Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 (8164 Views)

Missing Certificate: I Made Second Best Result In 1976 – Okowa / Governor Akeredolu And Ayodele Adigun In 1976 Vs 2020 (Photos) / How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by beehivedata(m): 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2021
unbelievable
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by sweetonugbu: 4:15pm On Jan 27, 2021
Omihanifa:
The former picture is better than the current picture. The above picture can be used in describing the current situation of Nigeria
(Backwardness and stagnation)
gbamest
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Funkeshuga(m): 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
jayworld15:
Where’s that useless Mannabbqzombie?
He should come and tell us if Nigeria is getting there steady though slowly. Zombies won’t see how decaying their society has become over the years. They are complacent about the current situation but in con artistry and blind nepotism.

mannabbqzombie will disappear into the air after Buhari tenure, you won't see that moniker on this forum post 2023

he was planted here to worship and praise Buhari failure

2 Likes

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Rugaria: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
Grgton:
I'm speechless !
Jokes apart, it's nonplussing! This is not stagnation. This is retrogression! This country is "developing" backwards..

3 Likes

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by heniford2: 4:48pm On Jan 27, 2021
IamAtikulate:

Where did you see recent Toyota in the 1976 image? You are seeing BP (Bristish Petroleum) and you are still arguing.

I must confess, Awo tried for his people. Ibadan was really developed before but our sophisticated brothers couldn't sustain it.

If I show you pre-war pictures of Onitsha and now, you will not believe it.

show us
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by jayworld15(m): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2021
Funkeshuga:

mannabbqzombie will disappear into the air after Buhari tenure, you won't see that moniker on this forum post 2023

he was planted here to worship and praise Buhari failure

He’s a bat in the afternoon.
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2021
Rugaria:

Jokes apart, it's nonplussing! This is not stagnation. This is retrogression! This country is "developing" backwards..
you can imagine
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Liposure: 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2021
Which way nigeria
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by VictorUSA(m): 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2021
if this is real, in the next 45 years that area will not just become a village, it'll become a forest.
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by engrchykae(m): 6:50pm On Jan 27, 2021
Omihanifa:
The former picture is better than the current picture. The above picture can be used in describing the current situation of Nigeria
the western region is retrogressing courtesy of one Nigeria,you can't say Nigeria is retrogressing because the Eastern region have grown since the civil war
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by lastempero: 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2021
Nigeria was better b4
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by engrchykae(m): 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2021
SpecialAdviser:
This story is same all over Nigeria.

I went same community primary school with my dad.
Whenever I watched the picture my dad took and the one I took in the same school, tears run down my eyes.
it's not the same all over Nigeria,the Eastern region greatly improved with new cities like awka,uyo gaining prominence while the western region had no new city, rather the major cities except Lagos were in decline
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by engrchykae(m): 6:57pm On Jan 27, 2021
Starrs:
cry This country has gone down the drain.
rather the western region have gone down the drain,the Eastern region waxed strong and had new cities
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by vincentjk(m): 7:10pm On Jan 27, 2021
SpecialAdviser:
This story is same all over Nigeria.

I went same community primary school with my dad.
Whenever I watched the picture my dad took and the one I took in the same school, tears run down my eyes.

Sometimes when you take Nigeria's current situation to heart it'll just give you unnecessary bp. I once cried bitterly in my room the day my cousin staying abroad told me the cocola and Pepsi we take here are trash and made just for Nigerians, he recently bought a bottle of coke and if I tasted it I'll know how cheated we're. Tho prices vary.

3 Likes

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by wiseone28: 7:44pm On Jan 27, 2021
PROUDIGBO:

It's clear Awo had a plan and vision for his region in general and the Yoruba in particular! This stands in stark contrast to Zik, who had the same level of vision, but his was more pan-Nigerian than it was for his region or ethnicity! This isn't to say Zik did nothing in the Eastern Region.

Where Awo derailed was when he blindly supported the Fulani to sustain 'one Nigeria'....even without getting any sort of guarantee on how post-war Nigeria will be structured so it would no more be a 'mere geographical expression'!

Looking at Ibadan in the 60s, you can see it was on an upward trajectory, and this owes largely to the kind of national structure and political-economy in place at the time. Things started heading south post-war, not just for Ibadan, but for Lagos and every other regional capital in the country! Some cities and towns like Onitsha were beginning to massively urbanise from the 60s, so looking at pics of Onitsha then in comparison to pics of Onitsha now would not tell the whole story.....yes, Onitsha can be said to have improved from how it looked in the 60s, but i make bold to assert that had the Nigerian political-economy and structure pre-'66 continued to today, or had Biafra been realised, Onitsha would presently be looking like Hong-Kong!
I disagree when you say Biafra would have look like Hong kong..

It wouldn't be much better than Benin republic.

2 Likes

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by davillian(m): 8:07pm On Jan 27, 2021
Omihanifa:
Yeah sure
Back then Nigeria was moving forward with the rest of the world....

1 Like

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by falcon01: 10:15pm On Jan 27, 2021
ExAngel007:

where did you see the recent Toyota ?

You need glasses.
he tbi7ghtvthe old pics was the new pics because it looks better kn more recent than the current f*cked up one!!
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Tats(m): 11:05pm On Jan 27, 2021
That looks like its Kingsway stores in the 1976 picture
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by bubu2019: 11:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
Ojiofor:
I #donbeliveit cos I can see moderm cars in the 1977 street. grin
the cars you saw are moris minos
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:11am On Jan 28, 2021
wiseone28:
I disagree when you say Biafra would have look like Hong kong..

It wouldn't be much better than Benin republic.

Is this you giving a well considered opinion or is this the bigot in you speaking? smiley

Eastern Region pre-'66 was one of the fastest growing economic zones in the world; Biafrans have always been go-getters and achievers and their exploits both at home and in diaspora bear testament to this fact; Biafrans have headed and been at the top echelon of a multitude of world bodies and organisations; Biafra has the greatest inland hydrocarbon reserves in Nigeria.....pre-'66, they were receiving 50% derivation, but with Biafra they would have received 100%; Biafra has self-made cities like Onitsha, Nnewi and Aba that have gained world prominence on individual effort and with little or no federal gov't input; governance in the Eastern Region pre-'66 was visionary, progressive, bold and effective, pointing to the kind of governance Biafra would have had going forward; there would have been no 'one Nigeria' envious and toxic environment that's inimical to development, peace and unity; etc-etc-etc.

Now you tell me why you think Biafra would have looked like Benin Republic and not Hong Kong!
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by valenu(m): 12:13am On Jan 28, 2021
Failed Nigeria
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by afube: 3:39am On Jan 28, 2021
kenny714433:
Before I used to think that Nigeria is one of the most developed countries in Africa not until I joined a facebook group called Voice Africa.

I saw that almost all African countries have moved thousands of kilometers pass Nigeria. I saw updates about every African countries and I wept coming from Nigeria.

The naked truth is that at some point we progressed, now we are retrogressing. I'm afraid to say we cant even meet up again due to our population and corruption.

The only solution is if we can restructure or seceed.
It's just too sad.

Nigerians have no idea what British backed fulani janjaweedism has done to us ! its truly unfortunate but we must go on , #wemove
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by afube: 3:45am On Jan 28, 2021
TimeManager:
Awolowo didn't go cap in hand to Abuja before the structures were built.
Aguiyi ironsi destroyed regionalism. May he continue rotting in hell.

kiss the truth!

Aguiyi did not destroy Federalism and regionalism to the extent that gowon and awolowo did, they broke 4 regions to 12 states in complete defiance of The aburi accord that sort to remedy the initial mistakes made by the military.Stop confirming your ill education.....mumu

3 Likes

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Ofemannnu: 3:57am On Jan 28, 2021
afube:

Aguiyi did not destroy Federalism and regionalism to the extent that gowon and awolowo did, they broke 4 regions to 12 states in complete defiance of The aburi accord that sort to remedy the initial mistakes made by the military.Stop confirming your ill education.....mumu
. He destroyed federalism with Decree 34.We have read his speech doing this severally.Why the argument for God's sake?
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Explorerx(m): 5:02am On Jan 28, 2021
Ojiofor:
I #donbeliveit cos I can see moderm cars in the 1977 street. grin

Mumu, which modern car is there?
How can the country progress with imbeciles like this
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Nobody: 5:12am On Jan 28, 2021
APC government
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Aderr: 5:58am On Jan 28, 2021
What is it with all these ugly electric poles?
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by wiseone28: 7:25am On Jan 28, 2021
PROUDIGBO:

Is this you giving a well considered opinion or is this the bigot in you speaking? smiley

Eastern Region pre-'66 was one of the fastest growing economic zones in the world; Biafrans have always been go-getters and achievers and their exploits both at home and in diaspora bear testament to this fact; Biafrans have headed and been at the top echelon of a multitude of world bodies and organisations; Biafra has the greatest inland hydrocarbon reserves in Nigeria.....pre-'66, they were receiving 50% derivation, but with Biafra they would have received 100%; Biafra has self-made cities like Onitsha, Nnewi and Aba that have gained world prominence on individual effort and with little or no federal gov't input; governance in the Eastern Region pre-'66 was visionary, progressive, bold and effective, pointing to the kind of governance Biafra would have had going forward; there would have been no 'one Nigeria' envious and toxic environment that's inimical to development, peace and unity; etc-etc-etc.

Now you tell me why you think Biafra would have looked like Benin Republic and not Hong Kong!
Continue living in a fantasy island..

Biafra wouldn't have be better just like any other black manage country.
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by Kingluqman(m): 8:44am On Jan 28, 2021
ishadfurnitures:
How come the 1976 own has a recent toyota corolla ... The picture is not taken in that year so therefore not right.
You blind? Abi you no dey read welll grin
Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by BastardWike: 9:03am On Jan 28, 2021
While Yorubas kept shouting Lagos, the rest of their region decayed.

Ibadan in 1976 and Ibadan in 2021 is more or less the same thing despite the fact that a whopping 45 years have gone by! The story is the same with their other towns. Now contrast that with Kano, Owerri, Kaduna, Enugu, P.H, Uyo etc. that have been completely transformed.

They keep shouting Lagos and "one Nigeria" while their region continues to retrogress.

Check any city in the world that looked like Ibadan in 1976 and compare how they look now, even if they're in Africa. Shame!

1 Like

Re: See Photos Of A Street In Ibadan In 1976 And 2020 by BastardWike: 9:18am On Jan 28, 2021
engrchykae:
the western region is retrogressing courtesy of one Nigeria,you can't say Nigeria is retrogressing because the Eastern region have grown since the civil war

I have been saying it since but they think I'm trying to mock them. All there cities look more or less the same way they were decades ago!

In geography books I read in secondary school (though written much earlier) they will show pictures of Nigerian cities and Ibadan and Kano will be having same outlook. While Ibadan had mass of rusted roofs, Kano had mass of mud houses. But now, both cities are miles apart in terms of development. Kano has transformed into a modern city while Ibadan has become worse!

Next 30 years SW cities will still the way they currently are while other cities in Nigeria transform. If Nigeria had broken up in 1967, Oduduwa with Awolowo as its ruler would have been among the most developed countries in Africa today! They erroneously believe they're gaining from Nigeria while in reality, Nigeria is destroying them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Insecurity: Makinde Vows To Deal With Anyone Found Wanting / APC Represents Renewed Hope - Seyi Tinubi Tells Miyetti Allah / NNPCL Remitted Zero Allocation To Federation Account In 2022 – CFO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.