Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,387 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Whatsapp Is Now On Status - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Is Now On Status (49881 Views)

Voicenote On Whatsapp Is The Worst Invention / Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones / Whatsapp Is Temporarily Banning ‘gbwhatsapp’ Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Tapout(m): 8:07am On Jan 28, 2021
Handywork:
when I saw this yesterday morning
I was shocked... since it said it can't view our status and privacy I think it's ok if not I would have mute it...

You can't mute it, i tried that.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by bluefilm: 8:09am On Jan 28, 2021
Emmynation:
Checked my WhatsApp this evening, saw WhatsApp status ,I was like shocked
A new feature,and I guess the pressures over privacy concerns fuelled it

What's the significance of WhatsApp being on Status now?

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by zoedew: 8:12am On Jan 28, 2021
Flytime:
heard it was terrible and they refused to upgrade just like seun is refusing to upgrade nairaland and they lost to emerging competitions like nairaland will most likely do if care is not taking
Am yet to know Nairaland’s competitor!
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by airsaylongcome: 8:14am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

Dey do not generate funds by selling anything. Atleat not at the moment. Traffic isn't sales. Some of U jus want to argue anyhow. D question isn't about whether dey generate money or not, are dey selling anything?

Yes. Data and metadata about your WhatsApp usage
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by airsaylongcome: 8:16am On Jan 28, 2021
9jayes:
Ads showing loading...

So on point. I for see a situation where you must view the ads before you can see status updates from your contacts

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nbotee(m): 8:16am On Jan 28, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Yes. Data and metadata about your WhatsApp usage

U ppl keep contradicting urselves. They sell data and metadata so what dropped their sales? The buyers no longer have need for it abi d data no dey sell again?
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by stanisbaratheon: 8:18am On Jan 28, 2021
beehivedata:
People are always weary of what they do not understand. Privacy or not, people will not stop using whatsapp.

Many in the western world will stop.

It's only Nigerians that would continue, after all many Nigerians think Buhari's government is very good.

3 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Olayetan(m): 8:20am On Jan 28, 2021
Obiossy:

Bro they are lying, I was discussing about importing sex items , immediately I logged into my Facebook account I started seeing ads relating to my private chat with my Chinese contacts

Many times I experience same when I do window shopping on E-commerce sites, exactly what I was checking out will just pop up every where on my Facebook timeline, those people most times track things we do on our phones.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by airsaylongcome: 8:21am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

U ppl keep contradicting urselves. They sell data and metadata so what dropped their sales? The buyers no longer have need for it abi d data no dey sell again?

Lol. No need to argue with you. Do some OSINT investigations first. Then you will know
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

Some of U are funny.. If they are selling ur data like U claim, why would dey b worried about sales reducing? Did the buyers stop buying ur data? It's funny when some of U talk about ur data being sold. The same data most ppl very openly display on social media platforms?
Who do you think are the interested buyers and how do WhatsApp turn in revenue?
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by hybridblood07(m): 8:22am On Jan 28, 2021
You dey bomb for MySpace that year abi?lol
meobizy:
I like it. It reminds me of when Tom was my MySpace buddy. Nairalanders won’t remember that era. There was also the Yoruba boy of NaijaPals who loved attention so much that he followed Tom’s example. I doubt Hi5 had such a character. Mark should follow suit on Facebook. He made friendship with himself optional. Person go old if he dey find the possibility here.

Now, if only the contact can send nudes daily.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by alezzy13: 8:23am On Jan 28, 2021
I don't understand oo. Of what significance is this?
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Godada(m): 8:24am On Jan 28, 2021
airsaylongcome:

So on point. I for see a situation where you must view the ads before you can see status updates from your contacts

This is by far the best input since the start of this thread.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Samabu07(m): 8:25am On Jan 28, 2021
Twelfthman:
There are nairaland people who use MySpace back then. How insulting to conclude people won't remember MySpace era but you do
Mate, I even shocked to see this on a public forum too.
We did myspace and HI5 back then...early 2001 I presumed.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 28, 2021
Olayetan:

Many times I experience same when I do window shopping on E-commerce sites, exactly what I was checking out will just pop up every where on my Facebook timeline, those people most times track things we do on our phones.
It is basic an algorithm that is tailored towards knowing your interest, and advertisement rules suggest that a client need to see an advert atleast 7 times a day to facilitate his decision to purchase.

With a little knowledge on digital marketing, this shouldn't be strange. Check Facebook profit from advertisement for the past 5 years and you would realise that this guy's develop mad algorithm to marketers to sell easily by narrowing on your data (interest, gender, educational level and all that).

T

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by SoliBayNG: 8:34am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

Dey do not generate funds by selling anything. Atleat not at the moment. Traffic isn't sales. Some of U jus want to argue anyhow. D question isn't about whether dey generate money or not, are dey selling anything?

Very correct.
They only make use of data for their products and services.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by catice(m): 8:35am On Jan 28, 2021
Everyone seems to forget another big website back then.....its" Faceparty"

[Qquote author=Sgdam post=98508859]

True talk. The guy thinks all nairalander are his mate. My hi5 is still active and I have been using it since 2005[/quote]
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by stonemasonn: 8:47am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

they sell people's data.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by centilad(m): 8:48am On Jan 28, 2021
Flytime:
heard it was terrible and they refused to upgrade just like seun is refusing to upgrade nairaland and they lost to emerging competitions like nairaland will most likely do if care is not taking
From Efritin & OLX to Jiji.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Ayobami7(m): 8:49am On Jan 28, 2021
noted
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by firstratedcitiz(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2021
Let's end the unnecessary arguments and just replace 'sales' with 'revenues'.
Nbotee:

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by centilad(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2021
catice:
Everyone seems to forget another big website back then.....its" Faceparty"

[Qquote author=Sgdam post=98508859]

True talk. The guy thinks all nairalander are his mate. My hi5 is still active and I have been using it since 2005

MCommunity ~ Peperonity, Mocospace, Myspace.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by The5DME(m): 8:53am On Jan 28, 2021
This is old news na; since yesterday.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:57am On Jan 28, 2021
MoIbrahim:

To start, yoo you think all the money mtn, glo, airtel and etisalat deduct from you for using data on WhatsApp and Facebook remains with the telcoms only? Think again o.
I don't understand. Can you explain better
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by beehivedata(m): 9:08am On Jan 28, 2021
stanisbaratheon:

Many in the western world will stop.

It's only Nigerians that would continue, after all many Nigerians think Buhari's government is very good.
What's buhari got to do with this? For the sake of our sanity, let's focus on the topic please. With that being said, only time will tell on how much people from the western world would either boycott the app or remain users.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nbotee(m): 9:25am On Jan 28, 2021
firstratedcitiz:
Let's end the unnecessary arguments and just replace 'sales' with 'revenues'.

Simple. Case closed
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by bedfordng(m): 9:28am On Jan 28, 2021
hope they are not planning to run advert campaigns on status updates.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

lol. You believe Mark is Santa Claus? They sell your data to companies for targeted advertisings
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by stanisbaratheon: 9:31am On Jan 28, 2021
beehivedata:
What's buhari got to do with this? For the sake of our sanity, let's focus on the topic please. With that being said, only time will tell on how much people from the western world would either boycott the app or remain users.

"Psyche"

If you can't cross the T's and dot the I's then I'm afraid.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 28, 2021
Obiossy:

Bro they are lying, I was discussing about importing sex items , immediately I logged into my Facebook account I started seeing ads relating to my private chat with my Chinese contacts
lol anywhere I open now it is cars ads. Not that I even have the money to buy it sef just because I showed little interest, it's everywhere. These psychos would enter our minds if they could. They might if care is not taken sef.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 28, 2021
MoIbrahim:

To start, yoo you think all the money mtn, glo, airtel and etisalat deduct from you for using data on WhatsApp and Facebook remains with the telcoms only? Think again o.
data is just like fuel. Facebook or Google has no business with that particular data. The data you hear people talking about is your personal information.
If you buy fuel in your car and drive it to Lagos, does the road you drive on gain anything from the fuel you are burning?

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now On Status by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 28, 2021
Nbotee:

U ppl are getting it wrong. Is it WhatsApp dat is selling anything?? WhatsApp doesn't make sales. WHATSAPP AS AN APP ISNT SELLING ANYTHING!!
lol you are unbelievably naive. So you believe Mark host a platform with over 1 billion users and he isn't making any money from it? Mark is a psychopath

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Brief History Of Tecno, Infinix, Itel And Their Owners - Techredirector / Dolphin Returns Woman's Phone After She Dropped It In Sea / Funny ! iPhone6 Owners say their hair now rips off When They Make Calls [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.