Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her (3050 Views)

My OTP Still Sends To My Old Number Instead Of The Updated New Number / Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her / I Cant Receive OTP After Porting To Airtel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 03, 2021
A girl recently shared her painful experience with me on bank fraud. Due to security reasons, she decided not to have an ATM card, mobile transfer app (for Android) or ordinary transfers done with Nokia touch.

One evening, she was tricked into revealing an OTP code sent to her by her bank.

The next minute, a debit of #20,000 was made in her account. She later received a mail of online purchase. She narrated all these to me but I couldn't explain why because I thought fraudulent act can only be possible with an account that has ATM card or mobile transfer.

Please gurus, how possible is it? Someone should please explain.

Lastly, what do you advice her to do? She is confused, should she close the account?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by madridguy(m): 2:35pm On Mar 03, 2021
Tell the girl to report to the CBN.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SUPERPACK: 3:33pm On Mar 03, 2021
achidisucre:
A girl recently shared her painful experience with me on bank fraud. Due to security reasons, she decided not to have an ATM card, mobile transfer app (for Android) or ordinary transfers done with Nokia touch.

One evening, she was tricked into revealing an OTP code sent to her by her bank.

The next minute, a debit of #20,000 was made in her account. She later received a mail of online purchase. She narrated all these to me but I couldn't explain why because I thought fraudulent act can only be possible with an account that has ATM card or mobile transfer.

Lastly, what do you advice her to do? She is confused, should she close the account?
Paystack only needs your bank name, account number, BVN, and an OTP will be sent to your phone, once you enter it your account is debited immediately. Revealing the OTP sent to her was her greatest mistake. The method is called Paystack Pay with Bank. Just tell her to go to her bank and instruct the customer care to block all means of withdrawal on her account leaving only Over The Counter withdrawals.
Note: Paystack may not be the payment processor used on this occasion and I only mentioned them because they have the method above, in her case it could be another payment processor/Gateway. Only her bank can tell which payment processor processed the transaction for further investigations.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by DesChyko: 6:39pm On Mar 03, 2021
SUPERPACK:
Paystack only needs your bank name, account number, BVN, and an OTP will be sent to your phone, once you enter it your account is debited immediately. Revealing the OTP sent to her was her greatest mistake. The method is called Paystack Pay with Bank. Just tell her to go to her bank and instruct the customer care to block all means of withdrawal on her account leaving only Over The Counter withdrawals.

Shikena

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 03, 2021
SUPERPACK:

Thanks a lot
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by 1x2x3: 8:55pm On Mar 03, 2021
SUPERPACK:

Paystack also has a policy to retrieve back money from an account holder in cases of fraud. The paystack account the person sent the money can easily be traced out so I suggest she reports to her bank, email paystack and cbn.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by RemoveKebab: 9:25pm On Mar 03, 2021
You can apply for card dispense error or charge back.
From your bank or bank mobile app
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SUPERPACK: 9:25pm On Mar 03, 2021
1x2x3:

Paystack also has a policy to retrieve back money from an account holder in cases of fraud. The paystack account the person sent the money can easily be traced out so I suggest she reports to her bank, email paystack and cbn.
@achidisucre
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by lekjons(m): 10:14pm On Mar 03, 2021
For those who has ATM cards too.

You money can be wiped with just the card number and Security number (c.vv) behind the card.

No OTP or card pin required.
Be careful who you give your atm card to.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by heydenrey: 12:45am On Mar 04, 2021
lekjons:

You money can be wiped with just the card number and Security number (c.vv) behind the card.

bros, how far
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by BernieLee(m): 1:25am On Mar 04, 2021
lekjons:

No OTP, no Pin? i cant believe this one abeg. na jazz? i rstand to be corrected tho.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by Walkee: 1:34am On Mar 04, 2021
lekjons:

I cleaned my C.VV, is that enough security?
What's wrong with Nairaland? Why is Cee vee vee censored?
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by samsard(m): 3:04am On Mar 04, 2021
BernieLee:

No OTP, no Pin? i cant believe this one abeg. na jazz? i rstand to be corrected tho.
International platforms do not require OTP to debit your card.
I paid for my Netflix without receiving OTP, I believe Apple Music too if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by femi4: 5:56am On Mar 04, 2021
achidisucre:

OTP works on account not on ATM cards
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by BENEFICIAL12(m): 6:07am On Mar 04, 2021
First.... She is supposed to know what OTP is.

Why reveling the OTP knowing that you are not doing any transactions on your own.
Its just like revealing a Facebook password seset code to whoever scammer that calls for it... Facebook account hacked
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 04, 2021
1x2x3:

Please can you provide the email of CBN, the receipt detail is as follows

Online Purchase from COLLECTION P.P.L NIBSS STL A/C CD9B2-E52E4-7423C-E1DE6/

So I don't know if it is stack pay
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by moscobabs(m): 7:45am On Mar 04, 2021
achidisucre:

Please can you provide the email of CBN, the receipt detail is as follows

Online Purchase from COLLECTION P.P.L NIBSS STL A/C CD9B2-E52E4-7423C-E1DE6/

So I don't know if it is stack pay

Get it from their twitter handle.

You need to be very careful so you won't be scammed while seeking for help from individual online especially on faceless forum.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 04, 2021
Ok tnx
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SUPERPACK: 8:42am On Mar 04, 2021
BernieLee:

There are two types of Debit/credit card transactions; card present transaction and card not present transactions.
Card present transactions; this is when you transact with the card physically in an ATM stand, POS, Hotel checkout or Mall checkout, in these situations a pin is required to authenticate the transaction and show you own the card. Though in some situations, a contactless card can be swiped for payment without any pin or authentication method demanded.
Card not present transaction; This is when a purchase is been made with a card but it is online, so the seller is not seeing the buyer. In situations like this if it is local (inside Nigeria) purchase an OTP is needed to authenticate, but if it is international (outside Nigeria), a ¢vv is the only means of authentication mostly. The čvv is the 3 digits behind your card and when used during a card not present transaction indicates that the buyer is in possession of the card truly and should be his, so no OTP is sent. This is the only advantage of using a Verve card because it is only valid in Nigeria and for those with no intention to transact internationally.
I wish Nigerian banks will do more in sensitizing their customers on card security, uses and how to prevent fraud, I see no need giving a Visa card or Mastercard to an old man/woman or a young man who doesn't have plans to use it internationally. Also the way people hold their card on ATM queues as if it is an ID Card is dangerous because the person at your back could snap it with his phone and in such case now has the card too just like the owner.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by samsard(m): 9:31am On Mar 04, 2021
SUPERPACK:
There are two types of Debit/credit card transactions; card present transaction and card not present transactions.
Card present transactions; this is when you transact with the card physically in an ATM stand, POS, Hotel checkout or Mall checkout, in these situations a pin is required to authenticate the transaction and show you own the card.
Card not present transaction; his is when a purchase is been made with a card but it is online, so the seller is not seeing the buyer. In situations like this if it is local (insde Nigeria) purchase an OTP is needed to authenticate, but if it is international (outside Nigeria), a ¢vv is the only means of authentication mostly. The čvv is the 3 digits behind your card and when used during a card not present transaction indicates that the buyer is in possession of the card truly and should be his, so no OTP is sent.
Big man
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SUPERPACK: 9:36am On Mar 04, 2021
samsard:
Big man
Who be big man again. I dey find work in case you get. If possible make we share your GOT account.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by samsard(m): 9:37am On Mar 04, 2021
SUPERPACK:
Who be big man again. I dey find work in case you get. If possible make we share your GOT account.
grin No dey whine me jor.
Long time
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SUPERPACK: 9:40am On Mar 04, 2021
samsard:
grin No dey whine me jor.
Long time
I dey serious o. I never work since September last year so make you help person with connect.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by SpicyMimi(f): 9:50am On Mar 04, 2021
BernieLee:

Stay there! Who told you OTP is always used on online transactions? Lol e go shock you!
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by JubrinElSudan: 10:10am On Mar 04, 2021
Dear customer, DO NOT DISCLOSE THIS PIN! kindly use one time pin 26***9 to authenticate your registration
This was how I got the above message from Union Bank when I know I never initiated any transaction
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by BernieLee(m): 10:17am On Mar 04, 2021
SpicyMimi:

Stay there! Who told you OTP is always used on online transactions? Lol e go shock you!
Lol i dey sleep ontop Okada be that.
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by 8BowlofFlour: 11:06am On Mar 04, 2021
SUPERPACK:
Card present transactions; this is when you transact with the card physically in an ATM stand, POS, Hotel checkout or Mall checkout, in these situations a pin is required to authenticate the transaction and show you own the card. Though in some situations, a contactless card can be swiped for payment without any pin or authentication method demanded.
Card not present transaction; This is when a purchase is been made with a card but it is online, so the seller is not seeing the buyer. In situations like this if it is local (inside Nigeria) purchase an OTP is needed to authenticate, but if it is international (outside Nigeria), a ¢vv is the only means of authentication mostly. The čvv is the 3 digits behind your card and when used during a card not present transaction indicates that the buyer is in possession of the card truly and should be his, so no OTP is sent. This is the only advantage of using a Verve card because it is only valid in Nigeria and for those with no intention to transact internationally.
I wish Nigerian banks will do more in sensitizing their customers on card security, uses and how to prevent fraud, I see no need giving a Visa card or Mastercard to an old man/woman or a young man who doesn't have plans to use it internationally. Also the way people hold their card on ATM queues as if it is an ID Card is dangerous because the person at your back could snap it with his phone and in such case now has the card too just like the owner.
wow this is enlightening
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by yetunsbay(m): 11:19am On Mar 04, 2021
lekjons:

and the best is to always lock your Debit Card via ur mobile app sandwich with a SIM lock
Re: Bank Fraud With Only OTP, How? Please Advice Her by yetunsbay(m): 11:23am On Mar 04, 2021
SUPERPACK:
the best is to use your Card Control icon wisely on ur bank mobile app + sim lock

(1) (Reply)

Running Opera Mini On Nokia 6070 And Motorola V3 / How Fast And Reliable Is Glo Data Connection In Your Area?? / Check Out New 2go Interface

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.