Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,361 members, 7,954,472 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:52 PM

My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos (1138 Views)

Beggar Killed As Hoodlums Clash Over Booty In Osun / My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos / Manhood Of Man Who Gave Crippled Beggar Money At Ikeja Vanishes - Instagram User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 6:59pm On Jan 19, 2021
It is no longer news that some able bodied youths in Lagos make a living from begging. The professional beggars will ask for just a little favour which they might claim is for their feeding that night or transport fare. The elderly ones will stay at a particular point while begging every passerby. The corporate beggars on the other hand are usually well dressed and mostly explain themselves in detail. They might ask for transport fare or any other financial help but not food. These people take advantage of the overpopulation of the city to carry out their activities.
Yesterday on my way home,I dropped at the ever busy Ajah under bridge at about 8pm. Just as I was about crossing to where I will board another vehicle,my eyes caught up a young girl of about 17 years standing alone . She wore a skirt and blouse and her hair was on low cut. She looked a bit stranded and I noticed that she was just looking for some attention. It didn't even take me up to two seconds to assess her before crossing the road. I have met many people like that and I know their motives even before they approach me.
Sometimes I give to people who are stranded when I can because I know what it feels like. But I always try to find out first.I can remember buying food for a woman who begged me for money for food . I offered her a bottle of mineral that was with me and she accepted. Instead of the mineral,I bought her food.
About four minutes after crossing the road,I noticed that the girl I saw was now about two meters behind me.She gradually came and stood beside me.I pretended like I haven't noticed her because there were people everywhere.She greeted me then I now looked at her directly ,still pretending as if I didn't hear her correctly.She repeated the greeting and then I replied.She said I should please help her with 200 naira. I told her that I don't really have at moment . She said ok and thanked me.She then brought out her Nokia touch and tried making a call but didn't.I moved towards the next vehicle that slowed down and was out of sight to her.
I returned few meters away behind her just to check whether she was actually stranded but met her begging another guy who still didn't give her anything.
At this point, I met a tricycle operator who was loading behind her,explained to him and asked him to call her in . The operator called here and asked her where she was going but she didn't answer.He also asked her whether it was money issue that she should just forget and enter.She then thanked the man and told him that she was waiting for someone.
And I said to myself,I wasn't wrong after all..THIS IS STILL LAGOS.
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2021
Please I'll be back soon.
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by OlayemiAshraf(m): 7:27pm On Jan 19, 2021
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by Samfloxin(m): 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2021
You will be back soon, you wan go toilet?
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2021
Samfloxin:
You will be back soon, you wan go toilet?
No sir,I am back already.
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by Kingofgods: 8:16am On Jan 20, 2021
She probably thought you more trustworthy than de tricycle rider. She told you she needs #200 and not for a ride. In such cases I would advise if you get u give but if u no get just say u no get and forget drama. No matter how rich a beggar is, wen he begs if u get u give. If it was Genevieve dat walked up to u I believe u would be happy to give her more than dat while inwardly praying and imagining ur way to stardom. Men have helped angels, don't miss urs. Don't be a member of SMAN...

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 9:25am On Jan 20, 2021
Kingofgods:
She probably thought you more trustworthy than de tricycle rider. She told you she needs #200 and not for a ride. In such cases I would advise if you get u give but if u no get just say u no get and forget drama. No matter how rich a beggar is, wen he begs if u get u give. If it was Genevieve dat walked up to u I believe u would be happy to give her more than dat while inwardly praying and imagining ur way to stardom. Men have helped angels, don't miss urs. Don't be a member of SMAN...
Even when an able bodied young person like me wants to trick me into believing that she was stranded? I hate being fooled I don't know about you.I don't give because I have much but just to help someone who might be in a tighter corner. Remember I was going to pay the tricycle operator. I hope you don't encourage idleness. If you give anyhow in the streets of LAGOS,you might run into debts.The t.fare from that bus stop is about150_200. I don't give to those who want but those who really need.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by juniorstar(m): 9:38am On Jan 20, 2021
op u get time oo. for this Lagos wey everybody dey kanju
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 9:49am On Jan 20, 2021
juniorstar:
only people in the streets Will understand.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by stupidmod2: 10:07am On Jan 20, 2021
ehya
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by Kingofgods: 10:15am On Jan 20, 2021
kellyjc:
Even when an able bodied young person like me wants to trick me into believing that she was stranded? I hate being fooled I don't know about you.I don't give because I have much but just to help someone who might be in a tighter corner. Remember I was going to pay the tricycle operator. I hope you don't encourage idleness. If you give anyhow in the streets of LAGOS,you might run into debts.The t.fare from that bus stop is about150_200. I don't give to those who want but those who really need.
op anytime somebody ask u for money even if de person is wearing gold chains and all dat, give if u have, if u don't have then u do de needful...not to turn investigative journalism. Imagine say na dangote daughter dey use dat format dey take find husband now, na so u for miss out on de list cos I Kno whether u give her or not, many ppl will give her even more...
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by Kingofgods: 10:17am On Jan 20, 2021
juniorstar:
lol no mind op.
Wetin funny me be say op first go turn round observe

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 10:47am On Jan 20, 2021
Kingofgods:
op anytime somebody ask u for money even if de person is wearing gold chains and all dat, give if u have, if u don't have then u do de needful...not to turn investigative journalism. Imagine say na dangote daughter dey use dat format dey take find husband now, na so u for miss out on de list cos I Kno whether u give her or not, many ppl will give her even more...
you are certainly not in the streets of LAGOS.About the Genevieve you mentioned,I am not a woman freak.I also help guys when I can.
Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kereman1: 10:48am On Jan 20, 2021
Dear kellyjc u get mouth to open thread and castigate her because she asked for just 200naira.
She didn't offer sex in exchange.
She didn't asked aggressively.
She didn't point a gun at you.

People like you will delightfully donate a car to your pastor as appreciation. But u forget soo soon the bible verse that says
"That you do to the least of your brother, you do unto me".

She might be begging to stay away for bad life. No many how good looking a begged is, respect their legit hustle cos it's not easy to stood soo low as to beg for money.

If all the ritualist, kidnappers, cultist, terrorist, fruadstars, become begged don't you think this country will be safer?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Professional Girl Beggar In Lagos by kellyjc(m): 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2021
kereman1:
Dear kellyjc u get mouth to open thread and castigate her because she asked for just 200naira.
She didn't offer sex in exchange.
She didn't asked aggressively.
She didn't point a gun at you.

People like you will delightfully donate a car to your pastor as appreciation. But u forget soo soon the bible verse that says
"That you do to the least of your brother, you do unto me".

She might be begging to stay away for bad life. No many how good looking a begged is, respect their legit hustle cos it's not easy to stood soo low as to beg for money.

If all the ritualist, kidnappers, cultist, terrorist, fruadstars, become begged don't you think this country will be safer?
I had to make sure that she was not stranded before making my decision.In Lagos,begging someone who you might never meet again doesn't mean to stoop so low. Some able bodied youths make a living from it . You mentioned the legality of her activities,do you know it is fraudulent to claim what you aren't just to get donations . My point was not to discourage giving to people because I know how difficult it is out there,but to discourage giving to habitual beggars who are multiplying by the streets and encourage hard work.
Your signature though.

(1) (Reply)

See The Beautiful Girl That Yahoo Boys Wanted To Use As Sacrifice Photos / Police Confirm Unknown Gunmen Attack On Nsukka Community / Suspected Herdsmen Kill Five In Fresh Attack On Benue Communities(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.