Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy (8217 Views)

Contentment: A Good Quality Muslim Should Possess / Why A Muslim Should Not Celebrate Valentine? / Muslim Should Avoid Fights And Arguments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Lukgaf(m): 7:58am On Jan 15, 2021
As a Muslim, are you also planning to join the new association? Lol... The thread provides the definition of stingness according to Islam and why you shouldn't be Stingy not to talk of joining the new association grin

Definition

Literally, the word “stingy” means “miserly, who does not want to spend his money whatsoever, mean, parsimonious. It is expressed with the words “bukhl” and “shuh” in the Quran and sunnah generally. A stingy person is called “bakhil”. A bakhil likes keeping his money and gives it only when he is asked. The opposite of stinginess is generousness. A generous person gives money without being asked first and likes giving it.

As a term, stinginess means “Refraining from spending something which is supposed to be spent and refraining from giving freely to someone else because of excessive love for money and property.” According to Ghazali, stinginess is to keep property or money endowed upon one by Allah, refraining from spending it on the reason of creation; wastefulness is using something for a reason except the reason of creation, and it is generousness to use and spend something in accordance with the reason of creation

Stinginess means saving money and property and not using them to help others. Stinginess, in the Quran, means saving property and money endowed upon one by Allah and not using them for help as Allah orders us to.

“Woe to every (kind of) scandal-monger and backbiter, who pileth up wealth and layeth it by.” (al-Humazah, 104:1-2).

“And there are those who bury gold and silver and spend it not in the way of God: announce unto them a most grievous penalty.” (at-Tawbah, 9:34)

Believers are not stingy.

Characteristics of believers are mentioned in various places in the Quran. One of these characteristics of believers told in the Quran is that they are not stingy and that when they spend, they do it moderately. This is expressed in the 67th verse of surah al-Furqan as follows:

“Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes).” True believers should not be stingy.

Wrath awaits those who are stingy and who bids others to be stingy.

Allah the Glorious always warns human beings in different verses with different styles in order to protect people from this disease called stinginess.

“(Nor) those who are niggardly or enjoin niggardliness on others, or hide the bounties which God hath bestowed on them; for We have prepared, for those who resist Faith, a punishment that steeps them in contempt” (an-Nisa, 4:37)

“On the Day when heat will be produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of Hell, and with it will be branded their foreheads, their flanks, and their backs, their flanks, and their backs.- "This is the (treasure) which ye buried for yourselves: taste ye, then, the (treasures) ye buried!"” (at-Tawbah, 9:35)

The Quran often suggests people to get rid of this selfish feeling and develop the feeling of generousness instead of it and do good deeds in every possibility.

“And let not those who covetously withhold of the gifts which God Hath given them of His Grace, think that it is good for them: Nay, it will be the worse for them: soon shall the things which they covetously withheld be tied to their necks Like a twisted collar, on the Day of Judgment. To God belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth; and God is well-acquainted with all that ye do.” (Aal-i Imran, 3:180)

Reasons of Stinginess

It is possible to categorize factors resulting in stinginess under two titles:

Excessive love for property holdings and ambition of saving money: The leading reason of stinginess, which is one of the negative ways of human beings, is excessive love for property holdings and ambition of saving money because the desire for richness and ambition for saving money are present in humankind’s disposition. For this reason, they always work for this world and save money. As a matter of fact, the verse, which says, “And lo! In the love of wealth he is violent” (al-Adiyat, 100:cool points out to this aspect of the humankind.

Ways to Escape Stinginess

Islamic scholars consider stinginess a disease of the heart and state that this disease can be cured only with knowledge and practice. Service to God is the job of earning a secondary disposition by putting Islam’s orders into practice. One can escape stinginess by being generous. One should believe that boons come only if Allah endows them and one should learn to be generous and get accustomed to be generous by supplicating beginning from the childhood.

Treatment through knowledge: It is possible to get over the disease of stinginess only by learning its harms related to ethics, religion and social aspects and the ways of getting rid of it. A person who knows dangers of stinginess refrains from it. For instance, would a person who knows how dangerous a snake is play with it? Would he let that snake sleep with him in his bed? Similarly, a person who knows how dangerous stinginess is quits this negative characteristic.

Read the full article here:

https://questionsonislam.com/question/could-you-give-information-stinginess

Brethren, trust you have not got the membership form? If yes, please tear it! Don't be Stingy, be generous but spend wisely!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:50am On Jan 15, 2021
May Allah increase us in halal wealth and bless it for our families too.

21 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 15, 2021
Is not good to be stingy.

But, when some ladies start needing 2k urgently all the time from you... You will have no choice but to join the stingy men association grin

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by englishmart(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2021
I'm not stingy, but I don't have enough to share

16 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by StarPaidrecords: 9:34am On Jan 15, 2021
Taken
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by WiszyFraud: 9:35am On Jan 15, 2021
Of course muslims don't need be stingy to their women, because muslim principles makes the women to be submissive to the men,making the men make decisions easily, unlike the so-called christian women who think they could override their men,making them turn stingy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Queenlovely(f): 9:35am On Jan 15, 2021
I don take oath, I hope I won't die, will Allah kill me?

but let me come to the meat of the issue at hand,

let us forget about religion self, let us think secular.

there as some atheist out there that live a better life than even the religious people.

you don't need a storybook to tell you wether to give or not, it is the equivalent or playing this stupid trending game called Charlie Charlie.

let your conscience be your moral compass, give because it feels right not because you are compelled to give.

I used to think that when I give out I would make heaven, that is selfish, you have to give selflessly without expectations,

don't give to feel good, don't give because you want to bribe God, give because it is the right thing to do.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by samx4real(m): 9:36am On Jan 15, 2021
And so?

Why should human not be stingy
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:37am On Jan 15, 2021
Ok

2 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by sunshineV(f): 9:37am On Jan 15, 2021
so we should not be stingy but if u ask allah for money he will air you. audio God

2 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Jamiusewa: 9:38am On Jan 15, 2021
kiss
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by SmartHanif(m): 9:38am On Jan 15, 2021
The more you give the more you get!

4 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by AfonjaMuslim: 9:39am On Jan 15, 2021
Anneka101:
A stingy Muslim won't have access to their 72 virgins in paradise as the stingy women association would be waiting in janal.
Very true my Yoruba muslim sister

6 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:39am On Jan 15, 2021
Anneka101:
A stingy Muslim won't have access to their 72 virgins in paradise as the stingy women association would be waiting in janal.
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by thaoriginator: 9:39am On Jan 15, 2021
grin
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by thaoriginator: 9:40am On Jan 15, 2021
Anneka101:
grin
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by thaoriginator: 9:41am On Jan 15, 2021
grin
AfonjaMuslim:
As a good Yoruba Muslim, I am not stingy. I spend money on pussies here on earth while awaiting the 72 virgins in heaven
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Diffpussies(m): 9:42am On Jan 15, 2021
Me I be Muslim sad my fore head don black finish .....but I stingy like mad cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by thaoriginator: 9:43am On Jan 15, 2021
Ask4bigneyo:
Ok
grin roftlmaoo
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Elzakzaky: 9:46am On Jan 15, 2021
Muslim women should not be stingy. Una hear?

3 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 15, 2021
Una dey mean this morning o. grin grin grin[right][/right] grin
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Farid24224(m): 9:48am On Jan 15, 2021
Very educating!!!

Being stingy surely is a disease, the little you have you should share with your neighbor because Allah will consider your kind heart and provide you with more next time.

May Allah bless us and open our doors and our understanding.

4 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by uthlaw: 9:53am On Jan 15, 2021
sunshineV:
so we should not be stingy but if u ask allah for money he will air you. audio God
the way you are paying your pastors money to be rich and begging Jesus to return the favor....hope is doing it!

3 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by swtdrms(m): 9:56am On Jan 15, 2021
Some accounts need to be blocked from accessing Muslim threads, Mods need to look into that and devise means by which people who derail muslim threads can be banned from accessing muslim threads. This is really irritating. In the mean time, why not block those post making fun of the topic

OAM4J please look into this. This is too much and disturbing!

8 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by sunshineV(f): 9:57am On Jan 15, 2021
uthlaw:
the way you are paying your pastors money to be rich and begging Jesus to return the favor....hope is doing it!
another zombie that think life is all about APC & PDP

1 Like

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 15, 2021
Please if you are a Muslim here help a brother

Don't be SMAN
Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by AfonjaMuslim: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2021
swtdrms:
Some accounts need to be blocked from accessing Muslim threads, Mods need to look into that and devise means by which people who derail muslim threads can be banned from accessing muslim threads. This is really irritating. In the mean time, why not block those post making fun of the topic

OAM4J please look into this. This is too much and disturbing!
But we muslims are free to access christian threads

11 Likes

Re: Stinginess: Why A Muslim Should Not Be Stingy by Musty112: 10:09am On Jan 15, 2021
One effective way to defeat stinginess is for you to pray to ALLAH to make even the tiniest bit of your good deed a reason for you to enter jannah. For example, when you are giving alms, have it in mind that it might be your saving grace on the day of qiyamah.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benefits Of Donating Blood In Islam / True Story About Abraham's Journey To Mecca / 100 Advice From Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.