Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It (4618 Views)

Can I Sell My House To Relocate 2 Canada At The Age Of 43 On A 5yr Tourist Visa? / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by niyogeol(m): 7:35pm On Mar 04, 2021
finnacle2020:
hello Nairalands, am considering travelling to UK for 2 years masters degree after which my family will join me. I am married with 5 kids and my wife works with a federal agency. recently a friend told me that i need about 25m to 30m to fully settle with my family in UK.

am thinking of selling my property in lagos to raise the money but does it worth?
Hello Mr. Finnacle2020, from what you have stated, I don't think you are doing bad in Naija. But I wouldn't know the circumstances that must have made you consider relocating your family at this time.

My admonition might not be a popular one, but it is not based on a friend says or what not.

If you move to fund your MSc in the UK, you will be paying international fees which is not cheap. Give or take - 6m to 7m given the present exchange rate. That said, visa fees, medicals for visa application cost, flight fees and money needed to show for upkeep for visa application purpose would be high. Before you know it, the money you sold the house for would be almost half way spent.

Fast forward to getting to the UK, your spouse would be able to work fulltime to support the family. But this again would be largely dependent on the age of your kids - as they might need minder if they are below a certain age. Which would mean someone has to do that and limiting the chances of working for the person. The cost of running the home won't be cheap. Although your kids won't need to pay for pre University education.

Then post graduation, the reality of who are you sets in when trying to get a job that would be able to sponsor you for work permit. If this doesn't happen, what are you going to do to get the right to remain legally in the UK? Continue schooling to get cumulative 10 years stay in order to file for "Indefinite Leave To Remain"? How old would you be when you add the 10 years to your age? Or do you desire to be doing survival job at your age after studies when you had your stuff together in naija?

Another chance might be for your wife to consider nursing degree. They get work visa without much stress. And you as a dependent (man) can hustle to bring bread to the family's table.

In my view, UK is not a place you should sell your house to travel to. If you feel the need to move abroad, I would recommend you explore Canada as they have the best immigration rules to getting permanent residency and citizenship in the developed world.

10 Likes

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by naijadrivablog: 10:13pm On Mar 04, 2021
finnacle2020:
hello Nairalands, am considering travelling to UK for 2 years masters degree after which my family will join me. I am married with 5 kids and my wife works with a federal agency. recently a friend told me that i need about 25m to 30m to fully settle with my family in UK.

am thinking of selling my property in lagos to raise the money but does it worth?

Go and get your Masters, come back. If you must relocate, go to Canada.

No sell your house o to go to the UK of all countries.

3 Likes

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by finnacle2020: 9:32pm On Mar 08, 2021
niyogeol:
Hello Mr. Finnacle2020, from what you have stated, I don't think you are doing bad in Naija. But I wouldn't know the circumstances that must have made you consider relocating your family at this time.

My admonition might not be a popular one, but it is not based on a friend says or what not.

If you move to fund your MSc in the UK, you will be paying international fees which is not cheap. Give or take - 6m to 7m given the present exchange rate. That said, visa fees, medicals for visa application cost, flight fees and money needed to show for upkeep for visa application purpose would be high. Before you know it, the money you sold the house for would be almost half way spent.

Fast forward to getting to the UK, your spouse would be able to work fulltime to support the family. But this again would be largely dependent on the age of your kids - as they might need minder if they are below a certain age. Which would mean someone has to do that and limiting the chances of working for the person. The cost of running the home won't be cheap. Although your kids won't need to pay for pre University education.

Then post graduation, the reality of who are you sets in when trying to get a job that would be able to sponsor you for work permit. If this doesn't happen, what are you going to do to get the right to remain legally in the UK? Continue schooling to get cumulative 10 years stay in order to file for "Indefinite Leave To Remain"? How old would you be when you add the 10 years to your age? Or do you desire to be doing survival job at your age after studies when you had your stuff together in naija?

Another chance might be for your wife to consider nursing degree. They get work visa without much stress. And you as a dependent (man) can hustle to bring bread to the family's table.

In my view, UK is not a place you should sell your house to travel to. If you feel the need to move abroad, I would recommend you explore Canada as they have the best immigration rules to getting permanent residency and citizenship in the developed world.

thank you bro. i will be 40 years soon. i appreciate your advice. i would have considered canada but is not on my side.
Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by LauraClasikVibe(f): 1:25pm On Mar 09, 2021
finnacle2020:

lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by finnacle2020: 1:04pm On May 03, 2021
Thank you all for the advice so far....

I love Naija and no place like home. I pray Nigeria gets better Amen

2 Likes

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by LauraClasikVibe(f): 1:23pm On May 03, 2021
finnacle2020:
Thank you all for the advice so far....

I love Naija and no place like home. I pray Nigeria gets better Amen
Congratulations! We hope you don't regret staying back.
Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by Cousin9999: 1:24pm On May 03, 2021
The only way I see that working is if you send your wife to the US or Canada to train as a nurse, secure employment, and then get the rest of the family there. But I doubt your wife wants to leave her kids or you, and I question if your marriage can survive it. And you don't sound like your family is suffering enough to make it work. I suppose you could train as a nurse.
Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by descarado: 1:31pm On May 03, 2021
Hmmm
Ò dikwa risky
Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by finnacle2020: 2:57pm On May 03, 2021
Cousin9999:
The only way I see that working is if you send your wife to the US or Canada to train as a nurse, secure employment, and then get the rest of the family there. But I doubt your wife wants to leave her kids or you, and I question if your marriage can survive it. And you don't sound like your family is suffering enough to make it work. I suppose you could train as a nurse.

My wife does not want to leave naija.

1 Like

Re: Selling My House And Relocating To United Kingdom.====does It Worth It by Cousin9999: 4:50pm On May 03, 2021
finnacle2020:

My wife does not want to leave naija.

You could train as a physician assistant (like nursing, but broader range of options/duties) in Canada or the US.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uk Visiting Visa Please, How Do I Go About It? / Lagos To Owerri Is How Many Hours / Travelling To Nigeria For The First Time, How Much Should I Bring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.