Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,558 members, 7,816,349 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? (629 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / Christians, What Are The Reasons Why You Won't Go To Church On Sunday? / Archaeologists Find Gates Of Hell In Saudi Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Versionite4life: 10:01am On Jan 17, 2021
No insults please. What's the purpose of hell fire? I need a proper explanation, using perfect logic, morals and biblical backups.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by obonujoker(m): 10:12am On Jan 17, 2021
The lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels as an everlasting punishment.

It wssnt created for man.

However if a man decided to worship the devil and his angels, them he'd find his way there.

God created the lake of fire to punish the devil and other disobedient heavenly creatures... it's called "hell" to show the severity of the punishment as described by the Lord Jesus Christ

3 Likes

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by kingxsamz(m): 10:54am On Jan 17, 2021
Lmao.. They say it's created for the devil but their god is simply waiting for more people to commit sin so that it can round them up and throw them into hell with this devil, instead of just throwing this devil into this hell immediately and call it a day. Anyways, if a 3 year old tells a lie and dies that same day, that child is going to hell.

5 Likes

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by sonmvayina(m): 10:56am On Jan 17, 2021
Ask the christians who created it...
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
obonujoker:
The lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels as an everlasting punishment.

However if a man decided to worship the devil and his angels, them he'd find his way there.

God created the lake of fire to punish the devil and other disobedient heavenly creatures... it's called "hell" to show the severity of the punishment as described by the Lord Jesus Christ

Nice one brother. Well said.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Kobojunkie: 8:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
Versionite4life:
No insults please. What's the purpose of hell fire? I need a proper explanation, using perfect logic, morals and biblical backups.
Matthew 25 vs 31 through 46 gives you a better idea of those who Hell is made to house and a bit of the why.
The rest you would need to ask Him of.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by DappaD: 10:18pm On Jan 19, 2021
obonujoker:

So why was “hell” thrown into the “lake of fire” at Revelation 20:14? Is “hell” now a human being that can feel pain, if so what crime did “hell” commit to suffer forever?
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by DappaD: 10:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
Versionite4life:

To enslave the masses into filling the pockets of money-grabbers. The teaching of a “hellfire” is a slap in the face to the God of love. 1John 4:8
One of the reasons why God exterminated the Canaanites was because they literally burnt their children in fire. Deuteronomy 12:31
So why would God go against his own standards?

Those who quote scriptures Matthew 25:41, Mark 9:47, Luke 16:22-30, Revelation 21:8 as a support for their worthless “hellfire” doctrine indeed have a lot to learn because they’re doing nothing more than twisting the scriptures to suit their propaganda. 2Peter 3:16

1 Like

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by letu(m): 10:54pm On Jan 19, 2021
obonujoker:

The lake of fire is also TARTARUS or one and the same.

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by obonujoker(m): 11:18pm On Jan 19, 2021
DappaD:

So why was “hell” thrown into the “lake of fire” at Revelation 20:14? Is “hell” now a human being that can feel pain, if so what crime did “hell” commit to suffer forever?

I said hell (an adjective) describes what the lake of fire punishment really is...

"Hell" mentioned in that verse is the literal one (Noun); a place of torment for the dead without Christ; Some cultures call or "Hades"
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by DappaD: 1:13am On Jan 20, 2021
obonujoker:

I said hell (an adjective) describes what the lake of fire punishment really is...
"Hell" mentioned in that verse is the literal one (Noun); a place of torment for the dead without Christ; Some cultures call or "Hades"

There is no such thing as place of torment sir. “Hades” is the Greek equivalent for “Sheol” in Hebrew and “Grave” in English which means a state of unconsciousness and inactivity not torment. Besides the Revelation 20:14 already explained what the “lake of fire” means which is “second death” and at death, a being ceases to exist. Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:01am On Jan 20, 2021
The word misconceived as HELLFIRE is Gehenna, it was a valley behind the walls of Jerusalem where Israelites dump their refuse, fire is always burning in the dump as Jews often add sulphur and brimstone to keep the fire from extinguishing, dead animals (since their laws is against eating dead meet not slaughtered) and the carcasses of condemned criminals who don't deserve a befitting burial!
Jesus now used Gehenna as a symbol of final destination for unrepentant sinners, just as they believe that criminals thrown into the pit behind Jerusalem are worthless, so God will also treat unrepentant sinners by abandoning them to the grave they will not be remembered during the resurrection of the dead!

So it was a symbol of complete destruction not a literal place designed to torment living creatures the way Churchgoers were taught.
God condemned the act of burning, tormenting or making people pass through excruciating pains alive, he said such thought never came to his heart! Jeremiah 7:31; 19:5

The ultimate punishment for sin is death {Romans 6:23 compare to Genesis 2:17} but this doesn't make sense to heartless churchgoers, they feel God is not just if those who hurt them should simply end up dying after all both good and evil people do die. They don't believe in resurrection which is the hope of those who lived a life that's pleasing to God. Job 14:13-15

But God's word is clear that all those who died have served the full punishment for their sin! Romans 6:7

God bless you! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by shadeyinka(m): 8:30am On Jan 20, 2021
Versionite4life:
Very simple.

Hell is the refuse dump of God for spirit beings who choose to live independently of God. Since spirit beings don't die, hell also acts as a prison to house wicked spirit beings.

If God exists, shouldn't He punish (as examples) rapists, murderers, 419s etc and those who inflicts pain on others?
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Fvckyouall: 8:47am On Jan 20, 2021
Helfire exists as a place where the christain God puts people who think he is a scam inside.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Janosky: 4:29pm On Jan 20, 2021
sonmvayina:
Ask the christians who created it...
Better, "ask Christendom who created it"
Jude1:7, 2 Thess1:7-9. Romans 6:23 & Matthew 24:36-39 (reoccurrence of the scenario in Noah's day, according to Jesus Christ).
2 Peter 2:5-6, "God setting a pattern of things to come"
When you DECEIVE yourself that pattern is perpetual torture fashioned by Christendom , Pastorpreneurs & Churchpreneurs
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Image123(m): 4:37pm On Jan 20, 2021
Versionite4life:

Proper explanation and perfect logic to you is rubbish to another person. Also note that reality is not ruled or determined by explanation or logic. Life is real and happening whether it is explainable or logical. Prepare to meet God.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:46pm On Jan 20, 2021
Excellent response, One time~ Remi Aluko cheesy

Image123:

Proper explanation and perfect logic to you is rubbish to another person. Also note that reality is not ruled or determined by explanation or logic. Life is real and happening whether it is explainable or logical. Prepare to meet God.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by sonmvayina(m): 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2021
Janosky:

Better, "ask Christendom who created it"
Jude1:7, 2 Thess1:7-9. Romans 6:23 & Matthew 24:36-39 (reoccurrence of the scenario in Noah's day, according to Jesus Christ).
2 Peter 2:5-6, "God setting a pattern of things to come"
When you DECEIVE yourself that pattern is perpetual torture fashioned by Christendom , Pastorpreneurs & Churchpreneurs

How serious do you take the words of Harry potter in the book, "Harry potter and the half blood prince " or super man in a DC comic book? Or okonkwo in things fall apart? I will really like to know...
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by sonmvayina(m): 4:57pm On Jan 20, 2021
obonujoker:

Where did you get the idea that the devil is evil ?
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Janosky: 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
sonmvayina:

How serious do you take the words of Harry potter in the book, "Harry potter and the half blood prince " or super man in a DC comic book? Or okonkwo in things fall apart? I will really like to know...
Both Works of fiction , but Harry Potter is demonic.
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:17pm On Jan 20, 2021
My brother, this one doesn't even believe in demons, Satan don SCATTER all of them. Luke 11:23
Just continue to rejoice that Jehovah has drawn you closer to himself! smiley

Janosky:

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by helinues: 6:53pm On Jan 20, 2021
Where is it located? Which planet, Galaxy?
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:36pm On Jan 20, 2021
Versionite4life:

Where there is offence, there must be Punishment.

And where there is Punishment, there must also be the Place or House of Punishment.

Where there are Doers of Wrong, the there must be A Place for the Punishment of Wrong Doers!
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by sonmvayina(m): 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2021
Janosky:

And you think jesus is not fiction ? And the words attributed to him is not demonic ?

Whats the difference ?
Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Ihedinobi3: 10:13pm On Jan 20, 2021
Versionite4life:

Hi there.

I do have a policy to only engage in respectful discourse, so I have no intention of insulting you. I am offering what I hope is a proper, reasonable, and biblical explanation of the subject. Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions. But I should point out that I don't guarantee that my answer will be acceptable to you. I only intend to give you what I believe to be the true answer. You are free to challenge it as rigorously as you please, but in the end, you will have to choose what you will believe.

By hellfire, I imagine that you mean the lake of fire. If you do, then the simple answer is free will.

I'm going to try to explain that as simply and concisely as I can. I will be leaving out quite a few details and almost certainly some biblical evidence, so you may have questions after I'm done. I'll be happy to answer them, so feel free to ask them.

God built the universe and all the creatures that He made with "immortality" in them (Ecclesiastes 3:14). (The word is in quotes because it has more than one meaning. The biblical meaning is different from the more popular secular meaning. I'm using the secular meaning here: that something never goes out of existence.) So, nothing will ever just cease to exist. Everything God made will last forever.

God did this because He built the Universe to share it with intelligent and emotional creatures who could freely choose to share it with Him too. Of course, He had absolutely no intentions otherwise. It was neither His intent nor His desire that they would make a different choice although He did provide them with the ability to make a different choice if they so preferred. Because He built them in a native state of righteousness (for example, Ecclesiastes 7:29), things were just supposed to remain that way forever. But we know that they didn't. First, the angels sinned, then man did too in his own turn.

Because God knew that His creatures would rebel, He prepared for it. Eternal punishment was prepared for these "immortal" creatures who would reject God's Love. They were immortal, as already said above, because the idea was that God would share a wonderful immortal universe with them forever. Since they were not locked into that by the Lord -- that is, they had/have free will -- they could choose to rebel against His Will. What would the Lord do with them then? Since it wasn't all of them who would rebel, there had to be a separation. If they didn't want God, then they had to be removed from God's good creation. The Lake of Fire is the alternative to that good creation. It provides a sort of collection point for these rebels (Matthew 25:41).

That is one reason for the existence of the Lake of Fire. The other reason is related. God is just, perfectly just. It is necessary then that He punishes sin. This is, in fact, the reason that the Lord Jesus had to die for our sins. If someone sins, there has to be a punishment for that sin. Since sin is rebellion against God, the right punishment for it is to remove the sinner from God's Presence and cut him off from all of God's good gifts. It obviously makes no moral sense to continue to provide benefits to someone who hates you and does not want to share his existence with you. So God rejects all those who reject Him as well. But if God lives in His good universe with those who love Him, then what should happen to those who don't love Him? It makes sense that they should stick around someplace where they can rue their poor choice for all eternity. Why for all eternity? Because what they rejected was God's offer for them to spend their immortality in pleasure and perfect joy with Him. It is only just then that they should suffer the consequences due.

There is a bit more to this justice business. If the Lord Jesus paid such a hefty price for our sins against God, how is it fair to Him that those who reject such a great gift should just get away with it? If people died and that was that, then exactly what was the point of Jesus dying on the Cross? If there is no eternal consequence for rejecting God, then we might all as well live as we please and then die and be done with it (1 Corinthians 15:32). But Jesus paid an eternal price on the Cross so that we can spend eternity with God even though we are sinners. It would be terribly unfair if people just either ended up with the Lord in eternity without believing the Gospel or just ceased to exist after living such sinful lives.

There is even more. Although unbelievers will disagree, those who reject God in this life tend to hate those who embrace Him. It is always the case. Just as Cain killed Abel, unbelievers persecute and even kill believers in this life. If after all that, unbelievers either just ceased to exist when they die or they are admitted into an eternity with God, how would that be fair to the believers who endured all their wickedness in this life?

These things are what the Lake of Fire answers with its existence.

1 Like

Re: Christians, What's The Purpose Of Hell Fire? by Versionite4life: 6:14am On Jan 22, 2021
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Became RCCG G.O Exactly 40 Years Ago Today / Church Of Nigeria (anglican Communion) Hosts International Youth Conference / I Bought Her Another Subscription, But I'm Thinking Of Breaking Up With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.