Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics (39157 Views)

Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / Umaru Shehu, Biography Of First Professor Emeritus In Northern Nigeria (photos) / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 05, 2021
robosky02:

Hope you are not Biafran?

You sound like one

Well good you know that I am a biafran while you are good at peddling fake information up and down.

You really need to be ashamed of yourself. All you guys histories ends up been forced or paper viral...

Let their achievements seek them out not framing them up to fall in... petty

1 Like

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:25pm On Feb 05, 2021
Love or hate them,Yoruba are pacesetters in Nigeria and have achieved so many firsts,even in Africa at large !

A ji sebi Yoruba l'ari, Yoruba o sebi Baba eni kankan ! We are not just Africans,but special breeds of Africans.

While the great sons and daughters of Odua were making and breaking records,some people forebears were engaging in cross border terrorisms ,land grabbing and pursuance of primitive expansionist agenda. Little wonders,their offsprings are regarded as the fourth deadliest terrorist organization worldwide today ! Useless barbarians from futa njalon !

One idiot (Arewa) will soon be spamming every thread with some useless pictures of some primitive aliens,ugly masquerades on horses backs. F.uck all fulanis in Nigeria and beyond !

3 Likes

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by sheunpompey1: 3:30pm On Feb 05, 2021
I may be wrong... He was the first Professor of Arithmetic...
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by calaharry: 3:32pm On Feb 05, 2021
THIS HISTORY ....
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by blackinitiative: 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2021
OROSUNBOLB:
Love or hate them,Yoruba are pacesetters in Nigeria and have achieved so many firsts,even in Africa at large !

Aji sebi Yoruba l'ari, Yoruba o sebi Baba eni kankan ! We are not just Africans,but special breeds of Africans.
We must stop associating success with religion or tribe.
We Yorubas are no special tribe, at least it has not been evident in our lives.
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by BENEAMATA: 3:46pm On Feb 05, 2021
Se o bu mo ?
Mo bu mmo
Ki lo 'n je mo ?
Mo , mo alade .
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by BannarBannar: 3:56pm On Feb 05, 2021
If this is the first professor of mathematics where will you place Prof Chike Obi who got his in 1959

1 Like

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by KosiGee(m): 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2021
anonym0us:
sad I've said it before and will always say it, the Fulani are out in conquering the west, and install an emir just like they did in Kwara, benue

I was filled with sadness looking at the photo even though I’m no fan of Oba Akiolu. Buhari should’ve been humble enough to reject sitting on that chair. It wasn’t meant for him and he has no business being on it.

I remember Jonathan when he visited Emir of Kano, Sanusi...imagine Sanusi leaving his chair for Jonathan. The north and Arewa would’ve roasted him alive.

I know it’s not my business but somehow I wish Buhari would be struck with some kind of haemorrhoid aka pile plus a week diarrhoea then with volvulus.
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by Prophet777: 4:27pm On Feb 05, 2021
Ekiti people are so brilliant and highly educated. They have the highest number of professors in Nigeria uptil date.

Kudos to them!

2 Likes

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by toprealman: 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2021
chatinent:
One boy, two girls?

Such improper fraction.

2/5 + 3/5= 5/5=1

Respect that baba, first professor of Mathematics deserves all available respect!
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by OROSUNBOLB(m): 4:39pm On Feb 05, 2021
blackinitiative:

We must stop associating success with religion or tribe.
We Yorubas are no special tribe, at least it has not been evident in our lives.

Obviously,you're one of those primitive barbarians whose forebears were known primarily for cross border banditry and terrorism ! You have nothing to be proud of ! Why won't you want everybody to be at your miserable level ?

I tell you again,we are not in the same league as you subhuman primates from the evil forests of known savages. As a people ,Yoruba are known worldwide as a successful Africans who have made indelible marks in all areas of human endeavors. Google is there to educate you on that. Take a look at the newly inaugurated Biden's administration and count the number of Africans,Yoruba that are there ? Of course,you're too dumb to know what that says about the Yoruba as a people.

I can't start educating a dumbass,asinine descendant of criminal terrorists like you on the subject of how great the Yoruba are; it doesn't make an iota of any sense ! I however,don't owe you or your criminal lineage any apology for the obvious truth that the Yoruba are a great people and I'm proud to be one !

You are not Yoruba. We ain't dumb like you slowpoke ! Omo irankiran ;

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by unshakablejihad: 4:40pm On Feb 05, 2021
Randy100:
Ezeilo is the first professor of mathematics. South West media can not come and start this their confusion.

they are shameless,afonjas have been known in nigeria for there self-deceit,lies and propagandas to boast there egos.

the only wizards i know in the history of maths in nigeria are prof obi and ezeilo.

the fxking rest are balderdash..
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by mofedamijo(m): 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2021
Adegoke Olubimmo became a professor in 1964,while Chike Obi became a professor in 1971. Do the maths.
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by unshakablejihad: 5:48pm On Feb 05, 2021
mofedamijo:
Adegoke Olubimmo became a professor in 1964,while Chike Obi became a professor in 1971. Do the maths.

nigga okoye ezeilo was the first professor of mathematics in nigeria in 1964 he obtained his Phd in 1958. while obi was the first nigerian to hold a doctorate in mathematics.

get ur fact right.

2 Likes

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by anonym0us: 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2021
KosiGee:

I was filled with sadness looking at the photo even though though I’m no fan of Oba Akiolu. Buhari should’ve been humble enough to reject sitting in that chair. It wasn’t meant for him and he has no business being on it.

I remember Jonathan when he visited Emir of Kano, Sanusi...imagine Sanusi leaving his chair for Jonathan. The north and Arewa would’ve roasted him alive.

I know it’s not my business but somehow I wish Buhari would be struck with some kind of haemorrhoid aka pile plus a week diarrhoea then with volvulus.
cheesy cheesy cheesy seunmsg
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by Coinbased: 6:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
Really
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by galantjoe(m): 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chike Obi is first Nigerian professor of mathematics

Why onye ofe mmanu
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by SweetDipBenny(m): 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2021
I hate Math
I hate it
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by mcjohny(m): 7:10pm On Feb 05, 2021
Jerryherd:
Better to be an hustler creating wealth that boost the economy than over entitled ASUU prick Professor who teaches meaningless theories that never helps the society
Gaskia ne
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by rahij: 7:52pm On Feb 05, 2021
[That's because Chike Obi was the first Nigerian with a PhD in mathematics and he earned it from M.I.T in 1950.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chike_Obi&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiLt5P-tNPuAhXEu6QKHbNiD2MQFjAKegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0CTdOyKbnxJT1DMLDsu2tA
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by robosky02(m): 9:27pm On Feb 05, 2021
galantjoe:
Chike Obi is first Nigerian professor of mathematics

Why onye ofe mmanu

You are not correct
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by nedekid: 9:45pm On Feb 05, 2021
The head shape alone show say betta brain de papa and pikin grin
God bless them.
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by robosky02(m): 10:00pm On Feb 05, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Well good you know that I am a biafran while you are good at peddling fake information up and down.

You really need to be ashamed of yourself. All you guys histories ends up been forced or paper viral...

Let their achievements seek them out not framing them up to fall in... petty

I like to make the record straight..... I don't just post to make front page but to learn, inform and be educated as well

While it is true that most people while growing up must have heard of Chile Obi, the truth is that he was NOT the first Professor of Mathematics.

In fact their were three renowned mathematician in their days, Dr. Adegoke Olubummo, with James Ezeilo and Chike Obi, ware a trio of black

(indigenous) mathematicians who pioneered modern mathematics research in Nigeria.

Adegoke Olubummo was Nigeria’s first Professor of Mathematics in 1964.

https://oldnaija.com/2020/02/24/adegoke-olubummo-nigerias-first-professor-of-mathematics/

Chike Obi was promoted to Professor of Mathematics at the University of Lagos in 1971 and in the same year became Chairman of the Mathematics Department and Dean of the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences.

The African Mathematics Union suggests that Chike Obi was the first Nigerian to hold a doctorate in mathematic. (Not Professor)

Its also on record that Chile obi at some point went into politics.. Before returning to the academics.

I am sure his exposure to politic made him quite popular..... Unlike Adegoke Olubunmo who focused on the academics.

Note that a person is popular does not mean he is the first.hmmm

Note even James Ezeilo became a professor before Chike obi....even thou Obi seem to be more popular

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chike_Obi

Nairaland is a wonderful forum where you can learn, make fun and also get fresh ideas so be open minded

"Don't make the class your world... Make the world your class." Unlearn what you are use to and relearn new things.

Cc: Galantjoe,

3 Likes

Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by robosky02(m): 10:07pm On Feb 05, 2021
Prof. Adegoke Olubunmo

The 1st Professor of Mathematics in Nigeria

Late Prof. Adegoke Olubunmo, born on April 19, 1923 and died on October 26, 1992, is the first Professor of Mathematics in Nigeria.

Dr. Adegoke Olubummo, with James Ezeilo and Chike Obi, was one of a trio of black (indigenous) mathematicians who pioneered modern mathematics research in Nigeria. He pioneered the establishment of the Forum for Functional Analysis and its Applications and the Nigerian Mathematical Society. Many of his Ibadan students went off to earn the doctorate in mathematics; e.g., T. O. Adewoye, Olusola Akinyele, S. K. Assiamous, V. A. Babola, the Senator S. O. Iyahen, E. O. Oshabi, and O. Popoola.

Professor Olubunmo, who passed on at the age of 69, was apparently the most renowned son of his community during his lifetime and yet was very humble. He was part of the league of eminent Ekiti academics that brought prominence to their fatherland and contributed to the respect accorded the Ekiti for their scholarship and academic brilliance in the history of Nigeria.

He loved his root, home town and associated with them as evident in being among the 1st set of Ekiti elites abroad who built befitting country houses in their respective home towns as far back as 1960s.

Adegoke Olubunmo was the son of the honored first literate Olorin of Orin, H.R.H. Oba William Adekolawolu Olubunmo II and Olori Abigael Osarayi Olubunmo. As a child of parents of high honor, he received an excellent education at Methodist schools in which he worked (Ifaki Methodist School) as a pupil teacher in 1937.

He was born in the early 1920s into a royal family in Orin-Ekiti. He attended Methodist Primary School, Ifaki-Ekiti and concluded his Standard Six at Christ’s School, Ado-Ekiti in 1936/37 which included his name among the 1st set of the foremost school in Ekiti. His quest for higher education did not stop as a Methodist trained and certificated teacher, he proceeded to Freetown and Timbuktu for further studies. How he made the journey to Sierra Leone still remains an unresolved mystery to most of his associates.

A product of Fourah Bay College where he met Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin who was instrumental to his coming to Imade College Owo in 1949 where he worked as a Mathematics and English teacher. Among his students at Imade College was a retired Chief Judge of Ondo State, Justice Adeloye.

In 1951 Professor Olubunmo traveled to Britain and within five years he returned to Nigeria as a PhD holder in Mathematics. Before the turn of a decade he became the first Professor of Mathematics in Nigeria. A testimony of his scholarship and successful academic exploits. His students attested to the fact that punctuality was his hallmark, coupled with brilliance embedded with humility and forthrightness.

He was indeed an embodiment of decency, who imparted convention of respectable behavior to the people around him and this he did by example and certainly not by precept.

To this writer it was a privilege growing-up to know the erudite Professor Olubunmo as a devoted person to his true friends as evident in his condolence message to the family subsequent to the transition of Chief D.O. Adetunmbi, I quote: “Accept my sympathy on the transition of a man I know was very close to you as a father and friend.

You can all take consolation in the certain knowledge that your father lived a truly wonderful life in all respects. For my part, I count myself most fortunate to be numbered among his friends, to have shared his experiences, his joys and sorrows and his deep friendship, sincerity and loyalty for over fifty years. May his great soul rest in peace”

Professor Olubunmo was someone with strong passion for traditional ceremonies and cultural events. He was strict yet kind and approachable. Every opportunity he had he was always bringing his nucleus family to Ekiti to enable them interact with his siblings, relations and family friends. He was inclined to planning his visits to Ekiti such that it afforded him the opportunity to see some annual traditional festivals in his community and environs.

There were few instances when his family came to join his very close ally the Adetunmbis to see Ikosun and Okorobo festivals at Ifaki as far back as 1960s. He had a very liberal disposition to life which explained his inter-tribal marriage to his beloved wife of Calabar origin. Like every other mortal he had his own share of low periods when he lost his devoted wife and mother of his three brilliant children in the late 1970s.

He was a pleasant family man who was blessed with and survived by Yewande, a First Class product of University of Ibadan, under the age of 20 years, Ronke, Gboyega a software Engineer based in USA and Mrs Olubunmo who took care of him until his transition. He retired from the University of Ibadan to take up an appointment with his budding home state institution, Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti where he served meritoriously until his transition in October 1992 and his body was laid to rest on November 14 1992.

All three of Adegoke Olubummo’s children are mathematicians. His daugher, Yewande Olubummo, is currently in the United States of America in the capacity of an assistant Professor of Mathematics at Spelman College.

Source:
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2006/oct/306.html
http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PEEPS/olubummo_adegoke.html
Re: About Adegoke Olubummo: Nigeria’s First Professor Of Mathematics by galantjoe(m): 10:08pm On Feb 05, 2021
robosky02:

I like to make the record straight..... I don't just post to make front page but to learn, inform and be educated as well

While it is true that most people while growing up must have heard of Chile Obi, the truth is that he was NOT the first Professor of Mathematics.

In fact their were three renowned mathematician in their days, Dr. Adegoke Olubummo, with James Ezeilo and Chike Obi, ware a trio of black

(indigenous) mathematicians who pioneered modern mathematics research in Nigeria.

Adegoke Olubummo was Nigeria’s first Professor of Mathematics in 1964.

https://oldnaija.com/2020/02/24/adegoke-olubummo-nigerias-first-professor-of-mathematics/

Chike Obi was promoted to Professor of Mathematics at the University of Lagos in 1971 and in the same year became Chairman of the Mathematics Department and Dean of the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences.

The African Mathematics Union suggests that Chike Obi was the first Nigerian to hold a doctorate in mathematic. (Not Professor)

Its also on record that Chile obi at some point went into politics.. Before returning to the academics.

I am sure his exposure to politic made him quite popular..... Unlike Adegoke Olubunmo who focused on the academics.

Note that a person is popular does not mean he is the first.hmmm

Note even James Ezeilo became a professor before Chike obi....even thou Obi seem to be more popular

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chike_Obi

Nairaland is a wonderful forum where you can learn, make fun and also get fresh ideas so be open minded

"Don't make the class your world... Make the world your class." Unlearn what you are use to and relearn new things.

Cc: Galantjoe,

Thank you for setting the record straigh.

I was a history student in my secondary school days, I thought he was first professor but now I understood he was first doc in maths.

Thank u once again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Redeemer's University Slashes Postgraduate Fees, Msc. & MA Now Tuition Free / Olabode Wale Ojoniyi Reacts To "Sex Scandal Video" / OAU VC, Ogunbodede, Speaks On Sex For Mark Scandal By Richard Akindele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.