Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Nation At Crossroads : Analysis Of The 4 Presidential Candidates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nation At Crossroads : Analysis Of The 4 Presidential Candidates (760 Views)

16 Parties, 4 Presidential Candidates Threaten Boycott If General Elections Are / 9 Presidential Candidates In Secret Talk With Jonathan - Tribune / The Top 3 APC Presidential Candidates To Watch Out For! - CramJones exclusive! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nation At Crossroads : Analysis Of The 4 Presidential Candidates by Shaunscot(m): 1:32am On Apr 06, 2011
Hi Guys, I dont know the author of the article but I found it interesting and informative.

I also dont know if it has been posted previously.

It does an indepth analysis of the presidential candidates.

2011: A NATION AT CROSSROADS

In a few days and not weeks, Nigerians will be going to the polls hopefully to choose its fourth tenure of leadership in a democratic dispensation that has lasted 12 years so far! In the current transitional process, however, Nigerians are noticeably faced with the dilemma of choice! Is the choice really between the fiery furnace of the red horned devil and the bottomless pits of the deep dark abyss?? There seems to be no middle ground …, or is there any??'

For this round of national election, much is at stake! The promise of a brighter future and the hope of 150 million citizens lay in the balance and is predicated upon the outcome of this election. I daresay, never before has any nation been confronted with such stark and miserable realities and such a bleak future. Without equivocation, I must say that unless the correct choices are made in this election, there would be no guarantee for the existence of a nation called Nigeria tomorrow!

And now therefore, the million dollar question is; “Whither the way forward?” I have been asked this same question on several occasions and on a few more occasions I have had to ask myself the same question! My thoughts on the question have been a long way coming. I have had to allow the formation of my thoughts to be slow in coming forth, allowing it to pass through a full cycle developmental processes and in so doing I have been able to gain greater insight and perspective on the positions and personalities of the various candidates. I will therefore proceed by giving a personal but candid opinion and assessment of each candidate and then proceed to give my personal verdict (if any)!

1.     Dr Jonathan Ebere Goodluck:

Here is our incumbent president. A man who seemingly shies away from the spotlight and is the reluctant beneficiary of the most recent debacle in the nation’s political circus! The ostentatious pomp and swank flamboyance that comes with the office seems to leave him completely out of harmony and in great discomfort! JEG is also suppose to be a well educated man who has acquired more degrees, including a PhD, than any other aspirant to date in the nation’s presidential history! If the mark of great leadership and desirable qualities were measured in college degrees and good fortune then JEG would win this election hands down. Sadly, it is not!

Jonathan Goodluck is a man upon whom fate has smiled more than once, most recently bestowing upon him a truly priceless and incredible opportunity – a rare opportunity to exhibit his leadership skills, demonstrate his nation building abilities and orchestrate his vision and master plan for our beloved nation within a very generous period of 12 months! But alas, what have we?? We have a man who has just spent a year in the seat of power but is yet unwilling to engage and debate his own challengers nor is he willing to answer to questions about his own stewardship!

JEG has spent the last year instead, demonstrating a remarkable reluctance to make clear cut decisions, playing politics with ‘sacred’ bald vultures in the corridors of power and currying political favors at the expense of any form of fiscal direction or discipline and at great cost to national development. His unique and remarkable approach to the boat load of problems Nigeria seems to be sinking under, is to get on Facebook, highlight and accentuate every little irrelevant decision, bask in delight at every twist of obsequious compliment thrown in his direction and show absolutely no leadership, no vision and no direction in an administration that is completely bereft of any ideas or ideals!

In truth, JEG has been about as effective a leader, as a basket would ever be in draining a tub full of water! In every facet of leadership quotient, JEG has been a woeful failure! It was the great Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius that once listed the 5 virtues of great leadership as Wisdom, Justice, Courage, Temperance and Fortitude. Now, …, I could never dream of using such puritanical and embellished standards to measure a leader of contemporary status. However, for one already lacking both courage and strength of character, JEG’s leadership style, further reveals him to be also devoid of the astuteness, vision and sound judgment required to move the nation forward!

Today, we all stand witness to the best ability of the man in the past one year. Much more importantly, we have seen his ideals, his standards and his choice of lieutenants – and nothing speaks deeper of a man’s qualities than these! The mettle of this man has been tested and been found wanting! As a man, JEG is the very definition of absolute mediocrity and inert indifference. Neither moral principles nor character nor charisma nor conduct nor capabilities nor prudence nor convictions stand him in good stead! Whether JEG's limited capabilities are further reduced, decimated and rendered impotent by his participation on the depraved platform of PDP is not for me to decide and is for history to judge.

At this critical and delicate stage of Nigeria’s development, it is of vital importance for the nation to elect leadership that is capable of delivering on the crucial issues that have so doggedly plagued us and decimated us as a society  – chief amongst which is viral corruption! It is therefore imperative for the nation to choose a leader whose very credentials accentuate qualities which will help overcome these problems. As such, Nigeria needs a leader with an irreproachable anti-corruption stance, one who is absolutely competent and understands the crucial need for competent subordinates, one with sound moral conviction, demonstrating astute and disciplined policies while exhibiting prudent and articulate leadership! Suffice it to say - none of these virtues are in GEJ’s mightily thin playbook!

2.       Mallam Nuhu Ribadu:

Here is a man on whom many place their hopes for a great change and a better Nigeria. In my own opinion, the man is over-sold, over-exposed and out of his depths! Ribadu's only claim to fame is his controversial, lopsided and spotty performance in EFCC. His character and role in trying to expunge the debilitating malaise of corruption from the comatose nation also begs much more questions than answers! I simply do not buy into the EFCC racket!

Given what we saw of his methods and the broader disparity in the effectiveness of his mandate in achieving the set goal under an equally dubious master, one will have to question the sincerity, motives and credibility of Mallam Ribadu. Ribadu’s crusade was only effective in cases involving public officials who had fallen out of favor with the incumbent President. Was this a mere coincidence or was the EFCC boss himself a watchdog and a mere agent of terror in the hands of a diabolical master who pulled strings and orchestrated who got prosecuted and who was acquitted?? I will leave posterity to answer that question, however I am convinced that any man could have achieved just as much, given an equal measure of the federal mandate and presidential support!

Only 8 years ago, the man was a police officer for crying out loud! It would be interesing to find out what level of decadence and tolerance one must possess in other to survive and rise in the ranks of NPF It is foolhardy and telling, when a nation gets to a stage where the hope of national leadership is placed on a man who has spent the last 25 years working in one of the most dishonest, despicable and disreputable organizations in the world! Not only does he show himself to be a man who does not have the credibility to stand by his own documented statements, but also revealing himself to be an opportunist who would very hastily discard principles over convenience when it becomes obvious that his earlier statements stood the risk of jeopardizing his political ambition!

It remains baffling to me that even after the recent presidential debate, quite a lot of seemingly intelligent people are still canvassing for this man. This man has been exposed by the debate to be infantile, clueless and most dangerously incompetent when exposed to the world of complex and multi-faceted problems of national dimension. His naïve strategy, at least that much I can deduce from his debate, is to first grab hold of power, hold meetings and then earnestly seek solutions to pressing National problems, once in power! Whatever happened to the concept of party ideologies and policies, detailed manifestos and strategies? Most importantly, what is his vision?? What are his methods and strategies for achieving this vision??

In an effort to answer my own questions, I spent a couple of precious hours reading and assimilating Ribadu’s sixteen (16) paged vision for Nigeria – something that can be interpreted to be a form of manifesto. I must confess to the fact that I went in not expecting much and indeed I came off the experience feeling rather deflated and with considerable exasperation! It is one thing to state goals, milestones and objectives for the purpose of convincing others about your vision as a leader, and it is quite another thing to outline the policies, methods and strategies that will be applied, adopted and implemented so as to accomplish the set goals! The latter actions are infinitely of more value and importance – constituting a greater asset to leadership than the former! Ribadu’s ‘manifesto’ can best be described as a compilation of dreams and the ‘Wish-list’ of an aspiring politicians and does not necessarily transpire into performance or Vision until implementation details are divulged - And those details are very noticeably absent! I might add that if wishes were horses, beggars may ride……

These people kick around the fate of a nation in their hands as if it were merely a casual hobby that requires no serious deliberation or lengthy meditation! Fifty (50) years after Nigeria’s independence from foreign rule, the nation still stands at the crossroad of misery, despair and delusion! Yet, never have we been more capable of self-redemption – pulling ourselves up by the bootstrap, lifting ourselves out of the rot in which we have wallowed for the past 30 years! To accomplish these however, we must first take seriously the mandate to find ourselves a credible, astute and visionary leader!

Amidst all the clutter and political gibberish going on, I can assure you of one thing – that leader is certainly not Mallam Nuhu Ribadu! Furthermore, Nigeria can no longer afford the great cost of naïve and experimental leadership! Mallam Nuhu Ribadu’s ambition and purpose would be better served if he were to set his lofty aim for a lesser office, like that of a governor or a local government chairman, where he can garner experience and amplify his latent abilities locally and perhaps with better credibility.

3.     Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau:

This candidate remains the wild card of the lot. As the incumbent governor of Kano state, Ibrahim Sherakau presents us something of value - some form of precedence with which to measure and assess his qualifications. I have spent some time observing his administration’s works and accomplishments in Kano state and must say that the man is a lot more active, motivated and engaged than 75% of our incumbent governors!

During the last presidential debate, Sherakau also proved himself to be intelligent, poised, engaging and articulate! The governor gave thoughtful responses and showed decisive insight with respect to some of the more challenging questions, such as Electricity and Niger-Delta issues.  Sherakau has also shown courage and willingness to confront issues in his State and find possible solutions while mostly keeping his administration out of the gaping chasm of ubiquitous corruption charges and financial misappropriation scandals - something that has come to plague and define most projects and governorships in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, a closer look at Sherakau’s leadership style and accomplishment reveals a fundamental flaw and an unfortunate truth. Ibrahim Sherakau is an unapologetic and uncompromising Islamist and hence the reason why I expect him to fail in his national quest. Sherakau has failed to demonstrate a firm understanding of the fundamental principle of the Constitutional mandate, which separates the apparatus and powers of State from the function of religion!

In Kano State, we have been witnesses to the relentless onslaught of the religious police set up by Sherakau’s administration against non-indigenes and non-muslim citizens. It remains the responsibility of any State apparatus to not only uphold the constitutional rights of every Nigerian but also to uphold and defend the rights of the minority in the face of an opposing and oppressive majority! Sherakau would however go on to boldly defend the actions of his religious police without a pause or a single acknowledgement of the possibility of abuse and malfeasance on their part.

A cursory glance at his records and a perusal of Kano State website reveals an endless stream of unconstitutional policies and actions perpetuated by his government. You have a State government using the apparatus of the state to build numerous mosques, paying salaries to Islamic clerics, funding state-wide religious police and several other Islamic organizations, using Islamic laws to prosecute and persecute people of opposing faith and non-indigenous origin. And many more actions that are all in direct contradiction to what the Federal Constitution states!

These are the kinds of parochial, bigoted and insular policies that have helped ensure the backwardness of a state that was once considered somewhat cosmopolitan and progressive. It is both interesting and alarming to note that we also have a presidential aspirant here, who has never considered it important or necessary to gain any of life’s experiences outside of his home state of Kano! If Nigerians have ever had any fear of a religious extremist getting to power, such a fear should be predicated on this man’s ambitious and arrogant interpretation of his mandate as a State Governor - something which will no doubt be repeated if ever he were to be president! More recently, his position has been further fortified by his ascension to the position of Sardauna of Kano – a role which effectively portends his objective of national Islamic preeminence!

Mallam Sherakau acting in his role as the governor of Kano state in 2004 also publicly denounced and opposed the polio vaccination of Kano state indigenes on the grounds that the vaccination campaigns were actually attempts to make Muslim women infertile! It is worthy of note that, assuming those allegations were to have any merits at all, the good governor’s primary concern was not for all citizens of his State, but was reserved for Muslim women only! The Mallam’s prejudices, actions and policies may go down well in Kano state and indeed make him a superstar in the same State where 90% of denizens are muslims and less than 25% have higher than a secondary school education. However, it does not translate to a position of national admiration and popularity nor does it remotely endear him to other parts of the diverse Nation which he now proposes to lead!

Most importantly, Governor Sherakau needs to recognize and understand that the interests, concerns and demands of a diverse Nation like Nigeria precludes him from a leadership role based on his bigoted and prejudiced records as a governor and as a leader. He will also need to understand that the old and tired model and methods of governance as exhibited in Kano – a model whereby the State acts as a paternalistic entity whilst distributing food, shelter, drugs and whatever may, is no longer considered useful, sustainable or relevant to the modern needs and aspirations of a 21st century Nation!

It is worthy of note that Mallam Sherakau has not considered it important to put up a dedicated website to help diffuse information about his intent, aims and objectives in his aspiration for the lofty office of the president of the federation. At least, I could not find any such website. Perhaps, this is an oversight or maybe it is just another important indicator of ineffective leadership style that is firmly entrenched in old ways of doing things!

There is an urgent need in our nation for leadership that is completely liberated from the jurassic shackles of religious and backward ethno-cultural influences. Furthermore, Nigeria today needs someone with superior broad-based cosmopolitan perspective, in action and in thoughts. Someone with an astute understanding of the great responsibilities and possibilities, seizing on opportunities while calming potential dangers that may be presented by the broad spectrum of social and economic indices and resources made available to him as the head of a sovereign National Government.

4.     Gen. Muhammadu Buhari:

General Muhammadu Buhari is a candidate whose military background and history is well known. He also has the distinction of being the candidate who has run for the office of the president the most times! The reticent general is however no stranger to the corridors of power and the responsibilities that comes with it. Having had the privilege of serving Nigeria in various capacities, along with being a former military Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari presents us with a wealth of background information and historical antecedents with which to assess and weigh his presidential aspirations.

Buhari  is most noted for his military administration’s iron fisted handling of the Nigerian nation state. It was his administration, masterminded by his stern deputy – Tunde Idiagbon that introduced the austere but effective social engineering policy called War Against Indiscipline (WAI). Prior to the introduction of (WAI), Nigeria had just been subjected to an extended period of social disorder, political chaos and economic meltdown – one brought about by extreme episodes of malfeasance, acute corruption and mindless political wrangling! It was against this backdrop that Buhari was forced to act and restore some semblance of sanity, order and credibility to public discourse.

Interestingly enough, the situation and state of affairs almost 30 years ago, was not unlike the situation that we now face in Nigeria today. I will make bold to say that the magnitude of indiscipline, chaos and corruption experienced today is much more extreme than it has ever been at any other time in the nation’s history! For his role in history, Buhari has been subjected to much criticism from his detractors for his dictatorial and harsh approach to the social issues in those years! The man however maintains that his stern approach was not only critical and necessary at the time but it was also performed under the terms of military dispensation! Hence we have a man who is loved by many, hated by others but yet respected by most!

At the ripe age of 69, Buhari is closer to the label of being a septuagenarian than that of a youthful and vibrant leader. He alone stands as the oldest of the current crop of aspirants – a dubious distinction that may not necessarily serve him in good stead when being considered by Nigerian voters. Nigerians have come to the point where they are rightfully tired and weary of any representative from the very same degenerate generation that has wasted and squandered the nation’s future away for decades! As Nigerians, we are tired of dealing with the same faces, the same names and the same old ideas!

The demographic orientation of the nation today is youthful and the aspiration of the youth demands dynamism, vibrancy and change. Nigerians now demand and clamor for old ideas to be discarded while new and fresh perspectives are embraced in an effort to find solutions to the socio-economic deadlock that the nation has been saddled with for so long! It is our candid expectation that along with old ideas, the old, sacred and fat vultures of the old order will have enough wisdom to take a back seat and retire into oblivion.

If the truth be told however, Gen. Buhari has much greater credibility than any other person currently on offer! Buhari may be a dinosaur, he is however a credible dinosaur! And we must remember that above all other things, credibility is the one thing that is missing and most needed in our public discourse today. The long list of sensitive positions and offices that this man has held and served in bears witness to a principled, credible and honest but uncommon valor.

Buhari has served in positions ranging from being the Head of State to leading the nation's oil corporation(NNPC). From his service as a governor to his role as a petroleum minister. At the peak of its existence, the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), which Buhari headed, was acting as a parallel national government and disbursed funds that was in excess of several billion dollars! Yet over the years, there has been no worthwhile allegation or credible accusation of misappropriation of public funds and embezzlement by this man – this is not to suggest that the man is a saint by any means! But much rather, his commitment to duty and principle is a breath of fresh air when held up in comparison to the current crop of decadent, reprobate and acutely corrupt public officials and politicians!

Today, Nigeria’s biggest problem is not the issue of civil unrest, it is not the issue of national security, it is not the Niger-Delta issue, it is not the absence of decent physical infrastructure, it is not even the issue of inadequate power supply! The single biggest problem that the nation experiences and suffers from today is that of corruption! Yes…,  viral and acute corruption!! Corruption which has become all pervading and has thus taken on a life of it’s own. Corruption which has become so deeply entrenched in our national fabric and institutionalized in our value system that the core of our collective and national well-being has been ruptured and compromised! It is this same corruption that has provided an ideal platform of decadence, making it possible for all the aforementioned issues to fester, spread and grow into prominence! More than any other candidate that is currently on offer, Muhammadu Buhari stands a better chance to plug the alarming treasury leaks that we currently experience and rid the nation of the deadly and debilitating malaise of corruption!

The pressing needs of Nigeria today, may start with the eradication of viral corruption from public offices, however, that on its own may not catapult the nation to its lofty aim of regional dominance and global preeminence. Alongside credible and sincere representation, Nigerians have a right to expect a whole spectrum of governmental policies, programs and strategies to help achieve the stated objective. Like with the other aspirants, I have taken the liberty of checking on the manifesto and stated vision of the Buhari/Bakare ticket. I must say that the scope and depth of the proposal came to me as a pleasant surprise!

Aside from the fact that the document covers the usual gamut of to do ‘wish list’ voiced by every aspirant. The manifesto went on to detail specific policies, programs and strategies that will be pursued in other to achieve its taunted goals and objectives. Notable amongst these are the proposals to constitutionally eliminate divisive and useless statistical elements such as ‘State of Origin’ and ‘Religion’ and replace it with ‘State of Residence’ – this singular policy if accomplished will thrust the Nation into a new age of post-ethnic harmony, national involvement and an era of unprecedented participation. Other notable proposals include the removal of the' immunity clause' from the constitution and the requirement for full disclosure and transparency in government.

Finally we have a ticket that is willing to take a honest look at the latent inadequacies and limitations of the current federal constitution with regards to the nation’s current needs. The team boldly takes a stab at the current dispensation and makes several promises to amend the constitution to correct multiple instances of constitutional inadequacies and weaknesses. The team also recognizes the need for a leaner, more efficient government while promising a constitutional amendment that guarantees devolution of powers and responsibilities to Local and State governments. Lastly, there is the promise to find a constitutional and lasting solution to the embarrassing issue of national land use act and its attendant problems.

In presenting his team for the current ticket of CPC, Buhari reveals himself to be a man of supple intellect and adaptability. As a person whose antecedence has raised questions about his tendency for Islamic prejudice (whether this is founded or unfounded is another issue), Buhari has gone on to establish beyond all reasonable doubt that his aspirations has no religious slant by choosing a strong, articulate and willful vice presidential candidate from the other side of the religious aisle. The choice of Pastor Bakare is a particularly smart decision which makes the ticket strong in areas where the reticent general was hitherto known to be weak - notable amongst this is in self-articulation, constitutional law and religious tolerance! The general has once again shown a remarkable understanding of the need to choose competent, qualified and complimenting public officers with his very first choice!

Conclusion and Verdict:

The Buhari/Bakare ticket may not be everything to everyone and it certainly is not the solution to all our problems. Nevertheless, it presents a good and solid start. I have always maintained that the bulk of Nigeria's problems is constituted in 40% policy and 60% implementation! The Buhari/Bakare ticket proposes and promises a leadership that understands and recognizes the fundamental need for effective policy and implementation in nation building. Are there things I will like to see improved in the manifesto?? – most certainly! For example, the economic plan is more of a ‘wish list’ than a detailed economic strategy and some more work is needed in this area and some other areas!

I started this exercise without the slightest faith in the entire gamut of presidential aspirants, but the need to find answers to nagging questions has led me on a journey and an adventure of fact discovery – what I have found is not nearly as hopeless as I had earlier presumed! Nigerians have come to a critical crossroad in the story of our national development and the choices made today will impact the lives of generations to come! Therefore, let every Nigerian vote with the understanding that the sum of our collective success is infinitely of greater worth than the selfish aspiration of the individual! There can be no truly great Nigerian without the success of a great Nigerian society! How we make our choices today is history in the making – whether for the better or for the worse! Whether in damnation or in praise, history and posterity will judge this generation based on the actions and the choices of the moment!!

(1) (Reply)

Owerri People Will Vote Ohakim- Amajirionwu / It Is Official, Cpc Acn Alliance Is Over / Masssive Rigging Plan Of The Pdp For G.e.j

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.