Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1642742 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Stevenssen(m): 3:08am On Mar 04, 2021
Nasachuky:
University of Mississippi is requesting for my official transcript to determine eligibility, they claim that they don't accept uploaded transcript (student's copy). Please how realistic is this? Does anyone have similar experience?
It's a PhD application and I should be sending 3 transcripts from different Nigerian University

horlahsunbo225:

Avoid those uni that need official transcript for admission review. (What if they no give person admission, money don waste be that)
Nothing wrong with that, some schools ask for official during application stage. If she has the resources and wants to apply there, she can go for it.
Who knows, it might be that school that gives you funding...

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 5:44am On Mar 04, 2021
Joclins:
Hello guys, does that mean I'm eligible to get FAFSA financial aid through the school?

I thought FAFSA is meant for domestic students only.

Lol...are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident? If you are neither of these, don't even bother applying.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nasachuky(f): 7:24am On Mar 04, 2021
kastgeraldino:
You clearly aren't familiar with American schools, else you won't be asking about SMU, a prestigious university. Mind you that for many schools, applying without GRE or GMAT makes you ineligible for scholarships and merit-based funding.

for real shocked
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 7:47am On Mar 04, 2021
Please can we all contribute to this please I think someone had something similar to this last two years on this thread , I received my i-20 for the fall semester yesterday and this was what I was seeing in the i-20, at the left hand side tuition fees and living expenses altogether is $22,300 , at the right hand side of the i-20 students funding for 9 months, personal funds $0 , funds coming from the school $0, Father $55,000 because father was used as the sponsor. This actually means that the school calculated the SOA of my father and then put $55,000 there, please aren't you seeing this as a problem and that this might confuse the VO, since the amount in both sides are different? Please anyone with similar experience or that have idea of what I am talking about can contribute. Oga @fairheart and Co please what is your take on this. Screenshot photo below to see what I'm saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:25am On Mar 04, 2021
osadestiny:
Please can we all contribute to this please I think someone had something similar to this last two years on this thread , I received my i-20 for the fall semester yesterday and this was what I was seeing in the i-20, at the left hand side tuition fees and living expenses altogether is $22,300 , at the right hand side of the i-20 students funding for 9 months, personal funds $0 , funds coming from the school $0, Father $55,000 because father was used as the sponsor. This actually means that the school calculated the SOA of my father and then put $55,000 there, please aren't you seeing this as a problem and that this might confuse the VO, since the amount in both sides are different? Please anyone with similar experience or that have idea of what I am talking about can contribute. Oga @fairheart and Co please what is your take on this. Screenshot photo below to see what I'm saying.
To me I don't see it as a problem, school policies are varies.
Some schools take only the part of tuition and living expenses while other take everything in the SOA.
What the VO will look at is the tuition and living expenses then check ur SOA, to know maybe you can cater for yourself or not
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Chonco: 8:49am On Mar 04, 2021
osadestiny:

You're the one who made it to be so.
The normal fee is $22,300 and what you filled on your Certification of finance is what the school is using now.
Check very well.

You filled something like, "How much will your sponsor provide annually"? - that's what you're seeing there.

No school will automatically fill in what you have on your bank statement without your consent.

You shouldn't worry yourself as long as you have that 55k+ statement of account during your interview.
It shouldn't be anything less than that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 9:05am On Mar 04, 2021
osadestiny:

Well, I believe it will not confuse the VO. The money documented in the sponsor section is the total amount in your sponsor statement, I believe?
This is not a problem, provided the amount on the statement you will take to the US embassy will still be this high, or close to it.
However, you can contact the school and tell them to only indicate what sponsor is expected to provide towards your studies. I have seen this case before and we did was that, school was contacted to put exactly what's required from sponsor on the sponsor section, instead of the entire amount in the account. The reason I suggested this was that, sponsor account balance was not always stable. Supposed the amount in the statement to be taken to embassy dropped by $20K due to business or investment and the VO at the embassy calculated it and compare with what is on the i-20, it may be a problem (this will depend on the VO you meet). Of course, your sponsor must have money greater than the cost of attendance by the time you appear for the interview, but do contact your school and ask if they can adjust. If they say no, then it is fine.
All the best!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 9:15am On Mar 04, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

To me I don't see it as a problem, school policies are varies.
Some schools take only the part of tuition and living expenses while other take everything in the SOA.
What the VO will look at is the tuition and living expenses then check ur SOA, to know maybe you can cater for yourself or not

Nobody knows if may be the SOA could change before then, so I will just have to contact them to change it for me.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 9:19am On Mar 04, 2021
Chonco:

You're the one who made it to be so.
The normal fee is $22,300 and what you filled on your Certification of finance is what the school is using now.
Check very well.

You filled something like, "How much will your sponsor provide annually"? - that's what you're seeing there.

No school will automatically fill in what you have on your bank statement without your consent.

You shouldn't worry yourself as long as you have that 55k+ statement of account during your interview.
It shouldn't be anything less than that.

Sorry I was not the one who filled that, what actually happened is that the school calculated the balance in the SOA and then they put the amount there, assuming my SOA was $30,000 that's the same amount they will still put there. To avoid unnecessary explanations during the visa interview I just feel I am going to tell the school to change the amount to the one I am suppose to send for 1 year, I think that is going to help a lot.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by customised87: 9:20am On Mar 04, 2021
Please when schools say that you must have a G.P.A of 3.0 from your undergraduate programmer, how is it calculated? Because it’s CGPA most Nigerian schools use
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 9:24am On Mar 04, 2021
fairheart:

Well, I believe it will not confuse the VO. The money documented in the sponsor section is the total amount in your sponsor statement, I believe?
This is not a problem, provided the amount on the statement you will take to the US embassy will still be this high, or close to it.
However, you can contact the school and tell them to !

That's true because I know some VO would not even have the time to ask you questions about that, they will just conclude immediately that you are suppose to show that SOA that is indicated in your i-20, so I will be contacting the school to tell them, I know it is not a problem for them to resolve because the student have the right to tell the school whosoever will sponsor the studies and how much the sponsor is suppose to use. Thank you all for your replies.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 9:42am On Mar 04, 2021
osadestiny:

Nobody knows if may be the SOA could change before then, so I will just have to contact them to change it for me.
As far as the balance is not less than the COA, you're fine.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 9:45am On Mar 04, 2021
customised87:
Please when schools say that you must have a G.P.A of 3.0 from your undergraduate programmer, how is it calculated? Because it’s CGPA most Nigerian schools use
Drop your Nigeria CGPA
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Chonco: 10:00am On Mar 04, 2021
osadestiny:

Sorry I was not the one who filled that, what actually happened is that the school calculated the balance in the SOA and then they put the amount there assuming my SOA was $30,000 that's the same amount they will still put there. To avoid unnecessary explanations during the visa interview I just feel I am going to tell the school to change the amount to the one I am suppose to send for 1 year, I think that is going to help a lot.

At the bolded: The school cannot just work with the amount on SOA without having your consent.
The person that filled the form for you was the one that stated the whole amount on your Certification of finance form, so stop saying your school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mrkevwee(m): 10:05am On Mar 04, 2021
damtan:

I also applied to WIU and I didn't pay any application fee. I applied in January, got admission in February with little funding

Hello, good Morning,.
I also want to apply to WIU, can u walk me through the application process and how u did it without paying?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 04, 2021
Chonco:

At the bolded: The school cannot just work with the amount on SOA without having your consent.
The person that filled the form for you was the one that stated the whole amount on your Certification of finance form, so stop saying your school

Guy, drop this argument. The school can decide to use the whole amount in the SOA. I know of someone whose COA was $51k. Funding from school was filled as $20k, personal fund $10k and sponsor was $21k. The SOA sent for personal funds had $15k and sponsor had $25k, instead of the school to use what was filled, they use the available balance in the SOA.

Sometimes they go by their own volition.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by customised87: 10:50am On Mar 04, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

Drop your Nigeria CGPA

3.47 out of 5
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Uriel12: 10:51am On Mar 04, 2021
Good morning NL.
I'm an undergraduate student, and I currently got admission to BGSU.
Waiting for my I-20.

How long will it take the school to verify the bank statement and everything before they send the I-20?

Date don dey finish cry cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by customised87: 10:53am On Mar 04, 2021
damtan:

I also applied to WIU and I didn't pay any application fee. I applied in January, got admission in February with little funding

Please I sent you a PM. Kindly respond. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 10:58am On Mar 04, 2021
Chonco:

But sorry why are you still concluding that I was the one who gave them the amount after confirming to you that the school didn't ask me to fill any certification of the amount that my sponsor is going to use for the studies. They converted the SOA I sent them to dollars and then they put that amount there. I was the one who did all the processing so I know what I am saying sir.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by damtan(m): 11:32am On Mar 04, 2021
customised87:

Please I sent you a PM. Kindly respond. Thank you
I have
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by damtan(m): 11:33am On Mar 04, 2021
mrkevwee:

Hello, good Morning,.
I also want to apply to WIU, can u walk me through the application process and how u did it without paying?
When I applied, there was a waiver. I'm not sure if there's application fee payment at the moment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by obajoey(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2021
There is still a waiver closing tomorrow.
damtan:

When I applied, there was a waiver. I'm not sure if there's application fee payment at the moment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by obajoey(m): 11:38am On Mar 04, 2021
Waiting for them too o. Masters Analytics.

Uriel12:
Good morning NL.
I'm an undergraduate student, and I currently got admission to BGSU.
Waiting for my I-20.

How long will it take the school to verify the bank statement and everything before they send the I-20?

Date don dey finish cry cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by damtan(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2021
obajoey:
There is still a waiver closing tomorrow.
Mrkevwee, I hope you see this
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 11:58am On Mar 04, 2021
customised87:

3.47 out of 5
That will be around 3.1+/4

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Daodudavid(m): 12:51pm On Mar 04, 2021
dm me
Kayleex:
Please who can help me with a mock interview. I have a date slated next month. Help please �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by degxyflexy: 2:14pm On Mar 04, 2021
Please how about CGPA of 3.80/5 or 4.21/5
horlahsunbo225:

That will be around 3.1+/4
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 2:26pm On Mar 04, 2021
degxyflexy:
Please how about CGPA of 3.80/5 or 4.21/5
3.8 will be around 3.2 or 3.3
4.21 will be around 3.56
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Denuga91: 3:16pm On Mar 04, 2021
Guys here is my proposed transcript.
University: Illinois State University
Program: Msc Hydrogeology
Tuition & Fees $17000
Living Expense: $8000

V.O: Where are you going to in the US?.

ME: I'm going to Illinois State University for my Masters in Hydrogeology.

V.O: Why Hydrogeology?

ME: About 40% of groundwater is conterminated with radioactive materials. This program will expose me to latest scientific techniques that are deployed in ground water treatment which we don't have in Nigeria as we speak; a good example is Granulated Activated Carbon treatment, so as to make groundwater safe for whatever use. Especially in bottling companies like Nigerian breweries coca-cola etc.

V.O: How many schools do you apply to?

ME: 3

VO: Name them

ME : Illinois State University, Oklahoma State University and University of Arkansas.

V.O: Why did you go for ISU?

ME: There are actually 2 reasons.
Firstly, the just concluded research work by Dr Peterson got my attention. He worked on Radon Concentration in Groundwater, and this is what I'm working on as a research assistant.
Secondly, from the three schools, it is only ISU that has a research lab that is designed exclusively for the purpose of research in Random Conc in groundwater.
V.O: What's your study plan
ME: I'll be taking a 32 credit hour class within 24 months, a few of my class includes, Engineering geology, Geochemistry. Micropalaeontology amongst others. I'll also be going for field trips and field mappings.
VO: What did you study in your undergraduate?
ME: I studied applied Geology, I graduated 2018 September.
VO:What have you been doing after that?
ME: I started working as a research assistant under my supervisor Dr Afolabi for 4months, then I went for my mandatory one year youth service. After that, I returned to my supervisor and continued working as a research assistant.
V.O: What is your research about?
ME: It's on Radon Concert in Groundwater. I carry out alkaline and ph analyisis on samples of groundwater collected in airtight plastic bottles, I also probe for random concentration in them using a machine called Rad7. I also review and write journals for my Supervisor, currently we are planning to write a journal together. It would be great to be a coauthor.
V.O: what will this program do for you?
ME: firstly it will improve the quality of my research when I'm back to Nigeria, especially the geochemical composition of radon and geospatial distribution of groundwater. I also want to have my own groundwater treatment plant, I'm looking at partnering with Nigerian breweries to help purify their water from radioactive elements before production.
V.O: Who is footing these bills.
ME: My maternal uncle.
V.O:What does he do?
ME: He is a retired lawyer and he currently run a real estate business.
VO: Why is he sponsoring you?
ME: He has been my father figure since I lost my dad in 2019.
V.O: I'll be approving your visa.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tulacious123: 3:47pm On Mar 04, 2021
Stevenssen:

Nothing wrong with that, some schools ask for official during application stage. If she has the resources and wants to apply there, she can go for it.
Who knows, it might be that school that gives you funding...

Pennsylvania State University requested for my official transcript ,English proficiency letter stating that my undergraduate courses were taught using English,alongside original copy of my degree certificate to be sent by the registrar of my school.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pennstate(m): 3:53pm On Mar 04, 2021
Denuga91:
Guys here is my proposed transcript.
University: Illinois State University
Program: Msc Hydrogeology
Tuition & Fees $17000
Living Expense: $8000

V.O: Where are you going to in the US?.

ME: I'm going to Illinois State University for my Masters in Hydrogeology.

V.O: Why Hydrogeology?

ME: About 40% of groundwater is conterminated with radioactive materials. This program will expose me to latest scientific techniques that are deployed in ground water treatment which we don't have in Nigeria as we speak; a good example is Granulated Activated Carbon treatment, so as to make groundwater safe for whatever use. Especially in bottling companies like Nigerian breweries coca-cola etc.

V.O: How many schools do you apply to?

ME: 3

VO: Name them

ME : Illinois State University, Oklahoma State University and University of Arkansas.

V.O: Why did you go for ISU?

ME: There are actually 2 reasons.
Firstly, the just concluded research work by Dr Peterson got my attention. He worked on Radon Concentration in Groundwater, and this is what I'm working on as a research assistant.
Secondly, from the three schools, it is only ISU that has a research lab that is designed exclusively for the purpose of research in Random Conc in groundwater.
V.O: What's your study plan
ME: I'll be taking a 32 credit hour class within 24 months, a few of my class includes, Engineering geology, Geochemistry. Micropalaeontology amongst others. I'll also be going for field trips and field mappings.
VO: What did you study in your undergraduate?
ME: I studied applied Geology, I graduated 2018 September.
VO:What have you been doing after that?
ME: I started working as a research assistant under my supervisor Dr Afolabi for 4months, then I went for my mandatory one year youth service. After that, I returned to my supervisor and continued working as a research assistant.
V.O: What is your research about?
ME: It's on Radon Concert in Groundwater. I carry out alkaline and ph analyisis on samples of groundwater collected in airtight plastic bottles, I also probe for random concentration in them using a machine called Rad7. I also review and write journals for my Supervisor, currently we are planning to write a journal together. It would be great to be a coauthor.
V.O: what will this program do for you?
ME: firstly it will improve the quality of my research when I'm back to Nigeria, especially the geochemical composition of radon and geospatial distribution of groundwater. I also want to have my own groundwater treatment plant, I'm looking at partnering with Nigerian breweries to help purify their water from radioactive elements before production.
V.O: Who is footing these bills.
ME: My maternal uncle.
V.O:What does he do?
ME: He is a retired lawyer and he currently run a real estate business.
VO: Why is he sponsoring you?
ME: He has been my father figure since I lost my dad in 2019.
V.O: I'll be approving your visa.

What will the program do for you?
The program will provide me with the skills needed to have a successful career as a Hydrogeologist, specifically in the areas of contaminant hydrogeology/groundwater geochemistry. I intend to establish a/my consulting firm (Groundwater Treatment Plant) to provide consulting services to the Nigerian Breweries to help purify their water from radioactive elements before production. As well as State and Federal Ministry of Environment, in the remediation of polluted sites.

I ll be taking courses such as Aquifer Systems, Introduction to Groundwater Modelling, Hydrology, Aqueous Geochemistry.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.