Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? (33681 Views)

Cooking Or Eating Out As A Single Person? Which Is More Cost Effective? / Nigerians Spent ₦4.6 Trillion Eating Out In 2019 / NAFDAC Warns Against Eating Fruits Ripened With Calcium Carbide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Burgerlomo: 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2021
Far cheaper my dear cool
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Lomprico2: 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2021
Pochettino:
Nigerians always believe home cooked food is cheaper than eating in a restaurant. But is it true?
I understand it may be so for a large family, but for a single person is it really cheaper?

If we stick to strictly cost and not variable factors like washing pant water grin cheesy or unhygienic environment.

cooking at home is by far cheaper.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by yongg: 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2021
SimplePlan34:
I can not come home by 8pm and still be expected to cook, I only cook on Sundays moreover I am not a really good cook.

It's could be quite a chore.

I think, It would be better to cook that way and as you arrive home from work, you defrost in the microwave or something that way you would achieve semi-instant meal.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by descarado: 5:10pm On Mar 13, 2021
pocohantas:

Go to IG, search Lagosia. If you are in Lagos, feel free to place your order. They will deliver and you’ll like it. cheesy

I am actually very covered, 24h. I can and I do. Even if I leave my soup for fridge, e no go sour- but I am not oblivious of the plight of the majority. Most people would love to, but they can’t. We don’t all live in Abj or the North too.
If u want buy in bulk, do that and forget if others can.
If they want to, no matter their income, they can.
Actually, I am a wazobia. Used my last base as an example cos this topic was once discussed here and abuja people mostly said they dont know where to source for stuffs in bulk. Lagos use mile 12. PH use oil mill, etc.
Has nothing on income. Cos if you go to these markets, poor or rich must buy to their fill.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by seanwilliam(m): 5:12pm On Mar 13, 2021
Starcrest1:
One bag of 25kg rice costs #12000 and it lasts me 6 months as a single person. I cook rice twice weekly.

To cook tomato stew costs me #2000

#2000 gas refill lasts me 2 months.

CALCULATE
#12,000÷48 times = #250 per cooking which is about 5 plates. 1 plate = #50.

#2500 ÷ 8 plates of stew = #312 a plate. NB Meat alone is #1500.

#2000 ÷ 60days of usage = #33 per cooking. 1 plate should be about #6.

So 50+312+6= #368 a plate for my own cooking.

Average cost of a plate of rice outside = #500.
So OP home cooking is still cheaper and more satisfying no matter what.

Modified: My plate na big plate o. E fit be two plates outside. So be the judge.

alaye no be everybody dey chop rice everyday like u grin
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by seanwilliam(m): 5:14pm On Mar 13, 2021
For a single mouth , it is cheaper eating outside..

I eat outside in the morning then I cook indomie or bread or ask my girlfriend to bring food for night

I spent atleast 2k on food daily..
Me I like to dey chop better thing o.. I no fit kill myself
E no easy

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by drLammy(m): 5:14pm On Mar 13, 2021
Depends on your eating habits

Guy man be eating out since December 2020 for this F.C.T
It hasn't been easy tho.
For me, I feel it's way cheaper cuz I eat one meal a day or twice a day

Been trying to maintain this my present weight
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Starcrest1: 5:16pm On Mar 13, 2021
seanwilliam:
alaye no be everybody dey chop rice everyday like u grin

Learn how to read egbon. It's twice weekly.

I even used rice because it's way costlier than preparing eba and soup.

Ciao.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by wetmenow: 5:17pm On Mar 13, 2021
Lazy question. Looking for an excuse.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by seanwilliam(m): 5:18pm On Mar 13, 2021
RuddyFusion:
I don't think so
.....for years now I eat out I think it's cheaper

I stay alone and when I do cook , I found myself over eating ....always going back to.the pot to eat more

So a thousand and few hundreds a day is better than hours spent to cook and then wash plates and the rest.

Same here bro. And another thing is that I dont like eating same food in a day .. if you eat outside u can choose your varieties..

If you cook rice for house in the morning and e remain , u no to want make e spoil , so u will have to repeat it till u finish it.. whereas e fit be say na porridge your belle want for afternoon and yam for night o...

For single person eating outside pay jare

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by yongg: 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2021
Starcrest1:

Lol
1. It wouldn't cost me up to #500 fuel in the car I can even walk to the market.

2. The gas was there but you probably didn't see it.

3. The spices was factored in the cost of stew which you did overlook again. I can't put a price on water because I don't know how much the landlord put on it but outside my compound people fetch water for free.

4. Preservation is not part of cooking cost also, not everyone eats preserved food.

Also if I had reduced the number of meat I eat and size of food to what is obtainable in restaurants, it would be way cheaper than #368

Ciao

Wonderful!

Epic defense there... didn't realize the "refill" was for the gas thought it was for the tomato stew that was mentioned just before it.

While I would admit you may have torn through all of 'em, I disagree with you about preservation. Hence the question, how do you keep the stew long enough for up to 2 months for total consumption. Rewarming? then gas cost covers it.... Refrigeration? the electricity cost has got to be considered.

Preservation is always part of the food chain.

...And you would be surprised about the amount of people that eat food preserved to some degree or the other, well except you cook from own garden fresh each time and consume (like total nutritional annihilation) same day, lols
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by hisgrace090: 5:25pm On Mar 13, 2021
StepTwo:
Hmm

I cooked soup three days ago with 1,500 naira and decided to go buy fufu to eat with and what I got shook me. Maybe it's now better to eat out because I don't believe a restaurant can be that heartless to sell that quantity of food to you.

Attacked pic is the fufu I bought for 50 naira in Abuja

The country is indeed in pain.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by yongg: 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2021
StepTwo:
Hmm

I cooked soup three days ago with 1,500 naira and decided to go buy fufu to eat with and what I got shook me. Maybe it's now better to eat out because I don't believe a restaurant can be that heartless to sell that quantity of food to you.

Attacked pic is the fufu I bought for 50 naira in Abuja

Lol

Resembles an almond.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by pocohantas(f): 5:31pm On Mar 13, 2021
descarado:

If u want buy in bulk, do that and forget if others can.
If they want to, no matter their income, they can.
Actually, I am a wazobia. Used my last base as an example cos this topic was once discussed here and abuja people mostly said they dont know where to source for stuffs in bulk. Lagos use mile 12. PH use oil mill, etc.
Has nothing on income. Cos if you go to these markets, poor or rich must buy to their fill.

Oooo Nnem, I hear you. Abi we hear you. grin
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Onliie(m): 5:33pm On Mar 13, 2021
Starcrest1:
One bag of 25kg rice costs #12000 and it lasts me 6 months as a single person. I cook rice twice weekly.

To cook tomato stew costs me #2000

#2000 gas refill lasts me 2 months.

CALCULATE
#12,000÷48 times = #250 per cooking which is about 5 plates. 1 plate = #50.

#2500 ÷ 8 plates of stew = #312 a plate. NB Meat alone is #1500.

#2000 ÷ 60days of usage = #33 per cooking. 1 plate should be about #6.

So 50+312+6= #368 a plate for my own cooking.

Average cost of a plate of rice outside = #500.
So OP home cooking is still cheaper and more satisfying no matter what.

Modified: My plate na big plate o. E fit be two plates outside. So be the judge.

I'll gladly pay 132 naira for the labor of cooking

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Owologbo(m): 5:35pm On Mar 13, 2021
Pochettino:
Nigerians always believe home cooked food is cheaper than eating in a restaurant. But is it true?
I understand it may be so for a large family, but for a single person is it really cheaper?

If we stick to strictly cost and not variable factors like washing pant water grin cheesy or unhygienic environment.
I only eat outside when I'm far from home.
Nothing will make me to buyfood/eat outside If I have the means to cook.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by CaptainFM1: 5:37pm On Mar 13, 2021
Pochettino:

Focus on cost alone. Thanks.

That my friend is actually cost in itself. You may not be able to estimate it.

Would you rather eat trash because you want to save cost?
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by yongg: 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2021
Onliie:
I'll gladly pay 132 naira for the labor of cooking

Lols.

26.4% off for the joy of cooking(with love) ain't enough to convince this guy. grin

I understand... sometimes the heat, the running around and time spent for preparation, cooking etc isn't worth it. But you get to experiment with the different combos you always wanted to try... which you may not be able to influence in a public eatery among other perks like quantity control etc.

Well else, be prepared to deaden your taste buds once in a while, well more than once in a while as my experience has been that not all people can cook that good but they would be something they might be good in making that save the combo. For me, it has been the cripsyness of the hide (kpomo), at other places the turkey absolutely save the insipid(I know this adjective is for drinks but go figure, lols grin) rice.

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Cutehector(m): 5:51pm On Mar 13, 2021
I prefer eating out than cooking these days, it is cheaper for me. Thank you
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by qtguru(m): 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2021
Pochettino:

Yes, I spend 20k for a month worth of food but depends on where you eat out ? but as a single person cooking at home is cheaper
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Rehdasignature1: 5:58pm On Mar 13, 2021
Pochettino:

AVOID THE POSTER OF THIS FLYER.
THE INDIVIDUAL IS A FRAUDSTER_SCAMMER.

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 13, 2021
BadRadio:
Eating out makes better sense... 1 plate of eba and draw soupwithout meat is 200 Nairagrin

200?
For which side of Naija. I just ate minutes ago. A plate is #500 and it was a small piece of fish
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Darkseid(m): 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2021
I'd rather starve than to eat outside, I can't even stand the thought of eating outside. For over four years now, I've only eaten home cooked foods and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon. I buy everything in bulk: rice, beans, dry fish etc and while it may cost much in the beginning, it pays better in the long run; I currently have more than seven different kinds of foods in my freezer and everything is cooked the way I want it to be.

Most of my friends spend an average of ₦1,500 per day to eat tiny food while my whole food budget for the week is just 2k and the 2k is mainly for vegetables and meat. Nothing sweet pass to relax inside your house chop better food grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Starcrest1: 6:09pm On Mar 13, 2021
yongg:

Wonderful!

Epic defense there... didn't realize the "refill" was for the gas thought it was for the tomato stew that was mentioned just before it.

While I would admit you may have torn through all of 'em, I disagree with you about preservation. Hence the question, how do you keep the stew long enough for up to 2 months for total consumption. Rewarming? then gas cost covers it.... Refrigeration? the electricity cost has got to be considered.

Preservation is always part of the food chain.

...And you would be surprised about the amount of people that eat food preserved to some degree or the other, well except you cook from own garden fresh each time and consume (like total nutritional annihilation) same day, lols

Well it's not as if I keep stew for 2 months. Most of the times, the people that visit me do partake in the eating. But what's it gonna cost me to put stew in the fridge.

Don't get me wrong though, I do eat out sometimes and I know what the quality of meal I get costs me. And for us that resides in the North where a little amount of money can get you a lot, it's unwise not to take advantage of that unless you don't know how to cook.

In all, home made meal is way cheaper and more satisfying than eating out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Odegbami1(m): 6:12pm On Mar 13, 2021
I hate liers . Afang soup for N4,500, madam fear God o

pocohantas:
I will say it depends on the quantity and quality of the food. There is this place I buy afang soup, they sell a small takeaway plate @ about N4500. With delivery is approx N5500. Now would I not cook a good pot of afang soup of about 1l with N4500 and eat it many times? That is assuming I have the basic ingredients sha.

For me, I also consider the energy and time involved- that is what makes it expensive to always cook at home. Sometimes I just order out to save myself stress abeg.

Anyway, I noticed na poor people chop outside pass o. Whenever I am braiding my hair in those roadsides hairdressers, I will watch the woman buy N100 rice for her kids.

We should also consider the fact that many Nigerians do not have bulk money to use and cook a single meal. Soup wey them no even get light/refrigerator to preserve.

I think it is healthier, but not always cheaper.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Earntrick: 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2021
Always cheaper coz an average meal that won’t satisfy you cost minimum of 500naira this days
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by harmony75: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2021
cooking at home cannot be compared to eating out you it to your satisfaction � if you're single/married buy things in bulk cook as you can eat no wastage no light sometimes if you want to cook and store in the fridge naw, person need to be cautious in spending cost of living it so high in NIGERIA!!!
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Lyon190(m): 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2021
For me I think is not cheaper cooking at home particularly if it's only u because u tend to eat more if you cook at home
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 13, 2021
It is cheaper to eat outside for a single person But for a family, it is cheaper but slightly.
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2021
Cooking at home is very cheap, if you decide to eat outside, you will buy food morning, afternoon and night, that is spending close to 1k to buy food for a day, you will use same money to Cook a decent food that will last for more than a day.

Sorry for the explicit breakdown, I am an Economist. cheesy
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by LoveJesus87(m): 6:32pm On Mar 13, 2021
paulGrundy:
its cheaper to cook if you are buying all your foodstuffs in bulk.
good point
Re: Is It Still Cheaper To Cook At Home Against Eating Out? by Nonywendy(m): 6:37pm On Mar 13, 2021
IhateMyDad:
over here
a plate of food is about 400

now, consider buying that twice or at most thrice a day
that's about 1200
and you have the liberty of buying different food per course

but going for cooking
it might be a bit higher in cost
but lasts more
like two days
but you'd have a monopoly of food
which means you'd still have to buy another stuff
gbam. U have said my mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Twitter User Cries Out Over “Fake” Bama Mayonnaise / Folashade Shoyonbo: Nigerian Wins Jollof Rice Contest / 7 Reasons You Should Stop Chewing Gum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.