Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo (65159 Views)

Congo Government Seizes The Mountain Of Gold Discovered By Villagers / Villagers In Indonesia Killed 300 Crocodile After One Killed A Man(Pics) / Lady Raped And Beheaded In Congo For Serving Forbidden Fish To Rebels (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by Seniorwriter(m): 8:29am On Mar 04, 2021
francisgodstime:
Bro show me d way 2

You know what to-do....

Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!!
@Seniorwriter
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 04, 2021
Seniorwriter:

You know what to-do....
Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!! @Seniorwriter
I don't know what to do give me a clue. am very serious
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by blueAgent(m): 3:56pm On Mar 04, 2021
Dasuks:

I am not being biased. Or rather, it is not my intention. Dont over estimate the cost shouldered by the investors. Depending on the JV nnpc can be 55 or 60 %. Lng is run well because Nnpc is 49 %, while shell total and eni hold 51%. And lng is an actual company, not just a project(field).

Nnpc doesnt live up to its funding responsibilities. Rather it lets the companies claim the cost that was spent on its behalf. That's one of the reasons for the rise in PSCs over traditional JVs. If ure gonna spend on the nnpv part why not do it already ?

Good for Guinea. But what I'm talking about is Congo. Those figures wre low. Country that size and well endowed making less than 10 bln USD from all those ores and minerals ?
And yes Nigeria is being cheated. They're always finding a margin of differential between what was exported and quoted. But it's usually years later.... before the court cases come and go. And everyone allows it slide either way. Because afterall nnpc isn't living up to it's JV obligations.

You still cannot justify the theft in Congo. Esp the one by Gertler. Mind you my brother, Im not tryna play Africa is a victim card here.... im just saying that Congo is getting royally shafted for the volumes that they produce and the true worth of it.

Congo shld be wealthier than Nigeria on an annual income basis.

I guess I just don't feel for int'l investors who up play their trials and difficulties. Cos when the next email leak occurs, you'd see messages about them detailing how they cheat those African monkeys or some other BS.

Then again you're being fair. I can see that too.

Before you claim that Congo is making less which I can partly agree, especially when you look at the quantity of resources they have.
You need to consider the fact that most mining are done informally by rebels and artisan miners who smuggle the minerals out of Congo without paying royalties, taxes and duties.

Secondly you cannot compare oil revenue to solid minerals oil is far more lucrative and sales more than minerals. I have been into physical Commodity business for over 10yrs so am talking from experience.

What you described is all over the World it is not peculiar to African nations, MNC worldover always try to cut costs and corners to maximize profit.

It is up to the government of any country to do the needful.

Nigeria is not cheated becos if the IOC where able to prove their case in court and won, then they are right.

It's our corruption and poor administrative skills that empower this MNC to short charge us.
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 04, 2021
blueAgent:

Before you claim that Congo is making less which I can partly agree, especially when you look at the quantity of resources they have.
You need to consider the fact that most mining are done informally by rebels and artisan miners who smuggle the minerals out of Congo without paying royalties, taxes and duties.

Secondly you cannot compare oil revenue to solid minerals oil is far more lucrative and sales more than minerals. I have been into physical Commodity business for over 10yrs so am talking from experience.

What you described is all over the World it is not peculiar to African nations, MNC worldover always try to cut costs and corners to maximize profit.

It is up to the government of any country to do the needful.

Nigeria is not cheated becos if the IOC where able to prove their case in court and won, then they are right.

It's our corruption and poor administrative skills that empower this MNC to short charge us.

Firstly, I agree with you on the point about our complacency and corruption. I am not making an excuse for any of that. My issue here is the profile of Congo's earnings.
Yes oil is more lucrative and bigger than the entire minerals industry complex. But u see Im not comparing Congo with KSA or Russia. I am using Nigeria as a bar. And yes maybe Nigeria is too high of a bar to use, okay let me use congo Brazzaville. I believe they do circa 300k bopd (less than 1% of the oil industry's 90 mln bopd volume).

Mind u, DRC's production isn't hinged on one single mineral. The opportunities for minima value added activity has not yet been actualized as well.
And yes the rebels and different militias control mining areas etc. Like in eastern Congo where that hypocrite's (Kagame) allies and generals are milking the place dry to the detriment of Kinshasa.

All I am trying to point out is that for a country with multiple endowments and almost a 100 million ppl, seeing less than 10 bln USD off multiple channels ( copper, tin, cobalt etc) is suspect. Esp, when u look at the %s and the enforcement of their collection.

Now I may be wrong on my broad assumptions and insistence on the revenues being higher just for the sake of it. However, judging from ur responses I can tell that if u were the man in charge in Kinshasa u would not feel at ease with the whole setup.

Esp when u look across the water to Brazzavile or further to Luanda and Abuja. Cos Congo is supposed to be side by side with us.
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by Seniorwriter(m): 6:19pm On Mar 04, 2021
francisgodstime:
I don't know what to do give me a clue. am very serious

Reach me on facebook....my ID is on my profile here....
Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!!
@Seniorwriter
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by blueAgent(m): 7:35pm On Mar 04, 2021
Dasuks:

Firstly, I agree with you on the point about our complacency and corruption. I am not making an excuse for any of that. My issue here is the profile of Congo's earnings.
Yes oil is more lucrative and bigger than the entire minerals industry complex. But u see Im not comparing Congo with KSA or Russia. I am using Nigeria as a bar. And yes maybe Nigeria is too high of a bar to use, okay let me use congo Brazzaville. I believe they do circa 300k bopd (less than 1% of the oil industry's 90 mln bopd volume).

Mind u, DRC's production isn't hinged on one single mineral. The opportunities for minima value added activity has not yet been actualized as well.
And yes the rebels and different militias control mining areas etc. Like in eastern Congo where that hypocrite's (Kagame) allies and generals are milking the place dry to the detriment of Kinshasa.

All I am trying to point out is that for a country with multiple endowments and almost a 100 million ppl, seeing less than 10 bln USD off multiple channels ( copper, tin, cobalt etc) is suspect. Esp, when u look at the %s and the enforcement of their collection.

Now I may be wrong on my broad assumptions and insistence on the revenues being higher just for the sake of it. However, judging from ur responses I can tell that if u were the man in charge in Kinshasa u would not feel at ease with the whole setup.

Esp when u look across the water to Brazzavile or further to Luanda and Abuja. Cos Congo is supposed to be side by side with us.

So true, I agree with you, the problem is from the Congolese government. They need to sit up, control there borders, enforce there mining code and ensure that artsain miners pay taxes,royalties to the government.

In my own estimate I feel Congo should be receiving at least 5 to 15billion dollars per year as revenue from mineral exports.

Especially when you consider that they export copper. One of the most expensive mineral with an average price of 4500 to 6000dollars per metric ton.

Another aspect I would want the Congolese government to look into is the area of mineral processing, it creates jobs and adds more value and increases your export revenue.
For example rather than export just copper ores Congo can invest in copper processing that turns those copper ores into copper sheets, milbery and wires.

I appreciate our conversation, you seems to be one of the few enlightened people on this forum, most of the so called woke people do not understand economics politics and how things run in this World.
Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 04, 2021
blueAgent:

So true, I agree with you, the problem is from the Congolese government. They need to sit up, control there borders, enforce there mining code and ensure that artsain miners pay taxes,royalties to the government.

In my own estimate I feel Congo should be receiving at least 5 to 15billion dollars per year as revenue from mineral exports.

Especially when you consider that they export copper. One of the most expensive mineral with an average price of 4500 to 6000dollars per metric ton.

Another aspect I would want the Congolese government to look into is the area of mineral processing, it creates jobs and adds more value and increases your export revenue.
For example rather than export just copper ores Congo can invest in copper processing that turns those copper ores into copper sheets, milbery and wires.

I appreciate our conversation, you seems to be one of the few enlightened people on this forum, most of the so called woke people do not understand economics politics and how things run in this World.

It was a pleasure my friend. You actually raised useful points that I ignored in my POV. Esp because the oil trade far exceeds minerals. Ppl tend to compare them on a one to one basis and I nearly did that over our exchange.

I wish Congo the best. I would say minimum 10 bln USD ( with the value added activities included). And I pray God judges that fake woke hypocrite called Kagame. Eastern Congo is down cos of him and his agents. And seeing how much Kabila was able to retain following his 'exit,' I would say that Congo needs to try to build their institutions from the ground-up.... And at least keep the money indoors. Im tired of hearing about foreign businessmen making more from African nations than the Africans themselves... Better arthur eze, adenuga or manuel vicente than some foreign carpetbagger. They spend the money within, not just externally. Better if Congo govt endorsed personalities take a proprietary position upstream.

Be safe and God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo by blueAgent(m): 11:06am On Mar 05, 2021
Dasuks:

It was a pleasure my friend. You actually raised useful points that I ignored in my POV. Esp because the oil trade far exceeds minerals. Ppl tend to compare them on a one to one basis and I nearly did that over our exchange.

I wish Congo the best. I would say minimum 10 bln USD ( with the value added activities included). And I pray God judges that fake woke hypocrite called Kagame. Eastern Congo is down cos of him and his agents. And seeing how much Kabila was able to retain following his 'exit,' I would say that Congo needs to try to build their institutions from the ground-up.... And at least keep the money indoors. Im tired of hearing about foreign businessmen making more from African nations than the Africans themselves... Better arthur eze, adenuga or manuel vicente than some foreign carpetbagger. They spend the money within, not just externally. Better if Congo govt endorsed personalities take a proprietary position upstream.

Be safe and God bless.

True.
I wish more Africans can go into entrepreneurship either solely or in partnership with foreign investors on good terms while the government duty will be to collect taxes ,royalties and ensure environmental standards are kept.

Local private firms will do better with foreign firms in terms of revenue collection than government especially when the local firm is a public company enlisted on the stock in the country.
Any way let's keep our fingers crossed and pray for better Africa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Kenyan President Wisely Shut Down Obama On Gay Issue(video) / Photo Of A U.S Soldier Nursing The Afghan Baby Handed Over By Mother / Donald Trump 'Sentenced To Death' By North Korea For Insulting Kim Jong Un

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.