Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72073 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Lexusgs430: 8:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?

This genotype issue would surely put a wedge on this marriage.........

They can decide to sue all health institutions, that conducted previous tests....... But to what end?... Best she keeps the legal challenge money, use the money to look after her daughter (she would need plenty money).........

Crisis upon crisis, upon crisis......... Nah hospital go chop plenty money.......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by favour32(m): 8:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
She know say her genotype na As but she hide am for years thinking nothing go happen.
Science dey different from I pray o make e change from As to AA.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Kobicove(m): 8:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
I think the lady has always been AS...the tests done before her marriage were flawed
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
One look at a child in crisis is enough to make anyone serious about genotype compatibility before marriage.
This is not the first time I've heard of people faking genotype test. Sigh.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by dayleke: 8:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

And you know she is upright because...? Don't be fooled by looks. Daggers are hidden in men's smiles.

I can understand and blame inexperience for 1,2, perhaps 3 tests, but 4, 5, 6 and 7? From different labs? Puhleeze! 7 different labs, 7 different lab technicians, 7 different tests, all AA. And you're believe her. undecided If Nigerian labs were so bad half of us would be dead by now because of wrong test results.

Stop being wilfully naive.

Not technicians ma..... sad

Lab scientists or Lab technologists...
grin
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by uma11(m): 8:59pm On Jan 30, 2021
Maybe she did tell test alone without the husband going with her to the hospital. She's not AA that's the whole thing. I rest my case.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ayemileto(m): 8:59pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

Ishilove:

The woman has not yet told us how that child turned out to be SS. I put it to you that she was always AS and she knew, but maybe desperation pushed her into lying to her husband about her genotype. How can she consistently do tests over a number of years and the result is always AA, but this one time when the child is confirmed to have sickle cell anemia, she does another test and voila, she is AS. Just one time.

She is a liar and a very terrible person. Now she has brought an innocent child to suffer

On the flip side, the 7 times might not be as OP said it.

Take for example, I did Medicals when going to a boarding school.

When I gained admission into the university, I did another one at the school clinic.

I'm sure I will still do another one when going for service as well.

And if I'm correct, another one can be done in camp (during one of the health programme they do there)

Then, some organisations require people they want to employ to go through Medicals in their own specified clinics before hiring them.

By the time you factor in all this, 4 or 5 of those tests might be those test required by one organisation or the other, and not done specifically for marriage like the OP said it.

6 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thatigboman: 9:00pm On Jan 30, 2021
My friend once went to the doctor when he was sick and the dr recommended test. When it came out, the dr said the lab test showed the guy had terminal illness. Then recommended him to another lab for same test. Result came and dr said that there was nothing wrong with the guy. He's alive and well till today

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Viking007(m): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
Johnjnr:
I am a medical laboratory scientist though I don't practice, but I have worked in labs, even teaching hospitals.
The possibility of doing a genotype test 3 times and getting a wrong result at different hospitals is very slim.

Now you are talking of 7 times. such kind of error is laughable if you know how easy it is to detect an SS.

I don't want to say the lady is lying but even scientists that didn't graduate and are working in the lab won't make such mistake 7 times.

Very impossible.

If as a scientist I have done my genotype test twice, one when I got admission and one when I was practicing, what is she doing genotype test 7 times for? What is she trying to find out?
Exactly!!! In my entire life I've done my genotype twice, in secondary school and before I got married.

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by zikter(m): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
thundafire:
There are still chances of a child having SS even though both parent are AA or AS. The probability is like 1% and the child happened to be part of the 1%
not in this case if you were able to read to the end. The result after the child was confirmed SS came out to be AS. So the wife is AS the man is AS as well
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Aleora(f): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
Are you sure your neighbors wife is telling the truth?are you sure your neighbor is the owner of that child?honestly how can AA genotype result from 5 different hospitals all of a sudden change to AS,please your neighbor should conduct a DNA test on that one first,am not judging her but possibility she covered her little secret is high..peace....

pragmatistm

post=98581952:

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Kei144(m): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
The first time that I did genotype testing was while I was an undergraduate student in UNN. Microbiology students were having their week and were testing everyone that cared. I went in and I was tested. The result was AA. Since then, every other time I was tested, it remained AA. If undergraduate students doing random testing could get it right, how could you tell me that 7 standard med labs, including those owned by government, got it wrong on one person? It is statistically unbelievable.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ajixegun: 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
thundafire:
There are still chances of a child having SS even though both parent are AA or AS. The probability is like 1% and the child happened to be part of the 1%
How do you mean? Which law of genetic states that?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by onyenatruchi: 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
my genotype is AA, and i must marry AA, and i don't owe anyone any explanationundecided
I think AA=AA will be a good combinationundecided
ka chuwu mezie okwuundecided

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
confidential20:
All these ones up there blaming the woman, you need to stop that. The OP is right. I work in a military hospital and I can categorically tell you that the scenario the OP posted happens here too. It is not only common to Genotype test. Also, it is not an issue of a mistake from the lab scientists as well.
5 different hospitals? 7 tests?
grin Ask that woman wella...
onyenatruchi:
my genotype is AA, and i must marry AA, and i don't owe anyone any explanationundecided
I think AA=AA will be a good combinationundecided
la chuwu mezie okwuundecided
Shift undecided
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by BreconHills(m): 9:02pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
You need to hear from laboratory practitioners before you jump into conclusions and castigate an innocent person OK. My wife is a laboratory practitioner and informed me how tedious it used to be with certain AS blood sample and how it always show as AA.

Besides, I reported that even twice during antenatal in a government hospital, her results came as AA. So is it her fault?

Is there a particular answer that you want to hear? You seem to be pushing alternative viewpoints away very easily.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by ComputerWiz007: 9:02pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Not at all. She's her child. The girl even resembles her grandmother well.
lol...no be the mama u talk say e resemble.. E resemble the papa. Lmao
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ayemileto(m): 9:03pm On Jan 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

This genotype issue would surely put a wedge on this marriage.........

How could she be AA, when her parents are AA & AS........

They can decide to sue all health institutions, that conducted previous tests....... But to what end?... Best she keeps the legal challenge money, use the money to look after her daughter (she would need plenty money).........

Crisis upon crisis, upon crisis......... Nah hospital go chop plenty money.......... cheesy

If her parents are AA and AS, then sha can be any of both.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by tamdun: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
The don scam u

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by DeJombo: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
A familiar story. I have experienced this in my family. My younger brother used to fall sick often so at a time we decided to run a genotype check up on him. After that, the result was sent to my dad's phone at midnight showing that he's SS. After confirmation on the news we were all worried and my mom started praying � from that moment till day break, none of us could ever sleep again, dad was extremely worried. We started contemplating how come the SS, I now told my elder sister that am AS which i happens to know during my first year medical screening and she told me she's AA as well. We started asking questions HOW come, though we never knew our dad's genotype and they don't know their genotypes as well. So the doctor came back to our house that morning with a different result that my brother was AA and not SS. According to him there was an error during laboratory test thou he blamed it on the old laboratory machine. There was surprises and shock all over our faces. Should i say it was a miracle or a mistake.

I think there can still be a way to handle this or there was a laboratory error somewhere at the beginning.
pragmatistm:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by onyenatruchi: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
Chii59:
Shift undecided
I have noticed you. Nextundecided
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ajixegun: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

Abeg we don't fall sick, where did you hear that from, I've not used any drugs or injection for years and I'm AA.
Same with me.
Maybe he meant AAs are prone to malaria.

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Jman06(m): 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.

I need the medical persons to come and say something on this matter. I have just learned that to detect certain AS genotype used to be problematic in the laboratories. Please medical people, over to you.
Agreed that the test can be tricky a times and requires an expert to detect if there's separation of the blood components or not and to what extent, I don't believe that up to seven different lab scientists would make the same mistake.

The lady in question is lying. Many people in Nigeria are always quick to claim the AA genotype even without a proper test by an expert.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by beehivedata(m): 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
This is serious.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by firstratedcitiz(m): 9:05pm On Jan 30, 2021
I strongly believe it is his own family (wife and child) that we are discussing here, but he cleverly mentioned it was his neighbor, perhaps for privacy concerns. People should learn to own up to their own problems so that others may know where to come in and help.
Acidosis:

There's a loophole in your write-up bro. The level of certainty you have displayed on the thread is too high to believe the lady is your neighbour. You don't even know her until she moved in with her husband, your neighbour, so where's the confidence coming from?

My point is you barely know this woman. Stop being too confident okay?

It's even possible that the husband is also aware of her AS status before marriage. They got married with the hope of raising AS/AA children. Some couples who got blinded with love took this risk. Since their plan turned out this way, of course, they needed to come up with a story so the world won't blame them.

That being said, you should speak with a medical practitioner if your assertions are correct.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Lexusgs430: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ayemileto:

If her parents are AA and AS, then sha can be any of both.

Very true.... I just wake...... My brain never engage....... cheesy
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by phatnpretty(f): 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:

1,2,3, maybe 4 times might be considered being cautious.
But 5,6,7 times seems out of place to me.
We don't know her family history. We don't know if she has a sickle cell sibling.

Something made her jittery enough to keep running the test even after marriage.
That is the missing piece of information.
sense no go kill you!!!. Oil dey your head joorrrr....
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Integrafamoo: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
They should do DNA test the child. AA vs AS cannot give SS.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by sisisioge: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
She felt she might not be AA because she does not often fall sick like it used to happen to most AAs. That's why she did it repeatedly before marriage.

Bros, that aunt's heart no pure. I'm AA and hardly ever fall sick. Not all AA fall sick. She knew she was AS, she probably took the risk hopeful. Anyways, way forward..
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by kizbad: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
AS A MEDICAL PERSONNEL, THESE ARE MY MEDICAL AND PERSONAL OPINION

1. She or Both the Couple knew that they were both AS but were deceived by their pastor that what God cannot do, does not exist

2. Some Lab can make a Mess, 7labs making the same mistake is a blantant Lie, Genotype and Blood Grp test is one of the easiest test carried out by lab scientist, even a Layman can do it, so its almost impossible that 7labs can commit this blunder..

3. the Lady knew here gentype since but mayb she was believeing in God for a miracle..No sane human can do genotype for 7 tyms if she doesnt have a curiosity to satisfy

4. Could av said that the child is not from her Husband but since the Answer is glaring ..no need for dat

5. AA and AS can never produce SS children,, THERE IS NOT EXCEPTION OT BUT HERE....its a simple maths..SS CAN ONLY COME FROM AS PARENTS OR SS N AA OR SS AND AS ..there are other genotyp thouge like SC but its rare

6. the couple were blinded in Love and they thougt that the %OF SS children might not likely be their portion

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Cobra And Monitor Lizard Killed In A Bed Room / Photo Of Mother & Son Relaxing On A Yacht Got People Arguing / Married Nigerian Ladies No Longer Take Shit From Their Husbands (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.