Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,390 members, 7,812,150 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? (14825 Views)

Poll: Which Do U Prefer?

Modern Day Marriages: 43% (56 votes)
Olden Day Marriages: 56% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 1:32am On Apr 08, 2011
State your  reasons & why?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Blazay(m): 10:25am On Apr 08, 2011
Modern marriage of course.
Reason?

Women have rights! It is no longer a man's world inside or outside the bedroom. cool

What a man can do. . .a woman can dooooo gooooooder! kiss

If you dun like it. . . .move out of the house. kiss

1 Like

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ifyalways(f): 10:52am On Apr 08, 2011
A mixture and a balanced dose of both.

Reason;The values and sense of our grandmothers is an effective tool in handling the challenges of the modern family unit.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by seedord247(m): 1:00pm On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

A mixture and a balanced dose of both.

Reasons;The values and sense of our grandmothers is an effective tool in handling the challenges of the modern family unit.

I know no say if you finish school oooooo
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Odunnu: 1:04pm On Apr 08, 2011
Modern marriage jor,when it becomes boring and intolerant,either/both couple may agree to disagree and hump unto the next ride.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ifyalways(f): 1:09pm On Apr 08, 2011
seedord247:

I know no say if you finish school oooooo
YOU did not.

Deal or die with it.  kiss
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by 190: 1:10pm On Apr 08, 2011
I prefer olden marriages

why dad asked my mother out with greeting cards and gave her Hisbiscus flower and queen of the night

These days women want blackberries and brazillian hair from me even before they ask me my name

Give me olden days marriage anyday anytime
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ajalaolanr(m): 1:17pm On Apr 08, 2011
I think The Values of been a wife is fast dissappering with the wind, the woman has lost her role and wants to live a life like a man, we forget the core essence of a woman is to be a mans Helper, however this has changed due to the ever increasing socio economic problems that smacks us in the face worldwide>, these days values are lost, the woman jumps on the next ride and changes husband like shes changing her tampon, all due respect to the ladies in the houose but i think we have more sluts than wifes these days. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue tongue tongue
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Ayoobscom(m): 1:35pm On Apr 08, 2011
If not modern marriage what else?

Where you are bankrupted

where the husband making ewedu

and the wife busy doing make-up(can't afford to miss the party)

why not modern marriage

where all the children were born before marriage comes

why not modern marriage

where your wife was one a girfriend to all your neigbors

why not modern marriage where the wife does not want to see any husb's relative

why not modern marriage where the husband sees the househelp more often than the wife in dinning and even in bed

why not it?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by manmustwac(m): 1:46pm On Apr 08, 2011
my mother was delivered to her husband (who was based in london at the time) back in 1964 like DHL they knew they were both from the same village but didn't know each other and after 6 children and 45 years later they are still together. So to me olden day marriages were the best wink
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
Ayoobscom:

If not modern marriage what else?

Where you are bankrupted

where the husband making ewedu

and the wife busy doing make-up(can't afford to miss the party)

why not modern marriage

where all the children were born before marriage comes

why not modern marriage

where your wife was one a girfriend to all your neigbors

why not modern marriage where the wife does not want to see any husb's relative

why not modern marriage where the husband sees the househelp more often than the wife in dinning and even in bed

why not it?

funny.

i stick with oldern days over anything else. the rate at which people are divorcing and marrying for the wrong reasons is sickening. instead of some couples to work it out they just scream DIVORCE! and not even thinking about the children.
it saddens me really. there are so many older couples that have been married 25+ years. but 30 years from now, how many can even boast of having a 10 year marriage?   undecided embarassed
MY PEOPLE!

ajalaolanr:

I think The Values of been a wife is fast dissappering with the wind, the woman has lost her role and wants to live a life like a man, we forget the core essence of a woman is to be a mans Helper, however this has changed due to the ever increasing socio economic problems that smacks us in the face worldwide>, these days values are lost, the woman jumps on the next ride and changes husband like shes changing her tampon, all due respect to the ladies in the houose but i think we have more sluts than wifes these days. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue tongue tongue
you have a point there. but i think if thats the case, then those type of men should only marry women that are willing to be housewives or that are uneducated which gives them no choice but to be one.
sorry that the MODERN WOMAN is here, and these men are gonna have to take a backseat and realize they cant walk all over most women as they probably could have in the 80s and before.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by snthesis(m): 1:54pm On Apr 08, 2011
manmustwac:

my mother was delivered to her husband (who was based in london at the time) back in 1964 like DHL they knew they were both from the same village but didn't know each other and after 6 children and 45 years later they are still together. So to me olden day marriages were the best wink
lol
guy, ur package is on the way grin grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2011
my grandma was also DHLed to her husband, i think.

it was so long ago.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ajalaolanr and manmustwac you guys have said it all.to me oldern days is the best
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by snthesis(m): 2:03pm On Apr 08, 2011
@Popsy and Momsy
abeg Send me a DD sexy cutie- cooks and clean, sharp sharp- i'll pay for the stamps grin grin grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 08, 2011
Olden marriage, roles clearly defined and less selfishness IMO

Modern marriages - too many blurred lines, me i'm still confused sef
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by nwaghana: 2:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

Reason;The values and sense of our grandmothers is an effective tool in handling the challenges of the modern family unit.

Does it mean modern ladies do not have values? Just asking 

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ojesymsym: 2:36pm On Apr 08, 2011
In the old days, girls were brought up to become wives in future. dat way u cud just pick any girl and u were at least 70% sure she was a wife material. People used to leave in compound where they were relations around, so a girl of about 12 was already helping her neighbor to carry her baby, that way she gets to learn very early how to cater for younger ones dependent on them. Nowaday, the total hours couples see themselves in a week (especially in Citiies) may not be more than 72hrs out of a possible 168hrs. But we get choice?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2011
nwa-ghana:

Does it mean modern ladies do not have values? Just asking 

Those are the days when the term ''for better for worse '' really existed unlike what we have now.the modern marriage is just a contract of two bedmates mainly for producing babies.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by angelz(f): 2:53pm On Apr 08, 2011
supporters of olden day marriage seem to think women are d problem in modern day marriage.
I think its both ways. Why i aprecia8 olden day marriage 4 it values, l prefer modern day marriage 4 its balance.
Those wu hav d fear of God and really wants to be a role model to their children, imbibe the values in olden day marriage into their modern day marriage.
In those days men seem to marry out of necessity (children),not love and treats their wives as slave or second class citizen, but now, its suppose to be love and care on the part of the man while the woman reciprocate the love and care together with respect. that doesnt mean the man should not respect his wife as well.

1 Like

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2011
Even me i had to support Oldern days were respect & loyality were the order of the day, whether there was money or not husband & wife live happily ever after. Even @ some point if as a gal you were not a V,lol when you were married in then, i suppose there will be shame on your family for poor upbring up!

Come to modernize pattern, mehnnn so many 'I DO' yet peeps in marriage are still struggling to love each other, to know each other wella. Infact this where the real U in marriage is seen, where as in dating every one is/was pretending. In summary, you can for in love during dating & bla bla bla leads to marriage, but the imp'rtnt thing is, marriage in modern things is really not a bed of roses.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by spikedcylinder: 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
naijababe:

Olden marriage, roles clearly defined and less selfishness IMO

Modern marriages - too many blurred lines, me i'm still confused sef

I disagree with the highlighted.
There was a lot of selfishness, only that it came from the men. These days, both parties choose to be selfish.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ifyalways(f): 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
nwa-ghana:
Does it mean modern ladies do not have values? Just asking  .
Did my reply suggest otherwise?
Of course,today's ladies and gents do have and uphold certain values and virtues though most or some of such values might have been modernized to come out with something better or worse than what our parents had.

Someone talked abt his mother packaged and delivered to the dad,do u think that wud work today?with all the stories of Irreconcilable differences and all what not we hear daily at most divorce courts?

Then we had and enjoyed stuffs like communal parenting which worked excellently,can same be said of today?Our mothers were regardless of been pushed to the background were able to manipulate and keep(i dislike this word)their husbands.what could be the secret?stooping to conquer?

That is not to say things were all good and dandy then,there are still many aspects of the olden days family structure that were favorable only to 1 party.It includes but not limited to polygamy,men enjoying the best part of the game,women relegated to the bedroom and kitchen.etc.

A well balanced mixture of both ideas and structure works for me.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by sophy09: 3:40pm On Apr 08, 2011
I support modern marriage because I live in a modern society. I live in society whereby I have to work 24/7 to be support my family. I appreciate the olden marriage and I incorporated it in my modern marriage. In those days, women were appreciated.  A man can afford his wife to be a stay home mum but now where is the money. The economy is going down. What we see on TV is part of the problem. Ladies like beyonce are crying out  independent ladies. Guys like 50 cents are crying out have a baby by me and be a millionaire or some rap artist see ladies as "bitches". I mean I listen to my dad music collections and I see the beautiful of love and marriage.
Every aspect of this modern life has changed people one way or another. The only way is to be modern but keep the olden marriage values.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by sammhi(m): 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2011
olden marriage was better. the modern marriage is a copied one from the western world and so it comes with its loss of the values we cherish as a black man. that is reason for its failure too.
these vaues of chastity, respect, love, tolerance  and pateince are the main ingredient that makes life really worth living. the west have long ago forget God and  the black man has followed too with its attendant bad and disastrous consequences.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 08, 2011
spikedcylinder:

I disagree with the highlighted.
There was a lot of selfishness, only that it came from the men. These days, both parties choose to be selfish.

Men being very selfish then and both parties now being selfish still means less selfishness now
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2011
sophy09:

I support modern marriage because I live in a modern society. I live in society whereby I have to work 24/7 to be support my family. I appreciate the olden marriage and I incorporated it in my modern marriage. In those days, women were appreciated.  A man can afford his wife to be a stay home mum but now where is the money. The economy is going down. What we see on TV is part of the problem. Ladies like beyonce are crying out  independent ladies. Guys like 50 cents are crying out have a baby by me and be a millionaire or some rap artist see ladies as "bitches". I mean I listen to my dad music collections and I see the beautiful of love and marriage.
Every aspect of this modern life has changed people one way or another. The only way is to be modern but keep the olden marriage values.

Kooooooooool cool
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by gentlem80(m): 4:32pm On Apr 08, 2011
@OP

Hmm, this is a good question and will try as much as possible to answer it to my best of knowledge. I've always compared these two(old and 21st century) marriages and have come to the conclusion that olden day marriages are the best hands down!!! There are a lot of  reasons why this is so.

(1) People nowadays dont marry for the right reasons. I will lay most of the blames on the ladies. In todays world, a woman will take the so-called "made" guy over a person she has been  dating for quite a while. They now prefer "Olorunsogo" to  "Surulere". This is a very big issue has I have couples that are separating simply because  the "made" guy at the outset of the relationship, either loses his job or could not afford the expensive holidays, they used to have, due to cut backs in salaries etc.  This's where the ladies miss the road completely undecided I remeber my grandma (of blessed memory), the woman was so sweet and loyal to her husband till the day she died. She said when she married my granpa(butcher), they were living in a room ("dojukoju"wink in Ibadan and stood by the guy until he made it and built his first house( an eight bedroom dojukoju). They guy even attest to this and make use of this when advising us on perseverance. They were together for over 50 yrs!!!. Please tell any marriage today, that lasts 2 yrs without the couple getting help from marriage counsellor? No not one and I'm talking from experience.

(2) Sex, Two conflicting terms for a typical religiocentric nigerian. In the olden days, a woman that was a virgin on the point of getting itched is usually valued by the husband and is well respected as well by her nuclear and extended families. Nowadays, I will be so surprised if an head count of the ladies marrying, has 0.2% that are virgins lipsrsealed .

Enough said for now  grin grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by pm05337(m): 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2011
A balance of both incorporating the old days marriage values into the the modern day marriage is very key going forward for our generation,
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by code9(m): 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2011
Older marriages have a stronger foundation on morals and discipline in terms of humilty and cohensiveness. In spite of this modern marriages have brought with it better ways of interaction btw husband and wife. resposibility is no longer a one-way traffic and wives have a say in family affairs, which go a long way to help navigate the man and family (Men are usuall like Brave goats. they need to herded  grin). Lastly the sexual relationship (in Marriages) has gone all SCI-FI too with lots of toys and sex educations to strengthen what was once considered serious issues in marriages, cool grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Mynd44: 4:42pm On Apr 08, 2011
The old ones cannot bring solutions to new problems as they just tend to make the wife a baby machine without a brain and so does not need respect me i would love a woman who i will talk to and can talk back who is not afraid of me but loves me not somebody who i will have so  little respect for that i will bring another woman home and she will say "ekabo"
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^ yes change is good, still oldern days got the upper hand cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Newspaper Change Of Name Publication / IBADAN; Power Up Your Home with Quality Electricals / What Were Those Superstitious Things Your Parents Or Elder Made You Believe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.