Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,619 members, 7,955,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:16 PM

Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God (738 Views)

No Prophet Married Only One Wife In The Bible - Olatosho Oshoffa / See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 12:17pm On Jan 28, 2021
God is a perfect God who knows what is perfect for us . Since the time of Adam , man has always been , out of ignorance , looking for ways to satisfy their lustful heart .

This has lead to the destruction of many lives and properties.

God created man with only one wife but man decided to multiply wives out of their selfish lust.

In polygamous homes , many dangers are evident :

Lack of love among the wives .
Lack of love among the children .
Envying among the children and the wives.
Fightings and quarreling is a continuous exercise.
They use diabolical means to retard the progress of the children .
Lack of genuine love from the wives for their husband.
The man will most of the times show love to one wife than to the other . Even among his children.
It is hard to sexually satisfy two wives for a long period of years without dying untimely.

All these bring about a divided home that grants the devil licence to destroy the family.

This is the one of the reasons I love my Lord Jesus Christ who loves us and hates to see people going through problems . He said :

Matthew 19:5 KJV
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh .

1 Timothy 3:12 KJV
Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Holinesss(m): 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2021
I don’t think your assertion is balance when you compare the old and New Testament.

What if a village priest was married to 10 wives before coming to Christ? If you ask him to chase away 9 wives, hope you know the 9 wives can’t remarry since the man is still alive ?
1 Tim you quoted are for deacons, pastors or leaders in the church to show examples. If you read Matt 19:5 in Greek you gain more understanding with the word one flesh.

From my understanding of scriptures, I believe any one in Christ Jesus born again should not get married to more than one wife but if he had married more than 1 before coming he is to live with them all bringing them to faith and walking with God.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 2:54pm On Jan 28, 2021
Holinesss:
I don’t think your assertion is balance when you compare the old and New Testament.

What if a village priest was married to 10 wives before coming to Christ? If you ask him to chase away 9 wives, hope you know the 9 wives can’t remarry since the man is still alive ?
1 Tim you quoted are for deacons, pastors or leaders in the church to show examples. If you read Matt 19:5 in Greek you gain more understanding with the word one flesh.

From my understanding of scriptures, I believe any one in Christ Jesus born again should not get married to more than one wife but if he had married more than 1 before coming he is to live with them all bringing them to faith and walking with God.

You are very correct . An unbeliever that comes to Christ should keep his wives as long as they are willing to remain with him .

1 Like

Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by AntiChristian: 3:28pm On Jan 28, 2021
Lies from the pit of Hell!

The Bible permits Plural Marriages and nowhere does it generally forbid it.

It is often said that Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus of the Christians prescribe one man for one woman so how come tens of Prophets/men of God had more than one wives and or concubines?

Cain's son Lamech and Moses had 2 wives. David had 8 wives! Solomon 300 wives and 700 concubines! Gideon had many wives!
Deuteronomy 21:1-17 suggest marriage of multiple wives including captured prisoners gotten from conquests.

Elkanah a godly man and father of Samuel had 2 wives. Abraham, the father of faith had two wives!

In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Is it that all of these men of God were not guided (by the Holy spirit) in their marriages?

And lastly Yahweh prescribed law to protect first wife in Polygamy- Exo 21:10 "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."

Why this law since Yahweh/Jehovah is against polygamy?

Did Yahweh abolish the law above? If so where?

And why don't Christian clamour for people marrying multiple wives to follow the above law?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:29pm On Jan 28, 2021
It's sex that shouldn't come in between them again! smiley

enilove:

You are very correct . An unbeliever that comes to Christ should keep his wives as long as they are willing to remain with him

1 Like

Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by AntiChristian: 3:33pm On Jan 28, 2021
enilove:
God is a perfect God who knows what is perfect for us . Since the time of Adam , man has always been , out of ignorance , looking for ways to satisfy their lustful heart .

God created man with only one wife but man decided to multiply wives out of their selfish lust.

The man will most of the times show love to one wife than to the other . Even among his children.
It is hard to sexually satisfy two wives for a long period of years without dying untimely.

All these bring about a divided home that grants the devil licence to destroy the family.

This is the one of the reasons I love my Lord Jesus Christ who loves us and hates to see people going through problems . He said :

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh .

Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

All those dangers you claim above also happen in many one man-one wife families too! And some men have the sexual capability of satisfying more than one woman.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 3:44pm On Jan 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
It's sex that shouldn't come in between them again! smiley

Where is the Scripture for that . Am willing to learn .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:09pm On Jan 28, 2021
It's God's Holy Spirit that revealed this to the Born Again Christians so if you want to learn all you need is the explanation guiding Christian principles you can't find a scripture where it is quoted word for word.

God made one man for a woman, Sex and romance binds them together as one flesh, Christianity came to remind us of God's standard in Eden but many have fallen for this old ways before coming to know Christ.
So for such ones to remain pure and unblemish before God they have to stop having sex with multiple partners as God's Kingdom will not permit such, they must stick to the wife of their youth unless the first woman is dead or doesn't want to continue with them then they can pick any of the other wives (who must be a Christian)
Apart from the first wife all the other women that came into marriage with a man when he is still married to a living soul are products of adultery! smiley

enilove:

Where is the Scripture for that . Am willing to learn .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 4:11pm On Jan 28, 2021
AntiChristian:
Lies from the pit of Hell!

The Bible permits Plural Marriages and nowhere does it generally forbid it.

It is often said that Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus of the Christians prescribe one man for one woman so how come tens of Prophets/men of God had more than one wives and or concubines?

Cain's son Lamech and Moses had 2 wives. David had 8 wives! Solomon 300 wives and 700 concubines! Gideon had many wives!
Deuteronomy 21:1-17 suggest marriage of multiple wives including captured prisoners gotten from conquests.

Elkanah a godly man and father of Samuel had 2 wives. Abraham, the father of faith had two wives!

In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Is it that all of these men of God were not guided (by the Holy spirit) in their marriages?

And lastly Yahweh prescribed law to protect first wife in Polygamy- Exo 21:10 "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."

Why this law since Yahweh/Jehovah is against polygamy?

Did Yahweh abolish the law above? If so where?

And why don't Christian clamour for people marrying multiple wives to follow the above law?

I know people used to marry more than one wife. My point it that , it was not so from the beginning. This was due to their fleshly lust .

Lamach that started it was not a good man as far as the bible is concerned.
Men on their own stated it which was not like that from the beginning.

Adam was given one wife .

God warned the kings thus :

Deuteronomy 17:17-18 KJV
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold. [18] And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

Mark 10:5-9 KJV
And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
[6] But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
[7] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
[8] And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
[9] What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Verse 8 says , '' and the TWO shall be ...''
Verse 9 confirms it that no ONE SHOULD COME BETWEEN THEM .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 4:18pm On Jan 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
It's God's Holy Spirit that revealed this to the Born Again Christians so if you want to learn all you need is the explanation guiding Christian principles you can't find a scripture where it is quoted word for word.

God made one man for a woman, Sex and romance binds them together as one flesh, Christianity came to remind us of God's standard in Eden but many have fallen for this old ways before coming to know Christ.
So for such ones to remain pure and unblemish before God they have to stop having sex with multiple partners as God's Kingdom will not permit such, they must stick to the wife of their youth unless the first woman is dead or doesn't want to continue with them then they can pick any of the other wives (who must be a Christian)
Apart from the first wife all the other women that came into marriage with a man when he is still married to a living soul are products of adultery! smiley

I want evidence from the Bible .

How can someone be married to wives and not be intimate with her .

If the wives desires it , would he allow them to go to other men for that ?
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2021
AntiChristian:

All those dangers you claim above also happen in many one man-one wife families too! And some men have the sexual capability of satisfying more than one woman.

You are right to an extent but the probabilities of those things happening in a polygamous homes are very high .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:27pm On Jan 28, 2021
What do you think?
If everyone who has two/three/four wives are allowed to continue sleeping with all of them in Christianity, what can stop a man from committing adultery and saying "i repent" after having a child or two from the second woman.
Of course every rich man will marry four or five and later say "i just met Jesus this morning and he asked me to come and serve in his sanctuary (with my multiple wives)"

Well not having intimacy with any other woman apart from the first and legally married one is the penalty/sacrifice the man has to bear as punishment for adultery for the rest of his life! smiley

enilove:

I want evidence from the Bible .
How can someone be married to wives and not be intimate with her .
If the wives desires it , would he allow them to go to other men for that ?
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 4:40pm On Jan 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
What do you think?
If everyone who has two/three/four wives are allowed to continue sleeping with all of them in Christianity, what can stop a man from committing adultery and saying "i repent" after having a child or two from the second woman.
Of course every rich man will marry four or five and later say "i just met Jesus this morning and he asked me to come and serve in his sanctuary (with my multiple wives)"

Well not having intimacy with any other woman apart from the first and legally married one is the penalty/sacrifice the man has to bear as punishment for adultery for the rest of his life! smiley

I think you are right , very very right .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:46pm On Jan 28, 2021
It's not everything about Christian principles that are written WORD for WORD in the new covenant {John 16:12} but God's Holy Spirit (the spirit of truth) will guide Jesus' followers into all TRUTH! John 16:13 compare to John 14:26 smiley

enilove:

I think you are right , very very right .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Jman24(m): 7:13pm On Jan 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
It's not everything about Christian principles that are written WORD for WORD in the new covenant {John 16:12} but God's Holy Spirit (the spirit of truth) will guide Jesus' followers into all TRUTH! John 16:13 compare to John 14:26 smiley

Lol. Max , which one is Christian principle again?
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:23pm On Jan 28, 2021
Get Watchtower publications! wink

Jman24:

Lol. Max , which one is Christian principle again?
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Jman24(m): 8:03pm On Jan 28, 2021
enilove:

How does this passage give a command that he must cleave to only one wife?
assuming you hold this passage so dearly, how is an advice(optional) equivalent to a command (obligatory)

It's good to study for yourself. A question propped up that lead to a response in math 19:5.
The question is this "is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife"?

The question was not "is it lawful for a man to take more than one wife"?
Chai English language!!.

So the analysis that it is only one wife you must marry based on the context and advice is flawed!!!
Assuming you hold this passage dearly, how does a deacon mean other household members or other people who may wish to marry more than one?

#oh my Africa!
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 9:10pm On Jan 28, 2021
Jman24:

How does this passage give a command that he must cleave to only one wife?
assuming you hold this passage so dearly, how is an advice(optional) equivalent to a command (obligatory)

It's good to study for yourself. A question propped up that lead to a response in math 19:5.
The question is this "is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife"?

The question was not "is it lawful for a man to take more than one wife"?
Chai English language!!.

So the analysis that it is only one wife you must marry based on the context and advice is flawed!!!
Assuming you hold this passage dearly, how does a deacon mean other household members or other people who may wish to marry more than one?

#oh my Africa!

What do you mean by English language ?

Did Jesus not address the issue of one man one wife when answering the question regarding divorcement ?

When posting your opinion next time don't pass insult at the respondent , because you might be fooling yourself by thinking you know better .
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Valkrie: 9:49pm On Jan 28, 2021
enilove:

And who told you that? If you people want to feel nice in your illusion you begin to quote bible upside down...Go and look all the people that are after your bible God heart they are all polygamous...So what are you saying...did you see the bible God anywhere and he said he doesn't like polygamy?
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Jman24(m): 10:32pm On Jan 28, 2021
enilove:

What do you mean by English language ?

Did Jesus not address the issue of one man one wife when answering the question regarding divorcement ?

When posting your opinion next time don't pass insult at the respondent , because you might be fooling yourself by thinking you know better .

Hahahaha.
My friend we learn everyday.
Look at that question again and the answer with an open mind.
It's not a crime to read for yourself and not relying on conjectures taught to you by certain persons
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 11:25pm On Jan 28, 2021
Jman24:

Hahahaha.
My friend we learn everyday.
Look at that question again and the answer with an open mind.
It's not a crime to read for yourself and not relying on conjectures taught to you by certain persons

WHAT IS THE SENSE IN WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN BELOW ?

Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by enilove(m): 11:28pm On Jan 28, 2021
Valkrie:

And who told you that? If you people want to feel nice in your illusion you begin to quote bible upside down...Go and look all the people that are after your bible God heart they are all polygamous...So what are you saying...did you see the bible God anywhere and he said he doesn't like polygamy?

This is the answer to your question :

Deuteronomy 17:17 KJV
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:06am On Jan 29, 2021
I know how you often feel each time i say in my post "only JWs are worshipers of my own God"
If there is no unique ORGANIZED group to present as those PRACTICING Christianity there is no way anyone can adequately explain what Christianity means!
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES Organization told me that Jesus (as a mighty spirit King) came to inspect the earth in 1914 to see how far Satan has confused humans {Luke 18:8} immediately after Jesus' assenssion to heaven Satan began persecuting the Christian congregation {Revelations 12:17} this persecution continued until all the pioneers of the group were wiped out then Satan introduced another form of worship to replace true Christianity known today as the Catholic Church this is the Antichrist John wrote about that will be established after the death of all the Apostles! 1John 2:18 compare to Matthew 13:25

Ever since then Satan has continued to influence the ideas of Church Fathers to suit his evil plan until 1914 when God gave Jesus the order to start ruling, Jesus first drove Satan out of heaven and next Jesus came to inspect the earth but all the churches have gone off course so Jesus had to go through all the religious groups calling his name but none of them welcome the spirit of truth except a small group back then known as the Bible Student Association. When Jesus saw that this group was willing to make amendments unlike the rest, he began using God's Holy Spirit to direct them on how to find the truth about the lost Christianity. Gradually this group was making progress and because they were ever willing to make amendments Jesus began correcting most of the erroneous teachings the group incur from the churches of Christendom.

Today Jesus has finished refining this group and he is taking them to all the four corners of the earth to PREACH and TEACH the truth about God's kingdom. So pertaining to what you're discussing presently none of these people will listen to you because as you asked me earlier they will continue to demand from you where it is written that Jesus said a man must not marry more than one wife!
Jesus is using God's Holy Spirit to direct the Governing Body of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, it's only within those obediently taking instructions from this GB that such order can be taken seriously not in the midst of faithless people who wants to see a sign from heaven before listening to timely spiritual food! Matthew 16:4

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

enilove:

Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Valkrie: 6:20am On Jan 29, 2021
enilove:

Oga don't cherry pick...what is the whole story talking about and who was the passage referring to and what happened before the comment was made...? that's how you people pick passages that suit your narrative and abandon the once that clearly say otherwise..not a baby in this una bible matter...You people like confusing people and yourselves..Haba..!!
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by harmargedon: 8:12am On Jan 29, 2021
so the Jews are not of God, and yet you serve their god. when I thought I've seen it all.
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Jman24(m): 8:36am On Jan 29, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
I know how you often feel each time i say in my post "only JWs are worshipers of my own God"
If there is no unique ORGANIZED group to present as those PRACTICING Christianity there is no way anyone can adequately explain what Christianity means!
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES Organization told me that Jesus (as a mighty spirit King) came to inspect the earth in 1914 to see how far Satan has confused humans {Luke 18:8} immediately after Jesus' assenssion to heaven Satan began persecuting the Christian congregation {Revelations 12:17} this persecution continued until all the pioneers of the group were wiped out then Satan introduced another form of worship to replace true Christianity known today as the Catholic Church this is the Antichrist John wrote about that will be established after the death of all the Apostles! 1John 2:18 compare to Matthew 13:25

Ever since then Satan has continued to influence the ideas of Church Fathers to suit his evil plan until 1914 when God gave Jesus the order to start ruling, Jesus first drove Satan out of heaven and next Jesus came to inspect the earth but all the churches have gone off course so Jesus had to go through all the religious groups calling his name but none of them welcome the spirit of truth except a small group back then known as the Bible Student Association. When Jesus saw that this group was willing to make amendments unlike the rest, he began using God's Holy Spirit to direct them on how to find the truth about the lost Christianity. Gradually this group was making progress and because they were ever willing to make amendments Jesus began correcting most of the erroneous teachings the group incur from the churches of Christendom.

Today Jesus has finished refining this group and he is taking them to all the four corners of the earth to PREACH and TEACH the truth about God's kingdom. So pertaining to what you're discussing presently none of these people will listen to you because as you asked me earlier they will continue to demand from you where it is written that Jesus said a man must not marry more than one wife!
Jesus is using God's Holy Spirit to direct the Governing Body of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, it's only within those obediently taking instructions from this GB that such order can be taken seriously not in the midst of faithless people who wants to see a sign from heaven before listening to timely spiritual food! Matthew 16:4

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

grin
Re: Marrying More Than One Wife Is Not Of God by Jman24(m): 8:37am On Jan 29, 2021
enilove:

Again I say read for yourself, so you don't pick this passage alone and ignore where God said people should take the wives of their servants.

The point is that all these are just rules to shape society according to their peculiarities and necessities and not even in the original law assuming you hold the accounts of the good book so dearly.

(1) (Reply)

When The Church Becomes A Business / The Mysteries Of The Kingdom Of God / Apostle and the Angel Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.