Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,402 members, 7,819,430 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. (8435 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Childofthelord(f): 6:52pm On May 15, 2021
Thank you so much.
Mrfolksy:
I feel your pain dear, just be calm with the situations. But let no one make you feel you don't need friends overthere. The friends you make today is what your kids will call connection tomorrow. Try to study your contenance, as you go out daily, wear a good smiling face and try to greet coursemates and any one you find interesting with a hi. some of us here on NL have not been there before so filter our advices before implimentation. best of luck.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Boss13: 9:33pm On May 15, 2021
Canada - what a lonely and cold place. A place where the word friend is truly cherished because it's quite hard to find a friend.

A place where people act so busy and those you know are keeping competition tabs on you. A place where the winter is so harsh, it messes with your mind.

Canada is a beautiful place but not a friendly place.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Melison(m): 7:59am On May 16, 2021
Childofthelord:
Hi everyone,

My name is Grace, 21yrs, I am in my 3rd year student, pursing a BN degree in Nursing administration (UBC) in Canada. However, since I left Nigeria in 2018, my life never remained the same. Let me start by saying a little about myself.
I come from a Christian home in Nigeria, my parents both attend deeper life.
They are hardcore disciplinarians and prayer warriors. My mum especially, each time i came back from school, my mum searched my bag. I was not allowed to have any social networking apps, not even WhatsApp, my mum always checked my phone. All my parents ever care about is my education and getting good grades. If i am not talking about books, i am not making sense( i was not allowed to attend prom). I had no outfits, just normal clothes and school uniform. I am never allowed to visit friends, go out or have friends over. I spent a large chunk of my time in my bedroom. I do not know how to socialize or communicate with people.
My social life was in bad shape and i never realized it.
I realized that my upbringing and the way i lived my life has really affected me now. I have trouble making friends and even sometimes when people approach me, they go mute after some days, it appears like i cannot keep friends. There are 60 students in my department and i could not make friends with one person, i do not have anyone to check with after an exam or test, nobody checks on me either. I always conatact the professors directly if i have any issues.
To be frank, I did spend 2 years in Unilag before coming to Canada and I had quite a number of friends, many guys were toasting me. I even lost count as some point. But ever since i stepped into this Canada, no guy, i repeat no guy has ever asked me out. white oh, black oh, hispanic oh, nothing. Though i have a number of acquittances but no one to share a drink with or talk about how the day went. This was different from when i was in Nigeria.
Right now I am really trying to make friends but each time i try, the energy is always coming from my end and sometimes they ignore me. I have no best friend, no boyfriend, no padi padi. I believe i have a bright future ahead of me but sometimes i just feel lost with how lonely i get.
Sometimes i feel like there a spirit of loneliness following me, i have no roommates too.
This has not stopped me from doing what i have to do and studying well, but i find it a little disturbing.
Is this normal? for students studying abroad? Maybe I am just different, I dunno.
I am willing to answer any questions?
Can we be friends online?

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by shollay09(m): 10:43pm On May 20, 2021
Childofthelord:
Thank you so much.
just get to be yourself! The right guy will come along... Anyways, the name is Olusola .... My hands of friendship is extended towards you though!

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Damilolly(f): 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2021
Hi Grace, I hope things are looking up for you since you wrote this post.

I have three of my closest female friends in Canada. One single, one divorcing and one married. They're early 40s but lovely, kind Christian women excelling in their professions.

Join local Facebook interest groups on gardening, neighbourhood community, dating tips (women only), current affairs etc.
Internations is a good expat group with lots of activities too. They have a good website and app. Nextdoor is another good app.

I advice you to date widely ie irrespective of race. Dip your feet in the online dating pool. Be strict and avoid anyone who waves a pink talkless of a red flag. Avoid physical intimacy even when you've decided to be an item. Irrespective of your faith, this is the best way to date intelligently, protecting yourself from making decisions in a vulnerable state. Only meet in public places convenient for you. Don't talk for ages with anyone you meet online, they can pretend to be anything and you've allowed yourself to bond and build castles in the air. If they're interested they'll arrange to meet you.

Look for public speaking clubs eg Toastmasters. It will help build your professional network and your confidence.

Volunteer in your locality eg gardening, library, tutoring etc. Join a Bible believing living church, not necessarily a Nigerian church. Infact avoid Nigerian churches and seek out those that are more mixed in nationality.

Don't fall into the temptation of falling in love with someone living in Nigeria. You'll enjoy your diaspora life better if you marry a man who lived within close proximity to you and in the country you wish t settle. A Canadian doesn't have the mindset of an economic migrant so he will be focused on you and your family; he'll be able to lead, teach and guide you to enjoy all the resources before you. You need to be looking forward more than you're looking backward. One of my close friend in Canada married a guy she connected with in Nigeria through her friend. They got married and he migrated to Canada. He was normal before he migrated but it was a terrible story afterwards. The guy resented her for being so successful. She's an engineer and doing superb but the guy and his mum fought and insulted her all the time. They're about finalising their divorce. He was a Deeper Life brother. Please don't limit your pool.

Look for hiking and cycling trips, singles expeditions and walks. Once you start earning well you can add single Christian holiday trips too.

In the meantime focus on activities that'll challenge your disposition to striking friendships.

7 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by neurosci: 4:27pm On Nov 05, 2021
Damilolly:

I have three of my closest female friends in Canada. One single, one divorcing and one married. They're early 40s but lovely, kind Christian women excelling in their professions.

Join local Facebook interest groups on gardening, neighbourhood community, dating tips (women only), current affairs etc.
Internations is a good expat group with lots of activities too. They have a good website and app. Nextdoor is another good app.

I advice you to date widely ie irrespective of race. Dip your feet in the online dating pool. Be strict and avoid anyone who waves a pink talkless of a red flag. Avoid physical intimacy even when you've decided to be an item. Irrespective of your faith, this is the best way to date intelligently, protecting yourself from making decisions in a vulnerable state. Only meet in public places convenient for you. Don't talk for ages with anyone you meet online, they can pretend to be anything and you've allowed yourself to bond and build castles in the air. If they're interested they'll arrange to meet you.

Look for public speaking clubs eg Toastmasters. It will help build your professional network and your confidence.

Volunteer in your locality eg gardening, library, tutoring etc. Join a Bible believing living church, not necessarily a Nigerian church. Infact avoid Nigerian churches and seek out those that are more mixed in nationality.

Don't fall into the temptation of falling in love with someone living in Nigeria. You'll enjoy your diaspora life better if you marry a man who lived within close proximity to you and in the country you wish t settle. A Canadian doesn't have the mindset of an economic migrant so he will be focused on you and your family; he'll be able to lead, teach and guide you to enjoy all the resources before you. You need to be looking forward more than you're looking backward. One of my close friend in Canada married a guy she connected with in Nigeria through her friend. They got married and he migrated to Canada. He was normal before he migrated but it was a terrible story afterwards. The guy resented her for being so successful. She's an engineer and doing superb but the guy and his mum fought and insulted her all the time. They're about finalising their divorce. He was a Deeper Life brother. Please don't limit your pool.

Look for hiking and cycling trips, singles expeditions and walks. Once you start earning well you can add single Christian holiday trips too.

In the meantime focus on activities that'll challenge your disposition to striking friendships.

Hmm, I wouldn’t normally do this, but several pieces of advice here are deeply concerning. Full of stereotypes and false hopes that could be damaging. Op, tread with caution.

3 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by ednut1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 05, 2021
Damilolly:

there are several women who married Nigerian based men and are enjoying the marriage. Nigerians should also normalize being single too, marriage in the western world is not a thing like it used to be. Get a sperm donor, buy a cat or dog too

4 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Ramsey19: 7:09pm On Nov 05, 2021
My case is similar but changed of environment caused mine. I'm happy about it most time because it helps me to avoid toxic friends and have more time for myself to study and rest. Although I have friends in my University but we aren't close (just random) and I came across most of them through seeking academic assistance ( I remember I met a guy to teach me what I knew just to be his friend), offering academic assistance to people, took a leadership roles in associations and I bought things for members sometimes, e.t.c

You could do that too. Meet people for help, help people, join association that will add value to you and be an active member and don't forget your primary assignment.

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by essentialone(m): 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
Please which universities in Canada is open for applications to BSc in Nursing as at today being 15th June, 2022?
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Childofthelord(f): 6:00pm On Jun 19, 2022
For Fall 2022? I can asure you 99% of BN applications are already closed. If you are really serious about studying BN in any Canadian university, you had better start your research and know the prequisites needed for appplication come January 2023. Some Nursing schools are more competitive than others, there are tons of information online about various nursing schools including tution, required courses etc. And if you prefer Licenced Practical Nursing, its just 2 years for most universities. Either ways, do your research and know what you want. Adios
essentialone:
Please which universities in Canada is open for applications to BSc in Nursing as at today being 15th June, 2022?
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by olalekan9320(m): 4:20am On Jun 28, 2022
Childofthelord:
For Fall 2022? I can asure you 99% of BN applications are already closed. If you are really serious about studying BN in any Canadian university, you had better start your research and know the prequisites needed for appplication come January 2023.
please can you suggest or recommend any school to apply to? For Jan 2023 or fall 2023

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Childofthelord(f): 1:21am On Jun 29, 2022
You would have to do your research, there is at least one nursing school in each province. So, depending on where you plan to settle, make findings of the closest nursing school; pre-requisites, admission eligibility, tuition etc. would be on their website. Btw most 4-year BN programs only do yearly intakes in September, 2-year LPN programs sometimes take in candidates during the winter term, so get your search engines running smiley
olalekan9320:
please can you suggest or recommend any school to apply to? For Jan 2023 or fall 2023
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by olalekan9320(m): 12:28pm On Jun 29, 2022
Childofthelord:
You would have to do your research, there is at least one nursing school in each province. So, depending on where you plan to settle, make findings of the closest nursing school; pre-requisites, admission eligibility, tuition etc. would be on their website. Btw most 4-year BN programs only do yearly intakes in September, 2-year LPN programs sometimes take in candidates during the winter term, so get your search engines running smiley
Thanks, gotten like 5 schools already. I can't apply to all the 5 of the fees so I'm trying to water it down.
I asked because some are lenient regarding waivers since the course is accelerated or post degree nursing. Like for accepting plain Physiology like I did for Human physiology
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Qre1: 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
Will be in Toronto in coming December or January let’s connect via dm
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Cousin9999: 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2022
Btw Nursing is worth whatever hard work you have to put in. It will not disappoint. And you will have a lot of options in your career.

And to all of you current and future nurses, nothing but respect and appreciation.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. by Dukeolumidemans(m): 7:48am On Jul 01, 2022
Childofthelord:
Hi everyone,

My name is Grace, 21yrs, I am in my 3rd year student, pursing a BN degree in Nursing administration (UBC) in Canada. However, since I left Nigeria in 2018, my life never remained the same. Let me start by saying a little about myself.
I come from a Christian home in Nigeria, my parents both attend deeper life.
They are hardcore disciplinarians and prayer warriors. My mum especially, each time i came back from school, my mum searched my bag. I was not allowed to have any social networking apps, not even WhatsApp, my mum always checked my phone. All my parents ever care about is my education and getting good grades. If i am not talking about books, i am not making sense( i was not allowed to attend prom). I had no outfits, just normal clothes and school uniform. I am never allowed to visit friends, go out or have friends over. I spent a large chunk of my time in my bedroom. I do not know how to socialize or communicate with people.
My social life was in bad shape and i never realized it.
I realized that my upbringing and the way i lived my life has really affected me now. I have trouble making friends and even sometimes when people approach me, they go mute after some days, it appears like i cannot keep friends. There are 60 students in my department and i could not make friends with one person, i do not have anyone to check with after an exam or test, nobody checks on me either. I always conatact the professors directly if i have any issues.
To be frank, I did spend 2 years in Unilag before coming to Canada and I had quite a number of friends, many guys were toasting me. I even lost count as some point. But ever since i stepped into this Canada, no guy, i repeat no guy has ever asked me out. white oh, black oh, hispanic oh, nothing. Though i have a number of acquittances but no one to share a drink with or talk about how the day went. This was different from when i was in Nigeria.
Right now I am really trying to make friends but each time i try, the energy is always coming from my end and sometimes they ignore me. I have no best friend, no boyfriend, no padi padi. I believe i have a bright future ahead of me but sometimes i just feel lost with how lonely i get.
Sometimes i feel like there a spirit of loneliness following me, i have no roommates too.
This has not stopped me from doing what i have to do and studying well, but i find it a little disturbing.
Is this normal? for students studying abroad? Maybe I am just different, I dunno.
I am willing to answer any questions?

Hi, I will be ur friend. I will send u a Dm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ghanaian High Comission Deny News Of Confisticating Nigerians' Money / After 3 Months Of Lockdown, See How People Sat Inside A Plane In Nigeria! / Man Finds Dead Eagle With GPS Device, Show All Countries It Visited In 1year(Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.