Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

My Near Death Experience - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Near Death Experience (1847 Views)

Recommendation For Nice Affordable Hotel Near Ladipo Market / A Jeep Climbs Up Near Vertical Rock (Photos, Video) / Range Rover Goes Up In Flames Near Third Mainland In Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Near Death Experience by soulminister(m): 3:26pm On Jan 20, 2021
This happened on Sunday, 3rd of January 2021. I was driving my mum's toyota corolla 2004 model from my hometown (Isuochi, Abia State) to our church camp (Mgbidi, Imo State). In the car with me was my mum, one of my younger brother and my two sisters. Coming down from Enugu-Portharcourt expressway, I had to enter and pass through Okigwe town. I don't know the route in the town to follow and come out to Onitsha-Owerri expressway so that I can get to Mgbidi. Because of this I had to use Google map.

The map was taking me through interior villages with very bad roads. As I got to a village in Orlu LGA, I miscalculated a bad road and as I passed through, due to the low jack of toyota corolla, it broke my exhaust pipe.

That location was so interior that there was no mechanic close by and the map shows that I am 12km away from the Onitsha-Owerri expressway. I knew that when I get there, I will see a mechanic shop. I continued driving with the broken exhaust. If you understand toyota corolla, you will know that the exhaust pipe was close to the fuel tank of the car. 

9km into my journey, I started perceiving fuel inside the car. Note that the windows are up as the AC is on. I parked to check the exhaust pipe, that was when I noticed that the fuel tank was leaking. Apparently, it turns out that the broken part of the exhaust pipe was melting the fuel tank which is made of plastic. I was in awonmama town then but no mechanic shop around. That was a situation that causes any car to explode and start burning. I entered the car and continued the journey till I got to the expressway and parked at the nearest mechanic shop.

The repair man was shocked that I got there in such car condition. Saying that I was lucky because any car in such condition explodes spontaneously. I was like, God's grace over my life and that of my family brings about such testimonies.

The repair man removed the fuel tank, emptied the fuel and patched the tank while the panel beater fixed the exhaust pipe. We continued the journey till we got to the camp ground.

The program ended on Wednesday, 6th January 2021 and we left the next day by 6:15am. We got back home in Aba, Abia State, by 8:20am. Before getting home, as I passed Owerri town, I started perceiving fuel again in the car as the AC was on, but I ruled it out as nothing. 15 mins after I got home and already parked the car, I came to check on the car and noticed that fuel was leaking again from the fuel tank. Apparently, the patched section has opened up again. I drove the car to the mechanic shop we patronize. The repair man said that patching won't work. He said we had to buy a new fuel tank to replace it. The car is still parked in the shop till now because fuel tank is quite expensive for me to get at the moment.

That was my near death experience this new year. Attached to this write-up is a picture of the fuel tank with the section that melted and was leaking fuel. The picture was taken in the first mechanic shop

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Near Death Experience by Sankabson(m): 3:38pm On Jan 20, 2021
Driving with Google Map can be very risky in this country.. All is well!

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by maxjax(m): 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
Thank God for your life o0o

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2021
Sankabson:
You're very wrong. I have been using Google map since 2014 and it has been very reliable. Obviously there are no good roads around the OP's location cuz Google map route to the best and traffic free road for you to take. It even ask you before re-routing to a shortcut.

8 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Mayor555(m): 5:17pm On Jan 20, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

You're very wrong. Havei have been using Google map since 2014 and it has been very reliable. Obviously there are no good roads around the OP's location cuz Google map route to the best and traffic free road for you to take. It even ask you before re-routing to a shortcut.

You don't know what you're talking about..

Well, if you continue using it, you will understand some day...

Don't worry, it won't be a costly one.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Balistic4: 5:59pm On Jan 20, 2021
thank God for your life bro. The last time I went to enugu from lagos, I followed Google maps, ladies and gentlemen, I saw myself at a dead end with river in front of me around epe shocked shocked shocked like who tarred the road to a river and stops there and the mumu map carry me enter there grin grin grin

18 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Kanoski(m): 6:22pm On Jan 20, 2021
Advantages a of corolla...
I wonder what would have happened if were driving a more complicated car...
Re: My Near Death Experience by homeboy205: 6:35pm On Jan 20, 2021
Kanoski:

Stop praising Corolla, the fuel tank positioning to the exhaust system is a flaw in design.

12 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Aaaaarghmed(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2021
Kanoski:

instead make u thank God for him you are saying advantages of a corolla.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Kanoski(m): 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2021
homeboy205:

Stop praising Corolla, the fuel tank positioning to the exhaust system is a flaw in design.

Lol...
No car is perfect oga...

The fact alone that even a roadside vulcanizer car repair derseves some praise..

Imagine what would have happened to him n his in that wilderness if it were another car.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by FEGEITOK: 9:39pm On Jan 20, 2021
Sankabson:

Can be dangerous doing trips cross country.

It has taken me to a dead end/abandoned roads before.

Very risk given the security situation in the country.

Always compare with information from those who ply the route to be safe.

9 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
Mayor555:

You don't know what you're talking about..

Well, if you continue using it, you will understand some day...

Don't worry, it won't be a costly one.

Leave am, Maps never carry am enter middle of village before. cheesy

8 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by naijadrivablog: 10:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
Chosen Mopol. I said that because your church is headquartered in Mgbidi and holds programme at Mgbidi every January.

That said, from Abia to Mgbidi is straightforward na. You for ask question if you no sabi read map or don't know your way.

From Abia/IMO bridge, drive straight (through Ngor Okpala-Naze-Owerri) to Control and turn right onto Owerri-Onitsha Road.

I don't understand how you got to Orlu. From Orlu Junction in Owerri to Awommama na small travel na

From the map below, MGBIDI is between Awomamma and Amorka (Anambra State).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Isuochi+Secondary+School,+Nkwoagu+Amuda+Isuochi/Awomama,+Awo-Omamma/@5.7720388,7.2266173,9z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x10431505a64dc8d9:0x6f38bac88fd08364!1m2!1m1!1s0x10425288ee8225bd:0xf31b5f5b01a41f6e!3e0

Na my area be that o
Re: My Near Death Experience by soulminister(m): 10:36pm On Jan 20, 2021
naijadrivablog:
Chosen Mopol. I said that because your church is headquartered in Mgbidi and holds programme at Mgbidi every January.

That said, from Abia to Mgbidi is straightforward na. You for ask question if you no sabi read map or don't know your way.

From Abia/IMO bridge, drive straight (through Ngor Okpala-Naze-Owerri) to Control and turn right onto Owerri-Onitsha Road.

I don't understand how you got to Orlu. From Orlu Junction in Owerri to Awommama na small travel na

From the map below, MGBIDI is between Awomamma and Amorka (Anambra State).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Isuochi+Secondary+School,+Nkwoagu+Amuda+Isuochi/Awomama,+Awo-Omamma/@5.7720388,7.2266173,9z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x10431505a64dc8d9:0x6f38bac88fd08364!1m2!1m1!1s0x10425288ee8225bd:0xf31b5f5b01a41f6e!3e0

Na my area be that o

Your direction is from aba to owerri. I know that route well. I was describing from isuochi to mgbidi. Isuochi is close to enugu. Coming down from there to owerrinta region is a very long journey. Best route was to follow okigwe.

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by replete(m): 3:29am On Jan 21, 2021
Sankabson:
Omo last year March I drove to Sapele from jos that thing took me into the bush/ dead end road and still telling me "your destination is on the right" inside bush when no be say Na babalawo I dey go see for inside sapele my body was just vibrating make bad boys no go attack me.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by weyreypey: 4:29am On Jan 21, 2021
Kanoski:

Lol...
No car is perfect oga...

The fact alone that even a roadside vulcanizer car repair derseves some praise..

Imagine what would have happened to him n his in that wilderness if it were another car.

The fact that it's stolen at the drop of a hat nkor

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 6:38am On Jan 21, 2021
Kanoski:

Lol...
No car is perfect oga...

If it were another car the exhaust wont have been placed on the plastic fuel tank

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 6:41am On Jan 21, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

You're very wrong. Havei have been using Google map since 2014 and it has been very reliable. Obviously there are no good roads around the OP's location cuz Google map route to the best and traffic free road for you to take. It even ask you before re-routing to a shortcut.

Lol I rather follow mass transit vehicles.

The "traffic free" road is usually the bad road nobody wants to pass
Google uses the density of phones in each location to determine traffic.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Kanoski(m): 9:32am On Jan 21, 2021
cluewebhost:

If it were another car the exhaust wont have been placed on the plastic fuel tank
Like I said...
No car is perfect...
They all have flaws
Re: My Near Death Experience by Kanoski(m): 9:35am On Jan 21, 2021
weyreypey:

The fact that it's stolen at the drop of a hat nkor
See err...
This corolla stealing na only 4 lagos..
Come to calabar or uyo...
U will see corolla packed outside on lonely streets...
Nothing happen..
Worst come to worst case scenario...
They carry ur battery grin

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by Ahmad62(m): 11:17am On Jan 21, 2021
Thank God for your life
Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 6:17am On Jan 22, 2021
Kanoski:

See err...
This corolla stealing na only 4 lagos..
Come to calabar or uyo...
U will see corolla packed outside on lonely streets...
Nothing happen..
Worst come to worst case scenario...
They carry ur battery grin

Gbam!
Them dey move Nissan sunny for Uyo or mini bus aka korokope. For Calabar, them dey move VW or audi anyhow if you loose guard.
Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 6:22am On Jan 22, 2021
cluewebhost:

Plastic tank is to prevent rust and electrostatics from causing leaks or electrical sparks and also to reduce weight and cut cost. It's a well taught out plan and design. Most modern cars use plastic tanks. I know a corolla has heat shield that's integrated around the exhaust pipe just shielding the heat from reaching the tank just like most other cars. Your car breaking the exhaust, losing that heat shield and damaging your tank is no fault of Toyota but yours.
Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 6:25am On Jan 22, 2021
Let's be honest,

You wont have typed all this if car in question was a Ford Edge grin

kingreign:

Plastic tank is to prevent rust and electrostatics from causing leaks or electrical sparks and also to reduce weight and cut cost. It's a well taught out plan and design. Most modern cars use plastic tanks. I know a corolla has heat shield that's integrated around the exhaust pipe just shielding the heat from reaching the tank just like most other cars. Your car breaking the exhaust, losing that heat shield and damaging your tank is no fault of Toyota but yours.

& I'm yet to see a car with a non plastic fuel tank so that wasnt even my point.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 6:27am On Jan 22, 2021
homeboy205:

Oga, no pun intended but you have nothing tangible and credible to talk about when it comes to placement of tank and its design.
Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 6:27am On Jan 22, 2021
cluewebhost:
Let's be honest,

You wont have typed all this if car in question was a Ford Edge grin

I have a Ford edge in my garage, its same thing. No need to argue.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 6:45am On Jan 22, 2021
Its not about having a Ford Edge (that's deflecting, same as making plastic tanks the point when post quoted only talked of the exhaust being on the tank) ,

This is about being emotionally vested with and always ready to defend the "perfect" Corolla

& you know it smiley.

kingreign:

I have a Ford edge in my garage, its same thing. No need to argue.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 6:55am On Jan 22, 2021
cluewebhost:
Its not about having a Ford Edge (that's deflecting, same as making plastic tanks the point when post quoted only talked of the exhaust being on the tank) ,

This is about being emotionally vested with and always ready to defend the "perfect" Corolla

& you know it smiley.

Have you cared to look at that picture I screenshot and uploaded? If yes, case closed, if no, then no need arguing.
A clearer picture uploaded for doubting Thomases.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 7:16am On Jan 22, 2021
Should I call him? grin
kingreign:

Have you cared to look at that picture I screenshot and uploaded? If yes, case closed, if no, then no need arguing.
A clearer picture uploaded for doubting Thomases.

I wonder how much Corolla pays you people

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by kingreign(m): 7:20am On Jan 22, 2021
cluewebhost:
Should I call him? grin

I wonder how much Corolla pays you people
To even make matters interesting, I've not owned a corolla as a personal car. I don't fancy Toyota design thoughts or approach but I respect them for what they've been able to achieve. I don't have anything called brand loyalty in my dictionary.

As for the moniker you're trying to stir up against me, feel free it's your desire I got no problem with nobody.

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Kanoski(m): 8:21am On Jan 22, 2021
kingreign:

Gbam!
Them dey move Nissan sunny for Uyo or mini bus aka korokope. For Calabar, them dey move VW or audi anyhow if you loose guard.
Yunno it boss..

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by cluewebhost(m): 8:34am On Jan 22, 2021
Last last who dey pay me too sef angry

Let me answer my Oga.

kingreign:

To even make matters interesting, I've not owned a corolla as a personal car. I don't fancy Toyota design thoughts or approach but I respect them for what they've been able to achieve. I don't have anything called brand loyalty in my dictionary.

As for the moniker you're trying to stir up against me, feel free it's your desire I got no problem with nobody.

That interaction was funny af though

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Need Of An Android Screen For My Car / Corolla 2009: AC & Radiator Issue / My New Honda Accord 2003 Is A Guzzler!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.