Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,686 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant (63664 Views)

‘I Rely On Sex Work To Survive,’ - Policewoman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 1:47am On Jan 27, 2021
lastpage:

I am sure you read where "Gazetted" was explained.
Once something becomes LAW, it must be obeyed by all and sundry.
Gazetting or not, does not REPEAL a Law.
Illiterate
grin
you are the illiterate here, not until it is gazetted, nobody in the force will obey this. You guys like arguing what you don't know

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 1:49am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

People have the right to plan their personal lives however they want. Collecting bribe is illegal. Getting pregnant is not. Yet, the police force sacks someone for the later and not the former. That's blind sexism.
when facts are presented, don't corrupt activities get punished? Lemme hear you say no to this
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 1:50am On Jan 27, 2021
Ferdinandu:
As far as am concerned this is Gender discrimination because a typical Nigerian Policeman must impregnate a woman any state he is posted to so why should women own be different lipsrsealed
the policemen don get maternity leaves, they don't bring pregnancy to work.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 1:52am On Jan 27, 2021
lastpage:

She should get a good Lawyer and take the matter to Court, seek among other compensations, a restatement to her duties.
Everything is not noise on Social Media.

The Law is the Law.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Nobody: 1:56am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin no my dear, she is a constable who passed out april 2020
Are you a personnel?
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 1:58am On Jan 27, 2021
sapphiere:
Are you a personnel?
yes
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by IYANGBALI: 1:58am On Jan 27, 2021
mynd44 see as your sister go fall our hand for police station o

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
I will clear you on this. There are different duties being assigned to police women and 90% of the times, you carry out these duties while on uniform. When pregnant, a women is issued "excuse uniform" as it is called in the force. It's a signed document that permits you not to wear your uniform, without it, you will be punished if you are found on such duty without uniform. P.S this document is only given to married women (married in the force, I am sure I explained this before).

After given her that document, she will be posted to counter duty (she will stay at the counter till her maternity leave begins), all assigned roles at the counter requires uniform hence she will be given the role of "available" which does not require uniform.

In a division with low strength (manpower) and they have like three pregnant women at the counter as available, do you know what that means to them?

Now, newly passed out constables are expected to work at least 2years before marriage, they are usually posted to cover up counter duties, now this same constable is pregnant. Like seriously! Why did you think they enforce the rule of compulsory 2years before marriage? You just think the whole world hate women and are trying to oppress them? Kindly think this through
Most of the women working in State CID don't wear uniform.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
yes
Ok case closed.
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by stayclearofme: 2:03am On Jan 27, 2021
gaius01:
Arrrrrrrh

Good riddance. She can't ask for maternity leave when she's not married. As a police personnel decorum should be regard with high esteem.
Which part of the law says she must be married to seek for maternity leave? What police decorum are you talking about! Is it the same police that collect bribe and harass people? The same police that are worst than armed robbers? Is it the same police that have different children from different women? Nothing is done about all that but they are busy chasing shadows... decorum my foot!

2 Likes

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:03am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
section 274 police act and regulations bothering conduct of police women.

Ryan03:
no dear, there is no inhumane act here. I hate it when people flaunt rules, you knew the consequences but still went ahead. She made her choice. I support the decision

You mean the section about dismissal of unmarried pregnant women? I think it's section 127. That was written in 1943 when women didn't have the right to direct make their own life choices and was recently repealed by the Nigeria Police Force (Establishment) Act 2020 signed into law last year. That law is not longer valid. It's shameful the police cited it but even more embarrassing that Nairaland boys are more sentimental than logical whenever a woman is involved. The same people that call women fish brain.

Anyway, seeing that she didn't break any law, tell me again why she should be sacked cause of her life choices?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:03am On Jan 27, 2021
sapphiere:
Most of the women working in State CID don't wear uniform.
that is just a part of it that is why I said 90% those women work under investigation, you don't wear uniform for that. A pregnant woman will not be assigned investigation duties, highest she can do is to help record statement And leave the rest to others
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:04am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
when facts are presented, don't corrupt activities get punished? Lemme hear you say no to this

They do cause what they do is against the law. Is a police woman getting pregnant against the law? Before you answer, do your reading.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:08am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
this is not promoting sexism, if truly this law is not there, alot of single ladies will turn up pregnant at the station, who will cover their duties considering that they are entitled to 4months maternity leave? Let's be considerate here. It's just two yrs, two yrs and you are free to do police marriage and have your kids, is that too much to ask?

First, the law is not there. And Ryan, the idea that the old law was the only thing stoping Nigerian police women from getting pregnant is ridiculous. Now it has been repealed, have they all gotten pregnant?

If a woman wants to stay single, let her be the architect of her life. It's time we stopped dictating to women what to do and how to do it.
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:08am On Jan 27, 2021
sapphiere:
Ok case closed.
you couldn't argue with facts of sexism hence you ended here. I have always thought your idea of feminism is ok but seeing this today, nah nah. You are just harboring hate hence you allow it cloud your judgement, you just can't see the fault of a woman, she is always right because she is a woman.

These rules were on ground before she came into the force, she was told, she accepted and came in but end up flaunting it and expecting a tap on the back. She should have rejected the job if she can't comply, but you have to support her cause she is a woman.

As a woman, you can flaunt rules at work and expect everyone to kiss your ass.

2 Likes

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:12am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

First, the law is not there. And Ryan, the idea that the old law was the only thing stoping Nigerian police women from getting pregnant is ridiculous. Now it has been repealed, have they all gotten pregnant?

If a woman wants to stay single, let her be the architect of her life. It's time we stopped dictating to women what to do and how to do it.
the law is not there? Lol, you have to wait for gazetting. She want to be the architect of her life? No one is stopping here, she can be self employed.

You can't come to my company with already set rules, you read and agreed and then tell me you want to be that architect of your life by breaking those rules. That's just fvcked up

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:14am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
you forget that men dont get pregnant, women do. She knew she will bear the consequences alone (if it's a policeman involved). This girls are something else, they pass out from college and once posted, they start sleeping with everyone who ask them out because of the money spent on them. Pls don't argue this, I have lots of them in my division. It's crazy, not even up to a year in the force and you are pregnant? Not like you are oblivious to the rules

This is not a discussion of promiscuity cause men are leading in that area. This is a discussion of equity and justice and as far as that goes, there's no need arguing this. Men don't get pregnant and that is why have equity to balance things out. Women getting pregnant is natural and shouldn't be a reason to sack anybody. Marriage is a choice.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:15am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

They do cause what they do is against the law. Is a police woman getting pregnant against the law? Before you answer, do your reading.
a police woman getting pregnant before completion of her two yrs in service is against the law.
A police woman who is unmarried in the force getting pregnant is against the law.
If it was not, no one would have been able to dismiss her.
You think her dpo have power to dismiss her? Before she is dismissed, she have to go through orderly room trial, a trial that is not conducted by one person. Everyone just hate her I guess

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:18am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
the law is not there? Lol, you have to wait for gazetting. She want to be the architect of her life? No one is stopping here, she can be self employed.

You can't come to my company with already set rules, you read and agreed and then tell me you want to be that architect of your life by breaking those rules. That's just fvcked up

That the law is not gazzeted doesn't make it less valid. The law became valid the day it was signed. The police can only use the fact that it has not been circulated to claim ignorance. This fact invalidates your second paragraph.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:19am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

You mean the section about dismissal of unmarried pregnant women? I think it's section 127. That was written in 1943 when women didn't have the right to direct make their own life choices and was recently repealed by the Nigeria Police Force (Establishment) Act 2020 signed into law last year. That law is not longer valid. It's shameful the police cited it but even more embarrassing that Nairaland boys are more sentimental than logical whenever a woman is involved. The same people that call women fish brain.

Anyway, seeing that she didn't break any law, tell me again why she should be sacked cause of her life choices?
127? Gracias! Repelled in Sept 2020 and hasn't been gazetted? C'mon! In the force, any law that hasn't been gazetted is like a bill. It can't hold. She should have waited till then.

If you say women have no right to make their life choices then, what about now? Was she forced into the force? Why accept what you can't comply with? Didn't she swear to obey all rules of the force diligently?

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:20am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
a police woman getting pregnant before completion of her two yrs in service is against the law.
A police woman who is unmarried in the force getting pregnant is against the law.
If it was not, no one would have been able to dismiss her.
You think her dpo have power to dismiss her? Before she is dismissed, she have to go through orderly room trial, a trial that is not conducted by one person. Everyone just hate her I guess

You are quoting an old law that was replaced in 2020. You can go ahead with that for as long as you want but that doesn't justify sacking her.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:22am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
127? Gracias! Repelled in Sept 2020 and hasn't been gazetted? C'mon! In the force, any law that hasn't been gazetted is like a bill. It can't hold. She should have waited till then.

If you say women have no right to make their life choices then, what about now? Was she forced into the force? Why accept what you can't comply with? Didn't she swear to obey all rules of the force diligently?

Laws not gazzeted are not used to take actions in the police force because they aren't yet circulated. But provided the signature date predates the date of pregnancy, the law can be cited in the law court, gazzeted or not.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:23am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

You are quoting an old law that replaced in 2020. You can go ahead with that for as long as you want but that doesn't justify sacking her.
I wish I can face palm! Since you say it's an old law, let's wait for her reinstatement. Lol, not a snow ball chance in hell.

Justify? All that was needed to dismiss her was the punishment attached to her being pregnant before completion of her two yr term and being unmarried

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:26am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

That the law is not gazzeted doesn't make it less valid. The law became valid the say it was signed. The police can only use the fact that it has been circulated to claim ignorance. This fact invalidates your second paragraph.
I will say no more. Keep your fingers crossed for her reinstatement. If she is being oppressed, why are policewoman not speaking up? Or they all hate her too? Just so you know, her sentence was passed by senior women police officers according to set rules. If the so called law have taken effect, so al the senior police women just decided to dismiss her for nothing? Make una still try dey think na

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:27am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Laws not gazzeted are not used to take actions in the police force because of they aren't yet circulated. But provided the signature date predates the date of pregnancy, the law can be cited in the law court, gazzeted or not.
go court my sister. Infact, you can help her case

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:28am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
I wish I can face palm! Since you say it's an old law, let's wait for her reinstatement. Lol, not a snow ball chance in hell.

Justify? All that was needed to dismiss her was the punishment attached to her being pregnant before completion of her two yr term and being unmarried

I wasn't expecting her to be reinstated. Not while she's still in Nigeria where women are voiceless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:31am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
I will say no more. Keep your fingers crossed for her reinstatement. If she is being oppressed, why are policewoman not speaking up? Or they all hate her too? Just so you know, her sentence was passed by senior women police officers according to set rules. If the so called law have taken effect, so al the senior police women just decided to dismiss her for nothing? Make una still try dey think na

This same rule you're celebrating today has been amended. I wonder how you feel knowing your gazzeting excuse won't last for long. Keep celebrating discrimination, it's nothing new.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:31am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

I wasn't expecting her to be reinstated. Not while she's still in Nigeria where women are voiceless.
voiceless, no. She was given a chance to plead her case in trial, she should have told them the old law has been repealed.

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by Ryan03(f): 2:35am On Jan 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

This same rule you're celebrating today has been amended. I wonder how you feel knowing your gazzeting 4excuse won't last for long. Keep celebrating discrimination, it's nothing new.
amended? Yes, wait till it takes effect. Too long for her I guess. I have never discriminated against a women but I cannot see the truth and turn a blind eye because she is a woman. You accuse me of celebrating discrimination? Where is your proof?

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by WoundedLamb: 2:43am On Jan 27, 2021
Ryan03:
amended? Yes, wait till it takes effect. Too long for her I guess. I have never discriminated against a women but I cannot see the truth and turn a blind eye because she is a woman. You accuse me of celebrating discrimination? Where is your proof?

Proof? Lol... dude, the fact that you, who seem to know a lot about the police force, is adamant to acknowledge the fact that gazzeting is a mere administrative process that doesn't invalidate any signed law but would rather hold on tightly to an already repealed law which also requires women to seek permission from thier superior before getting married only goes to show your sexism.
Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by nick50(m): 2:44am On Jan 27, 2021
I knew her name immediately I finished reading d headline.. Ask me how!!

1 Like

Re: Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant by damijoe77: 2:59am On Jan 27, 2021
TheStakeHolder:
Just imagine...

The man wey nack am fit no stay reach 5 minutes before e release like that...

See wetin 5 minutes knacking fit cause...

Corporal Omolola don get belle, shakara don end...
Constable not corporal.olodo,otondo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

High Paying Skills You Need To Learn In Nigeria. / Oge Kate: EBSU Graduate Does Charcoal Business For For A Living / Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.