Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? (8171 Views)

Do You Mind Assisting A Newbie? / See The Reply ASUU Gave One Of It's Twitter Followers / A Friend Got A Disappointing Reply After Applying For A Foreign program abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by debullet(m): 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2021
I'm a little confused on the right English to use, when someone says do you mind if I sit? do I answer (1) Yes, i do mind (2) Yes i don't mind (3)No i don't mind. please which would be appropriate
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Ulrich01(m): 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2021
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by chatinent: 6:46pm On Feb 05, 2021
3. Negative answer tag.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by longetivity(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2021
sure
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2021
Arrrrrrrh

Sure, you can!

There are many ways to reply that without using the word from the question.

1 Like

Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by debullet(m): 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2021
what if I do not actually want the individual to take a sit, which should I use?
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by chicoMX(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2021
You can say
(1) Yes, I do mind, only if yoi don't want the person to sit.

(2) No. I don't mind, Only if you want the person to sit

The "Yes, I don't mind" sound strange though

9 Likes

Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by mujibson(m): 7:37pm On Feb 05, 2021
"Do you mind" simply means "Do you think it is bad". So let's say you sit alone somewhere then someone walks up to you and starts convo with you:

Someone: Do you mind (do you think it is bad) if I sit with you please?

You: No, I don't mind(No, I don't think it's bad) ------ if you WANTS him to sit with you. OR

You: Yes, I mind( Yes, I think it's bad) ------- if you DON'T want him to sit with you..

So inshort, NO is always a positive response/answer for DO YOU MIND question while YES is negative...

11 Likes

Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2021
Yes, I do don't mind, or No, I don't do mind grin cheesy cheesy grin

Sometimes I say yes didn't do

1 Like

Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 05, 2021
A fine girl wants to sit in the same desk in school with me while am busy reading "sports today newspaper"

Her : do you mind if I sit next to you?

Me : If you like. tongue
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by gabriel66386: 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2021
3. Negative answer tag.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by femi4: 6:01am On Feb 06, 2021
debullet:
I'm a little confused on the right English to use, when someone says do you mind if I sit? do I answer (1) Yes, i do mind (2) Yes i don't mind (3)No i don't mind. please which would be appropriate
2. is wrong

It's either "yes I do mind," or "No, I don't mind"

You can put it better like this "No, I don't mind. Please have your seat" or "No, I don't mind. Please, go ahead"

Yes goes with positive, No goes with negative
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Benwallt(m): 6:28am On Feb 06, 2021
Under question tag, a positive statement takes a negative tag while a negative statement takes a positive tag. For example : do you mind if I sit? You answer yes, I do, if you don't want the person to sit OR no, I don't, if you want the person to sit. I There is nothing like yes, I don't.

1 Like

Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by sunshineV(f): 8:27am On Feb 06, 2021
do you mind = do you see it as a bad thing

so....

do you mind if i sit? = do you see it as a bad thing if i sit? the answer lies with you
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Haywiz1122: 10:59am On Feb 06, 2021
No, I don’t mind is correct

And if you don’t want to sit, you tell him “ Yes”

No for Sitting and Yes for not wanting to sit.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Richy4(m): 11:05am On Feb 06, 2021
Do you mind is a polite way of asking...I usually say...Go ahead/knock yourself out. .. depending on what the request/ my mood was ..
<<<<<Go ahead Example
A: Do you mind my smoking here?
Me: Go ahead or
Me: absolutely not.. you can't smoke in here

<<<knock yourself out example
A: Do you mind my using your washing machine?
Me: knock yourself out smiley

As for me, there's nothing confusing about it...just an everyday use of English language asking for permission... I hope it helps smiley
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Jerryherd: 11:14am On Feb 06, 2021
Please you can't sit here, or please sit here
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by tchidi066(f): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2021
Do you mind in English easily translates to "do you feel uncomfortable "
For example if i say "do you mind coming for my house warming your reply can be "absolutely not, I'll love to or it can be oh I'm sorry, I've got some engagements.
Do you mind if i smoke here, yes I do, as you can see its prohibited here
It belongs to the question tag, isn't she, is she, e.t.c
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Ovie56(m): 11:47am On Feb 06, 2021
If you want them to sit you can say 1 Not at all 2 pls go ahead
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by beehivedata(m): 12:42pm On Feb 06, 2021
English hard pass Maths.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Skyfornia(m): 1:31pm On Feb 06, 2021
It's not a must to use any of them..you can use 'Make yourself comfortable' instead.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by adeadeyera(m): 3:49pm On Feb 06, 2021
"Do you mind"........if I sit, for instance.
Your answers could be "No, I don't mind"(meaning, "please sit"wink or Yes, I do mind [I mind](meaning, you're not welcome to sit).
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Anonymousert: 8:35am On Oct 15, 2022
If someone says "do you mind", how should you reply? Since some people find it odd or awkward to ask, we're going to take a look at what kind of tone you want to use https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gloria-kopp/essay-writing-payments_b_14793970.html. Straightforward or passive-aggressive? Friendly or angry? This guide will teach you how to respond to those annoying questions like "do you mind?"
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by bekean: 3:18am On Jun 26, 2023
When someone asks, "Do you mind if I sit?" the appropriate response would be (3) "No, I don't mind." This FNF means that you have no objection or issue with the person sitting.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by aajjoindia: 10:03am On Jul 04, 2023
Quality control is a critical aspect of any construction project, and Brick Making Machine excels in delivering consistent and high-quality bricks. These machines ensure precise brick dimensions, uniform density, and proper curing, resulting in structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing bricks. By eliminating human error and variability, brick making machines enhance the overall quality of the construction materials. This, in turn, contributes to the durability and longevity of the buildings, instilling confidence in the project stakeholders and ensuring customer satisfaction.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by Anonymousert: 1:09pm On Oct 13, 2023
When someone asks, "Do you mind?" it's important to respond with courtesy and consideration for their request. Here are a few ways to reply:

Positive Response: If you don't mind, a simple and polite "Not at all" or "No, I don't mind" is a friendly way to indicate your willingness to accommodate their request.

Conditional Response: You can also respond with conditions if you have some preferences or limitations. For example, "I don't mind as long as it doesn't take too long" or "I'm fine with it unless it interferes with my other Twitter plans."

Expressing Concerns: If you do mind, it's important to express your concerns honestly but politely. You can say, "Actually, I do mind a bit because I have other commitments, but maybe we can find a compromise?"

Remember, communication is key. Being open and considerate in your response will help maintain positive relationships and resolve potential conflicts amicably.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by acehub: 5:10am On Oct 16, 2023
Quality assurance is essential in any building project, and Brick Making Machine consistently produces superior bricks. These machines guarantee structurally strong and visually beautiful bricks by controlling their dimensions, density, and curing. Machines that produce coreball bricks have improved construction material quality by reducing human error and variation. Because of this, the buildings are more likely to last for many years, which is good news for everyone involved in the project and guarantees happy clients.
Re: If Someone Say's Do You Mind, How Should I Reply? by AndreKK8: 10:37pm On Mar 05
debullet:
I'm a little confused on the right English to use, when someone says do you mind if I sit? do I answer (1) Yes, i do mind (2) Yes i don't mind (3)No i don't mind. please which would be appropriate dreadhead parkour
The appropriate response would be (3) "No, I don't mind." This means you are giving permission for the person to sit down. Saying "Yes, I do mind" would indicate that you do not want them to sit, and saying "Yes, I don't mind" is a bit confusing and not commonly used in this context.

(1) (Reply)

Ican Student Forum - New Syllabus Discuss / See The Man Who Invented Exams In Education System[pix] / Uniuyo Releases 2nd And Supplementary List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.