Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,907 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (671) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1645367 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hazardd(m): 6:12am On Dec 22, 2021
Badguy001:

Ah! Ah!! Ah!!! Na massacre o! Them knack me regret mail too! Lmao! Smh! Abuja is the goal now!
is there any school you know that accept HND lower credit
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Kiiishiii: 6:45am On Dec 22, 2021
Samuel5555:
My today Visa transcript:
3rd Attempt
Abuja:bald headed guy
Major: Masters Mechanical Engineering
$8000 plus Instate tuition waiver
Vo pass me your documents. Have you travel out of Nigeria before?
Me: No I have not had any reason to do so
Vo: where do you work?
Me: I work as a technical Maintenance personal with zenith Bank PLC and we are into day to day maintenance of power plant and configuration of point of sale machine. Now a new department has been set up which is to provide solution to mechanical complex problem and upon the completion of this program I intend to come back to take up a material role in this new department.
Vo you where denied before what's has changed?
Me: last tym I was going to university of Arkansas at Little Rock and now i am Going to Lamar University and because of the dean's scholarship of 8k$ and an Instate tuition waiver that was given to me my dad will be d one to sponsor me and I was equally able to save 3k$ for this program.
Vo : brought out blue paper

Please someone should help me out what might have gone wrong. Possibly the best answer to what's has changed.

I think the problem might be instate tuition waiver. How did you get the tuition waiver? Who is a resident of that state that made you get the tuition waiver? Again you make it sound like you went for the school cause you didn’t have the money to fund yourself.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 22, 2021
Thank you for stating the facts in a detailed manner. Truth is, I would need all the help I can get at this time, I would love a sample of the letter you described. After seeing the 304 score, even if I felt it wasn't that high, a little voice kept telling me it would be enough to push me through. Once again, thanks for the detailed reply.

I just sent you a pm.
Timotte:

Apply with the 304 score. Your GRE isn't the only thing that is assessed on your application. You have a good GPA. What you need is to get very strong recommendation letters (not the typical ones written by most lecturers). The recommendation letters should be personal and give examples of attributes that are stated in the letter. I can send you a sample of a strong engineering recommendation letter if you need one. Additional, have a well written personal statement that clearly outlines your research interest(s). If you have any publication, it can further strengthen your application. But if you don't have any, it wouldn't harm you either. I have a friend who had a WES evaluated GPA of 3.11 and a GRE score of 294 who got admitted to the chemical engineering masters program at the University of North Dakota with full tuition waiver and a graduate research assistantship for Spring 2022 (he got his visa yesterday). He had very strong recommendation letters and a well written personal statement that strengthened his application.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by accessclem: 6:54am On Dec 22, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Kalazclint(m): 6:58am On Dec 22, 2021
Your GRE score is very ok, I had 303 and I still got admission and GA and same with my friend. You just need to search for schools. I think anything above 300 is good. Most schools look at your CGP, SOP and recommendations before even considering GRE.

illumined999333:
So I wrote the Gre on December 6, 2021 and I scored 299. After seeing the score, I knew I was going to write another one before the year ends. I had just 2 weeks to improve on that score to atleast 310, as one of the schools I wanted to apply to ( North Dakota state University) requires a minimum Gre score of 310. I wrote yesterday, but I scored 304. It is clearly not the score I wanted, but I'm mentally fatigued to study further for the Gre.

I'm looking at using the 304 score, I'd like to see opinions about my chances of admission and possible funding.

Intended course : Industrial Engineering
Wes evaluated GPA : 3.47/4.00
GRE score : 304

I've been a follower of various us. visa student threads since 2017, and I know a predstan who scored 303 in Gre, but still got admission and teaching assistantship.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ibcircuit: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2021
Kiiishiii:

I think the problem might be instate tuition waiver. How did you get the tuition waiver? Who is a resident of that state that made you get the tuition waiver? Again you make it sound like you went for the school cause you didn’t have the money to fund yourself.

That is true , the overall presentation seems to be that he does not have enough fund to sponsor himself , He should have said he chosed lamar university because the school curriculum is flexible and suitable for his liking

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Olaniyi55: 8:53am On Dec 22, 2021
He doesn't have anything to do with the CGI portal anymore. Let him/her print the mail details and the update ds160.
Please may I know when he applied and when he got the response because I also applied for the surge and I am yet to receive response from them.
talk2dekky:
Please quick question for a friend, he is not on Nairaland. He got a surge appointment for Lagos for January. But his appointment on CGI portal still shows November 2022. He recently corrected his DS160 and updated on the portal but the new Ds160 confirmation and appointment on portal still shows November. Will that reflect on his new appointment for January. Note that he only got an email confirmation of the January appointment. Is it ok if he just goes with the New DS160 in January?

Thanks everyone.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nanthediverse: 8:56am On Dec 22, 2021
Kiiishiii:

Exactly,
He would have stated one or two reasons why he was denied previously and how he was able to fix it this time. But he dint.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Chairperson: 8:56am On Dec 22, 2021
My husband had this same issue. He called support-nigeria countless times to fix the problem but they all told him he has to pay fresh MRV fee. As soon as he did he was able to switch to Abuja

cupcakes11:
Please I'm in a fix, I'm trying to change location to Abuja. I filled a new ds160 then updated same on cgi pprtal and proceeded to reschedule my appointment but the challenge I'm having is that i didn't cancel before rescheduling so it's still showing Lagos as my location for my new appointment. Any idea how i can resolve this issue because if i now decide to cancel the new appointment then i will have to pay a new visa fee. Pls i would appreciate any response at all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nanthediverse: 8:59am On Dec 22, 2021
ibcircuit:

That is true , the overall presentation seems to be that he does not have enough fund to sponsor himself , He should have said he chosed lamar university because the school curriculum is flexible and suitable for his liking

But they dint ask him why he chose lamar.
The vo was expecting him to say 2 or 3 reasons why he was denied previously and how he was able to sort it this time.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Roy11: 9:37am On Dec 22, 2021
Please who has processed PTA at the bank recently on a one way ticket ?
Kindly DM
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Badguy001(m): 10:32am On Dec 22, 2021
dfutbolar:

After I did so. I got a request ID and sent a mail to the Abuja consular stating my request ID and asking for a follow up.

All last night and this morn got a mail that it was approved.

I rescheduled and dates available where from Jan 13.

I hope this helps someone.
I also pray I'd come back with a positive transcript to encourage others

I requested for Abuja and submitted yesterday after cancelling the Lagos that was denied. However, I logged on to the portal just now and I can't even see the emergency request feature or anything close nor is the "Reschedule" feature available. The only thing I see is the available Abuja July, 2022 appointment that I accepted before the emergency request submission. Is this typical?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by talk2dekky(f): 10:34am On Dec 22, 2021
Thank you, he applied December 3rd and got a reply 17th.

Olaniyi55:
He doesn't have anything to do with the CGI portal anymore. Let him/her print the mail details and the update ds160.
Please may I know when he applied and when he got the response because I also applied for the surge and I am yet to receive response from them.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Badguy001(m): 11:07am On Dec 22, 2021
ifedayosol:
Fill a new DS-160 form, choosing Abuja. save the new DS-160 application ID. sign in to ur CGIfederal portal, click update profile, erase the old DS-160 application ID and input the new one, then click on save/update. you would be transferred to Abuja ìmmediately. you can then start a new appointment schedule

I requested for Abuja and submitted yesterday after cancelling the Lagos that was denied. First off, I filled a new DS 160 for Abuja. However, I logged on to the portal just now and I can't even see the emergency request feature or anything close nor is the "Reschedule" feature available. The only thing I see is the available Abuja July, 2022 appointment that I accepted before the emergency appointment request. Is this typical?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bestlight: 11:18am On Dec 22, 2021
Good day everyone. Please I'm a Pharmacist, working with a community Pharmacy, I applied for Masters in Business Administration and was given admission. My aim is to open a community Pharmacy when I come back; that's the reason for the MBA. But I don't know convincing words to tell the VO during the interview. Interview date is 13th JANUARY.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SonugaMike: 11:57am On Dec 22, 2021
Badguy001:

I requested for Abuja and submitted yesterday after cancelling the Lagos that was denied. However, I logged on to the portal just now and I can't even see the emergency request feature or anything close nor is the "Reschedule" feature available. The only thing I see is the available Abuja July, 2022 appointment that I accepted before the emergency request submission. Is this typical?

Yes. Same thing here. I guess we don’t have access to that anymore. We have to pray they grant our appointment otherwise we may have to pay new application fee to gain another access
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Badguy001(m): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2021
SonugaMike:

Yes. Same thing here. I guess we don’t have access to that anymore. We have to pray they grant our appointment otherwise we may have to pay new application fee to gain another access

Ah! Ah!! Ah!!! Oh, that means our request can be viewed as having gone through, right? Omo, I don tire o! We all collectively own this Earth na! It shouldn't be this difficult to legitimately enter another country for further studies or whatever!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lokoventurex1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 22, 2021
Good day good people.

Please guys advice. I now have an admission for my graduate studies for Fall 2022. My I-20 form has also gotten to me and it reads August 22 as program starting day.

When is the best time to apply for visa ?

And do I go about it, from SEVIS fee payment, MRV and the rest ?

Help a brother bikonu...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nicolars(m): 12:35pm On Dec 22, 2021
Timotte:

Apply with the 304 score. Your GRE isn't the only thing that is assessed on your application. You have a good GPA. What you need is to get very strong recommendation letters (not the typical ones written by most lecturers). The recommendation letters should be personal and give examples of attributes that are stated in the letter. I can send you a sample of a strong engineering recommendation letter if you need one. Additional, have a well written personal statement that clearly outlines your research interest(s). If you have any publication, it can further strengthen your application. But if you don't have any, it wouldn't harm you either. I have a friend who had a WES evaluated GPA of 3.11 and a GRE score of 294 who got admitted to the chemical engineering masters program at the University of North Dakota with full tuition waiver and a graduate research assistantship for Spring 2022 (he got his visa yesterday). He had very strong recommendation letters and a well written personal statement that strengthened his application.

Please can I mail you for the letter of recommendation sample ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mickel00(m): 12:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
Good day Everyone,

For a graduate of Business Administration who intend studying in the US, which is better for Masters in Finance; GMAT or GRE?
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Roy11: 12:41pm On Dec 22, 2021
illumined999333:
So I wrote the Gre on December 6, 2021 and I scored 299. After seeing the score, I knew I was going to write another one before the year ends. I had just 2 weeks to improve on that score to atleast 310, as one of the schools I wanted to apply to ( North Dakota state University) requires a minimum Gre score of 310. I wrote yesterday, but I scored 304. It is clearly not the score I wanted, but I'm mentally fatigued to study further for the Gre.

I'm looking at using the 304 score, I'd like to see opinions about my chances of admission and possible funding.

Intended course : Industrial Engineering
Wes evaluated GPA : 3.47/4.00
GRE score : 304

I've been a follower of various us. visa student threads since 2017, and I know a predstan who scored 303 in Gre, but still got admission and teaching assistantship.

I got 299 in GRE , had two admissions out of the three schools I applied to ...had one PhD admission and one MSc...mind you, I only have Bsc as my highest qualification. 3.24/4.0 on Wes evaluation.

With 299 ..you are good to go because most people don't even bother to write GRE again due to waiver here and there .

Wish you all the best !

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SaintBees(m): 1:22pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nicolars:

Please can I mail you for the letter of recommendation sample ?
abeg me self need recommendation letter format biko
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Chynwem: 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2021
Please Fam I need loan ���� my school is not on those loan firms, who can help me please. I'm meant to travel on 31st of this month and I have not booked my flight, I need all the help I can get please �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by StanUc(m): 2:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
Just like many others have stated earlier, my emergency appointment (EA) request with the consulate in Lagos was denied yesterday, although I submitted another EA for Abuja and have just been able to book a January date. All the best everyone.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Chynwem: 2:07pm On Dec 22, 2021
Kerimobigoody:

How do you plan to pay your tuition fee?
How much do you need and how do you plan to pay back?
I have funding. I just need 2M, I will be paying back monthly from Feb, once I start receiving my stipend.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SonugaMike: 2:08pm On Dec 22, 2021
StanUc:
Just like many others have stated earlier, my emergency appointment (EA) request with the consulate in Lagos was denied yesterday, although I submitted another EA for Abuja and have just been able to book a January date. All the best everyone.

You mean Abuja has granted your EA.
When did you apply and what documents and reason did you submit?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Trevon91: 2:11pm On Dec 22, 2021
StanUc:

Have you been denied before?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pamelayoung: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
Maggie44:
interview date : 20th dec 2021
COA : $37,262
NO FUNDING
NO standardized test
VO…White woman

VO: Pass Your Passport and i-20 Please
ME: here you go (passed it)
VO: which school are you going to?
ME: CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY Los Angeles for my master’s degree in curriculum and instruction with specialization in early childhood and primary education
VO: who is sponsoring you?
ME: my Dad mr …… He is a successful business man, he is into oil and gas. He has a gas stations in xxxxx state where I was born, he also supplies petroleum products to many northern state in Nigeria, he has an average number of 30 staffs in his line of operation. We have landed property and houses in niger and ikeja lagos. also My mum is an editor in a media house and along side her job she has a supermarket. They will be paying for my tuition and cost of living while I study in the usa. Also my employer will be giving me 25percent of my salary as stipend.
VO: you have sibling ?
ME: yes, my younger brother is currently doing his nysc he’s an architect and also into music.
My elder brother is an accountant, he’s married with a child
VO: Who are your employer
I am currently working as an assistant academic planning of the department of early childhood education at national open university of Nigerian.my responsibilities include ensuring effective day to day operations of the dept including developing and overseeing the curriculum, instruction and assessment programs of the dept. I started working with them in oct 2018 and I have spoken with my superiors about my intention to go for my master and they have approved a 24 months study leave for me with a 25pecent of my salary monthly VO Cut in….. but I was about to mention that after the master I will return to job and other bla bla stuff
VO what will you do after master?
upon my graduation I will return to apply and take up a senior position in my current place of work at the national open university of Nigeria.
Also alongside my job I shall be partnering with some ngo like unicef and USAID to combat early childhood education deficiency here in nigeria
Also I am a member of Nigerian educational research and development council (NERDC), this master will equip me with the skills and knowledge that I need in other to provide professional recommendation to the federal and state govt on issues bordering the early childhood education in Nigeria VO CUT IN… as I was about mentioning my last point, that is to establish a nursery/primary school of usa standard in Nigeria
VO : I see you travel to turkey
ME: yes I went for annual vacation early February this year.
VO.. The golden word… I will be approving ur visa

Tips
1. Be smart when filling your ds160.
2.. Be an active interviewee ... A lot of people got denied while i was waiting for my turn, because they were giving one word answers. Vo will now have to ask many questions just to get one information. No time the vo will just denied them straight.
3... Pray and practice hard
..........what worked for me,,........
1. I prayed mid nights prayers for 3months while I practice
2. I also spoke in American accent all through. After She collected my passport and i20 she didn't looked at me until she approved me. Her face was on the computer while she ask me questions, I was the one staring at her while she types and read somethings on her computer, so I was relax and everything I rehease was just flowing ( all the American movies wey I dey watch pay me Lol) it worked for me, I am not saying everyone must do the same
3. I was audible and confident
4. if u have been denied before, explain what happened briefly and how u think but that was not correct ( check footnote for more info)
Thanks to everyone who helped me, I am very grateful and thank you very much again...

.........Previouly denied.......
People always say us consulars are trained psychologists they will know when you are Lying ..here you too need to be you own psychologist o.. From ur interview u have to deduced why u were denied and then on ds160 you can briefly explain what happened there and why u think that is not true. Make it brief, so u can skip all those formal I was denied under session 214b stuff. After all everyone know say na 214b . so straight to the point with something like " during my interview I was nervous and I couldn't express myself when the consular asked about my bla bla bla or when the consular inquired about this or that I stuttered and gave a one word answer and so I was denied, but actually I was this or but actually I have this ( then start explaining how it is )
...things to note on this part while explaining why u were denied.. 1. Never blame the vo for misunderstanding you... Just see it like it your fault vo thinks you want to japa( I was denied by the Korean guy 1st attempt) 2. Make it short, but make sure the reason you think u were denied and how u think that's not correct is captured.. so to save space don't include the embassy where it happened or date because the current vo have that information.. Why I am saying this is because if its too long vo won't have time to read it all .. It could turn off the vo
3. Don't sound angry or rude
4.. From all the questions you were asked you have to find out at what point vo was not convinced with ur story and decided to denied you.
4. Make sure ur ds160 is very strong
Best of luck to everyone....
Gracias

Congratulations!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by StanUc(m): 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2021
SonugaMike:

You mean Abuja has granted your EA.
When did you apply and what documents and reason did you submit?
I applied yesterday evening and the EA got approved this afternoon.
Documents submitted: SEVIS receipt , MRV receipt, I-20, DS-160 confirmation page, Int'l Passport and late arrival letter.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by StanUc(m): 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2021
Not in the last 6 months
Trevon91:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SonugaMike: 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2021
Trevon91:

Denied EA in Lagos yesterday then I filled a new DS 160 and applied to Abuja. The regular date I got was June 30 2022. I thereafter applied for EA around 1 mid night but I haven’t heard from them and I am not seeing the option to reschedule or EA

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.