Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES (3623 Views)

Islamiyat Ojelade Got 7 PhD Scholarships In 7 Universities In USA With HND / Joy As Teenager Gets Admitted To 45 Universities With Over #1.5bn Scholarship. / After 5 Years Of Failure,Lady Rejoices As She Gets Admitted Into University.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by frankman365(m): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2021
A Nigerian graduate of polytechnic just got admitted into Texas A&M University in the USA for Msc in Mechatronics Engineering. He achieved this feet even without WES evaluation.

The question is, how many Nigerian universities do consider HND in their msc admission.

We need to reform our systems and we must begin by changing our mindsets.

The news was shared by a Nigerian lecturer based in Canada

Richiez
Fynestboi

Do the needful.

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by Freestainworld(m): 9:21am On Jan 15, 2021
congratulations to him, hope he makes us proud out there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by ogashman(m): 10:20am On Jan 15, 2021
Tenacity and resilience towards achieving one's goals may not pay in the morning but most definitely pays at the end of the day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by tobechi74: 2:48pm On Jan 15, 2021
Rules are meant to be broken
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by lightdream: 2:50pm On Jan 15, 2021
Not new .my friends are running Msc directly their HND in the US. I also have an Msc admission in Canada with my HND. I think a good CU and well drafted Statement of Purpose or not can get you one.

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by humilitypays(m): 6:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
US - an equal opportunity country where humans live cool

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by parkervero(m): 7:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
If they come back here those people in the academia will still label them
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by parkervero(m): 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2021
lightdream:
Not new .my friends are running Msc directly their HND in the US. I also have an Msc admission in Canada with my HND. I think a good CU and well drafted Statement of Purpose or not can get you one.
With upper or distinction?

Don't you think it will be expensive to run a MSC in the US?
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by parkervero(m): 7:28pm On Jan 15, 2021
HND vs Degree: Advantages Between HND Over BSc. Holders

Nothing is practically wrong with enrolling for HND or being an HND holder. I would like to distinguish between HND Holders and BSc. Degree Holders. Both of them have advantages than the other. But I have a more marketable preference for HND Holders.

A Higher National Diploma (HND) is an academic higher education qualification of the United Kingdom. Qualification of the same title is also offered in Argentina, India, Malta, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, and some other countries with British ties. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities at an advanced level; it is considered equivalent to a foundation degree or the first two years of a bachelor’s degree.

The House of Reps of the Federal Government of Nigeria has passed a bill to abolish HND/BSc. Dichotomy to close the gap between BSc. Degree and Higher National Diploma. This is the reason recently, in certain agencies, HND holders are upgraded to equal salaries like their degree counterparts.

So what’s your position with your HND?

HND Degree

Advantages Of BSc. Over HND Holders
Let us first look at a series of limitations with Higher National Diploma which Degree holders are not experiencing:

Consideration for BSc holders for teaching (education) without further qualifications are common. Whereas, Higher National Diploma Holders are expected to add, PDG – Postgraduate Diploma in Education to their qualification before they can be at the same level.
BSc holders are commonly accepted for MSc. admission without further qualifications. While some schools will not admit a Higher National Diploma holder without professional qualifications (such as ICAN etc) or Post Graduate Diploma
It is more practiced that BSc holders are assigned with administrative duties at the office rather than practical field duties which their HND counterparts are exposed to.
Except in recent cases and to a few government agencies HND holders were formerly employed with Grade Level 7; GL07 compared to Grade Level 08 for BSc holders. Yet, they are still denied the chance of advancing beyond Grade level 14.
Does it then mean it’s a woe to be a holder of HND? No!

Let’s take for the Higher National Diploma holders.

Advantages of HND Over BSc. Holders
But from a different point of view, things may surprise you if you think Higher National Diploma holders have limited advantages in Nigeria.

Here are the 7 solid reasons why the Higher National Diploma holder has a better advantage over his BSc. Degree counterpart.

Let’s consider some factors carefully listed below:

Affordable school fees: Most tuition fee charged by Polytechnics in Nigeria is less than N40,000. As such, education is more affordable polytechnic to all Nigerians, Unlike the University that many of them charge more than N90,000, Such as; LASU, ANSU, EKSU, AAU, and many other universities.

Study Abroad Preference: In the USA graduates with Higher National Diploma are preferred than their BSc. counterpart because of the US. places preference for your practical skills than just theoretical knowledge. See How To Apply For Masters With HND To Study Abroad.

Quick certificate: Within 2 years, the National diploma ND certificate can lead you to working in enviable positions. To start earning a salary with your certificate doesn’t have to cost you 5 years, and this has been very helpful, especially for those who depend on self sponsorship.

Change of study and environment: Yes, this is another benefit of polytechnic education. You can decide to change your course of study after your national diploma if there any reason to do so. More so, you can run a national diploma programme in Lagos and continue your HND in another polytechnic in any part of Nigeria. You can also go further to study at the university in any preferred state.

Easy admission: Easy as it sounds, polytechnic admission is less competitive. While some individuals may have been working after university admission for over 5 to 6 years without any breakthrough. Polytechnics have made admission easier, with one or two trials, you will conquer the problem of admission.

Job Opportunity: Presently now, some jobs are design only for National Diploma holders and HND holder and as such, there will be lesser competition for those with polytechnic Degree. In some industry like the Banking sector, there will be a specification that only ND certificates are needed for a particular position which excludes BSc. and HND degree holder. You should also remember that to be HND result holder, you must have an ND certificate.

Equal Certificate: Things are equal in the polytechnic as all Polytechnic results have the same value either private, northern, eastern, or western polytechnic. However, the Degree certificate is not equal and a federal university certificate is more valuable and wanted than some other degree certificate.

Admission by Merits: Admission at some universities is by ‘Who knows who’, money, connection, intelligence, and many other factors. You may have to pay a sum of the money before you can be considered for admission to some university.

With these my points I hope I have been able to strongly convince you that HND Holders have better advantages over BSc. Holders.
Copied

Some hope for the holders.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by cjeriia: 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2021
lightdream:
killjoy
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by BIZNess123(m): 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2021
That's good
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by Kingluqman(m): 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2021
Nice one
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by China112(m): 9:36pm On Jan 15, 2021
When God says it's your turn
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by Collins4u1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 15, 2021
Nice
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by ihatebuhari(f): 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
Good
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by SpicyMimi(f): 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2021
With HND you have more points than B.SC
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by samuelpeters(m): 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2021
Congrats on your admission.
It's not new for HND holders to get MSc directly. I don't know why our universities are discriminating against it.

Some universities in the US will use normal transcript to evaluate internally and give you admission. But you see that WES, he will still do.

©️2021.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by WoundedLamb: 12:25am On Jan 16, 2021
Please, what is the full meaning of HND and what kind of institution awards that?
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by lightdream: 7:30am On Jan 16, 2021
SpicyMimi:
confirmed

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by lightdream: 10:22am On Jan 16, 2021
parkervero:

With upper or distinction?
at least upper I know, dunno if less is accepted.

Don't you think it will be expensive to run a MSC in the US?
I don't have the current terms.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by parkervero(m): 5:44am On Jan 17, 2021
SpicyMimi:

How is that possible?
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by SpicyMimi(f): 8:39am On Jan 17, 2021
parkervero:

How is that possible?
When you evaluate your HND with WES, it is seen as 2 degrees unlike B.SC which is seen as one degree.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by SpicyMimi(f): 8:41am On Jan 17, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Please, what is the full meaning of HND and what kind of institution awards that?
Lol are you serious? Polytechnics of course. It means - Higher National Diploma.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by WoundedLamb: 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2021
SpicyMimi:

Lol are you serious? Polytechnics of course. It means - Higher National Diploma.

Oh... Ok. More like a collage or a technical school. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by frankman365(m): 10:24am On Jan 20, 2021
Please someone sent me a dm. I just came online and saw it. Please you can ask any question you have here so that those who can help out will do so. I don't get notifications(mails) on my phone until I check my mails.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by Raph82(m): 7:47am On Jan 29, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Oh... Ok. More like a collage or a technical school. Thanks.
U can even call it primary school. I'm not surprised, ur moniker has said it all.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by WoundedLamb: 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2021
Raph82:
U can even call it primary school. I'm not surprised, ur moniker has said it all.

What's the fight about? I was only making enquiries. Technical schools are alternative to universities and from the description the guy gave, that's seems to be the closest thing to the kind of institution described.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by babakb: 8:54pm On Jan 29, 2021
WoundedLamb:

HND means Has No Degree grin grin grin

Hey I'm just kidding, I'm also a HND graduate.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by WoundedLamb: 4:39pm On Jan 30, 2021
babakb:

HND means Has No Degree grin grin grin

Hey I'm just kidding, I'm also a HND graduate.

Lol... smh.
Re: A Nigerian Gets Admitted For Msc With HND Without WES by Kayprincefav: 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2021
Study in Malta - for International Students

The Malta islands is a place of remarkable cultural mixture between the ancient and the modern and also shares a coastline with the Mediterranean sea. Although Malta accommodates one of the oldest universities in the Mediterranean, its higher education system is future-oriented and integrates tradition with innovation.

Because of the size of Malta, there is only one university and one vocational college that comprises of a number of individual institutions. However, they both have a good reputation on international level. About 600 full-time foreign students and about 500 exchange and transfer students come every year to Malta from about 80 different nations. The country maintains a good partnerships and links with education institutions all over the globe.
read more here [https://www.latestadmissionnews.com.ng/study-in-malta-for-international-students/]

(1) (Reply)

A Babcock University Chick Video Of Her Doing Dirty Dance LEAKED!!! / How Much Do Salary Grade Level 13 LEA Teachers Receive In Abuja / Federal Polytechnic Offa,kwara State{information}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.