Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,909 members, 7,821,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic (27750 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / URGENT - In State Of Delimma / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by ngadaAwo: 9:37pm On Mar 06, 2021
[s]
GeneralPula:
I think both are useless..
[/s]
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by BabaAroba: 9:40pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mokason288:
Federal poly ... most states don’t pay salaries

Worse of them is Kogi state university
No, state university is the best, they're paying them through IPPIS now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by capitalzero: 9:45pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:
Please help out with reasonable contributions.

If given two different offer to lecture in a State University and a Federal Polytechnic, which one should one go for?
Anything federal is better than state.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by capitalzero: 9:46pm On Mar 06, 2021
BabaAroba:
No, state university is the best, they're paying them through IPPIS now

Which state university is paying through ippis.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Killermamba: 9:47pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:

If given two different offer to lecture in a State University and a Federal Polytechnic, which one should one go for?

Go state federal too dey owe
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Killermamba: 9:49pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:

Go state federal too dey owe salary

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by osazsky(m): 9:52pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:
Tanx for this. That means State University is better base on d fact u can grow to d highest education level. Their problem is d payment
Nigerians ehnn..u will be growing without payment.wahala b like renult scenic..he problem nor dey finish .wat we recieves in fg schools for workers in grade lvl 7 is equivalent to lvl 9 step 4 in state sch

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Tsavo: 9:52pm On Mar 06, 2021
Go for state university
From state university is very easy to change to federal university with same level, but coming from federal poly as a PhD holder the will lower your level.

5 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by WoundedLamb: 9:53pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:
Tanx for this. That means State University is better base on d fact u can grow to d highest education level. Their problem is d payment

I think you can grow in a polytechnic as well. The highest degree a learning institution can offer is the doctorate degree (as professorship isn't a degree) and earning a doctorate has nothing to do with where you are teaching. In other words, you mustn't do your doctorate in the school you're teaching. If polytechnics in Nigeria don't do Phd programs, you can be doing that elsewhere while teaching and earning your pay in a polytechnic. When you have your doctorate, most state and even federal universities will gladly accept you. You can then continue you research and publications there if being a professor is your end goal. That's like having a bit of both worlds each coming just when you need it.

6 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by osazsky(m): 9:54pm On Mar 06, 2021
Killermamba:

Go state federal too dey owe salary
federal govt will always continue to pay salary but its d allowances thats d prob..but state like kogi and edo osun go just use ur 4 years salary do election most workers don drink sniper

4 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by relicng: 9:59pm On Mar 06, 2021
Na federal sure pass. Buhari or no Buhari, federal will always federal.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by AgentGoat: 9:59pm On Mar 06, 2021
Fed poly my friend.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Emperor5(m): 10:00pm On Mar 06, 2021
From experience fed poly is better...some state University can frustrated their staff... from constant reduction of salary, delay in salary payment
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Killermamba: 10:09pm On Mar 06, 2021
osazsky:
federal govt will always continue to pay salary but its d allowances thats d prob..but state like kogi and edo osun go just use ur 4 years salary do election most workers don drink sniper

�����
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by extol1(m): 10:30pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mokason288:

u must have a friend in that university

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Cajal(m): 10:36pm On Mar 06, 2021
State university is far better
Salary is the same with or even more than that of federal university as a result of reduced Tax
They may delay ur dues @ state but definitely not denying u
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Cajal(m): 10:37pm On Mar 06, 2021
State university is far better
Salary is the same with or even more than that of federal university as a result of reduced Tax
They may delay ur dues @ state but definitely not denying u...sir
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by LoveThemChubby(m): 10:40pm On Mar 06, 2021
You're asking the wrong question bro. The major question you should answer by yourself is "what are my career goals?". Your careeer goals will determine whether any of the choices is preferrable.
If you are asking for just the money, you can choose the federal poly but if it is for career progression, with the desire to ultimately end up as a prof, the state uni is a better path.
Some may argue that even career wise you can choose the poly and later switch to a uni, the truth is that the chances of that happening is very slim because by the time workload takes a toll on you and you consider the fact that your years of experience in teaching in the poly may not count if and when you choose to cross to the uni, you will just maintain.

More importantly, a good number of Lecturers from poly & Coes I have come across hardly take further studies seriously until they get to the point where they can't be promoted without a higher degree. This can be very detrimental to you if you are very ambitious.

5 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2021
If you want to be a professor, then stick to state university but be ready to suffer non payment of salary sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by DiegoMaria(m): 11:14pm On Mar 06, 2021
Federal polytechnic
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by McLizbae: 11:18pm On Mar 06, 2021
All words have already been said.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by daniel7328(m): 11:22pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mokason288:

seems you finished from KSU..
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Idamond: 11:25pm On Mar 06, 2021
LoveThemChubby:
You're asking the wrong question bro. The major question you should answer by yourself is "what are my career goals?". Your careeer goals will determine whether any of the choices is preferrable.
If you are asking for just the money, you can choose the federal poly but if it is for career progression, with the desire to ultimately end up as a prof, the state uni is a better path.
Some may argue that even career wise you can choose the poly and later switch to a uni, the truth is that the chances of that happening is very slim because by the time workload takes a toll on you and you consider the fact that your years of experience in teaching in the poly may not count if and when you choose to cross to the uni, you will just maintain.

More importantly, a good number of Lecturers from poly & Coes I have come across hardly take further studies seriously until they get to the point where they can't be promoted without a higher degree. This can be very detrimental to you if you are very ambitious.

is it not possible to be teaching in fed poly and be doing ur Msc in uni?
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Nonyeadamu: 11:38pm On Mar 06, 2021
Anyone your heart chooses.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by ybn(m): 11:46pm On Mar 06, 2021
Mario1989:

NO BASIS TO COMPARE A UNIVERSITY WITH POLYTECHNIC. A UNIVERSITY, WHETHER OWNED BY FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL GOVT OR PRIVATE IS HIGHER AND MORE BENEFICIAL THAN POLYTECHNIC.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by edoairways: 11:48pm On Mar 06, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see State universities and polytechnics closing down due to the government's inability to pay salaries. This I have seen.

Op go for the federal job.
This prophet sef cheesy cheesy
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by gowonmaharajah(m): 12:07am On Mar 07, 2021
edoairways:
This prophet sef cheesy cheesy
brother long time o.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Lekan239(m): 12:13am On Mar 07, 2021
Akowepower:
One thing you are sure of in a federal polytechnic is regular payment of salaries while it is not in most state universities.

Other thing is u cant become a professor in a federal polytechnic while u can in a state university if u have the necessary requirements.

With a minimum of M.Sc. u can rise to the level of a Chief lecturer in a federal polytechnic but not in a state university cos minimum requirements is a PhD to even get to Senior lecturer position.

So many other things

so those lecturers with PhD in polytechnic can rise to chief chief lecturer abi?

Pls update yourself and your knowledge. Maybe by then, you might stop spewing trash.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Lekan239(m): 12:22am On Mar 07, 2021
LoveThemChubby:

the funniest thing about this your write up sis is that 80% of my departmental lecturers in a federal polytechnic are PhD Holder, and they all attained the degree while in service, the remaining 20% are enrolled already.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Job Is Making Me Suicidal.. Pls I Need Advice / 14 Interview Questions And Their Best Possible Answers / What Are The Job Opportunities For Microbiologist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.