Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,640,251 members, 6,179,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 March 2021 at 07:38 AM

Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? (132 Views)

Man Writes Church To Ask For Refund Of Offerings He Gave From 1998 To 2017 (Pix) / Pastor Ask Members To Remove Their Clothes In Church (photos) / Members Of Salvation Ministry Blasted For Buying Their PAPA A Private Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by seyi360(m): 1:09pm On Feb 21
For me I don't think it's necessary, it gives the preacher away as having complex issues needing validation from people. I think he should be able to pick that up from the reactions and responses from the people.
Re: Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by Meto1234(m): 1:19pm On Feb 21
seyi360:
For me I don't think it's necessary, it gives the preacher away as having complex issues needing validation from people. I think he should be able to pick that up from the reactions and responses from the people.
E be like say u dey read my mind .

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by Eviana(f): 9:05pm On Feb 21
Interestingly enough, I encountered a situation (in the past) where this happened.
The pastor wanted encouragement, but didn't realize (I guess) that doing so borders on narcissism....pride.....vanity....worldliness...ego...competition...false sense of security etc.
He wanted to know how he was doing practically each week after his sermons.

He even went so far as to wanting to practice his sermon (via me listening) earlier in the week before actual service later that week.
I think he wanted "feed-back" because I have, in times past, told a few preachers that a particular sermon really spoke to my soul--and that God had used him). I am careful to say "that God used him" even when the message cut me in half.
Cause it is none other than Holy Spirit speaking through willing and "called" vessels....
It's not about a person.....rather God speaking through the person.
However there is a thin line between encouragement, contructive and destructive criticism..which can become a temptation for the preacher.
He could become "man-dependent" instead of "God-dependent".

Anyhow, I respectfully declined the sermon "practice" offer before service that week, and told him that he needed to pray to the Holy Spirit & prayerfully study about what exactly to preach about that week.

What God may tell a prayerful, humble and sincere pastor should not affect "how" the congregation receives or receives "not" the message.
The affirmation, honestly, should come from the spouse...if anyone.
When a pastor repeatedly experience ts that from the congregation, he borders on a "performance" rather than a sacred calling. It no longer is about God, and becomes about him performing.
That's why many pastors should not be in the pulpits.
The pastoral ministry call is for very few men....
Remember how the prophets of old had to give some really tough messages to the people....God ordained messages that spoke to folks' souls....
We, as the congregation, don't help the situation when we idolize and place pastors on pedestals...flatter and pet their ego's. We ALL are human...and have battles against sin in our lives.
I am sure that when a surrendered pastor has spent time in prayer before standing before a congregation to give a divinely inspired message--understanding the sacred role of being a mouthpiece for God regardless of how the message is received--he can rest assured that God is pleased...

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by seyi360(m): 8:12am On Feb 23
Eviana:

Interestingly enough, I encountered a situation (in the past) where this happened.
The pastor wanted encouragement, but didn't realize (I guess) that doing so borders on narcissism....pride.....vanity....worldliness...ego...competition...false sense of security etc.
He wanted to know how he was doing practically each week after his sermons.

He even went so far as to wanting to practice his sermon (via me listening) earlier in the week before actual service later that week.
I think he wanted "feed-back" because I have, in times past, told a few preachers that a particular sermon really spoke to my soul--and that God had used him). I am careful to say "that God used him" even when the message cut me in half.
Cause it is none other than Holy Spirit speaking through willing and "called" vessels....
It's not about a person.....rather God speaking through the person.
However there is a thin line between encouragement, contructive and destructive criticism..which can become a temptation for the preacher.
He could become "man-dependent" instead of "God-dependent".

Anyhow, I respectfully declined the sermon "practice" offer before service that week, and told him that he needed to pray to the Holy Spirit & prayerfully study about what exactly to preach about that week.

What God may tell a prayerful, humble and sincere pastor should not affect "how" the congregation receives or receives "not" the message.
The affirmation, honestly, should come from the spouse...if anyone.
When a pastor repeatedly experience ts that from the congregation, he borders on a "performance" rather than a sacred calling. It no longer is about God, and becomes about him performing.
That's why many pastors should not be in the pulpits.
The pastoral ministry call is for very few men....
Remember how the prophets of old had to give some really tough messages to the people....God ordained messages that spoke to folks' souls....
We, as the congregation, don't help the situation when we idolize and place pastors on pedestals...flatter and pet their ego's. We ALL are human...and have battles against sin in our lives.
I am sure that when a surrendered pastor has spent time in prayer before standing before a congregation to give a divinely inspired message--understanding the sacred role of being a mouthpiece for God regardless of how the message is received--he can rest assured that God is pleased...

Couldn't have been said better, the main reason for all the validation sought after is the disconnection with the Holy Spirit.

I can understand and patiently let a young minister outgrow that phase of his pulpit ministry.
However, he is not expected to remain there. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong in seeking an improvement in your pulpit skills.
The preferred way to get that feed back is to record the preachings and listen to it afterwards to make necessary corrections and improvements.
Perhaps, a Bible reference was made wrongly or an irrelevant illustration or story that was shared spontaneously. All of that can be honestly reviewed by the preacher towards a better presentation subsequently.
Re: Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:09pm On Feb 23
For him to ask, it tells you that "he does not know what he (say) do"
Re: Is It Necessary For A Preacher To Ask Members Of Audience How His Message Was? by Eviana(f): 8:54pm On Feb 23
seyi360:

Couldn't have been said better, the main reason for all the validation sought after is the disconnection with the Holy Spirit.

I can understand and patiently let a young minister outgrow that phase of his pulpit ministry.
However, he is not expected to remain there. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong in seeking an improvement in your pulpit skills.
The preferred way to get that feed back is to record the preachings and listen to it afterwards to make necessary corrections and improvements.
Perhaps, a Bible reference was made wrongly or an irrelevant illustration or story that was shared spontaneously
. All of that can be honestly reviewed by the preacher towards a better presentation subsequently.

Oh ok...you were talking moreso about a young pastor....although temptation will be great for him too newly starting out.
I can, however, understand the bolded totally. You are right. That's a good suggestion too...makes sense. Or have a "seasoned" or "godly" elder or two offer some suggestions.
You know what I've learned?
After sermons, while exiting the church & shaking the pastor's hands, or even at a later time, some members will individually let the pastor know "how" they felt about the message....be it "good", "bad", or "ugly"..without even him having to ask!

Thanks for your reply.

(1) (Reply)

Grace And Peace / Divinity / Organising A Revival, Advise Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.