Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle (14235 Views)

Governor Uzodimma Donates #30million To Cattle Traders / Ebonyi: Osinbajo Assures Of Justice After Herders Attacks, Communal Clashes / Obasanjo To Cattle Breeders: Peace Must Return To Southwest 'REVIEW' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Urchman27(m): 12:04pm On Feb 13, 2021
A farmer, Sunday Ahmed and two of his friends were working on Ahmed’s farms at Owobamigbe village in the Akure South Local Government Area of Ondo State on January 21, 2020, when some herdsmen allegedly appeared with cattle to graze on the farm. But Sunday and his friends resisted them especially as they had just planted some crops.

A fight ensued and the armed herdsmen overpowered Ahmed and his friends. The two friends fled to inform members of the community but Ahmed was unable to escape and he was allegedly seriously inflicted with machete cuts by the herders.

Ahmed said, “On that day, around 2 pm, I was working on the farm alongside two of my friends when we suddenly saw the herdsmen leading their cattle into my farm. We challenged them to get the cows away from the farm. But instead of leaving, they brought out machetes and started chasing us. It was when I fell down while running that they inflicted machete cuts on my leg. The herders were three and armed.”

Similarly, in Obasooto community in the Idanre Local Government Area of the state, another farmer identified as Idowu Olatuja is counting losses as some herders took their cows to graze on his farm. The cows allegedly ate up the cassava, pineapple, plantain and cocoyam in his farm in one night. He said he wept like a baby when he got to his farm the next day and saw the level of destruction done by the cows.

Olatuja added, “The herdsmen first invaded my wife’s farm with their cows 10 days earlier and returned to destroy my farm and the rest of my wife’s farm.”

Apart from grazing cows in farms, some criminal herdsmen have been accused of kidnapping, killing, maiming and raping in many parts of the South-West. The situation led to the order by the Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, to the herdsmen on January 18, 2021, to vacate forest reserves within seven days. The governors in the region also met with the leadership of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria over the matter and agreed to ban all forms of open grazing in the South-West. The governors had earlier established Amotekun through the Western Nigeria Security Network to tackle the festering insecurity in the region.

Killer herdsmen were said to be responsible for the death of Mrs Funke Olakunri, daughter of the leader of the Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, in 2019, a former captain of the country’s scrabble team, Paul Sodje and ex-Assistant Registrar of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Pastor Amos Arijesuyo.

Some farmers in the state have lamented the destruction of their farms by herdsmen, noting that the development was threatening farming. A former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Chief Olu Falae, has been a victim of criminal herders. Apart from being kidnapped in 2015, Falae, who is also a former Minister of Finance, was said to have lost a substantial amount of money to the herdsmen.

In a recent interview, Falae said, “It is 32 years that I started operating the farm. And the cattle and their owners became a veritable threat or tool for harassment in the last four to five years. At first, they would come in the night to drink water. We were tolerant and they did not stay there.

“We told them, just drink water and go; I did not allow them. Later, they would come in the night, eat our maize and go. I complained to their people more than 10 times. Later still, elements of the same people kidnapped me. They burnt the non-crop area because the grass was already dry. Cows don’t eat dry grass. They burnt it so that fresh grass will grow. They were already breeding my grass as if it was their land.”

Also in a Save our Soul letter to the Commander of Amotekun, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, Falae urged the security outfit to save his farm from the incessant invasion by herdsmen. It was gathered that over 100 people work on the farm and any attack on it could affect their livelihoods.

The letter titled, “Attacks on my farm by Fulani herdsmen,’’ read, “In the last few weeks, Fulani herdsmen came into my maize farm twice to eat up and trample large sessions of the farm. I reported the incidents to the state Chairman, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Garba Bello, nothing has happened.

In the last few days, they have gone to attack my citrus farm by stealing harvested oranges and destroying what they could not carry away. The police on security duty on the farm were sent to drive them away. But they have been coming back every night to attack my workers in our camp, breaking their doors and carting away all belongings. Please let Amotekun save us and our livelihood. They kidnapped me on September 21, 2015; they should not be allowed to do it again.”

https://punchng.com/were-hungry-jobless-after-herders-fed-our-crops-to-cows-ondo-farmers/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1613209125

1 Share

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by mike8804: 12:09pm On Feb 13, 2021
how many people has IPOB killed? And how many IPOB members been killed? kanu created IPOB(indigenous people of Biafra) just like People created Arewa consultative forum(ACF) and miyetti Allah. those are socio cultural groups and under the constitution we have the right to association. he recently created ESN in response to the actions of killer herdsmen... less we forget ESN(against herdsmen and Igbos) is not legal entity same has OPC(enemies of Yorubas),agbekoya(protect farmers), herdsmen militant (against cattle rustlers). What is good for the goose is good for the gander. mean while though Kanu is not perfect with his utterances but many have made such worse utterances without any arrest or castigations. Let this hypocrisy stop, the southern leaders work together and protect the southern front

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Markbrowny: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2021
Yoruba don enter one chance

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Bishop7170: 12:18pm On Feb 13, 2021
This governors don't care at all.

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Tranquillity360: 12:22pm On Feb 13, 2021
Ibos must leave our land.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Asgard13: 12:25pm On Feb 13, 2021
Bishop7170:
This governors don't care at all.

Not governors

YORUBA PEOPLE DONT CARE NEITHER HAVE ANY FIVCK TO GIVE

MENTION IGBOS AND THEY WILL ALL WAKE WITH TIGER FIST..
Ready to bite and eat.....

Meanwhile na fear geh them..

They love to mock igbos because they’re peaceful
THEY FEAR VIOLENCE... BUT WILL GINGER SAME AGAINST OTHER NIGERIA TRIBES

NA DIA WAY BE THAt

Me just Dey pity their elderly ones left in those ghost villages they call town and cities

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2021
Your have the position of VP and that of Speaker of the House, how can you people be hungry? Aren't you people the 99%ers again? Nawa for this kind news. The people that should be complaining of hunger are the 5%ers.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2021
Chai, this is very sad. I feel very sad reading what genuine hardworking Nigerians are going through in the hands of these herdsmen. It is not fair, injustice is injustice everywhere no matter who is affected.

God is you people’s strength.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Jax1: 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2021
They didn't fight any war, they are already hungry. Should there be war on Yoruba land versus Nigeria, that means, within one week, the entire Yoruba nation would starve to death.

Now, they are feeling a pinch of that which the igbos felt for three years under constant bombardment. grin

Life is crazy grin

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by BigSarah(f): 1:29pm On Feb 13, 2021
Nawa o
Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by overall90: 1:37pm On Feb 13, 2021
the herdsmen were three in number with matchets and you and your colleagues were three in number and you guys could not engage them rather you people were running until you fell grin

Ndi ujo

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by FalseProphet1(m): 1:37pm On Feb 13, 2021
I see yourbas becoming an endangered specie if they continue to fold their hands. This I have seen.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
If we tell Lai Mohammed and Femi Adesina they will say the media is over-exagerrating it and call it all fake news.
Yoruba's Monarchs have been compromised in this situation. The Ooni that we thought went to report the atrocities to Buhari in Abuja have suddenly kept mute after it was said that Buhari sealed his mouth with dollars sad

18 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by JosephXavier: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
We the Yorubas will support and defend Buhari with the last drop of our blood

We helped him win 2015/2019 election and we don't regret it

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Sebastine1994(m): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
must we react to every news

sometimes just sit back and watch
Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Inkling(f): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
We are trapped, choked, suffocated, oppressed, repressed, belittle, disgraced, bullied, maimed, ridiculed, gagged, raped, brutalized, dismembered, crushed sad, crucified cry

1 Like

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Obijulius: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2021
All Igbos should avoid the following:

1. Lekki Toll Gate Protests

2. Hausa/Fulani vs Yoruba clashes in Oyo.

3. Any civil rights movement in the South West.

4. Fulani excesses in Yoruba land

Please don’t tweet, share, comment.

Allow them face their issues. Be reasonable for now and heed to the Yorubas request that we don’t get involved in their issues.

Do this and know peace.

They are currently looking for a way to blame the Igbos for all their failures.

82 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by bigdammyj: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2021
Noted

1 Like

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Creditalerts: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2021
Ametokuuuuuuu grin

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by SouthNigerian: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2021
What more evidence does my leaders here in SW need to know that buhari and his cohorts are preparing for war?

They have been deliberately cutting out food production from this side of the country so food scarcity would be a problem when the war starts fully. They are doing everything to make us the Oduduwans to depend on them for food.

Are our leaders too blind to see? Or cheap politics have caused them deafness?

I'm no longer understanding what is going on with my leaders on this part.

7 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by DamnnNiggarr: 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2021
shocked

Apart from grazing cows in farms, some criminal herdsmen have been accused of kidnapping, killing, maiming and raping in many parts of the South-West.
Ipob again.
Igbos please leave these people alone,
Stop raping their women and making their farmers go hungry and jobless.
The Yorubas are accommodating in nature,
They gave us free land, free accommodation, free food, everything free, this is what we Igbos used in paying them back, it's not fair in all honesty.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Brendaniel: 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2021
when would this people learn?

3 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by FastLane25(m): 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2021
whatever we say or do will not help the matter..
herdsmen cattle matter get as e be
Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by JosephXavier: 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2021
JosephXavier:
We the Yorubas will support and defend Buhari with the last drop of our blood

We helped him win 2015/2019 election and we don't regret it
R
Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2021
Noted
Fake news

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by paulolee(m): 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2021
k
Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by amazingspiderma: 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2021
You wanted to do business with Fulani. Guess what. You got it.

4 Likes

Re: Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle by EJanni(f): 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2021
Yorubas should do something before this goes out of hand. Action is what you guys need now and not talk - talk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wife Of The New Igp Has Passed Away / Boko Haram Field Commanders Killed, 6 Arrested / FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.