Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,202 members, 7,818,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It (3738 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode: Buhari Came To Steal, Kill & Destroy - FFK Replies Adesina / Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts Anthony Joshua For Prostrating Before Buhari / Ogun Governor, Abiodun Under Fire For Underrating Obasanjo Before Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by VictorUSA(m): 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2021
In a democratic nation, one person can not take decisions that will affect the country badly.But in nation that pretends to be a democracy like Nigeria, I can't blame any single person or one arm of gov'ment but to say that our collective failure as a nation and failing to realise our common sense of purpose is our problem.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by HeadShot: 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2021
wellmax:
Sincere Question:

Please I need a quick answer:
What were the things that were working well and adding value to the lives of Nigerians in Nigeria before President Buhari came to spoil them?

This must be a Yoruba Muslim...

But it's sad you can't see what's happening in Oyo and environs... As the herdsmen cause havoc on a once peaceful region....

1 Like

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 14, 2021
expert234:

You just confirmed that the Jonathan government dealt very well with Boko haram

I doubt any government in Nigeria has dealt well with Boko...

Boko was contained, not eliminated under GEJ. Same for Buhari.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 14, 2021
CodeTemplar:
So why haven't Buhari diversified the economy from this oil that's causing so much pain and apprehension?

Am I in government? Ask the APC led admin. Ask PDP too why they didn't diversify the economy from oil?

But on a more serious note....diversifying the economy means removing subsides on power and petrol, and also cutting off corruption, and raising taxes...which are hardly poltically popular.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by expert234: 1:35pm On Jan 14, 2021
Slackerpenguin2:

I doubt any government in Nigeria has dealt well with Boko...

Boko was contained, not eliminated under GEJ. Same for Buhari.

Would the elections have held if Boko haram wasn't defeated in those regions?
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:
During the time of Obasanjo, oil was much cheaper than it is now that Buhari is the president, yet things are far worse now.

Petrol is now nearly N170 per litre

Because we had the dollars to subsidize oil due to higher crude prices, and a reduced dollar need then

Electricity tariff is now more than double, what it was during the era of Obj and GEJ

Because power has been privatised , which was an idea of GEJ and Obasanjo...and implemented by GEJ. (And it wasn't a bad idea. Nigerian government cannot privide the money we need for better power supply)

A Bag of Rice is nearly triple the cost, now that Buhari is the president
Because we don't earn enough from oil.

In 2011, oil was at $110 per barrel. Today it is at $50...

This means no dollars to keep the value of the Naira higher...meaning the value of the naira is falling...hence the 'rise' in prices.

Banditry, Fulani herdsmen terrorism are now very rampant e.t.c

The judiciary is now a department of the executive.

Those happened under PDP. Kidnapping and herdsmen issues were just as bad. Buhari just lied his way into power pretending he would destroy the problems...he didn't.

Mediocrity and Nepotism all over the place. A fulani judge couldn't even make it past the low level ICC exams. ICC led by an Igbo justice. Can you imagine

You want more civil service jobs for your tribe...okay.

The thing is, Nigeria needs a leader who needs to do two things...remove subsides completely from petrol and power....and while we would be paying N350 per liter for fuel and N90 per Kwh...for power...the investment that would pour in would lead to more refineries, and more power stations and more jobs dierectly and indirectly, and more investment,meaning more money

This would have the effect of making things work better.

But because we prefer to have the government give us things....that's why we are where we are now.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2021
expert234:

Would the elections have held if Boko haram wasn't defeated in those regions?

No they won't.
Doesn't mean I am ready to accept GEJ or Buhari as good leaders....or support either PDP or APC.
And by your argument , Buhari has done a good job fighting Boko since elections held in Borno too under his regime...and everywhere else.
When I know both past and present haven't done much of anything
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nkemtreasure: 1:46pm On Jan 14, 2021
Op, from your defense, it seems you have made up your mind already.
1. We were not in recession. Don't use covid as an excuse because Nigeria is not the only country who had LOCKDOWN.
2. Rice was produced in Nigeria and fertilizer got to the farmers directly. Don't talk about importation because the price rice had already gone up to 18k from 8k before he closed the borders. There had already been a ban on importation. Despite the border closure, rice still came in like usual.
3. Roads were not this bad
4. Rail lines were working. Portharcort line was working well. Today, I don't remember the last time I SASE a train in PH.
5. Like you know, we didn't have the level of kidnapping in the nation.
6. A bag of garri was about 1500
7. Yam and tomatoes was so cheap
8. There was investors confidence.
9. Etc

1 Like

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 14, 2021
Problem i have with this thread is that it doesn't get down to the real reason why Nigeria has a bad economy

Instead we look and treat the symptoms rather than the disease.

1 Like

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by CodeTemplar: 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
phillthearab
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 14, 2021
Nkemtreasure:
Op, from your defense, it seems you have made up your mind already.
1. We were not in recession. Don't use covid as an excuse because Nigeria is not the only country who had LOCKDOWN.

Mostr countries the world over have had covid related recessions....

Plus we are in recession because the price of what we are selling is not at a level that can sustain us. If the oil price went up, it WILL make our economy 'better' but it won't make APC better.
2. Rice was produced in Nigeria and fertilizer got to the farmers directly. Don't talk about importation because the price rice had already gone up to 18k from 8k before he closed the borders. There had already been a ban on importation. Despite the border closure, rice still came in like usual

Rice has always been produced in Nigeria. The reason why we import is because we don't produce enough for our needs

Also, we have rising prices of rice because thanks to the falling oil prices since 2014, importers don't have enough dollars like they used to, and CBN has been hoarding dollars...so the cost of getting a dollar has gone up, thus cost of imports have gone up, thus cost of rice too.
3. Roads were not this bad

Nigerian roads have always been bad. Don't exagerate. (And no, Buhari is not doing well on roads)

4. Rail lines were working. Portharcort line was working well. Today, I don't remember the last time I SASE a train in PH.

Is it the half-joke rail renovation that PDP did that you are prasing? (aNYWAY, PDP did do Abuja-Kaduna, and started Lagois-Ibadan....which APC is contrtinuing with)
5. Like you know, we didn't have the level of kidnapping in the nation

True, and APC has done poorly on security.
6. A bag of garri was about 1500
7. Yam and tomatoes was so cheap
8. There was investors confidence.

Because between 2008-14 we had enough dollars to buffer the naira. As such, things were cheaper.If oil was high now, above $100, we would have had the same price level for garri now...because of a higher value of the naira.

1 Like

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Mariangeles(f): 1:57pm On Jan 14, 2021
VictorUSA:
How? speak with fact.

They speak for themselves mate.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by expert234: 2:01pm On Jan 14, 2021
Slackerpenguin2:

No they won't.
Doesn't mean I am ready to accept GEJ or Buhari as good leaders....or support either PDP or APC.
And by your argument , Buhari has done a good job fighting Boko since elections held in Borno too under his regime...and everywhere else.
When I know both past and present haven't done much of anything

Jonathan was bad in many areas. He didn't take action against Boko haram quickly because the likes of Buhari, Lai Mohammed et al were saying attack on Boko haram is attack on the north. And he didn't want to offend the north, thinking that they would vote for him.

It was close to election that he woke up to realise what he should have done. And even people in Borno can't deny that he rendered Boko haram useless in the few days before elections.

Be that as it may, Jonathan has many faults.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by History555: 2:07pm On Jan 14, 2021
Slackerpenguin2:

Mostr countries the world over have had covid related recessions....

Plus we are in recession because the price of what we are selling is not at a level that can sustain us. If the oil price went up, it WILL make our economy 'better' but it won't make APC better.

Rice has always been produced in Nigeria. The reason why we import is because we don't produce enough for our needs

Also, we have rising prices of rice because thanks to the falling oil prices since 2014, importers don't have enough dollars like they used to, and CBN has been hoarding dollars...so the cost of getting a dollar has gone up, thus cost of imports have gone up, thus cost of rice too.

Nigerian roads have always been bad. Don't exagerate. (And no, Buhari is not doing well on roads)

Is it the half-joke rail renovation that PDP did that you are prasing? (aNYWAY, PDP did do Abuja-Kaduna, and started Lagois-Ibadan....which APC is contrtinuing with)

True, and APC has done poorly on security.

Because between 2008-14 we had enough dollars to buffer the naira. As such, things were cheaper.If oil was high now, above $100, we would have had the same price level for garri now...because of a higher value of the naira.

Please Nigeria does not import garri, yam, raw tomato so don't even bring up issue of dollars. The number of farmers under siege is unprecedented
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 2:12pm On Jan 14, 2021
expert234:

That news is before the election.

Show me news that showed elections did not hold in those local governments. If not, shut up.

Calm down and learn simple comprehension.
Point of discussion here is the security situation in those areas.
No one is contesting the election did not hold, even though it is on record that several polling units had to be shut down.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 2:13pm On Jan 14, 2021
VictorUSA:
why don't u ask of the good things he did ? Some people just love to hate without reason.
You can start you own thread dude, e no hard
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2021
History555:

Please Nigeria does not import garri, yam, raw tomato so don't even bring up issue of dollars. The number of farmers under siege is unprecedented

1.The segment where i refered to importation was specifically referring to Rice.

2.As for yam, garri, raw tomato....the reason why prices are going up is because....we don't have enough dollars so to speak

How?

a)Ten years ago, the price of crude oil was above $100 per barrel, so we had the dollars to buffer the naira, thus the value of the naira was relatively higher, and as such prices of things were relatively 'cheaper'

Now, the naira has fallen due to falling dollar revenues, meaning that prices 'rise'

b) Also, because government can no longer subsidse fuel at the level it could ten years ago...due again to falling oil prices....the cost of fuel has gone up...which affects the cost of transporting yam, and so on, and even rice...

We have been here before. In 1979, a loaf of bread cost 50 kobo. Oil was sky high. N1=$1. Ten years ater, and seven years after oil prices crashed...a loaf of bread cost N5-10, if not more, and $1=N6-7 .

It does not make the current government better, because they haven't done anything about the real problem...which is our dependence on the price of crude....and before the 1973, our dependence on the price of agricu;tural; products.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2021
HeadShot:

This must be a Yoruba Muslim...

But it's sad you can't see what's happening in Oyo and environs... As the herdsmen cause havoc on a once peaceful region....

No intelligence at all. I asked a simple question, you are telling me stories. No wonder you fail examinations
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by expert234: 2:19pm On Jan 14, 2021
wellmax:

Calm down and learn simple comprehension.
Point of discussion here is the security situation in those areas.
No one is contesting the election did not hold, even though it is on record that several polling units had to be shut down.

And would elections have held if there was no free movement in those areas? U think you are the one who should check your comprehension capability.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2021
expert234:

And would elections have held if there was no free movement in those areas? U think you are the one who should check your comprehension capability.
Okay, going by your flawed logic, where was election suspended in 2019 because of security?
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by kutchs: 3:19pm On Jan 14, 2021
wellmax:

You know the first is not true right? BH was already claiming local government and bombing Abuja.

Rice rice rice... Lets talk about how much was imported pre 2015 and how much is imported now
Boko Haram was bombing just soft targets at Abuja like churches and the UN building. You may think that they stopped bombing Abuja because of what the FG has done. They simply changed tactics as they still possess the capability (even more) to bomb Aso Rock if they care.
I need to let you know that Boko Haram has become even more deadlier than they ever were. They have become even more daring that they take on and sack whole military formations. Ask security experts and you will be shock how more powerful Boko Haram has become.

Again, true Boko Haram took territories, but tell me how many of those LGs were under their control by the time Jonathan left office in 2015. Did elections not hold in all LGs in Borno State then?

As per rice import, has importation stopped? Has Nigeria achieved the seaired self-sufficiency in rice and food production?
What's the poverty rate in 2020/2021 compared with 2015?

Nobody is saying that Nigeria was eldorado by 2015, Nigeria was bad we all know but Buhari has worsened (in fact permit me to say worsted) it.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 3:32pm On Jan 14, 2021
kutchs:

Boko Haram was bombing just soft targets at Abuja like churches and the UN building. You may think that they stopped bombing Abuja because of what the FG has done. They simply changed tactics as they still possess the capability (even more) to bomb Aso Rock if they care.
I need to let you know that Boko Haram has become even more deadlier than they ever were. They have become even more daring that they take on and sack whole military formations. Ask security experts and you will be shock how more powerful Boko Haram has become.

Again, true Boko Haram took territories, but tell me how many of those LGs were under their control by the time Jonathan left office in 2015. Did elections not hold in all LGs in Borno State then?

As per rice import, has importation stopped? Has Nigeria achieved the seaired self-sufficiency in rice and food production?
What's the poverty rate in 2020/2021 compared with 2015?

Nobody is saying that Nigeria was eldorado by 2015, Nigeria was bad we all know but Buhari has worsened (in fact permit me to say worsted) it.

Dude, you have but a modicum of wisdom? If you want to b a critic be, if you want to be partisan be. How would you claim that BH changed tactics? What do you know about war time strategy, are you Boko haram spokesman? You guys just mortgage your thinking faculty and throw patriotism away just because you hate Buhari. Sad. Very sad.

You call UN building soft target, you call Police HQ in Abuja soft target.

For rice, what is the production tonnage in 2015 and today? How many rice mills exist in Nigeria pre 2015 and today? Yes there is still a lot to be done. Price has to come down and it will definitely. But to blindly deny the improvement since 2015 is to be hateful, unpatriotic, ignorant and a herd follower.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by 7lives: 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2021
Slackerpenguin2:

Am I in government? Ask the APC led admin. Ask PDP too why they didn't diversify the economy from oil?

But on a more serious note....diversifying the economy means removing subsides on power and petrol, and also cutting off corruption, and raising taxes...which are hardly poltically popular.

No matter how hard you try to educate them, they will never understand.
They want development but they are not ready to make sacrifices.
Ordinary to plant and eat rice they wail like spoilt children, if government should take and implement all the suggestions put forward by the world bank and IMF, this country will be up in flames.
Most Nigerians don't know the sacrifices that Chinese were forced to make for what they enjoyed now.
Last last, Nigerians will realize that there are no easy ways, hard way is the only way.
Remain blessed bro.

1 Like

Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Richsteemit: 4:00pm On Jan 14, 2021
My dick before he came to spoil it
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by HeadShot: 4:06pm On Jan 14, 2021
wellmax:

No intelligence at all. I asked a simple question, you are telling me stories. No wonder you fail examinations
Just now... More than 18 Kano traders kidnapped in kogi.... I will give you more updates as it unfolds
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by tsdarkside(m): 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mayng01:
All was in a bad state, but he has put all in a worse state after assuming office. with 2023 still farther, we have started feeling the heat of the worst to come from him, now we are hoping to fall back to the initial bad state which now seems to be a good state to us all. Moral lesson: you don’t value what you have till you loose it. Summarily speaking; Nigeria was in search of solution but found a colossal problem.

you are not havin back what is gone....

if you watch through nigerian history,nothing returns were it was....
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by tsdarkside(m): 4:21pm On Jan 14, 2021
things changed with buhari....

especialy army is gettin a boast....

things are been done that things are transparent....

no more standing for a small bag of rice and some nairas....

social programs,npower,trader-money and others....

school feeding program....

and other things i dont even know about....
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by wellmax(m): 4:21pm On Jan 14, 2021
HeadShot:

Just now... More than 18 Kano traders kidnapped in kogi.... I will give you more updates as it unfolds

Boko haram spokes person, you are doing well at your job. Masturbate on the news, when NA makes successes, hide your face in shame.
You are yet to answer the question in the thread, but it is okay, agenda must agend.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by rejoice4eva(m): 4:22pm On Jan 14, 2021
donbachi:
a basket of tomato was 3k today its sold for 30k..cement was 2k today its sold for 4,500..fuel was 145 today it goes for 170..a basin of garri was 1500 today its sold for 5k..a bag of pure water was 60 naira today it goes for 150 naira..a loaf of bread was 200 today its sold 500 naira..a satchet of tomato now goes for 150 naira..i no wan talk of onions...abeg make i stop here,i don dey get headache.

Petrol was sold #87 (point of correction)
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by tsdarkside(m): 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
rejoice4eva:

Petrol was sold #87 (point of correction)

we will see....when nigeria produces enough then the price would go down....

nigeria waited too long to diversivy....

rice is now more local....ofcourse foreighn rice is more cheaper,because they already industrialized....

and nigeria is motivatin that now too....
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by Williamspd(m): 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
corruption was moving on a normal before Buhari came.
Re: What Was Working Well In Nigeria Before Buhari Came To Spoil It by expert234: 4:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
wellmax:

Okay, going by your flawed logic, where was election suspended in 2019 because of security?

The focus here is on 2015 election. Focus on it and stop wandering aimlessly.

Would there have been election if there was no free movement?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When They Tell You Peter Obi Supporters Are Rude, Show Them This / Voter Registration Towards 2007 Election In Nigeria / Miss Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.