Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares - Politics (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares (24272 Views)

Man Who Started Lagos Belongs To Igbos Has Been Exposed As Tinubu Supporter(Pix) / Now That Yorubas Claim Lagos Belongs To Yorubas, The FG Should Do The Following / "Hope Obi supporters Believe Now That Lagos Belongs To The Yorubas" - MC Oluomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 12:46pm On Jan 19, 2021
So how did yoruba took over the ownership of Lagos from binin kingdom, to start with? grin

I guess the tiny, powerless binin couldn't do a jacck or was powerless after all? grin yeye dey smell. No be una fault Nah.

What's binin word for " Oba '?

Tao11, did perfect justice to this thread already. Kudo! Obirin bi o kun rin grin

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Westtimeline: 12:53pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

I don't tell lies bro

I can give you prove to all those state mentioned above

And i don't expect you to accept the truth tho, its hurtful
So why did they push you in one state hahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Westtimeline: 12:53pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:
So how did yoruba took over the ownership of Lagos from binin kingdom, to start with? grin

I guess the tiny, powerless binin couldn't do a jacck or was powerless after all? grin yeye dey smell. No be una fault Nah.

Tao11, did perfect justice to this thread already. Kudo! Obirin bi o kin rin grin

Let them keep fooling themselves.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 12:57pm On Jan 19, 2021
Westtimeline:
Let them keep fooling themselves.

They bear our names, They use our word for " king " OBA ".

They are not even whole tribe as you'll find among them mixed of ibos, Hausa, Yoruba.

And the worst part is, they are what I called ' a major minority '.

Sheybe they claimed to once ruled Lagos, Let them come and explain to us then how it was taken back and dominated by yoruba Nah. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 1:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
Etinosa1234:
[s]Yes... And the bolded is the only reason why Lagos paid tributes to Benin .... The circumstances afterwards which I'd soon talk abt explains it better
Nor be only devastate... Na demonstrate nko grin grin...
Meanwhile as u bring up ur demonstrate cheesy reply, I already have a more crushing answer for anything u try to bring up[/s] •••

IV - THE DYNASTY

(1) It is indisputably and mutually agreed in both Lagos sources and Benin sources that the progenitor of the present dynasty of Eko is a certain man by the name Ashipa (spelt by Chief Egharevba as Esikpa).

(2) While the above common ground is undeniable, the points of difference also exists. Lagos accounts identify this progenitor as a Yoruba chief (of Ife royal descent) from Isheri.

The Benin accounts identify him as a son (or grandson) of a Benin king. This point of sharp difference is not to say that the Eko dynasty does not have any historical connection with the Benin kingdom.

The Eko dynasty certainly does have some point of historical connection with the Benin kingdom. This historical connection is noted in the Lagos account to be two folds, namely:

(A) Maternal Connection -- through Ashipa who married a Bini princess through whom his son, Ado, was born.

Ado is said to have lived in Benin but was invited back to Lagos to rule after his father.

Cited in Patrick Cole, “Modern and Traditional Elites in the Politics of Lagos”, (1975), p.12.

(B) Political Connection – between Ashipa and the then Benin king whose subjects were living in one of the settlements on Lagos island.

The details of this political connection, as contained in the Lagos records, state that Lagos island as a whole used to be under the control of the king of Iddo island (A. C. Burns, 1929:42-44).

Ashipa -- being eager to establish a monarchy (which would be independent of Iddo’s control) on the island -- sought the support of the powerful king of Benin to fulfil his strong aspiration. (A. C. Burns, 1929:43).

This arrangement proved successful, and thence did the king of Benin earn Ashipa’s unwavering loyalty — earning remittances as well as the honour of recognizing successive (patrilineal) Yoruba kings of the island. (Burns, 1929:43).

The following four key points are to be stressed for the umpteenth time:

(i) These foregoing Lagos accounts of the Benin/Lagos-island interaction are many decades earlier than Chief Egharevba’s contrary later-day reactive account.

(ii) There are no earlier records of Benin/Lagos-island interaction which touches specifically on the identity of Ashipa.

(iii) Neither are there any earlier records which identifies the reason for the strong loyalty of Lagos-island to the Benin king.

(iv) Nor are there any earlier records which identifies the king who controlled the whole of the island prior to the present independent dynasty.

The earlier records remain completely silent on these aforementioned specifics.

The most that some of these earlier materials/letters do (just as the letter you’ve attached here) is that they simply allude to the strong loyalty by which the Lagos-island monarchy was bounded to the Benin kingdom.

These earlier materials/letters remain completely silent regarding the reason for this loyalty.

The first writings to pinpoint the reason for this strong loyalty are the records of Lagos history published by the British authorities in 1878, 1914, and 1929.

And these records state that the basis of the observed strong loyalty of the Lagos island monarchy to the Benin king is rooted in a tie of “gratitude” (A. C. Burns, 1929:43).

The Benin king having successfully supported Ashipa in his desire to establish a monarchy which will be independent (of Iddo’s control) on the island thus earned Ashipa’s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty in the form of tributes and confirmation honour.

Cc: Balogunodua, Ideadoctor, gomojam, babtoundey, DenreleDave, TimeManager, Christistruth00, macof, RuggedSniper, SaintBeehot, Olu317, reallest, Amujale, forgiveness, NGpatriot, MelesZenawi

id2019, djevino, 9jamustchange, BornRicch, Ddaji, J111333, excanny, Mysticwebb, Yebosola, Derrylatei, AustineJohn908, Cashsteady, owobokiri, bularaz, kilonshele101, 8BitGee, Daum, edo3,, hicomm17, lionshare, ekesol, Demogorgon, Rumxy, Paganizonda, gwafaeziokwu

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Westtimeline: 1:14pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

They are not even whole tribe as you'll find among them mixed of ibos, Hausa, Yoruba.

Sheybe they claimed to once ruled Lagos, Let them come and explain to us then how it was taken back and dominated by yoruba Nah. cheesy
They are just looking for relevance and want to be noticed.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2021
TAO11:

Waoh! Curamo was not derived from Benins afterall as revisionist would like us to believe because Curamo was long used by the Portuguese long before Benin ever had any contact with Lagos. grin

Very insightful.

Besides, who are the Benins (I am not talking about Edo)? I think they are Yorubas from the descendants of Oranmiyan. grin

I even heard the official language in Benin Kingdom palace was YORUBA. How true is this?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2021
Westtimeline:
So why did they push you in one state hahahahaha

See mumu question why did they push British into uk,

I will pardon your ignorance i feel you're tribaly insecure
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

Tao11, did perfect justice to this thread already. Kudo! Obirin bi o kun rin grin

No the British took over lagos from Benin and returning yoruba slaves were left in lagos to settle

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 1:48pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

No the British took over lagos from Benin and returning yoruba slaves were left in lagos to settle

Source? cheesy
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by TAO11(f): 1:48pm On Jan 19, 2021
forgiveness:

Waoh! Curamo was not derived from Benins afterall as revisionist would like us to believe because Curamo was long used by the Portuguese long before Benin ever had any contact with Lagos. grin

Very insightful.

Besides, who are the Benins (I am not talking about Edo)? I think they are Yorubas from the descendants of Oranmiyam. grin

I even heard the official language in Benin Kingdom palace was YORUBA. How true is this?

Dont mind those children. I would reply to your mentions in due course. The one about Ijebu and this.

Thanks for your understanding.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 1:51pm On Jan 19, 2021
thatigboman:
all these your Tales By Moonlight and no single literature to back them up.
How can Porto Novo be under alaafin of oyo when dahomey women overan abeokuta and your greatgrandparents ran as the feet could carry them, abandoning the wives and children and hid under olumo rock?

Oyo Empire subjugated the kingdom of Dahomey long before Abeokuta ever existed.

In fact, the Egbas were still part of the Oyo Empire then.

It was after Alaafin Abiodun abandoned the policy of strengthening the military for Economic prosperity that the Egbas disagreed and left Oyo for Ibadan before they finally got to Abeokuta.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by forgiveness: 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2021
TAO11:
Dont mind those children. I would reply to your mentions in due course. The one about Ijebu and this.

Thanks for your understanding.

Okay. Will appreciate. Thanks
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

Lol, are you trolling edos because am dishing out
The painful truth to you all

The name oba is of benin origin your chief priest ooni, took the name oba in 1930 to replace the sir the British used in addressing him
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

Source? cheesy

You dont even know this fact and still you're defending lagos, lol

I must defend lagos since lagos is full of Yoruba it doesn't matter if i say rubbish doing it

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by Westtimeline: 3:33pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

See mumu question why did they push British into uk,

I will pardon your ignorance i feel you're tribaly insecure
ODE nie, the push British into UK, who push British into UK.

You are a dunce, when you don't know who and who is British.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by plaindealer: 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

The name oba is of benin origin your chief priest ooni, took the name oba in 1930 to replace the sir the British used in addressing him

Who fit decode or explain the meaning of this meaningless comment?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 3:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

You dont even know this fact abd yet you're defending lagos, lol

I must defend lagos since lagos is full of Yoruba it doesn't matter if i say rubbish doing it

So, in a nutshell, you have no source? Good for you then. grin
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 3:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

I am trolling edo because I asked you to prove your claim? I guess there must be another ' word " for troll. WTF!!..is this?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
plaindealer:

Who fit decode or explain the meaning of this meaningless comment?

The dude has obviously lost it. Wtf. I asked a simple question he called me a troll cos he couldn't prove his audio claim.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by ItooWorWor(m): 3:51pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

Where is the so called truth you want us to believe I have been following this thread since yesterday and you still haven't prove anything, Tao did justice to every lies you brought forward.

And what is Oba in your Edo Lang
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 3:52pm On Jan 19, 2021
TAO11:
False fraudulent reasons as expected. I guess his ancestors also came because of herdsmen.

The reason of herdsmen came up during his visit to the Office of the Osun State Governor.

Check out the video below for one of his reason why he visited the Ooni.

Ewuare simply came to Ife to do the same thing that his own ancestors came to do — culminating ascension rites.

Note that they always come to Ife soon after they had just been crowned king of Benin.

The Ooni’s visit to Benin, on the other hand, was not because he was just crowned king of Ife.

Rather he went to Benin, just like every Nigerian dignitary, to attend the coronation ceremony.

No Ooni of Ife visits Benin just after he had just become Ooni.

It only happens with the Benin kings. They must visit Ife just after they had ascended the Benin throne.

Wonderful!! grin

May be should you should proceed now to inform us of the reason why the then Ooni of Ife was visited in Ife, in the early 1930s, by your Omonoba Akenzua II after he had just ascended the Benin throne.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13001549_8542decf4d954a1b907e0beb2d74ac8a_jpeg_jpeg927b109065011da3429151893c998900

After that, proceed to explain why the [same] Ooni of Ife was visited in Ife, in the late 1970s, by your Omonoba Erediauwa also after he had just ascended the Benin throne.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13001550_99016c282e9b484dae2b8c82f05edf11_jpeg_jpeg4946da521acbba55454f095d95999f8a

After that, proceed to explain why the present Ooni of Ife was visited in Ife, in the year 2016, by your present Omonoba Ewuare II also after he had just ascended the Benin throne.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13001551_ab64cfb09a1c4615898da3319be86a8e_jpeg_jpegdbba1b647a22ec3632f53f5210035f24

Since you now have no problem with the reports of Edo journalists, then you must have no problem with the reports of a Channels TV who hinted on some of the events that went down during Ewuare’s visit to the Ooni just after Ewuare’s coronation.

Check out the following Channels TV News report of the homage-visit of Omonoba Ewuare II.

Go to time-stamp 0:24 to 0:34, and you would find the following words:

...his first port of call is the palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi — where he also paid homage to all Benin kings believed to have been buried there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhU2AmpvJk

NB: Channels TV were present on ground. They weren’t merely reporting from the comfort of their office based on hearsay.

This simple fact thus clarifies the difference between the Benin kings’ visits to Ife and to other personalities in the country.

The other visits are apparently and merely for face-saving purposes, no homage is required in the other visits — or is it? cheesy

Cheers!

TimeManager, Christistruth00,

I don't see why you're trying to distract yourself benin and ife myth originated after 1914

oba of Benin visiting ooni of ife doesn't mean anything, except a mere friendly visit and not of cultural statutory

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by ItooWorWor(m): 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

I don't see why you're trying to distract yourself benin and ife myth originated after 1914

oba of Benin visiting ooni of ife doesn't mean anything, except a mere friendly visit and not of cultural statutory

And all this comments you screenshot translate too
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by plaindealer: 4:02pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

When the British bombarded and annexed Lagos, they removed Oba Kosoko and installed Oba Akitoye.

Kosoko or Akitoye sounds like Benin name to you?

The question now is, who was the Oba/King or ruler in Lagos when the British took over Lagos?

Was it Oba Kosoko or Oba Eweka?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by plaindealer: 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

The dude has obviously lost it. Wtf. I asked a simple question he called me a troll cos he couldn't prove his audio claim.

I think he's trolling because he's too historically vacuous and deficient to be taken seriously.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by ItooWorWor(m): 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2021
plaindealer:

When the British bombarded and annexed Lagos, they removed Oba Kosoko and installed Oba Akitoye.

The question now is, who was the Oba/King or ruler in Lagos when the British took over Lagos?

They kept making audio claim allover nairaland grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 4:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
ItooWorWor:

Where is the so called truth you want us to believe I have been following this thread since yesterday and you still haven't prove anything, Tao did justice to every lies you brought forward.

And what is Oba in your Edo Lang

Stop asking foolish questions

The question you should be asking hi
Is the benin-ife myth even real,

The answer is no, the myth was originated after after the creation of Nigeria, when the oba of benin politically aligned aligned edo as yorubas for political favors and accepted to be culturally included as yoruba by the Oduduwa ancestory, as needed to be politically aligned as Yoruba

The myth of benin coming from Oduduwa origin was born from such alignment

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 4:36pm On Jan 19, 2021
plaindealer:

So are you telling me when British invaded Nigeria or the urhobos the king who was on seat had a benin name

Having Yoruba name was the oba of lagos choice and not necessarily because of his ancestral makeup now you get?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by plaindealer: 4:47pm On Jan 19, 2021
gregyboy:

So are you telling me when British invaded Nigeria or the urhobos the king who was on seat had a benin name

Having Yoruba name was the oba of lagos choice and not necessarily because of his ancestral makeup now, you get

Another reason why you shouldn't be taken seriously...

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by SW1st: 5:02pm On Jan 19, 2021
plaindealer:

Another reason why you shouldn't be taken seriously...

grin grin

As in, eenh!!

grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 5:15pm On Jan 19, 2021
SW1st:

So, in a nutshell, you have no source? Good for you then. grin

Since.i don't have why dont you bring something that contradict my claims
Re: Lagos Belongs To Benin - Obanikoro's Grandson Declares by gregyboy(m): 5:17pm On Jan 19, 2021
Westtimeline:
ODE nie, the push British into UK, who push British into UK.

You are a dunce, when you don't know who and who is British.

Lol, it doesn't change the fact benin ruled entire Yoruba people and the whole of lagos in the past

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply)

Keyamo Mocks PDP, Atiku For Using Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge As Campaign Material / Supreme Court Shifts Judgement On Naira Swap To 10am / Truth About The Planned Demolition Of Gbagyi-Villa, In Kaduna Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.