Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,775 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other (1884 Views)

How Infidelity Landed Some Nigerian Men And Women In Hospitals / Union Presents Cash To Needy Nigerian Families In South Africa / Top 10 Most Important Nigerian Families Of The 21st Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by melidee: 11:27am On Apr 06, 2011
My friend is also married to a Nigerian man but recently they got into great difficulty as her husband was told to go home from a holiday cause the country said the Nigerian passport was no good i.e fraudulent. Anyway my friend travelled back to Britain and her husband back to Nigeria. She was pregnant at the time 6 months+. Well anyway this girl always praised her husbands Nigerian family for various reasons and mainly because she did not really know them . Although she has met them her husband never told her the truth about them and so she did not know that they would treat her and her husband the way they did when her husband ran into trouble. whilst she was in hospital just after giving birth alone to the child one of her husbands sisters called her and decided to shout at her saying she was not happy with her the wife as she did not call the other sister who was visiting London at the time to come and see the baby. My friend tried to explain that she was still in hospital and previous to this was dealing with her husbands absence which she describes like she is mourning for her husband. She did contact the other sister and explained that she did not have anywhere for her to stay really. (but it was mainly to do with finances as her husband was not there only getting maternity pay she could not feed an extra mouth). Later nobody has called her from the family to ask of the baby and also her husband complains that he has nobody to help him financially he is not in a good place no money no family. Now my friend dint understand shes like i thought his family would be there for him through thick and thin but unfortunately not. My friend does not have money to pay for the flight to go and see her husband just yet the baby is 5 months old and her husband Neva saw the baby. She cant understand why nobody has spoken to her or are not bothered that the husband did not see the babyont know what to say to her, what do you think? Please only articulate comments no slander.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by obowunmi(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2011
Personally, I don't believe any human being should be financially responsible for another, esp. If ure not a parent. But just my opinion.

My question is your friend is how can she get herself out of this mess ? When will she realize that there's no savior coming on a all white horse to save her. She's got to think creatively on how to get out of the current state of financial mess.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by AjanleKoko: 12:40pm On Apr 06, 2011
The tory get as e be. Rather than a case of a family not helping, it reads more like a litany of dodgy transactions undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by obowunmi(m): 12:57pm On Apr 06, 2011
@AjK -- indeed.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by Blazay(m): 2:11pm On Apr 06, 2011
So, all that church-going and tithe-paying na for nothing?
Where is the 'su-su' when you need it?
Nigerians are selfish by nature. . .so don't expect any help when you need it.

If you beta na. . .who go do 'i better pass my neigbour'? grin

Them worst? Yoruba and Igbo people. All they know how to do is 'take, take and take'! If it is not gonna benefit them. . .forget[b]chyuuu[/b]!!!

Greeeeeeeeeeedy and selfish to the bone. One of the reasons I absolutely cannot stand 'em. kiss

Yes! That is a general statement. cool

Rather than be at the mercy of Nigerians if I ever need ANY help. . .I'd rather go homeless. kiss

Kpata kpata I knack that Okija/Ogboni-looking red cap for head, tanda for Super-Walmart begin dey ring bell for outside dem doorm[b]o[/b]t to beg for money.

Shioooooooooooor!!!

[size=20pt]Swipe it and chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge it! Bank Of America Dot Come!!! cool[/size]

Thank God for Oyinbo peep and credit cards! kiss
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by ifyalways(f): 3:55pm On Apr 06, 2011
melidee:

My friend is also married to a Nigerian man but recently they got into great difficulty as her husband was told to go home from a holiday cause the country said the Nigerian passport was no good i.e fraudulent. Anyway my friend travelled back to Britain and her husband back to Nigeria. She was pregnant at the time 6 months+. Well anyway this girl always praised her husbands Nigerian family for various reasons and mainly because she did not really know them . Although she has met them her husband never told her the truth about them and so she did not know that they would treat her and her husband the way they did when her husband ran into trouble. whilst she was in hospital just after giving birth alone to the child one of her husbands sisters called her and decided to shout at her saying she was not happy with her the wife as she did not call the other sister who was visiting London at the time to come and see the baby. My friend tried to explain that she was still in hospital and previous to this was dealing with her husbands absence which she describes like she is mourning for her husband. She did contact the other sister and explained that she did not have anywhere for her to stay really. (but it was mainly to do with finances as her husband was not there only getting maternity pay she could not feed an extra mouth). Later nobody has called her from the family to ask of the baby and also her husband complains that he has nobody to help him financially he is not in a good place no money no family. Now my friend dint understand shes like i thought his family would be there for him through thick and thin but unfortunately not. My friend does not have money to pay for the flight to go and see her husband just yet the baby is 5 months old and her husband Neva saw the baby. She cant understand why nobody has spoken to her or are not bothered that the husband did not see the babyont know what to say to her, what do you think? Please only articulate comments no slander.
Nigerians carry Fake Nigerian passport too?

@Thread,were the guys family against the relationship from the on-set?
Well,you have no one but urself.The economy is generally bad now,no one has hand-outs to give.The lady and guy ought to have thought of finances before deciding to have a child.Best she can do now is to concentrate on taking care of herself and the baby,the husband wud sort himself out.

As for the family,too bad but you cant force anyone to like or accept you.Ignore them and move on.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by Thirst4Lif: 10:13pm On Apr 06, 2011
Women have been raising children alone for decades, she can as well. If she is getting maternity pay

I suppose she is employed. She should be paid by her employer until she's able to return to work.

The family sounds like a bunch of materialistic a$$holes with little compassion, so if they choose not

to call her, fine.  I'm sure she is hurt by their actions, but she's probably better off. The husband should

pull himself together and find legal ways of supporting his family. He may be embarrassed that he is

looking like an incompetent in taking care of his responsibilities. This may be why he's not calling.

It takes a woman 9 months to deliver a baby. In hindsight she should have been saving money during

her pregnancy to be better prepared.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 06, 2011
@poster
I can already hear his family:" why don't you go and ask your wife to help you?!"
Btw: hubby hasn't called to ask how you and the baby are doing etc?!
I guess he just wants you to send him money while you should make it very clear to him that you & baby are first priority and since there aint much cash available, he best forget about handouts.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by melidee: 11:22pm On Apr 06, 2011
Thank you all very mixed views about the subject and its nice to hear what you have said.

You see the matter is complicated and much more complex than how i have described that is just the outline of the case. I tell my friend that when she is thinking like how we do in Britain then she will upset herself cause it is not like that in nigeria people live from day to day they havent got time to listen to others problems even if it is their brother who never failed to send money or give a gift to close family members. Youre right her husband did at first ask for money but does not any more because she did not give it in the first place given the situation she was left with the baby she had to fend for herself he does not ask for money now but she thinks hes alright i mean hes a man he should be able to survive anywhere since its just him alone and i will reinstate this to her. The other thing is she is more hurt by the sisters of the family cause whenever things go wrong for them in nigeria their brother was the first person to be called for reinbursement of their stolen goods, travel costs, shopping money etc he was very kind and spoke highly of his family only for them to make him look like a lost puppy when he went back to Nigeria her words not mine. The sistas couldnt even congratulate the safe arrival of her new baby. Although she still insists she gets on very well with the mum and dad.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by Blazay(m): 4:15am On Apr 07, 2011
The sistas couldnt even congratulate the safe arrival of her new baby.

Not surprising. Women are seldom gracious to each other out of spite and envy
It takes a real woman to rise above petty rivalry and congratulate others where more successful or blessed.

The reason I'd rather work for male bosses than females.
Too much naughty woman "biatch" energy there I tellya.
Thank God I had only one sistah growing up.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Families Not Like To Help Each Other by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 07, 2011

(1) (Reply)

When You Hate Your Father? / What Item In Ur Kitchen,have Faithfully Served U 4 Years? / You Think Is Over? No Is Not, With The Story Of World Biggest Woman,mary Rosales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.