Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (24912 Views)

Fayose Better Than Other Nigerian Politician - Photos Speak / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Igbo Women Visit Iara Oshiomole In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 2:59am On Apr 10, 2011
Aigbofa:

If you are measuring yourself and your intellect against his, he may start to see himself as someone special. For me he is just another daft ibo.

You are probably the wittiest person on NL, bar none.

I salute oooooooo
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 2:59am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Iwo na ti n se ijogbon ju. O ye kinu wa dun pe awon obirin Naijiriya n k'awe. Ko ye ki a je nitori iyen.
Otito!

Ileke-Idi, I am genuinely proud of them, I just don't like these boastful people. I particularly liked Ngozi Iweala. If she was several decades younger, I would be all over her like ants on a cube of sugar.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:01am On Apr 10, 2011
Aigbofa:

Ileke-Idi, I am genuinely proud of them, I just don't like these boastful people. I particularly liked Ngozi Iweala. If she was several decades younger, I would be all over her like ants on a cube of sugar.    

For a woman, she did well for herself. But, she is being put on a pedestal she doesnt belong.

Anyway, congrats to them.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:02am On Apr 10, 2011
Aigbofa:

Alright then.
Ora. smiley
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:02am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

I salute oooooooo

Thanks bro.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:03am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

I salute oooooooo

He's Ekiti, duh tongue
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:04am On Apr 10, 2011
Anything congratulating the Ndigbo and some of these Igbo haters start committing seppuku. Even when the author of the article is one of their own.

14 pages and counting and they continue to make a fool of themselves. Foreigners can see the level of "haterism."
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:04am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Alright then.
Ora. smiley

Ora o. So you can speak Ekiti. grin How nice.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Basseti: 3:06am On Apr 10, 2011
See ego massaging  grin grin grin grin

If ego massaging were currency, some dudes will be richer than Carlos Slim Helu
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:07am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

He's Ife, duh tongue

.   .    . Ekiti has her origin from Ile-Ife, duh tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekiti_State
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:08am On Apr 10, 2011
Aigbofa:

Ora o. So you can speak Ekiti. grin How nice.

Learning lol. Getting there.

Basseti:

See ego massaging  grin grin grin grin

If ego massaging were currency, some dudes will be richer than Carlos Slim Helu
Abi o, wish I could massage your own, but you never post "am" yet grin
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:09am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

.   .    . Ekiti has her origin from Ile-Ife, duh tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekiti_State

LOL. True, but we refined ourselves wink
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:10am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

Anything congratulating the Ndigbo and some of these Igbo haters start committing seppuku. Even when the author of the article is one of their own.

14 pages and counting and they continue to make a fool of themselves. Foreigners can see the level of "haterism."

These women are not even making any noise and telling anyone who cares to listen that they are better than everyone. They are competent and humble as well. It is efulefus like you and poorlyblack that are always stirring the hornets nest.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by chic2pimp(m): 3:11am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

How you dey nah my fellow Wharton Business School graduate?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by RevMallam: 3:12am On Apr 10, 2011
I believe most responders to the well articulated question posed by the author seem to have either chosen to interject tribal jingoisms or simply ignored the  question and drifted to expected responses based on tribal sentiments.
I am of the opinion that what the author was trying to say are these:
(1) Igbo women have done well and continue to excel in whatever they do. They should be emulated by others.
(2) Yoruba women, "it's time to catch up. Your primary competitors are leaving you". This is a call to arms for you.
(3) The northern women, though huge in numbers have very little to show. (but same can be said of the men, sadly)
(4) Finally I think, he is saying, Igbo women, don’t get complacent, your competitors are watching.

Love or hate the Igbos, they are an enigma that should be copied and  emulated. The fact that they are where they are today after a devastating war tells a lot about them. In my opinion, what other should be doing is trying to find out what makes the Igbos tick and  attempt to beat them at their own game. The Japanese did same to Americans and the Chinese are now doing same. So don't bash the  Igbos, rather attempt to out do them if you can.

I believe, the Igbos for whatever reason believe they are born with their backs against the wall. This may help explain why they are hell bent on succeeding and excelling. In fact, Ojukwu used this to lead his folks to fight to the last man standing.
There was a guy on Radio Biafra  Okon Okon Ndem, who used to begin his broadcasts by reminding the Igbos that "he who is surrounded by enemies is on perpetual guard , " (Maybe Igbo folks on this trade can speak more on this).
As for those that are defending the subjugation of women and in fact the entire populace by a few elite from the core North, I think we are doing a great dis-service to ourselves.

The fact that Imo State in the East produces more University Graduates than the entire North should be a cause for worry and shame. In fact, left alone, 2 Igbo states, Imo and Abia can fill the the entire University allocations in the country.
Instead of building Universities and colleges, we build Koranic schools and what have you. Even the universities that we have are populated and filled with,  surprise, children of people with Igbo ancestry. While the majority of our kids are out begging, the Igbos are out getting education and what have you.
We should praise our women no matter where they come from in Nigeria if they are doing well, and it just happens that they are Igbo, fine and well. The question we should be asking is, what are the others going to do to dethrone the Igbos if we can, or catch up with them? But it must also be remembered that Igbo women have been at the forefront from the get go. It was Igbo women who started the independence drive in Aba by engaging the mighty British army in what they derisively call, Aba women’s riot. So their  over-achieving is nothing new.
But the Igbos should not be beating their chest, because this is a global phenomenon. Even  in the America, women are out-performing men in many fields. If the playing fields are leveled in America, women will take over. Despite all their chest beating, women in America still remain second class citizens and only gained the rights to vote not too long ago.
So, find a woman who has done well and encourage your daughters to strive to be like them, I think that is the best gift you can give them and if they happen to be igbo, so be it.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:15am On Apr 10, 2011
chic2pimp:

grin  grin grin          grin grin grin grin grin
grin                     grin
grin                    grin
grin grin grin ;        grin grin grin grin grin
grin ;                 grin
grin                   grin
grin grin ;Dpic       ;Dail
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:20am On Apr 10, 2011
chic2pimp:

Smith School of Business to be exact.

UMD I hail thee.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:26am On Apr 10, 2011
RevMallam:

I believe most responders to the well articulated question posed by the author seem to have either chosen to interject tribal jingoisms or simply ignored the  question and drifted to expected responses based on tribal sentiments.
(1) Igbo women have done well and continue to excel in whatever they do. They should be emulated by others.
(2) Yoruba women, "it's time to catch up. Your primary competitors are leaving you". This is a call to arms for you.
(3) The northern women, though huge in numbers have very little to show. (but same can be said of the men, sadly)
(4) Finally I think, he is saying, Igbo women, don’t get complacent, your competitors are watching.

Love or hate the Igbos, they are an enigma that should be copied and  emulated. The fact that they are where they are today after a devastating war tells a lot about them. In my opinion, what other should be doing is trying to find out what makes the Igbos tick and  attempt to beat them at their own game. The Japanese did same to Americans and the Chinese are now doing same. So don't bash the  Igbos, rather attempt to out do them if you can.

I believe, the Igbos for whatever reason believe they are born with their backs against the wall. This may help explain why they are hell bent on succeeding and excelling. In fact, Ojukwu used this to lead his folks to fight to the last man standing.
There was a guy on Radio Biafra  Okon Okon Ndem, who used to begin his broadcasts by reminding the Igbos that "he who is surrounded by enemies is on perpetual guard , " (Maybe Igbo folks on this trade can speak more on this).
As for those that are defending the subjugation of women and in fact the entire populace by a few elite from the core North, I think we are doing a great dis-service to ourselves.

The fact that Imo State in the East produces more University Graduates than the entire North should be a cause for worry and shame. In fact, left alone, 2 Igbo states, Imo and Abia can fill the the entire University allocations in the country.
Instead of building Universities and colleges, we build Koranic schools and what have you. Even the universities that we have are populated and filled with,  surprise, children of people with Igbo ancestry. While the majority of our kids are out begging, the Igbos are out getting education and what have you.
We should praise our women no matter where they come from in Nigeria if they are doing well, and it just happens that they are Igbo, fine and well. The question we should be asking is, what are the others going to do to dethrone the Igbos if we can, or catch up with them? But it must also be remembered that Igbo women have been at the forefront from the get go. It was Igbo women who started the independence drive in Aba by engaging the mighty British army in what they derisively call, Aba women’s riot. So their  over-achieving is nothing new.
But the Igbos should not be beating their chest, because this is a global phenomenon. Even  in the America, women are out-performing men in many fields. If the playing fields are leveled in America, women will take over. Despite all their chest beating, women in America still remain second class citizens and only gained the rights to vote not too long ago.
So, find a woman who has done well and encourage your daughters to strive to be like them, I think that is the best gift you can give them and if they happen to be igbo, so be it.

Great post. Igbo women will continue to succeed. Let us continue to support them.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by chic2pimp(m): 3:32am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

grin  grin grin          grin grin grin grin grin
grin                     grin
grin grin grin ;        grin grin grin grin grin
grin ;                 grin
grin                   grin
grin grin ;Dpic       ;Dail          

You dey laugh? grin. . . .Don't hate on us jare cool .

EzeUche:

Smith School of Business to be exact.

UMD I hail thee.
Make up your mind nah. UPENN OR UMD? Which one is it?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:35am On Apr 10, 2011
chic2pimp:

Make up your mind nah. UPENN OR UMD? Which one is it?

Never said I went to UPENN. Always stated that I go to the University of Maryland.

I do not know where you heard that from. Most people on the politics section know that I REP College Park.

So try again. I have never changed my school and shall remain a Terp. And I guess the burden of proof is on you to show where I said that I went to UPENN.

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:41am On Apr 10, 2011
UMD's logo is so lame. To be honest. Great school, lame logo.

Terp or twerp?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:42am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

Never said I went to UPENN. Always stated that I go to the University of Maryland.

I do not know where you heard that from. Most people on the politics section know that I REP College Park.

So try again. I have never changed my school and shall remain a Terp. And I guess the burden of proof is on you to show where I said that I went to UPENN.

Ezeuche, my ACN brother. We all know you go to UMD.

When next I am in DC, I will get you an ACN broom. grin
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:44am On Apr 10, 2011
RevMallam:

Very good!

The difference between those who acknowledge Fani-Kayode's candid assessment and those who must rely on tribal gibberish to massage their bruised tribal ego, is that while the former embellish their comments with facts, the latter just rely on baseless assertions designed to ridicule the achievements of Igbo women.

We must celebrate the achievements of all Nigerian women, regardless of ethnic identity. However, the fact that f00ls like Aigbofa and fstranger3 want to turn this thread to another ethnic bashing thread reveals the underlying prejudices, born of hate, that have consumed their psyche. These f00ls see nothing good outside their parochial outlook, one based on strict tribal loyalty, and always try, though pitiably woefully, to bring down those they consider "outsiders", e.g., Igbo women. I'm glad that ignorant buffoons like the f00ls mentioned above are gradually being sidelined at the national political space of Nigeria.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:48am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

UMD's logo is so lame. To be honest. Great school, lame logo.

Terp or twerp?

Whoa! Calm down Ekiti babe.

You think this is better?

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:54am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

Whoa! Calm down Ekiti babe.

You think this is better?

Yes.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 4:13am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yes.

Enough of this blasphemous talk. We all know the truth. cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 4:17am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

Enough of this blasphemous talk. We all know the truth.  cool

c'mon! A mighty turtle? Weird! The turtle that goes 1mile/hr. An alligator will eat it up by the time it even moves one terpy leg.

@Post

Kewl!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 4:25am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

c'mon! A mighty turtle? Weird! The turtle that goes 1mile/hr.  An alligator will eat it up by the time it even moves one terpy leg.

"Try to be like the turtle - at ease in your own shell." -Bill Copeland cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 4:26am On Apr 10, 2011
Break out of your shell and explore the world.

-Gators.
cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 4:33am On Apr 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Break out of your shell and explore the world.

-Gators.
cool

Touche! smiley
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nchara: 4:35am On Apr 10, 2011
Ekt Bear

From you link, it has finally been confirmed by outsiders (UNICEF) that both Igbo men and women are more literate than their Yoruba counterparts. We have been harping on this since Adam but they would not listen. Plus the fact that when you remove the 45% cheesy cheesy cheesy Igbos in Lagos, then the SW number goes down even more. The number removed from Lagos will buoy Ebonyi up. Where Yoruba dey beat Igbo sef? Sports, Nollywood, low poverty, hip hop, science? Where? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 4:42am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

Touche! smiley
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Saraki And Dogara At Gov. Tambuwal’s Daughter Dinner Party / Senator Peter Nwaoboshi Arrested, Detained By EFCC / Austin Tam-George Resigns As Wike’s Information Commissioner (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.