Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales (22388 Views)

Anambra Govt Accuses Newspaper Vendors Of Blackmail / Abuja Newspaper Vendors Protest Over Killing Of Their Colleague By Speaker Aide / Hate Speech: Lai Mohammed Says Online Media Will Start Paying 5M Naira Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by lalasticlala(m): 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2021
Newspaper vendors in Awka, Anambra state, have urged the federal government to save their business from going extinct and also limit the scope of online media publications.

Emeka Nweze, chairman of the Anambra Newspaper Distribution Association, Awka chapter, said this in an interview with NAN on Saturday.

Digital news outlets have become increasingly popular in recent years as readers prefer to read the news online than offline.

Due to this readership shift, most print editions, broadcast and radio stations now have digital platforms to meet up with online users’ demand.

Nweze said the activities of online media publications have taken a huge toll on newspaper sales and this has led to low patronage.

“This development has seriously threatened our businesses as we hardly sell up to 100 papers in a day,”
he said.

“I was, for instance, supplied 89 copies of vanguard newspaper for the week but sold only 30 copies.

“I received 75 copies of Sun newspaper but sold only 26 copies; 15 copies of Nation newspaper but sold only six copies; and four copies of Punch newspaper and sold none.”

Nweze said prior to now, he used to sell all the newspaper stock in a day but nowadays people prefer to source news from online publications without verifying their authenticity.

“Our businesses are presently sustained by paid advertorials, job vacancy placements and other forms of advertorials,” he said.

“We earnestly hope for a change in fortunes and still believe that newspapers have more merits than online publications.

“Government should consider the fact that newspaper vendors depend on commissions and when newspapers are not sold, might be induced to seek alternative means of survival.”

The chairman said he has been engaged in newspaper sales for 34 years and has not experienced the sort of “sales drought” currently being experienced.

Nancy Okoye, another newspaper vendor, told NAN that the federal government could enact laws that would sustain newspaper sales while enabling digital publications to thrive.

Okoye appealed to news publishers to curtail their online publications among other news contents, to keep newspaper vendors in business.

https://www.thecable.ng/extra-newspaper-vendors-lament-sales-drought-ask-fg-to-limit-online-media/amp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by IamWonderful: 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2021
ok
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Loner97(m): 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2021
So true but unfortunately this wouldnt stop anytime soon as technology continues to make things easier for humans

182 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by dokyOloye: 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2021
This has also negatively affected Lagos-Ibadan brown envelope journalists cos there is scarcity of brown envelopes.
Now,everybody with as little as a cheap China phone is a reporter,the narrative is no longer controlled by a gang.
We now know which tribe is the most intelligent,who does money ritual most etc as against the lies peddled for decades by amala and gbegiri brown envelope journalists grin

173 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by johnmartus(m): 8:47pm On Feb 06, 2021
Mr man this is not stone age.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by inoki247: 8:47pm On Feb 06, 2021
The country just dey go reverse...

Maybe they should kukuma ban phone mak we go bak to Landline...

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by starbuck(f): 8:53pm On Feb 06, 2021
It's a pity to the vendors
They should rather look for another source of income

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Nightalan: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2021
The extinction of print media is certain, information is now digitalized.

119 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Hadley02(f): 8:58pm On Feb 06, 2021
Lol,i feel their pain.

Check my profile for James Hadley Chase Novels
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Hadley02(f): 8:59pm On Feb 06, 2021
I feel their pain.

Check my profile for James Hadley Chase Novels
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Felixalex(m): 9:01pm On Feb 06, 2021
Hehehe

Lai Mohamed go soon ban online news websites

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 06, 2021
grin... Typical LAZY Nigerians! Go online and compete! Stop waiting for the government to spoon-feed you lazy clowns!

Nigeria must better.

seborrhic:

Please educate us all on how newspaper vendors are to compete online.By selling the newspapers online?
Or you simply don't understand what the report is all about.

My brother, thecable is the source of this info which you read via Nairaland. Other bloggers are also reporting it... They are the online "vendors".... They get paid via Ads. You have to be creative.

God bless Nigeria.

seborrhic:

Gosh!Very terrible education u got.
These are VENDORS,those that sell newspapers,not the PRINT OWNERS or PUBLISHERS, complaining.
I wonder if some of you read posts upside down.

Lol, my brother, read my post again. Those that sell/hawk newspapers are the vendors. They can be bloggers online, reposting news items and promoting them, just like bloggers do... It's still the same thing. The only difference is that you get paid via Ads online...

I made an example using Nairaland. You read this report (of Thecable newspaper) via Nairaland (online vendor).. Other bloggers (vendors) have also reported this same report (of Thecable).. Now they drive traffic to their site by promoting it, and other "news items" on social media, thereby driving traffic to their sites.. They are paid for this traffic (we are the traffic) via Ads..

Hope you understand now?

God bless Nigeria.

22 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by TONIOI: 9:01pm On Feb 06, 2021
Una just dey start
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by daddytime(m): 9:01pm On Feb 06, 2021
Print media wey be say na online dem Dey lift most of their rumors/unconfirmed news from?

Make una take to Agriculture abeg
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Gidagreen(m): 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2021
The cameramen was sent on compulsory retirement by mass production of camera phones and selfie stands, Bulky Oxford dictionary is now compressed in our mobile phones, Human actions and content that cannot be performed by computer is the saviour of TV shows. People need to be innovative and be creative in doing their work smartly. Do things the computer cannot do, that's how to be relevant in this digital generation

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by SouthWestBlood(m): 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2021
You mean they want Buhari to take the country backward again? He just did so 2 days ago by banning Cryptocurrency. Well, Buhari loves taking the country backwards, so I won't be surprised if he listens to these stone-age men.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by HopeVictor(m): 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2021
Most people self at the newspaper stand don't even buy it they just read it there,argue and go home..at least suya and roasted corn sellers still buy it..The world is digital there's nothing they can do about it.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by dele1727: 9:03pm On Feb 06, 2021
dokyOloye:
This has also negatively affected Lagos-Ibadan brown envelope journalists cos there is scarcity of brown envelopes.
Now,everybody with as little as a cheap China phone is a reporter,the narrative is no longer controlled by a gang.
We now know which tribe is the most intelligent,who does money ritual most etc as against the lies peddled for decades by amala and gbegiri brown envelope journalists grin

You see the news is from Anambra...

I hope you can read

10 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Iamfragile: 9:04pm On Feb 06, 2021
Mumu wants the FG to curtail online news because on him own belle. I never for ones in my life bought news paper.

3 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by kabillionaire(m): 9:05pm On Feb 06, 2021
so that we go gather around their newspaper stand dey argue about how many people fulani herdsmen kill for bush abi?
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by iamyemiakins(m): 9:07pm On Feb 06, 2021
Wo, make una meuve with the world digitally jare
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Akfrenzy(m): 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2021
make we return back to stone ages nah
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by iamyemiakins(m): 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2021
Founder/CEO and two supermods on a thread at once

7 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Nobody: 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2021
THIS ONE GO HARD O

Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by slivertongue: 9:10pm On Feb 06, 2021
newspapers are expensive
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Uyi168: 9:13pm On Feb 06, 2021
Same thing with those recharge card sellers..
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by Flexherbal(m): 9:13pm On Feb 06, 2021
Change is what they call it.
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by dfrost: 9:13pm On Feb 06, 2021
cheesy grin

In Nigeria, we always find someone to blame. cheesy grin
Re: Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales by BruncleZuma: 9:13pm On Feb 06, 2021
Not standing committees...but online media...not their overly advert infused clickbaity websites...but online media.

Buhari kuku ban internet gaba daya make we rest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obasanjo And Friends Laughing Hard At Atiku / Abike Dabiri Meets Augustine Nwagbara, Nigerian Professor Dismissed In Ghana / Buhari Raises Committee On Ministers Portfolios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.