Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,255 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? - Events (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? (37361 Views)

UNN Lecturer Constructed Wedding Invitation Card Using B.sc Project Format / Wedding Invitation Like Movie Poster - Jehova Witness Couple / Akwa Ibom Man Drops His Wedding Invitation Card In Pidgin English. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2021
It's because she is the host. Even in football match host name comes first before the visitor's name.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by careytommy37(m): 3:02pm On Feb 17, 2021
stayclearofme:

Is the groom not getting wedded to the bride?

The key word is 'to'
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Polynek(m): 3:03pm On Feb 17, 2021
Like I always say, Opinion is like a nose everybody get His/Her own. I don't think there's any law dat attached to dat stuff. OP If u want to change your own no p.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by savageyoungboy(m): 3:04pm On Feb 17, 2021
I guess it's because of the popular quote ladies first angry
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by WoundedLamb: 3:05pm On Feb 17, 2021
psalmson001:
During proposal, the man asks the lady "will you marry me?" which she replies "yes I will marry you" .....many believes its the lady that's agreed to marry the man.

So that's why on many wedding IV you will see "sisi comfort weds broda sodiq"

My opinion tho.

Thanks. This is pretty much obvious.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by mytty: 3:10pm On Feb 17, 2021
IamGreen1:
Because it is female that granted male request of wanting to marry them. A man can only propose to marry a lady so the lady is the solely determinant of whether the marriage should occur or not that's the reason why females weds the males because she agreed to his 'just' proposal.
I AS AN EMPLOYER OF LABOR SEARCHED FOR WORKERS TO HELP ME, AND SOME AGREED, THEN GOING BY YOUR STANCE, YOU WILL SAY THOSE LABOURERS EMPLOYED THE DIRECTOR, JUST BECAUSE THE LABORER AGREED TO WORK,
OUR PROBLEM IS THAT WE DON'T ASK Questions AT ALL, AS FAR AS IT IS THE WHITEMAN THAT INTRODUCES IT,
JUST LIKE THIS ILLEGAL COVID SCAM, OUR GOVERNMENT NEVER ASKED OR EVEN RESEARCHED, BUT THEY USE EXECUTIVE POWERS TO SUPRESS AND DESTROY THEIR OWN ECONOMY, IT'S A SHAME, Selah!
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by wisz1(m): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
Op,hope u they watch watch.
The host name always comes first.
Na the ideal b that.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by mytty: 3:17pm On Feb 17, 2021
Simply Put) Man,) I WANT TO MARRY YOU

Woman) OK MARRY ME

THEN ON THE WEDDING CARD YOU SAY THAT THE ONE WHO AGREES IS THE ONE THAT IS ACTUALLY WEDDING THE REAL PERSON WITH THE VISION, THE SPONSORER,
I think it's an error, we don't ask questions b4 doing things, DON'T YOU THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY MANY WOMEN MISBEHAVE IN THEIR MARRIAGES, WANTING TO BE THE HEAD?
With urgent attention THIS HAS TO STOP,
STOP THIS ERROR NOW
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by coputa(m): 3:22pm On Feb 17, 2021
Because the bride's parents are usually the host. In any invitation the host name comes first.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by IgboWarlord(m): 3:37pm On Feb 17, 2021
junketer:
Because she's the one being married.
Mod:
I no know abeg

grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by aeronot(m): 3:46pm On Feb 17, 2021
afonjabreed:
Out of curiosity ,I just want to know why the names on wedding invitations are arranged in such order.

Can anyone please explain

because traditional in Europe and other western civilisations the brides family is the host i.e. even in Nigerian cultures the man comes to the bride's home, he is wedding her in her church etc. The brides family hosts the groom's family.

My ONLY QUARREL is y we apply d same thing in Nigeria, when the brides family is only interested in picking up d bills for your traditional, church and reception...
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Cjayboy: 3:47pm On Feb 17, 2021
Kindly, find below the reason of your inquiry:

Genesis 2:24, ESV: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." ... Genesis 2:24, NASB: "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:01pm On Feb 17, 2021
because dats how white people do it
We copy everything
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by nedekid: 4:10pm On Feb 17, 2021
People really get time. shocked
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by IamGreen1(f): 4:38pm On Feb 17, 2021
mytty:

I AS AN EMPLOYER OF LABOR SEARCHED FOR WORKERS TO HELP ME, AND SOME AGREED, THEN GOING BY YOUR STANCE, YOU WILL SAY THOSE LABOURERS EMPLOYED THE DIRECTOR, JUST BECAUSE THE LABORER AGREED TO WORK,
OUR PROBLEM IS THAT WE DON'T ASK Questions AT ALL, AS FAR AS IT IS THE WHITEMAN THAT INTRODUCES IT,
JUST LIKE THIS ILLEGAL COVID SCAM, OUR GOVERNMENT NEVER ASKED OR EVEN RESEARCHED, BUT THEY USE EXECUTIVE POWERS TO SUPRESS AND DESTROY THEIR OWN ECONOMY, IT'S A SHAME, Selah!

Did you asked them if they would be willing or agreed to work for you? If their answer is yes them you're to pay them for their services so in this case (married) it is simply The female agrees to marry the male don't complicate things for yourself.

I know how you lots like seeing thing from just masculine angles while I'm just here airing my opinions about the question op asked

Gracia!
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by AfroKnight: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2021
membranus:

What's wrong with him?

Nobody is perfect
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by AfroKnight: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2021
hopexter:

No you're not clear sad sad

grin
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by IamGreen1(f): 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2021
pocohantas:

Alfa males won’t agree. grin

They are already dragging me because of my innocent comment like you said. Anyway it feels good to be quoted my you wink.

An admirer of your reasonings from afar.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by pocohantas(f): 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2021
IamGreen1:

They are already dragging me because of my innocent comment like you said. Anyway it feels to be quoted my you wink.

An admirer of your reasonings from afar.

Aww. I am blushing. Don’t mind them jare, truth is bitter. tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 5:10pm On Feb 17, 2021
Cus na she marry u no be u marry her..
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Tundex911: 6:15pm On Feb 17, 2021
It's called IGBEYAWO

FELA: GBE IYA KO WO

CARRY WAHALA NURSE AM
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Olayiwolaomo(m): 6:34pm On Feb 17, 2021
It's simply because the so-called wedding can't take place without her consent, she's the one being begged to replace her father's name with her husband's
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Vizconson(m): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2021
edoairways:

So why are Africans not copying this?
In Nigeria precisely, what it means to be a man is to be able to spend money for most things. The Nigerian man intentionally choose to omit that one since it doesn't appeal to his mentality. Also when a Nigerian family gives you their daughter, they think they are doing you a favor, so why the hell should they sponsor the wedding too?
However, I can't say for other African countries neither do I know if this tradition still applies today in the Western world.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by edoairways: 7:31pm On Feb 17, 2021
Vizconson:

In Nigeria precisely, what it means to be a man is to be able to spend money for most things. The Nigerian man intentionally choose to omit that one since it doesn't appeal to his mentality. Also when a Nigerian family gives you their daughter, they think they are doing you a favor, so why the hell should they sponsor the wedding too?
However, I can't say for other African countries neither do I know if this tradition still applies today in the Western world.
Then why select one aspect and negate the other. You copy white wedding yet you omit conditions attached to it.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Kesiena500: 7:32pm On Feb 17, 2021
you can decide to put your own name first which is the proper thing to do.like my church,we put the men name first.
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Vizconson(m): 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2021
edoairways:

Then why select one aspect and negate the other. You copy white wedding yet you omit conditions attached to it.
I'm American grin

On a serious note, I wasn't the one that copied it, na dem forefathers
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by edoairways: 9:33pm On Feb 17, 2021
Vizconson:

I'm American grin

On a serious note, I wasn't the one that copied it, na dem forefathers
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by Coolgent(m): 1:33am On Feb 18, 2021
Because u copied it from the west
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by CheGuevara101(m): 9:31am On Mar 07, 2021
stayclearofme:

Is the groom not getting wedded to the bride?
LWKMD

Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by duality(m): 8:35am On Sep 21, 2021
justt:
It's also an honor since that is the last time she's going to known and called by her family name (under ideal situation).

This is not too much considering that a woman is practically giving up herself to be under a man. She's giving up her name to take yours. Give her the honor of bearing that name for the last time on they great day by coming first!

Is it not what she fasted and prayed for?
Re: Why Does The Bride's Name Come First On A Wedding Invitation? by bmdmix11: 1:41pm On Sep 23, 2021
psalmson001:
During proposal, the man asks the lady "will you marry me?" which she replies "yes I will marry you" .....many believes its the lady that's agreed to marry the man.

So that's why on many wedding IV you will see "sisi comfort weds broda sodiq"

My opinion tho.
so if woman ask d man to marry her the man will have his name first shey lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nosa Khare: 1-year-old Birthday Party Of An Edo Prince / About To Cancel A Marriage Scheduled To Hold On Sunday. / Children Photography: Adorable & Cute Pre-birthday Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.