Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,556 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares (23994 Views)

Man Who Started Lagos Belongs To Igbos Has Been Exposed As Tinubu Supporter(Pix) / Now That Yorubas Claim Lagos Belongs To Yorubas, The FG Should Do The Following / "Hope Obi supporters Believe Now That Lagos Belongs To The Yorubas" - MC Oluomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2021
AreaFada2:

When I was a kid my old folks called Lagos : Eko, Ekoname, Ekoame, Ekonunuame. We understood all to mean camp.

Camp, watercamp, camp by the waters, camp by the mouth of water, actually meaning vast water body/sea.
It was never in doubt that these were original Benin ways of calling Lagos.
Etrusen
Samuk
Davidnazee
SarahA
Gregyboy
Nocomment2
Etinosa123456
slawormiir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 16, 2021
NextD18:
[s]I don't think so, I personally think Lagos state belongs to Tinubu and his household.

He's their god and has the power to decide what will happen and what won't happen.

People of South West should just create out a special new tribe for their god and personal savior Tinubu[/s].

Why not create one for the coward who was caught on top of 0l0sh0 in Lagos, I mean your Lord and master, Llamadi Cownu the greatest betrayal and coward of all time

Or we should create one for the senior coward Ojukwu whom FFK was shagging his wife when he was alive and died as a result of the stroke it caused him?

Which of them really?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:24am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

Why 70yrs after d war,

Forty miles from Benin lies a large town called Lago [Lagos], which also belongs to the King of Benin. It lies on an island and is a frontier town, surrounded by a strong fence. In it live none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner. Every day they come together in the king's house and make a sacrifice every morning. After the sacrifice, they hold court in the open air, in front of the king's house. Whoever has anything to complain about makes his complaint. They all fall on their knees when they present their case, and when one man is given a verdict in his favour, he thanks the authorities and the king. Also, two envoys always stand with the judge and listen to what is done. Every day these two send news off to the king, informing him of what the judges have done that day. They do this throughout the whole year. This is practiced not only in Lago, but also in other towns of the king, as well as in Benin itself. Many people come to the aforesaid town Lago, by water and by land, with their wares, which consist of beautiful cotton cloths woven in all kinds of colours and patterns." -
Andreas ulsheimer's voyage of 1603-4, translation by Adam Jones in German Sources for West African History, 1599-1669 (1983), pp. 40-41

In this account the eyewitness states that the large town(Lagos) belongs to Benin and was surrounded by a fence...

Then he states that the people who inhabit the frontier town are soldiers and 4 commanders...(Military presence)
It can be said that this was the mode of rulership before ashipa was made king

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by 9gerian: 11:28am On Jan 16, 2021
For clarity, he is referring to to Eko (Lagos Island), and not Lagos State.

Lagos State consists of other territories including:
Eko - Benin, Awori
Epe - Ijebu
Ikorodu - Ijebu
Badagry - Egun
Ibeju - Mixed
Ikeja - Awori
Iddo - Awori
Ijora- Awori
Amuwo - Awori
Etc etc

Ctorch:
Lagos belongs to Benin - Obanikoro's grandson declares, reveals why its monarchs never wore crowns.

The grandson of the eighth Obanikoro of Lagos has spoken on the issue surrounding the ownership of the state

- Engineer Layiwola Ajayi-Bembe said Lagos truly belongs to the people of Benin

- According to the octogenarian, it was agreed at a meeting in 1903 that Obas in Lagos should not wear crowns.

An octogenarian and grandson of the eighth Obanikoro of Lagos, Engineer Layiwola Ajayi-Bembe, has given a deeper insight into the history of Lagos and its relationship with Benin.

Layiwola also said that Obas in Lagos were historically referred to as 'Elekos' and did not wear crowns.

Speaking with Legit.ng's correspondent, Adeoye Adewunmi, in an exclusive telephone interview, Layiwola, who is the chairman of County and City Bricks, disabused the minds of people who believe that Lagos is 'no man’s land'.

Ajayi-Bembe explained that the decision of the Obas in Lagos not to wear crowns was resolved at a royal meeting held in 1903.

He further explained that Lagos belongs to the Bini (Benin) and not the Yorubas as it is misconstrued, adding that there are still relics of Benin all over Isale Eko.

The chairman, whose mother was the first child of Gbajabiamila (of Olowogbowo fame), identified Idumota, Iduntafa, Idunmagbo and Idunganran as Bini names.

He said:

“Obas (in Lagos) - we don’t call them ‘obas’, we call them ‘eleko’ and they don’t wear crown.

“My grandfather was at a royal meeting in 1903 when there was a dispute of which traditional rulers should wear crowns.

Ooni of Ife had to come all the way from Ife to Lagos upon the invitation of Governor (John Hawley) Glover.
“And the question they asked him (Ooni) was: ‘Who are the Obas that should wear crowns?’ He mentioned them – Lagos was not part of the list. We don’t wear crowns in Lagos.
“Lagos is Bini, not only because we came from Benin. There are signs and relics of Benin all over Isale Eko.

Enuowa is in Lagos; Idumota is a Bini name; Iduntafa is Bini name; Idunmagbo is Bini name; Iduganran is Bini name; tell me, what further proof do you want (that the Bini own Lagos)?”

https://www.legit.ng/1398022-lagos-belongs-benin-obanikoros-grandson-declares-reveals-monarchs-wore-crowns.html?fbclid=IwAR1BoQNVPVSmdYJQLkM0FEGTM79amLvBRU65gkyRX0pLtStG6RymygjZRHU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 11:28am On Jan 16, 2021
Etrusen:

absolutely!!!!
Benin liars are back in town.

Ekoname, Koname Tsunami, etc. LMAO! LIARS!
———————

No, the book which you all are referring to says something different.

(1) It says the name “Eko” was coined by the Ijebus based on the Dutchs’ “Ichoo” — it didn’t based on Binis. grin

(2) The same book said the Binis called it ”KoRame” based on the old Portuguese’s CuRamo.

(3) The book said NOTHING about where the old Portuguese originally got CuRamo from. cheesy

(4) But it does make it clear that the Binis got KoRame from the old Portuguese CuRamo — and not the other way round.

(5) The book doesn’t say that the Portuguese got CuRamo from the Binis. No, it’s the other way round.
——————————

Every Yoruba person knows one Yoruba oriki of Lagos which is: EkoaRomi sa legbe, legbe.

The source of the Portuguese’s “CuRamo” is thus apparent without any fraudulent replacement of ”N” and “R”. grin

You liars should stop tripping, I’m still around. cheesy

In sum, “Eko” is is an Ijebu PSM of the Dutch’s “Ichoo” and the Yoruba “Ereko”.

While the Portuguese’s ”Curamo” have its roots in the Yoruba oriki of Lagos viz. — “EkoaRomi”.

These are all loanwords into the Benin lexicon, and not the other way round. #BinisAreThieves grin

Cc: Christistruth00, Balogunodua, Ideadoctor, gomojam, id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, forgiveness, bularaz, TimeManager, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu, NGPatriot, macof

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:29am On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Forty miles from Benin lies a large town called Lago [Lagos], which also belongs to the King of Benin. It lies on an island and is a frontier town, surrounded by a strong fence. In it live none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner. Every day they come together in the king's house and make a sacrifice every morning. After the sacrifice, they hold court in the open air, in front of the king's house. Whoever has anything to complain about makes his complaint. They all fall on their knees when they present their case, and when one man is given a verdict in his favour, he thanks the authorities and the king. Also, two envoys always stand with the judge and listen to what is done. Every day these two send news off to the king, informing him of what the judges have done that day. They do this throughout the whole year. This is practiced not only in Lago, but also in other towns of the king, as well as in Benin itself. Many people come to the aforesaid town Lago, by water and by land, with their wares, which consist of beautiful cotton cloths woven in all kinds of colours and patterns." -
Andreas ulsheimer's voyage of 1603-4, translation by Adam Jones in German Sources for West African History, 1599-1669 (1983), pp. 40-41

In this account the eyewitness states that the large town(Lagos) belongs to Benin and was surrounded by a fence...

Then he states that the people who inhabit the frontier town are soldiers and 4 commanders...(Military presence)

Ooh i love this, keep soaring bro, u didnt come early this thread would ended longtime ago

TAO11 is no were to be found now
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:33am On Jan 16, 2021
TAO11:
Benin liars are back in town.

Ekoname, Koname Tsunami, etc. LMAO! LIARS!

———————

No, the book which you all are referring to says something different.

(1) It says the name “Eko” was coined by the Ijebus based on the Dutchs’ “Ichoo” — it didn’t say from Binis. grin

(2) The same book said the Binis called it KoRame based on the old Portuguese’s CuRamo.

(3) The book said nothing about where the Portuguese originally got CuRamo from. cheesy

(4) But it does make it clear that the Binis got KoRame from the Portuguese CuRamo.

(5) The book doesn’t say the Portuguese got CuRamo from the Binis. No, it’s the other way round.

——————————
Every Yoruba person know the the oriki of Lagos.

EkoaRomi sa legbe, legbe.

The source of the Portuguese’s “CuRamo” is apparent without any fraudulent replacement of ”N” and “R”. grin

You liars should stop tripping I’m still around. cheesy

In sum, both “Eko” is is an Ijebu PSM of Dutch “Ichoo” and Yoruba “Ereko”.

While the Portuguese’s ”Curomo” have its roots Lagos’ Yoruba oriki — “EkoaRomi”.

These are loanwords into the Benin lexicon, and not the other way round. Thieves!

#BinisAreThieves grin

Cc: Christistruth00, Balogunodua, Ideadoctor, gomojam, id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, forgiveness, bularaz, TimeManager, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu, NGPatriot

Am still finding the correlation

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:33am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

Ooh i love this, keep soaring bro, u didnt come early this thread would ended longtime ago

TAO1.1 is no were to be found now

I'm quite busy now... I might soon log out sef
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:34am On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

I'm quite busy now... I might soon log out sef

Oh ok thanks am at ekosdin i think we should meet one of these days call me
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 11:37am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:
Go find it with your brother who unknowingly presented the facts from that book. cheesy

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:38am On Jan 16, 2021
TAO11:
Go find it with your brother whose presents the facts.

Fuckkkkk off obsessed bitch
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:40am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

According to the French translation, it says that the Benin call it Korame....

Its not expected that the foreigner be able to write our word very well...

The korame doesn't have a meaning in Benin word and we don't Start words with the letter "k" and when pronouncing Ekorame, the "e" would be silent (Etrusen, hope I'm correct in this) esp if foreigners pronounce it. .

Now given the fact that Benin had more influence in Lagos(Eko)than ijebu, it's more logical that the Word Ekorame (camp of waters) given by the Benin was shortened by the Ijebus to eko... Thus Benin are the originator of the name Eko

Now if she says that korame was gotten from the Portuguese word curamo, its only logical that the korame would mean cure also in Benin as it is in Portuguese

An example of Portuguese word in Benin is spoon
Spoon means colher in Portuguese
Spoon means ekuye in Benin..

This debunks the claim that korame was a borrowed word

Samuk, areafada2, BornRicch
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by 9gerian: 11:41am On Jan 16, 2021
True.

Those Oshodis are now more or less Yorubas, with their ancestral tradition of the Tapa.

They own the tall masquerade- Igunnu that still parade themselves as bonafides in various parts of Lagos.

jneutron4000:
Aworis, Ijebus Own Lagos 100%. Am just saying that even the so called Benin kingdom, the first Oba of Benin which is Eweka, is a son of Oranmiyan from Ile Ife. Ile Ife Prince Oranmiyan lineage birth the so called Benin Empire and before Ashipa even stepped into Lagos, we already have the Dejo chiefs which are Elegushi, Aromire, Onitiwo, Olooto, Ijora etc, Edos knows Lagos is no their land, we just have some idiots in Yorubaland that spew trash at time just for stupid reasons grin. Lagos is surrounded by Ogun state within Nigeria and even by Yorubas in Benin Republic to the external border of Nigeria so how did the Benins passed Ijebus and Egbas to found Lagos? They are using names as references . Oshodi is not a Yoruba name but because a man from Tapa helped we the Yorubas to fight the British, Chief Oshodi Landuji was made Balogun by Oba Kosoko, Now there is nobody in Lagos state that do not know Oshodi even his generation are regarded in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:41am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

Oh ok thanks am at ekosdin i think we should meet one of these days call me

Seen boss...

Remove ur number

I'd be in Benin by Jan 30 sha
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 16, 2021
@nocomment2, face the lady arguing with you and stop digressing.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:42am On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

According to the French translation, it says that the Benin call it Korame....

Its not expected that the foreigner be able to write our word very well...

The korame doesn't have a meaning in Benin word and we don't Start words with the letter "k" and when pronouncing Ekorame, the "e" would be silent (Etrusen, hope I'm correct in this) esp if foreigners pronounce it. .

Now given the fact that Benin had more influence in Lagos(Eko)than ijebu, it's more logical that the Word Ekorame (camp of waters) given by the Benin was shortened by the Ijebus to eko... Thus Benin are the originator of the name Eko

Samuk, areafada2, BornRicch

The ijebu have no word as Eko, we have ekosodin in Benin,

Ijebu has no word as eko who dash them
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:47am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

The ijebu have no word as Eko, we have ekosodin in Benin,

Ijebu has no word as eko who dash them

They would soon say ekosodin is Yoruba land...

It's only a matter of time

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:49am On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

They would soon say ekosodin is Yoruba land...

It's only a matter of time

All lands in lagos was controlled by benins as stated by the dutch man,

Benin cultural nfluence was little in some aress but her political influence covered every part

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Meekymannia: 11:49am On Jan 16, 2021
After taking too much marihuana, chelsea and some other gins...why wouldnt you be saying jargons?! In that case, you should have called the edo people and your family members to come occupy lagos then. What is point of campaigning?! Rubbish
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:52am On Jan 16, 2021
Meekymannia:
After taking too much marihuana, chelsea and some other gins...why wouldnt you be saying jargons?! In that case, you should have called the edo people and your family members to come occupy lagos then. What is point of campaigning?! Rubbish

Our people are already there our edo dna is now mixed with the migrant yoruba blood, when the time for the pure benins to take over we will
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Meekymannia: 11:54am On Jan 16, 2021
Why are you just realizing that now?! Simply because lagos is now getting better by atmosphere...you re
all insane. You better stop taking whats not good for your health and brain.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 11:55am On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

All lands in lagos was controlled by benins as stated by the dutch man,

Benin cultural nfluence was little in some aress but her political influence covered every part

Even the paper that Christistruth00 was carrying up and down to deceive people states that the Korame/Eco belongs to Benin clearly... Thanks to nocomment2 that translated it, I won't have known

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 11:58am On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Even the paper that Christistruth00 was carrying up and down to deceive people states that the Korame/Eco belongs to Benin clearly... Thanks to nocomment2 that translated it, I won't have known

Lets pity them by leaving the thread we have done much damages already

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 12:00pm On Jan 16, 2021
Meekymannia:
Why are you just realizing that now?! Simply because lagos is now getting better by atmosphere...you re
all insane. You better stop taking whats not good for your health and brain.

Bro we dont want lagos but we won't take it when people like yoruba immigrants try to downplay our rights over lagos that would be unacceptable
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by slawormiir: 12:04pm On Jan 16, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
I am here...
Have always mentioned that we are thier father

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Etinosa1234: 12:04pm On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

Lets pity them by leaving the thread we have done much damages already

I'm beginning to gather information on the subject
Infact the kosoko/British feud states who the Oba of Benin is to the eleko(eyewitness account)

That Cross dresser will rather come and give us long interpretation of a letter already written in English to tell us that Benin - Lagos relationship was pata pote

Areafada2

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 12:05pm On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

(1) Ulsheimer’s report as cited above states clearly that this settlement of the Bini immigrants was confined to only one island.

In other words, these Bini immigrants settled NOT on all the islands in Lagos, neither did they settle on the mainland.

(2) Ulsheimer’s report (as cited above) states clearly that this settlement of the Bini immigrants (which is on the island) was a frontier settlement.

In other words, this Bini settlement lies on the border of (at least) two other settlements on that island.

(3) Ulsheimer’s report as cited above names this settlement of the Bini immigrants as ”Lago”.

In other words, “Lago” was just one settlement (wherein the Bini immigrants lived) among others’ settlements on that island.

(4) Ulsheimer’s report shows that as at the year 1603 when he (Ulsheirmer) visited the island, he already met the Bini immigrants already living on the island — within a fairly large fenced settlement.

In other words, Ulsheimer was not an eyewitness to how the Bini immigrants first penetrated into Lagos from Benin.

In other words, he has no information (eyewitness or even otherwise) regarding whether the Binis penetrated into the island (from Benin) by warfare.

Neither does he have any information on whether they acquired the settlement from the native people by means of some peaceful negotiation.

(5) Regardless of how they originally acquired their settlement (by conquest or by peaceful negotiation with the natives) the settlement — as at the time of Ulsheimer’s visit — was already the exclusive property of the Binis.

(6) The only writings which came to make the first statements on the manner of acquisition of their settlement are writings from the year 1878, 1914, 1929, and 1952.

(7) The 1878, 1914, and 1929 writings are known by historians as the Lagos account — and these three all agree that the Binis acquired their settlement on the Island by means of a peaceful negotiation with the native owners, the Aworis.

[See attached for an excerpt from the 1929 recollection of the Lagos account].

(8 ) It wasn’t until the year 1952 (decades after the Lagos account have been published by British colonial authorities) that a Benin Chief by the name J. U. Egharevba came up with his reactive account that the Binis acquired the Lagos settlement by warfare.

(9) It is clear who was narrating an account unconditionally, and who woke up decades later (without any prior evidence) to react that it wasn’t so.

Cc: , Balogunodua, Ideadoctor, gomojam, id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, forgiveness, bularaz, TimeManager, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu, NGPatriot

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 12:09pm On Jan 16, 2021
Here goes the bit-by-bit comments after every bit of the actual translation of the French book, starting from the last line of the page 25:

Translation:
Captain Horsely referred to it as Eco, and that is how it was designated by the Ijebus •••

Comment:
(1)(a) The pronoun “it” here (in the context of this book) obviously does not refer to the modern geographical delineation of present-day Lagos State.

(1)(b) Rather, ”it” here refers to one of the many islands of Lagos — specifically that which is known today as Lagos Island.

(2) The name “Eko” for this island was coined by the Ijebus — and not by the Binis.

Translation:
••• by the Ijebus, but it is not their domain, it is the Benins’ — who refer to it by the name Korame •••

Comment:
(1) This shows that although the name “Eko” was coined by the Ijebus; the Binis have been on that specific location before them.

This statement here says absolutely nothing about your false notion that the Binis are the autochthonous owners of the island (or any part of Lagos).

(2) In fact, this same book already debunks such idea on page 25 where it clearly indicates that, the autochthonous ownership of the island [and beyond] belongs to the Aworis — not the Binis, nor the Ijebus.

(3) In sum then, this statement here (rather than speaking of autochthonous ownership) simply speaks of the relative right of the Ijebus or the Benin’s to the specific land which the Ijebus later came to name and occupy.

(4) The autochthonous ownership of all the land (according to this same book on page 25 and 26) has absolutely nothing to do with the Binis.

Translation:
••• the Benins’ — who refer to it by the name Korame [which is] recognizably the Curamo of the old Portuguese’s accounts, just as Eko represents the Dutch hydrographers’ Ichoo.

Korame and its mainland were linked, in the past, by a sandspit between the great lagoon and the sea. The Ijebus have, however, for a long time seized that sandspit which has also been infiltrated by Ijaw pirates in the East.

Korame thus remained isolated at the end of the great lagoon, and continued to be dependent on Benin for its choice of governor or political leader
.”

Comment:
(1) The Binis call the island “Korame” based on the old Portuguese word “Curamo” — not the other way round.

(2) The Ijebus who had coined the word ”Eko” for the island also did that (according to this book) based on the old Dutch word “Ichoo”.

(3) [Trade] activities in Lagos appears to attract more people than Ijebu and Benin immigrants. The Ijaws are also noted to have fallen in.

(4) It is noteworthy that the political leadership alluded to here [“governor or political leader”] was for the Binis, by the Binis, among the Binis, confined the part of the island left for the Binis.

The fact was witnessed by a German trader by the name Adreas J. Ulsheimer who in the year 1603 visited the settlement left for the Bini immigrants.

He noted that their settlement was on an island [Lagos island]; that it was fenced; that they ran their own affairs within the walls of their settlement, and that there were other bigger settlements on the island.

In other words, their dependence on their King (back in Benin) for the choice of their leader for their Bini must
not be confused with some idea of a King of Lagos.

No, the author of this French book chose his words carefully. He wrote “governor or political leader”. There are French words for “King” or “Monarch” if he had intended that.

Moreover, the kingship of Lagos island hadn’t yet begun as at this period. The Lagos island kingship didn’t begin until at the end of the 1600s/early 1700s.

It is always super easy to refute your dumb lies.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996573_16a428fd9d6444b2ad7219a9a44781d3_jpeg_jpega1f09ebdcbab0dd0aebe0dcc2167f806

Cheers.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 12:09pm On Jan 16, 2021
TAO11:

(1) Ulsheimer’s report as cited above states clearly that this settlement of the Bini immigrants was confined to only one island.

In other words, these Bini immigrants settled NOT on all the islands in Lagos, neither did they settle on the mainland.

(2) Ulsheimer’s report (as cited above) states clearly that this settlement of the Bini immigrants (which is on the island) was a frontier settlement.

In other words, this Bini settlement lies on the border of (at least) two other settlements on that island.

(3) Ulsheimer’s report as cited above names this settlement of the Bini immigrants as ”Lago”.

In other words, “Lago” was just one settlement (wherein the Bini immigrants lived) among others’ settlements on that island.

(4) Ulsheimer’s report shows that as at the year 1603 when he (Ulsheirmer) visited the island, he already met the Bini immigrants already living on the island — within a fairly large fenced settlement.

In other words, Ulsheimer was not an eyewitness to how the Bini immigrants first penetrated into Lagos from Benin.

In other words, he has no information (eyewitness or even otherwise) regarding whether the Binis penetrated into the island (from Benin) by warfare or whether they acquired the settlement from the native people by means of some peace negotiation.

(5) Regardless of how they originally acquired their settlement (by conquest or peaceful negotiation with natives) it was at the time of Ulsheimer’s visit the exclusive property of the Binis.

(6) The only writings which came to make the first statements on the manner of acquisition of their settlement are writings from the year 1878, 1914, 1929, and 1952.

(7) The 1878, 1914, and 1929 writings are known by historians as the Lagos account — and they all agree that the Binis acquired their settlement on the Island by means of a peaceful negotiation with the native owners, the Aworis. (See attached for an excerpt from the 1929 recollection of the Lagos account)

(8 ) It wasn’t until the year 1952 (decades after the Lagos account have been published by British colonial authorities) that a Benin Chief by the name J. U. Egharevba came up with his reactive account that the Binis acquired the Lagos settlement by warfare.

(9) It is clear who was narrating an account unconditionally, and who woke up decades later (without any prior writing or evidence) to react that it wasn’t so.

Cc: , Balogunodua, Ideadoctor, gomojam, id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, forgiveness, bularaz, TimeManager, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu, NGPatriot

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:
According to the French translation, it says that the Benin call it Korame •••
Etinosa aka ayoola27, is there any reason why you chose to lie to yourself?? grin

Isn’t that the definition of madness??

The remaining part of that translation which you’re afraid to type says:

“ •••the Benins’ — who refer to it by the name Korame [which is] recognizably the Curamo of the old Portuguese’s accounts, just as Eko represents the Dutch hydrographers’ Ichoo.

Clearly, the name Korame which the Binis used was based on the old Portuguese’s “Curamo“.

While Eko itself is (SAID BY THE SAME BOOK) to have been coined by the Ijebus — based on the old Dutch’s “Ichoo”.

These words clearly flowed into Benin lexicon (considering this book), and not the other way round.

So, it is clearly a loose-loose for Benin.

Why aren’t you honest with yourself?

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 12:22pm On Jan 16, 2021
gregyboy:

Thank you for confirming that you’ve seen my comment where I unpacked this quotation. A big thanks for making my comment more popular. cheesy

It must be really hurtful for you to realize everyday that I am always around to spoil Benin people falsehood business.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Shaolin0147(m): 12:22pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kwashiman:
This Bini people and their revisionisms sef, haba we no go rest for una? According to their warped prism of history everybody came from Benin including Jesus Christ himself, yet we don't even have a documented record of where they themselves came from. Our Oba this our Oba that, yet you guys appropriated the Oba title from your Yoruba masters, because una manage get small empire wey no even reach the size and influence of a kingdom we no go drink water keep cup again? Just visit their Benin social groups on Facebook and see all the historically distorting garbage they keep concocting and selling as facts, you will marvel at their delusions...no be only una get empire abeg, just respect yourselves and restrict your delusions to your minority one state in Edo... encroaching any further than your defined space will be looking for serious trouble.
shut up useless zombie,Lagos is Benin land

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (35) (Reply)

El-Rufai Creates A Territory In Kaduna, Appoints Son’s Friend, Muhammad Hafiz / David Hundeyin Calls Out Web Developer, Accuses Her Of Running Fake News Site / Tantita Apprehends Another Vessel For Oil Theft (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.