Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,287 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth (7161 Views)

Aregbesola Admits Increasing Airport Contract By N7bn / Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had / Wikileaks Shows How US Govt Sabotaged Haiti Economic Growth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by ektbear: 2:01am On Apr 02, 2011
GDP is different from GNP, tho.
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Rossikk(m): 2:01am On Apr 02, 2011
ekt bear said:

Rossikk: Ain't worth your time, bro. Unnecessary gray hairs will be all you'll gain.

My brotha can you see how people just come in here to post all sorts of dubious figures and statistics that unsuspecting Nigerians will just read and accept??
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Apr 02, 2011
First off the GNP is NOT the same value as GDP.  Secondly, I didn't write the article, I simply quoted it. Thirdly, stop trying to make this about me since I did not write the article.

According to the worldbank, our GNP as of 2009, was at 321 billion which is NOT PER CAPITA and certain NOT our GDP for the same year. As I suggested, if you only you did a google search, you would probably have seen this and maybe figured the article got it's numbers from similar sources . . . . AS I SAID.

That you feel the need to ATTACK THE MESSENGER, is to me, clear that you are unwilling to even consider alternatives on this as usual. And yes, as you have been advised, is probably best you move aside so those who actually are patient enough to read and understand what is posted could dissect this one instead.
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Rossikk(m): 2:08am On Apr 02, 2011
ekt bear said:

GDP is different from GNP, tho.

It is, but not by much, especially when we're talking of GNP per capita or GDP per capita. Nigeria's GNP per capita AND GDP per capita stands at around $2400 per annum, and has been over $2000 per annum since at least the year 2007.
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Rossikk(m): 2:14am On Apr 02, 2011
Kobojunkie said:

First off the GNP is NOT the same value as GDP.

Either way, you are WRONG to quote a figure of $290 for per capita GNP (This was what you did, but you're not smart enough to know it)

Secondly, I didn't write the article

You probably did!

I simply quoted it.

Don't wash your hands off it. You need to research before posting just any old, disgruntled write up.

According to the worldbank, our GNP as of 2009, was at 321 billion which is NOT PER CAPITA and certain NOT our GDP for the same year. As I suggested, if you only you did a google search, you would probably have seen this and maybe figured the article got it's numbers from similar sources . . . . AS I SAID.

Sorry, you cannot BLAG your way out of the hole you dug yourself. YOU quoted a figure of $290 per annum as annual per capita GNP. Don't pretend you meant $290 billion.  The least you could do is apologize for attempted deception.

That you feel the need to ATTACK THE MESSENGER, is to me, clear that you are unwilling to even consider alternatives on this as usual.

I have to attack you because you posted MISLEADING AND BLATANTLY FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT NIGERIA.

And it's no defence to say you saw the figures on GOOGLE!
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by edoyad(m): 6:37am On Apr 02, 2011
Kobojunkie where did you find that article, Daily Trust ?
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 6:46am On Apr 02, 2011
Am I wrong in thinking that you are more intelligent that this @Rossike character who feels that attacking individuals for posting articles is a way of WINNING DEBATES??

I suggest you take time to read the contents of the articles, digest the message and if link if your problem . . . follow the links to ascertain they are from sites out on the WWW . . . and then maybe come back with a more meaningful post.

If you are going to exhibit the herd mentality here . . . . I am perfectly fine with ignoring you as well . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by fstranger3(m): 6:50am On Apr 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Am I wrong in thinking that you are more intelligent that this @Rossike character who feels that attacking individuals for posting articles is a way of WINNING DEBATES??

I suggest you take time to read the contents of the articles, digest the message and if link if your problem . . . follow the links to ascertain they are from sites out on the WWW . . . and then maybe come back with a more meaningful post.

If you are going to exhibit the herd mentality here . . . . I am perfectly fine with ignoring you as well . . . ROFLMAO!!

ROFLMAO

I love Kobojunkie! SHe is the effing best in rabble rousing grin

Kobojunkie, we need to get together floreat. how far are you from downtown?
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by edoyad(m): 7:29am On Apr 02, 2011
Haba kobojunkie, it was a simple question ? Thing is, the main points in your article have already been proved grossly erroneous.

GNP or GDP per capita is roughly gotten by dividing GDP or GNP(whichever is applicable to) by the country's population. If you divide our $300+ billion GDP/GNP by our over 140 million population you'll come up with GDP/GNP per capita of over $2000+ and not $290 like your article stated.
Do you still insist that i read the article inspite of this ?
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 1:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
edoyad:

Haba kobojunkie, it was a simple question ? Thing is, the main points in your article have already been proved grossly erroneous.

GNP or GDP per capita is roughly gotten by dividing GDP or GNP(whichever is applicable to) by the country's population. If you divide our $300+ billion GDP/GNP by our over 140 million population you'll come up with GDP/GNP per capita of over $2000+ and not $290 like your article stated.
Do you still insist that i read the article inspite of this ?

I am sorry but that was not the main point of that article . . . I agree that the article had some issues wrong with the stating of the numbers . . . no where in there are you told of any PER CAPITA digits being stated.

Also, That whole article WAS NOT on Nigeria's GNP -- it was on the issue of economic growth not lining up with poverty records --- that there, even from the topic is the main point.

Anyways, for I decided to switch it out so other intelligent individuals can see past that which even OCDs would not have gotten stuck on.
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Apr 02, 2011
[size=13pt]More than Half Nigeria’s Population Live in Abject Poverty :UN 2010 Report[/size]
http://ekoakete.com/2010/12/01/more-than-half-nigerias-population-live-in-abject-poverty-un-2010-report/

A United Nations Human Development report says 64 percent of Nigeria’s population live in abject poverty.

According to the UNDP report titled, The Real Wealth of Nations, Pathways to Human Development, launched in Abuja, Nigeria has a lot to do towards bridging the widening gaps in poverty and gender inequality.

The U.N resident coordinator, Mr. Daouda Toure praised government’s efforts at achieving the Millennium Development Goals, but called for more commitment.

The report has also put Nigeria’s life expectancy at birth at 48.4 years, a little rise from the 47.7 years recorded for the country last year.

The 2010 report, which was unveiled in Abuja puts Nigeria’s Human Development Index (HDI) at 0.423, which ranked the country 142 out of 169 countries with comparable data.

Nigeria did not make the very high Human Development rank, neither did it make the High Human Development rating. It was not also ranked among the countries that made it to the Medium Human Development strata.

Also, Nigeria found itself in the lowest ranking nations in the Low Human Development category, escaping from the bottom of the human development index by 27 positions.

The HDI of sub-Saharan Africa as a region increased from 0.293 in 1980 to 0.389 this year, placing Nigeria above the regional average.

The HDI trends tell an important story both at the national and regional level and highlight the very large gaps in well-being and life chances that continue to divide our interconnected world.

Nigeria’s expenditure on public health was put at 1.7 per cent of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), while under-five mortality stood at 186 out of every 1,000 live births.
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2011
Re: Increasing Poverty levels in Nigeria at variance with its Economic Growth by Kobojunkie: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transparency International Disowns Transparency In Nigerian Organisation / PHOTO: Is This The Most Beautiful Governor's Wife In Nigeria? / Buhari Committed To Lifting 100 Million Nigerians Out Of Poverty-sgf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.