: I'll definitely return

V.O (types for a while) I see you got this admission last year and deferred twice.
Me: yes ma'am, because of the pandemic last year.

V.O : I'm going to approve your visa. Take your i20, you'll need it at the POE and remember there are a lotta restrictions at the POE...blah blah blah

*During the interview I maintained close eye contact with her especially when she's not typing. I didn't memorize any answers, I made sure my confidence was intact.
Anyway, I struggled a lot to hear her cos she was speaking very fast, so in two occasions I told her to repeat the question. She was quite patient with me.
One thing is, you can't lie to them and get away with it easily, so make sure you stick with whatever you filled in your Ds160. They like to hear that you have work experience too. That was my biggest selling point. She didn't ask me about sponsor's bank statement nor any other documents. I also want to believe that they don't like hearing "uncle or cousin". The reason she emphasized on it in two of my questions.
Note: this whole questions and answers happened under 3-4mins. I also noticed many F1 students were granted visa that day.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ehizy007: 12:31am On Jun 26, 2021
Congratulations.
Adaigbonile1:
MY TRANSCRIPT
Deficit of $50,000

V.O: Good morn(with a warm smile on her face), can I have your passport and i20.

V.O: I see you have a scholarship of $26,000 and deficit of 50,000. Who's paying for the deficit ?
V.O What do you mean by your guardian, is he your uncle or cousin or immediate family, does he live in Nigeria, what does he do?
Me: No, he's someone from my community who has shown great interest in my education from time immemorial, even during my undergrad days when my mother died. (She nodded). He lives in Nigeria. He's an established business man that deals in automobiles, auto transport and logistics business. I have been under his retainership as the legal representative of his company since after my call to bar. He's also into properties and real estate. As his legal rep, I always conduct due diligence in his real estate deals.

Me: Yes, I know Mr ABC. (Note: I filled mr Abc in my DS160 as my contact person upon arrival)

Me: he's not my immediate family. I met him on facebook and I got to know he's from my hometown and I made arrangement for him to pick me up upon arrival and take me to SUCOL where I'll meet my DSO for documentation..( note, at this point I was almost loosing focus, sweating and stuttering. Anyways, VO nodded after I laboured to give this answer)

Me: Litigation generally, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Legal representation of companies upon retainership, property and real estate

VO: (looks suprised) you mean you represent clients in court from inception to judgment?

V.O: what are your plans after studies in SUCOL, will you return to the firm or are you quitting?

V.O (types for a while) I see you got this admission last year and deferred twice.

V.O : I'm going to approve your visa. Take your i20, you'll need it at the POE and remember there are a lotta restrictions at the POE...blah blah blah

*During the interview I maintained close eye contact with her especially when she's not typing. I didn't memorize any answers, I made sure my confidence was intact.
Anyway, I struggled a lot to hear her cos she was speaking very fast, so in two occasions I told her to repeat the question. She was quite patient with me.
One thing is, you can't lie to them and get away with it easily, so make sure you stick with whatever you filled in your Ds160. They like to hear that you have work experience too. That was my biggest selling point. She didn't ask me about sponsor's bank statement nor any other documents. I also want to believe that they don't like hearing "uncle or cousin". The reason she emphasized on it in two of my questions.
Note: this whole questions and answers happened under 3-4mins. I also noticed many F1 students were granted visa that day.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Crane1: 1:12am On Jun 26, 2021
Hello house, is medical exam important before going for the VISA interview, interviewing on Monday and the medical exam not yet done.

I need your response please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ehizy007: 1:56am On Jun 26, 2021
NO
Crane1:
Hello house, is medical exam important before going for the VISA interview, interviewing on Monday and the medical exam not yet done.

I need your response please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jojoey: 4:22am On Jun 26, 2021
Adaigbonile1:
MY TRANSCRIPT
Deficit of $50,000

Congrats dear! How did she know you got the admission and deferred twice ?

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Abbiemills: 6:02am On Jun 26, 2021

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jerry8243(m): 6:17am On Jun 26, 2021
Congratulations!!!!!!
Plan, what does she mean by lots of restrictions at the POE?
Adaigbonile1:
MY TRANSCRIPT
Deficit of $50,000

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.