Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,702 members, 7,827,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? (1971 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Nigerians With Advanced Degrees But Without Jobs / CBN Offers Automatic Employment To Ebonyi First-Class Graduates Of Economics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by sacajawea: 10:57am On Jan 11, 2021
Is it really true that many 2:1 and First Class Graduates are without Jobs, like either Unemployed or Underemployed?
(EDIT)
We know the situation is bad, but is it that bad?
A person who finished with an above 4.0 CGPA has already average communication skills, comprehension and work adaptability still cannot get jobs. Even when he/she gets they are underpaid.
Someone told me that there are many first class graduates Without good jobs, is this also true?
PLs Let's discuss about this thing. I understand 2.2 and 3rd Class, but 2:1 and first class?

(Edit again)
Pls Note, I did not intend to mock anybody or make anybody feel bad, I only wanted to see the situation on Ground, well I am self employed and do not work for anybody, so may be a little bit detached from these things.

3 Likes

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by rtdCivilservant: 11:15am On Jan 11, 2021
Are u here to mock people or what?
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Angelamanda247: 11:17am On Jan 11, 2021
rtdCivilservant:
Are u here to mock people or what?
can you imagine
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by jamze: 11:44am On Jan 11, 2021
Go and discuss with the person that told you, nd don't come here n disturb our peace
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Thegracefulness: 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2021
Let me explain something.

In this country Nigeria, success as an Individual is relative, and also largely depends on several factors.

Don’t especially rely on available Jobs for survival. There are no jobs. The truth is we have a poor economy—albeit struggling, it is not up to par, as a sixty years old Oil-producing country should. And then every year, Universities produce over 600,000 graduates from the 174 Universities in Nigeria.

There are currently 189 Government Parstatals in Nigeria. With a few thousands of other Private Firms and Profit Organizations.

Out of these 600,000 graduates; 1500 are already sure of Federal and State Jobs in these Government Parastatals (because their parents head various positions in them); 3000 are hoping and relying on their relatives (connections) to place them on those Jobs; 2000 are relying on their first class grades to merit these jobs. It may sound absurd, but we all know this is true.

The competition is stiff.

The problem is the Government isn’t even helping to at least create a sane plain-leveled environment so that private businesses can thrive. There’s the issue of Insecurity, Bad roads, Poor electricity generation, Private-monopoly and preferential conditions to particular investors/Entrepreneurs (Bias), Lackluster Economic Policies, Poor Health Sector.

There’s several factors stunting the growth of businesses in this country, so that it sounds almost hypocritical when you even advice people to focus on Entrepreneurship. That’s the reality of an unplanned, improperly governed territory.

I tell you, currently, academic grades are not a “definite” factor of getting employed in Nigeria. Especially in Administrative capacities.

However, don’t get me wrong, a few businesses are thriving. But those are the few that know the onus, and understand the deck and foundation of Entrepreneurship. These are few individuals who have been able to master the demand chain and created an opportunity to be in charge of supply. Few of these such sectors are the newly-booming IT and Technology, Agriculture, and Real Estate—Agriculture especially. It’s a sector that has created job opportunities for Both 2.1 or 2.2 graduates. I know a first class graduate; Kassan, that has gone into full-scale rice milling, and he makes more than twenty-three million naira monthly.
So then again I would say it depends. The country is poor and unsupportive, but not to people who are determined against all odds.

Regardless, I’d advise anybody not to completely rely on the government. That’s the worst mistake you would make. Those men you see—most of them, a large number of them, only want to build profiles and amass influence for themselves. Chase your dreams like you are aware of impending doom, forget the satisfaction of a certificate.

I pray God helps like-minded individuals and bless them with Luck. We need luck in Nigeria, lots of it.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by China112(m): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2021
Well the truth is bitter.
There are many 2.1 and 2.2 who are well unemployed and underemployed.
Have you ever wondered why NYSC doesn't conduct open recruitment? That's because they know the situation in the country about graduates. So many graduates with different certification and still job hunting.

There is no shame in job hunting.

2 Likes

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by stalwart123(m): 5:54pm On Jan 11, 2021
grin

Op, I don't know what to call you.

Are you happy they didn't get a job or underemployed?

You want to be mocking them right?

This thread is useless if doesn't proffer a solution to the menace or to the people.
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Thegracefulness: 6:07pm On Jan 11, 2021
stalwart123:
grin

Op, I don't know what to call you.

Are you happy they didn't get a job or underemployed?

You want to be mocking them right?

This thread is useless if doesn't proffer a solution to the menace or to the people.

How did you and the previous Individuals that commented read this question and deduce mockery from it? I’m genuinely concerned.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Somebody asked a question, expecting to hear opinions to buttress a point, and you people have entered full-offence mode.

That’s the rot in Nigerian forums. You people pursue sane minds from engaging in deliberative issues.

7 Likes

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by ccffwx: 6:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
It is very true. A first class graduate wants to impart that knowledge to other people by getting a lecturing job in a university. However, this has proven almost impossible given the rot in recruitment at Nigeria's tertiary institutions. Reputable journalists should try investigate recruitment into Nigerian universities.

So what would he/she do in the interim? Start off a business (the Nigerian alternative) while the brain that can be put to use solving Nigeria's problem wastes away.

This is the reality of most first class graduates. It's not what they can do very well that they are currently doing. Some are doing what they are not productive at (another field) or plain jobless hoping for a better Nigeria. It sounds unbelievable but it's real.
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by stalwart123(m): 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2021
Maybe the way you put down your notes.

How would be asking this question as a Nigerian whether home or in diaspora.

Your question is as good as asking if eggs are fragile or asking if snow is white?

If you there's a point you want to find out say. This is not what ought to be discussed or asking for the authenticity. Everybody knows that,but do you have a solution?

You may have a plain mind,but what you wrote tends towards mockery.

Thegracefulness:

How did you and the previous Individuals that commented read this question and deduce mockery from it? I’m genuinely concerned.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Somebody asked a question, expecting to hear opinions to buttress a point, and you people have entered full-offence mode.

That’s the rot in Nigerian forums. You people pursue sane minds from engaging in deliberative issues.
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Thegracefulness: 6:25pm On Jan 11, 2021
stalwart123:
Maybe the way you put down your notes.

How would be asking this question as a Nigerian whether home or in diaspora.

Your question is as good as asking if eggs are fragile or asking if snow is white?

If you there's a point you want to find out say. This is not what ought to be discussed or asking for the authenticity. Everybody knows that,but do you have a solution?

Sad. From your reply, I now see that you jump on threads to comment without proper reading and apprehension.

Because if you did, you’d notice I am not the Original Poster, and I’m not the person asking the question.

3 Likes

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by stalwart123(m): 6:31pm On Jan 11, 2021
Thegracefulness:

Sad. From your reply, I now see that you jump on threads to comment without proper reading and apprehension.

Because if you did, you’d notice I am not the Original Poster, and I’m not the person asking the question.

Sadder, why are you quoting me?

Op has removed his comment. You're here fighting for what's not yours. Why won't I descend on you.
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by flokii: 7:46pm On Jan 11, 2021
That's the sad state in the country now.. even Medical doctors can't find jobs after spending close to a decade studying medicine. The labour minister shamelessly asked doctors to go into farming if they can't get job.

The system is saturated now with too many graduates some even up to PhD level. How I wish things could turn around for good in my dear country.

2 Likes

Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by seanwilliam(m): 9:34pm On Jan 11, 2021
una never see anything.. wait till 2023
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Greenback: 12:51am On Jan 12, 2021
flokii:
That's the sad state in the country now.. even Medical doctors can't find jobs after spending close to a decade studying medicine. The labour minister shamelessly asked doctors to go into farming if they can't get job.

The system is saturated now with too many graduates some even up to PhD level. How I wish things could turn around for good in my dear country.
Shattap and pay attention to enlightened people,nobody asked for the opinion of psy baba dropouts,thank you
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by sacajawea: 8:32am On Jan 12, 2021
flokii:

Hmmmn, exactly @Bolded
Thank you for your comment and bringing my mind back to that. Even MSc and some PhD holders are underemployed.
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Elsueno: 9:45am On Jan 12, 2021
Very true, a friend of mine graduated with first class & even got a schoolarship to a UK university for Msc, Came back with distinction. But several government recruitment no dey even show him face, mind you, he is very articulate, smart and tech savvy. He performs well in interviews( am sure of this, cause we had same interview together and honestly he beat me by far). But out of all the five of us that attended the interview, Na one oga picking get the Job, non of us where considered. The interesting thing, is that the oga pikin could not even answer a single question during D interview
grin
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by VTJN(m): 6:37am On Jan 13, 2021
sacajawea:
Is it really true that many 2:1 and First Class Graduates are without Jobs, like either Unemployed or Underemployed?
(EDIT)
We know the situation is bad, but is it that bad?
A person who finished with an above 4.0 CGPA has already average communication skills, comprehension and work adaptability still cannot get jobs. Even when he/she gets they are underpaid.
Someone told me that there are many first class graduates Without good jobs, is this also true?
PLs Let's discuss about this thing. I understand 2.2 and 3rd Class, but 2:1 and first class?

(Edit again)
Pls Note, I did not intend to mock anybody or make anybody feel bad, I only wanted to see the situation on Ground, well I am self employed and do not work for anybody, so may be a little bit detached from these things.
Yes, the person is absolutely right. I graduated with 2.1, 4.20CGPA. No job (broke and depressed)
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by sacajawea: 7:10am On Jan 13, 2021
VTJN:
Yes, the person is absolutely right. I graduated with 2.1, 4.20CGPA. No job (broke and depressed)
How long have you graduated Bro?
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by sacajawea: 7:11am On Jan 13, 2021
Elsueno:
Very true, a friend of mine graduated with first class & even got a schoolarship to a UK university for Msc, Came back with distinction. But several government recruitment no dey even show him face, mind you, he is very articulate, smart and tech savvy. He performs well in interviews( am sure of this, cause we had same interview together and honestly he beat me by far). But out of all the five of us that attended the interview, Na one oga picking get the Job, non of us where considered. The interesting thing, is that the oga pikin could not even answer a single question during D interview
grin
So How him dey take Survive now? Which work him dey do?
He seems quite smart and should maybe have a skill or Business on hand. Abi him people get money?
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Absquare20(m): 7:31am On Jan 13, 2021
though no jobs, but still I believe it depends on ur courses...
Medical doctor can easily survive this our country environment...
almost all medical courses

if I have opportunity I will go for medicine in my second degree...

if u no get person no go study yeye courses....cos even if u do and graduate with first class na still wash ooo...
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Thegracefulness: 7:50am On Jan 13, 2021
that’sercent
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by Elsueno: 11:45am On Jan 13, 2021
sacajawea:

So How him dey take Survive now? Which work him dey do?
He seems quite smart and should maybe have a skill or Business on hand. Abi him people get money?

He ain't really good at business, last we spoke, his old man bought a slot for him at a top government organization, Not cheap at all. D old man is very loaded
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by sacajawea: 11:54am On Jan 13, 2021
Elsueno:

He ain't really good at business, last we spoke, his old man bought a slot for him at a top government organization, Not cheap at all. D old man is very loaded
Wow!
Re: Is It True That There Are A Lot Of 2.1 And 1st Class Graduates Without Jobs? by VTJN(m): 9:32pm On Jan 14, 2021
sacajawea:

How long have you graduated Bro?

(1) (Reply)

I Got An Interview From This Company Below, Kindly Verify If It's Legit Or Not / Glo Final Interview / Huawei's Test/interview Hints Needed Very Urgently ! ! ! Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.