Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP (1028 Views)

I'm about to drop out of school!!!...I'm in serious depression!!!... Help!!! / Start Teaching What You Love Online And Offline / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Pelumi444: 6:13pm On Jan 26, 2021
I'll be making this piece very short. OK, I got a teaching Job, although I don't like it, I can speak very well and fluently. I just don't know how to go about teaching and how to Introduce my topics every morning Lol cos I haven't taught before.

For those that have taught before please help me out on how to be confident when teaching my pupils. Although I find teaching very very hard to do, would have preferred an office, IT work though but I don't have a choice at the Moment. I just need tips on how to be a very good teacher. I'll appreciate your help. Thanks

PS. It's Jss3 or ss1 I'll be handling. Thanks

Lalasticlala
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by qwertyboss(m): 6:37pm On Jan 26, 2021
Pelumi444:
I'll be making this piece very short. OK, I got a teaching Job, although I don't like it, I can speak very well and fluently. I just don't know how to go about teaching and how to Introduce my topics every morning Lol cos I haven't taught before.

For those that have taught before please help me out on how to be confident when teaching my pupils. Although I find teaching very very hard to do, would have preferred an office, IT work though but I don't have a choice at the Moment. I just need tips on how to be a very good teacher. I'll appreciate your help. Thanks

Lalasticlala
don't stress yourself it just like presentation...
know what you want to teach them very well,
they are just kids you need to keep your calm and confidently deliver the lesson...
you can do it
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by salisuammy(f): 6:55pm On Jan 26, 2021
Just calm down dear. After a while, you will get used to it. My first time teaching was hilarious. Though I am no more in the field but I cherish the memories shared with my learners.
You will love it.

1 Like

Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by illicit(m): 7:17pm On Jan 26, 2021
Just take it easy....

Yes, I am a teacher

1 Like

Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by doctorexcel: 7:19pm On Jan 26, 2021
Cool down, no cause for alarm. Your 1st teaching period in all the classes for the 1st day should be purely revision of their last topic. Go over it with them while juggling their knowledge of it without necessarily stressing them. Watch out for the intelligent among them, direct your questions to them without paying too much attention to them. Make your classes interractive as much as possible. Avoid unnecessary joke that can make your class rowdy. Be yourself without losing control and moderation.

2 Likes

Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by mubzynani: 7:32pm On Jan 26, 2021
Teaching is fun. Fear not. You can do it.
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by bumeks(f): 7:38pm On Jan 26, 2021
Teaching is the most interesting and enjoyable work to do. Just know ur topic very well, master ur skills and the more you teach the lessed tensed u become.
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:09pm On Jan 26, 2021
Don't stress yourself you were once like those pupils. Flashback the ways some of your teachers teaches you back then.when you enter class
*introduce yourself
* Little exercise like breath in/out
*interact with them
*most important asks questions and take your time to explain to them please don't uses cane

1 Like

Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by DesChyko: 9:17pm On Jan 26, 2021
Well, see it this way. You have the better experience.

So ultimately, you'll have to let them know what they don't know.

That alone is enough to let you believe you can't go really wrong, especially if you back up what you don't know with preparation.
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Sam0(m): 9:21pm On Jan 26, 2021
First of all they are not pupils but students.Have self confidence and be prepared before you entered the class.if you know the subject so well no need to be scared.secondly be a jovial teacher,crack little jokes when teaching and at the same time don't let your students be carried away by the joke Cus its meant to relieve them some stress.
Start your lesson by revising the previous lesson you have taught if there is any before introducing the new topic.make ur class an interactive one,give the students room to contribute to the lesson.By the time u teach like 3 or 4 times shyness or whatever would have gone
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by milcah5050: 10:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
Teaching is the most interesting and enjoyable work to do. Just know ur topic very well, master ur skills and the more you teach the lessed tensed u become.
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by igbowoman: 3:32am On Jan 27, 2021
Use the first day as an introductory day.
Tell the class about yourself and tell them to all introduce themselves and say one fun fact about themselves like their best foods favorite person, hobby,what they want to study in the university etc

Then use the rest of the time to give them an overview of what you will be teaching this semester,if you will do quizzes,tell them your teaching style and what you expect of them.

This is a good way to begin.
I wish you well in your teaching career
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Richy4(m): 6:32am On Jan 27, 2021
I was like you during my NYSC days long time ago...

wetin i do be say, I enter SS2 class with match box, tell them say make they introduce their seating partner the very first day as they light the match stick...If the match stick quench, the person go stop.. another go light and introduce the other.. I tell them say na to know if they know their class member and to figure out if they sabi speak grammar... but the truth be say na to calm my nerves smiley

They were extremely happy and felt that it was fun.. That basically relaxed my nerves big time and I was able to go back the next day without qualms
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by LordIsaac(m): 6:41am On Jan 27, 2021
Pelumi444:

Lalasticlala
You will soon see that you can only keep your job when you worship the kids and their parents. Wrong time to teach in secondary schools. But as for me, I still discipline any rascal that tries nonsense. They haven't been able to sack me because, I'm doing it by God's grace very well. grin
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by nelsonebby(m): 7:00am On Jan 27, 2021
Pelumi444:

Lalasticlala
The lesson plan should guide you.
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by femi4: 7:09am On Jan 27, 2021
Pelumi444:

Lalasticlala
lol, its quite easy. Have a guide or lesson note

Prepare before each class, don't just do copy n paste of the textbook for them

Make your class interactive. Don't spoon feed them. Let them tell you what they know about each topic before you tell them what they don't know.

Always end each class with recap or revision questions
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Pelumi444: 8:59am On Jan 27, 2021
Thanks all for this. I appreciate, I'll still need more advice though, my nerves are calm right now grin grin
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by djoe21(m): 9:31am On Jan 27, 2021
Just remember it could have been worse, SS2 or SS3. grin
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by wiseone28: 9:32am On Jan 27, 2021
Op i was like u before..

grin

Na so nysc go send u go school to teach without a single teaching experience..
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by demsy21(m): 10:57am On Jan 27, 2021
It's one of the most enjoyable job you could ever have. Unfortunately, here in Nigeria, the prestige and reward that ought to be attached to it is decreasing as days goes on.
You will get over it, don't worry yourself!
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Satoshi2019: 1:47pm On Jan 27, 2021
Start by liking the job. Other things will follow
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by NeoWanZaeed(m): 2:37pm On Jan 27, 2021
i d0nt kn0w who might need this. if u can teach maths and physics. Ur service is needed in a school in osogbo. O8one34015464. Its manageable only for someone in osogbo
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Pelumi444: 9:28pm On Jan 27, 2021
wiseone28:
Op i was like u before..

grin

Na so nysc go send u go school to teach without a single teaching experience..

Lol, how did you cope
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by wiseone28: 9:41pm On Jan 27, 2021
Pelumi444:
Lol, how did you cope
Since it was north they hardly understand English grin

Even if you teach nonsense they will not know
Re: I'm About To Start Teaching. Please HELP by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 27, 2021
Everyone is just busy telling op to calm down, you can do it, without practical steps on how to go about it.

First and foremost, understand the topic you wanna teach. Then study the introduction part to enable you explain it very well to them after reading it out to them.

So you can have something like this.

Good morning class.

So, today we'll be looking at Reproduction. What did I say? And theyll all chorus.. REPRODUCTION... then you say. Good!

Then you can proceed to reading out the introduction. After which you'll explain further to them and then move to demonstrate what you're saying either by writing it on the board for them or with instructional materials for them to get a better picture of all You're saying. Then proceed to other aspects of the lesson giving examples with things they can relate with as you go.

Then end by asking questions and giving room for them to ask you questions.

Teaching is fun. I love it cos it makes me feel like the boss.

Also very important is maintaining eye contact with your pupils. So they take you seriously.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Made You Famous In Secondary School / ASUU Ends Warning Action May Begin Indefinite Strike -legitloaded / Take Courses Online In Coursera Without Paying A Dime For Tuition Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.