Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? (14846 Views)

Poll: Which Do U Prefer?

Modern Day Marriages: 43% (56 votes)
Olden Day Marriages: 56% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by nwaghana: 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

Did my reply suggest otherwise?

Just very few ladies would admit the loss of this very importance aspect of womanhood; just wanted to confirm
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by soreola(f): 5:09pm On Apr 08, 2011
i completely agree with the common thought that a number of peeps have expressed i.e. modern marriage with the values of olden day marriage. . .

but wouldn't it be a lil difficult considering the fact that the situation is quite different from what it used to be

I think it would be very easy to forget those values at times. . . but i guess it depends on both party's willingness to incorporate those values
i.e. if ur hubby is sleeping outside n u r aware of this, it'll be hard to respect such a man etc, (not to say that men didnt cheat back then. . . but im sure they werent likely to have numerous mistresses)

For sure it would be nice to have a say in ur home, for both the hubby and the wife to take care of their children together, share thoughts, ideas n issues w each other but also respect ur man, take care of him etc

I also think collaboration btw both partners will lead to a happier home. . .

Can we just list some of these values of the olden days and some of the ones from nowadays. . . smiley
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by CrudeOil2(m): 5:44pm On Apr 08, 2011
None. Marriage is trash.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by armyofone(m): 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2011
sufferhead!!

imagine pound corn, grind pepper, blow fire, wash clothes with hands, and then give your hubby his needed s.ex

today, i can just hold my wine and soak while blender grinds my pepper, washing machine do my laundry and can say hey man, i don't wanna sleep with with freedom and no fear, abeg na today marriage me likey  cheesy

him fit drive me commot for the house with just my wrapper for waist. but today, i go chop ya dollars if you mess and it smells
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by SSaemoenl(m): 7:24pm On Apr 08, 2011
Modern, Cos I follow current happenings. Old is meant for old ideas. See u in the next chapter. *wink*

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by vislabraye(m): 7:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
It depends. A good marriage with a submissive wife could be termed as archaic, but that's the ideal.

Or may be you should ask Oprah, grin grin grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by software(m): 8:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
oldern days, women have more respect for their husband,
Modern Days, NO respect, not even on single one, grin grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 9:11pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^ That's true, this days no respect @all not even for the wifey
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Angelaoke: 9:32pm On Apr 08, 2011
i wil say oldern days marriage is wht i wil say is better and best 4rm my own point of view,cos we women of dis days some of us dnt wnt 2 see hubby's mother or other members of his families and they need all there families around them,listing 2 u hubby and do ur very best 2 pls him in way u can,that is wht gud mothers will tell there female children am a woman and prefer oldern days marriages then those days or modern marriages
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by cutesnub: 10:15pm On Apr 08, 2011
Olden Days please.

I admire my parents, both dad and mum.

I don'tsee my mum not having any rights in her marriage, no!  cheesy And I don't see my dad kicking and ordering her around No!   cheesy

All I see is two people who truly love and care for each other, just peace of mind and happiness with lots of love.

If this is the gift of olden marriage, I am soooooo signing up for it!!!!!  Word grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by beknown(m): 12:02am On Apr 09, 2011
True marriage is not for children.

Most modern marriage today is formed like children playing. When the reality comes, the modern couple drive themselves apart. Besides, most modern women have lost their identity and now crave the identity of a man only when it suits her.

God made them man and woman for a purpose. They are not the same in physical structure, God knows why and let women not kid themselves.

Olden days marriages are far better. I wish I had the opportunity of those days.

The example of my Mum and Dad is exemplary.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by N101: 1:33am On Apr 09, 2011
I really wonder where some people get their ideas from.

Newsflash

[list]
[li]Women in the good old days are not significantly different to women in this modern era.  Women then could be just as materialistic - unless they were brought up in the village.  Ask the older ones and they could probably tell you some stories.[/li]
[li]Modern marriage does not spring from Westernisation.  It primarily comes from things that were wrong in "olden" marriages - think of it as new-improved.  Modern marriages are not devoid of the same values that sustained our parents.  How many of us have the identical values of our parents? [/li]
[li]Anyone who thinks a couple won't last more than 2 years without counselling knows the wrong kind of people.  I know plenty of people married over 5 years and worked things out between them without the aid of counselling.[/li]
[li]Don't presume no one gets spouses DHLed - Someone I know married a lady who was DHLed to a friend who rejected her.  Last time I saw him they were happily married with children.  So while you can lead a horse to water and it may not drink - someone else may drink instead  grin[/li]
[li]I keep hearing repeated "women want to be like men" but no one has explained how.  Women on the whole do not want to be "like men" (whatever that's supposed to mean).  If we're talking sexually, then a certain type of woman may share the (low) values of her male counterparts.[/li]
[/list]

It is obviously easy to blame women, but as the saying goes, "women would be women if men were men".  Many men and women know nothing of commitment, and are committed to nothing. Yet these same people want to play at marriage.  Should we be surprised at the result?

1 Like

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by dayokanu(m): 4:02am On Apr 09, 2011
armyofone:

sufferhead!!

imagine pound corn, grind pepper, blow fire, wash clothes with hands, and then give your hubby his needed s.ex

today, i can just hold my wine and soak while blender grinds my pepper, washing machine do my laundry and can say hey man, i don't wanna sleep with with freedom and no fear, abeg na today marriage me likey  cheesy

him fit drive me commot for the house [size=18pt]with just my wrapper for waist.[/size] but today, i go chop ya dollars if you mess and it smells

Wont it be easier to remove wrapper when its time for action instead of the rope (Gstring) and jeans you wear all the time.

I prefer olden days jare.

Just comot wrapper anywhere and action starts even on top ridge for farm or for stream all join.

When women are going to fetch water at the stream and the water splashes on their wrapper and soaks the n1ppl3s would be pointing and the next dark corner you just comot wrapper and do 1 sharp round.'

No wahala for olden days jare
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 5:40am On Apr 09, 2011
modern marriage abegiiii,it gives me so much joy to know that I can ask for ''2010/11'' landrover discovery/freelander and a range rover sports. Yes and of what use is a man if he cannot afford to provide his wife with the good things of this world?Good things does not end with diiiccckkkkkssss alone we(oh well I)need money.

And hey you don't have to agree with me,no be ya papa money i dey chop
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by almoner(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2011
Haba! There is never a comparison between modern and olden marriages, obviously things have gone wrong in every aspect of this present day and its marriages.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by kabukabu50(m): 6:59am On Apr 09, 2011
Who even came up with this dumb thread grin

Its 2011,nobody expects to have a stone age marriage where you beat a woman over the head with a stick,she cooks,cleans and makes babies barefoot and in the kitchen, those days are gone forever.

Women are NOT born to be a man's servants, they are companions,I'm pretty sure that there is a clear difference.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Emmy3(m): 7:24am On Apr 09, 2011
THIS IS WHAT I THINK. . .
<HINT>
* The respect woman have for their husband in the Olden day marriage has reduced in the Modern Marrige.
<HINT>
* The cost of conducting and maintaining Nowaday marriage is more.
<HINT>
* The Modern day union of man and woman gave the feminine a sence of belonging.
<HINT>
* The stress  to begin marriage in the Accient days is much.
{Olden days; you need to see: Uncle, brother, father, mother, friends AND they observe all customs}

{The presence of
* Marriage Broker,
* Marriage Bureau
make you even get married when sleeping} . . .
Nevertheless,
I prefer moderm marriage where the domestic work is not done only by the women. . .
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by dayokanu(m): 8:16am On Apr 09, 2011
I think modern marriages where the financial burden is shared 50-50 is the best
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 09, 2011
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by OAM4J: 12:06pm On Apr 09, 2011
jennykadry:

modern marriage abegiiii,it gives me so much joy to know that I can ask for ''2010/11'' landrover discovery/freelander and a range rover sports. Yes and of what use is a man if he cannot afford to provide his wife with the good things of this world?Good things does not end with diiiccckkkkkssss alone we(oh well I)need money.

And hey you don't have to agree with me,no be ya papa money i dey chop

Reserve my comment!

chaircover:

The fundamentals of marriage should be respect and commitment and once these are in place it doesn't matter if the marriage was conducted in 1903 or 2013

For those asking for olden days marriage, you cannot live in a modern age, watch modern TV and go to Modern School, work with modern people, live in a modern financial world and expect to easily run olden day marriages & bring up Olden day kids.

hmnnnn! No comment.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Feraz(m): 12:23pm On Apr 09, 2011
dayokanu:

Wont it be easier to remove wrapper when its time for action instead of the rope (Gstring) and jeans you wear all the time.

I prefer olden days jare.

Just comot wrapper anywhere and action starts even on top ridge for farm or for stream all join.

When women are going to fetch water at the stream and the water splashes on their wrapper and soaks the n1ppl3s would be pointing and the next dark corner you just comot wrapper and do 1 sharp round.'

No wahala for olden days jare
LWKMD!!!
I think i prefer olden days marriages though some of its characteristics were not that good
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by marcus1234: 12:42pm On Apr 09, 2011
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ifyalways(f): 2:31pm On Apr 09, 2011
dayokanu:

I think modern  marriages where the financial burden is shared 50-50 is the best
Is it just all abt sEx and money for u?

My sister is not safe with u,at the rate u are going.  angry
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 09, 2011
i think life in general has gotten more boring for the computer generation.

everything is just tied to quick lays and cash flow.

quality of life vs quantity of life.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by dayokanu(m): 4:26pm On Apr 09, 2011
ifyalways:

Is it just all abt sEx and money for u?

My sister is not safe with u,at the rate u are going.  angry

What more if not sex and money?

If you look at it critically thats the essence of all our hustle as human in the world.

Any hustle, the end result is usually sex, food or money
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by N101: 10:06pm On Apr 09, 2011
tpiah!:

i think life in general has gotten more boring for the computer generation.

everything is just tied to quick lays and cash flow.

quality of life vs quantity of life.

So true. Short attention span you think or no understanding of longevity?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by ssemire(f): 10:26pm On Apr 09, 2011
dayokanu:

I think modern marriages where the financial burden is shared 50-50 is the best

my guy, if the financial burden should be shared 50-50, then you should also be ready to share the woman's "responsibilities" 50-50. you can't eat your cake and have it. men look for ways to make their lives easier but hardly ever think of how to make the woman's burden lighter.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 09, 2011
@mynx u r totaly n 1oo percent right.u tuk d words out of my mouth! Can i even know u beta? Lyk outside nairaland.dats my idea of a husband n nt sum chauvenist milionaire men or struglin arogant men.4getin d fact dat many men bring out d best or worst out of a woman n yeah educatn n western ideas,media,internet nt 2 4get paranoid mens demon feminism.al dis goes a long way in influencin modern day mariages
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by jossy1luv(f): 1:33am On Apr 10, 2011
I prefer modern day marriage cos i have a rite to choose my partner and i will have a say in my marriage
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by jossy1luv(f): 1:34am On Apr 10, 2011
I prefer modern day marriage cos i have a rite to choose my partner and i will have a say in my marriage
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 1:37am On Apr 10, 2011
Its the culture these days but chosing partners isnt always what it's cut out to be.

Mind you im not saying arranged marriages are the utopia many seek.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by chic2pimp(m): 2:26am On Apr 10, 2011
Abeg shey nah husband alone dey enjoy s, e.x?. . . . Cuz for every thread I dey hear 'GIVE MY HUSBAND SE, X" like only the man dey enjoy am.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omg / ###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Home Appliances/Kitchen Utensils @ Wholesale Prices / The Word “Marriage Is Just For Once” Is A Scam Don't Fall For It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.