Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,002 members, 7,810,788 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 (1892 Views)

Redmi 9 Unboxing And Quick Review (photos) / Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 7: An Essential Duel. / Infinix Zero 5 Vs Infinix Zero 4 Plus Camera Comparison(with PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2021
The midrange market is one of the hotly contested parts of the smartphone market. Today we are going to shine our spotlight on two very popular phones, pitting them against each other. We have the Xiaomi Redmi 9 vs Infinix Note 8.

The Xiaomi Redmi 9 is marketed as a budget device and sold as such despite having the specs that will rival any midrange phone. The Infinix Note 8 is full blooded midranger and it is marketed and sold as such. With both phones fiercely competing with each other in the market, a lot of consumers may be a bit confused as to which is the better option, or which one provides the best value for the price offered.

Redmi 9 vs Infinix Note 8

Build
The phones are built with plastic. They both have a plastic frame and a plastic back. The Infinix Note 8 weighs a hefty 206g while the Redmi 9 is slightly lighter at 198g.

Processors
Both the Xiaomi Redmi 9 and the Infinix Note 8 both use the Mediatek Helio G80. The Mediatek G80 is an octacore SoC with two ARM Cortex A75 CPU cores clocked at 2.0Ghz and six ARM Cortex A55 clocked at 1.8Ghz. The GPU on board is the Mali G52 EEMC2.

Software and Support
Both phones run on Android 10. Although the Redmi 9 runs on Xiaomi’s MIUI 11 (upgradeable to MIUI 12) while the Infinix Note 8 has XoS 7 installed. The Redmi 9 has better software support. It is upgradeable to Android 11 and would get at least two generations of updates from its parent company. The Infinix Note 8 on the other hand is stuck on Android 10 and wouldn’t get further updates beyond security patches.

Memory
Both phones due to their identical SoC, use the same LPDDR4x RAM and eMMC 5.1 of internal memory. The base version of the Redmi 9 comes in 3/32GB, 4/64GB or 6/128GB while Infinix Note 8 ships with 6/128GB.

Performance
Both phones use a similar SoC and so the performance between them is very close. The Redmi 9 has a slightly better Antutu benchmark of 203,078 when compared to the 203,000 from the Infinix Note 8.

Camera
The Redmi 9 has a triple camera set up.
• Main camera: 13MP (wide) by Omnivision, f/2.2 aperture, 1.12um (pixel size) and a sensor size of 1/3.06”
• Ultrawide camera: 8MP by Samsung (S5K4H7), f/2.2 aperture, 1.12um (pixel size) and a sensor size of 1/4”
• Macro camera: 5MP (generic), f/2.2 aperture, both pixels size and sensor sizes are unknown.
Selfie: 8MP (generic), f/2.0 aperture, both pixels size and sensor sizes are unknown.

The Infinix Note 8 has a quad camera set up.
• Main camera: 64MP (wide) (Generic) , f/1.9 aperture, 0.8um (pixel size) and the sensor size is unknown.
• Ultrawide camera: 2MP (Generic), f/2.2 aperture, pixel size and sensor size are unknown.
• Depth sensor: 2MP (Generic), aperture, pixel and sensor sizes are unknown.
• QVGA sensor: 2MP (Generic), aperture, pixel and sensor sizes are unknown.
Selfie: 16MP (generic), f/2.2 aperture, both pixels size and sensor sizes are unknown.

Photos
The Infinix Note 8 has only one useful camera which is the 64MP main camera. The rest are duds. The Xiaomi Redmi 9 has what seems to be on paper the inferior main camera, but the main shooter is made by Omnivision. The 64MP on the Infinix is going to be binned back to 16MP. The pixels on the Redmi 9’s main shooter are two times bigger than those on the Infinix and would have better and brighter pictures. Where the Infinix shines is in terms of resolution. The ultrawide and the macro on the Redmi 9 are very decent while those on the Infinix are plain useless. MIUI’s photo software algorithm is also better than that of the XoS.

Videos
In the video department however, the Infinix Note 8 shoots videos of 1440p (@30fps) which are of a higher resolution than those shot by the Redmi 9. This is because it’s main camera has a higher resolution. The Redmi 9 shoots videos of 1080p (@30fps). The front facing selfies of both phones shoot videos of 1080p (@30fps).

Display
Both devices also use an IPS LCD display. The Infinix has a huge 6.95″ screen and a tall 21:9 aspect ratio. The display has a resolution of 720p (HD+) but has a weak pixel density of 258ppi. The Redmi 9 has a smaller 6.53” screen and a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. The display has a resolution of 1080p (FHD+) and a good pixel density of 395ppi.

The Infinix Note 8 has the brighter screen at 480 nit but lacks screen protection of any kind. The Redmi 9 has lesser brightness at 400 nit but has a Gorilla Glass 3 to protect the screen from scratches and accidental falls.

Battery
The Infinix Note 8 has a huge Li-poly 5200mAh battery and it supports 18W fast charge. The Redmi 9 has the smaller battery of the duo at 5000mAh and also supports 18W fast charge as well.

Audio
The Redmi 9 has a 0.7cc speaker while the Infinix Note 8 uses DTS/Stereo speakers.

Sensors
Both phones have fingerprint sensors for security, the Infinix Note 8 has a side-mounted finger print reader while the Redmi 9 has a rear mounted finger print sensor. They also both have proximity sensors, ambient light sensors, accelerometers, and compass. The Infinix Note 8 has a gyroscope which the Redmi 9 lacks.

Connectivity
The two phones both have dual 4G sim slots and support bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40 and 41. They also both support Bluetooth 5.0, USB type C and VoLTE. The Redmi 9 also supports NFC for wireless payments which the Infinix Note 8 lacks.

Prices
The Redmi 9 sells for ₦66,900 for the 4/64GB version. The Infinix Note 8 sells for ₦99,500 for the 6/128GB. All prices are courtesy of Slot and Pointek.

Verdict
Build: tie
Performance: Redmi 9
Camera: Infinix Note 8
Display: Redmi 9
Battery: Infinix Note 8
Sensors: Infinix Note 8
Connectivity: Redmi 9
Support: Redmi 9
Price: Redmi 9

In truth both phones are closely matched, the performance difference the both of them is very negligible. The Infinix has a much better main camera but the supporting camera sensors aren’t of much use other than aesthetics. The display is where the Redmi 9 stands heads and shoulders above the Infinix Note 8. FHD+ and 395ppi are miles ahead of HD+ and 258ppi.

Infinix Note 8 has a gyroscope which the Redmi 9 lacks. The gyroscope is very important for gaming and virtual reality apps. The Redmi 9 has NFC while the Infinix Note 8 does not. For the price, the Redmi 9 is my go-to-device, if you can ignore the absence of a gyroscope. If you can’t, then you would have to spend more and go for the Infinix Note 8.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/01/23/redmi-9-vs-infinix-note-8/

You can find me on Facebook, Instagram and Telegram (I'm more active here). Simply search for Inquisitiveuniverse. You can also click my username for more interesting topics.

As usual, comments, contributions and criticism are highly welcome. You should take a look at my site too. There's plenty of topics to keep you engaged.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by XFrozen: 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2021
Xiaomi Makerter ....Very funny

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by The5DME(m): 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2021
Bros na money I need to buy all these phones.
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by talktalk4u: 8:26pm On Jan 23, 2021
you forgot to add after sales service -- Which infinix wins 10000000%. buy xiaomi and when the phone develops problem you go start to they run like mad man for computer village

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 8:31pm On Jan 23, 2021
XFrozen:

If I was incorrect about anything. Please kindly share it.

This was one week of painstaking research.

If you have facts to counter. I await your submission.

5 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 8:32pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:
you forgot to add after sales service -- Which infinix wins 10000000%. buy xiaomi and when the phone develops problem you go start to they run like mad man for computer village

Lol. grin grin grin
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by Ottyn01(m): 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2021
Two crap of shitt grin grin

Is either Samsung/iPhone or nothing

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 8:37pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

After sales service is not a phone spec sha.

14 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by talktalk4u: 8:40pm On Jan 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

Lol. grin grin grin
Xiaomi is like agege bread
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by talktalk4u: 8:42pm On Jan 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

After sales service is not a phone spec sha.
Oga that is the first thing to look out for when buying a phone ... infinix has warranty and after sales service ..Your contract ends with xiaomi immediately you leave that phone shop any problem u see is on you and to repair is like wanting to visit heaven when u are not dead

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 8:48pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:
Oga that is the first thing to look out for when buying a phone ... infinix has warranty and after sales service ..Your contract ends with xiaomi immediately you leave that phone shop any problem u see is on you and to repair is like wanting to visit heaven when u are not dead

It's still not a phone spec.

After sales service is neither hardware nor software bros.

Is it a phone feature?

13 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by FryMosquito: 8:53pm On Jan 23, 2021
This's a well detailed comparison.. Kudos bro

But I will like you to give more details about the the quality of parts used in building this phones.

For me quality first.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by KrazyDave16(m): 8:56pm On Jan 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

Is it a phone feature?
Sometimes it's best not to argue.

After screaming after sale services here, most of them won't near carlcare cos its "too expensive".

10 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by talktalk4u: 9:04pm On Jan 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

Is it a phone feature?

Software and Support
Both phones run on Android 10. Although the Redmi 9 runs on Xiaomi’s MIUI 11 (upgradeable to MIUI 12) while the Infinix Note 8 has XoS 7 installed. The Redmi 9 has better software support. It is upgradeable to Android 11 and would get at least two generations of updates from its parent company. The Infinix Note 8 on the other hand is stuck on Android 10 and wouldn’t get further updates beyond security patches.

This part you are not true ...

how did you know infinix will not give update?

did you hear them say so or just said it on your own ..

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by luvyaself95(m): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

Oga my Xiaomi Redmi 7A i bought from someone here since last year September till today it never has single fault, even my next phone it going to be because my current one is doing Beyond my expectations.
so saying this about Xiaomi is spoiling their good reputation.

9 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by Kessnorman: 9:12pm On Jan 23, 2021
I thought we have gotten passed this argument
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 9:15pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

Software and Support

Infinix Note 8 is not going to get Android 11.

Just XoS updates and security patches.

How much are you willing to bet?

9 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by atheistandproud(m): 9:25pm On Jan 23, 2021
FryMosquito:

But I will like you to give more details about the the quality of parts used in building this phones.

For me quality first.

I have detailed everything as much as I can.
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by Minjim: 9:42pm On Jan 23, 2021
I've been using redmi 7 for two years now and the phone can fall anyhow.
I must say, I have never had any reason to repair.
The phone is rugged.
I getting that Note 9 this year Gods willing
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by Rareoil(m): 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

Software and Support

Making provision for software updates is difficult for some OEMs
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by edoairways: 9:50pm On Jan 23, 2021
atheistandproud:

Infinix Note 8 is not going to get Android 11.

Just XoS updates and security patches.

How much are you willing to bet?
Ok
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by chariisGRACE(m): 9:51pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

Shebi Apple get after sales service for this Nigeria?

talktalk4u:
Software and Support

Which day Infinix start to give update to phones running on XOS?

9 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by visiondee(m): 11:00pm On Jan 23, 2021
To be honest.... Xiaomi phone is very strong, I've been using my Note 8 pro since 2019, no issue what so ever, during the early purchase of it, if the phone fall, na high BP, I go almost wan cry, but to discover na fall and pick. Apart from the back glass alone that got broken due to heavy fall and rebouncing multiple times which I thought end had come to it on that fateful day. But now, I don't even give a damn any longer when it falls again. Sometimes people around me will scream, I will just laugh and pick it.
Another thing is it doesn't lag, mine Redmi note 8 pro is of 6/128g which I've used up to 99% of the memory, but it has never hang for once or slow down. The battery is also great. As it is, that I want to change my phone is nothing but I just want to upgrade to newest version which is Xiaomi 10 ultra or 11

11 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by DarkJeddi(m): 11:48pm On Jan 23, 2021
XFrozen:
What exactly is funny about the comparison?

4 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by DarkJeddi(m): 11:51pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:
Yeah,with Infinix you need all the neighborhood Calcare Centers you can get.. angry

4 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by DarkJeddi(m): 11:52pm On Jan 23, 2021
talktalk4u:

Software and Support

Because Infinix doesn't get software support..
Are they suddenly born again?

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by DarkJeddi(m): 11:56pm On Jan 23, 2021
FryMosquito:

For me quality first.
Quality?

Xiaomi is a world class company with presence in Europe and the Americas,can the same be said of Infinix?

5 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by Ayomideen(m): 12:11am On Jan 24, 2021
Nice post OP, I like how you calmed down to explain the upsides and downsides of each phone.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by adedotun69229: 5:28am On Jan 24, 2021
:Lol. Xiaomi is like agege bread
Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by FryMosquito: 6:28am On Jan 24, 2021
DarkJeddi:
Quality?

Xiaomi is a world class company with presence in Europe and the Americas,can the same be said of Infinix?
That's why I want op to pieces that quality area for us to know the one we will trust in terms of quality. But applying common sense Xiaomi products is quality built, cos I'm seeing people here trying to sell Xiaomi note 4 of 2017 that looks sound without depreciating in quality

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 9 Vs Infinix Note 8 by FryMosquito: 6:32am On Jan 24, 2021
Minjim:
I've been using redmi 7 for two years now and the phone can fall anyhow.
I must say, I have never had any reason to repair.
The phone is rugged.
I getting that Note 9 this year Gods willing
Reserve ur money, note 10 is coming this February

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oppo A93 For Sale / Samsung S4 32gb Vs HTC M8 / Huawei Ascend P7 Mini Features, Specs & Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.