Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic (27623 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / URGENT - In State Of Delimma / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by OLULAW: 12:34am On Mar 07, 2021
You didn't state your existing qualification(s). However, it seems you're a career starter. Your best bet is to take the federal job, assuming your long term career goal is to remain an academic. You should then ensure you gain your PhD, if you dont already have it. Then, switch to a Federal university. Your years of service will be merged and continue to count. Polytechnics can't be compared to universities - its like comparing oranges with apples. That said, initially, it would appear you're working in lower cadre institution (which is what it is), once you make the transition to a Federal University, that feeling disappears. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Jobabori(m): 1:54am On Mar 07, 2021
LoveThemChubby:
You're asking the wrong question bro. The major question you should answer by yourself is "what are my career goals?". Your careeer goals will determine whether any of the choices is preferrable.
If you are asking for just the money, you can choose the federal poly but if it is for career progression, with the desire to ultimately end up as a prof, the state uni is a better path.
Some may argue that even career wise you can choose the poly and later switch to a uni, the truth is that the chances of that happening is very slim because by the time workload takes a toll on you and you consider the fact that your years of experience in teaching in the poly may not count if and when you choose to cross to the uni, you will just maintain.

More importantly, a good number of Lecturers from poly & Coes I have come across hardly take further studies seriously until they get to the point where they can't be promoted without a higher degree. This can be very detrimental to you if you are very ambitious.
Not all lecturers in a state or Federal University attained the rank of Professorship. It is not automatic.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by madridsta007(m): 2:27am On Mar 07, 2021
Mario1989:
Please help out with reasonable contributions.

If given two different offer to lecture in a State University and a Federal Polytechnic, which one should one go for?

Federal Poly.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by bigfish3k: 3:44am On Mar 07, 2021
Mokason288:
Federal poly ... most states don’t pay salaries

Worse of them is Kogi state university
And their governor will be disturbing us with his presidential ambition. Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by sinkhole: 5:56am On Mar 07, 2021
Mario1989:

If given two different offer to lecture in a State University and a Federal Polytechnic, which one should one go for?
Go for the Fed Poly but if you don't have PhD then start your PhD immediately and after getting the PhD then start looking for job in Fed Unis!
If you have risen considerably in the Poly, the Uni will put you on Lecturer1 position, this means you have nine(9) years to become a Professor if you have the required publications and others.
Mind you, you will also be transferring your years of experience to the Uni from the Poly, hence you may actually reach retirement before getting to Prof position!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Mokason288(m): 6:21am On Mar 07, 2021
extol1:

u must have a friend in that university
Yes I do... have a friend who is a lecturer there KSU
He has his PHD already no constant salary
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by ejimatic: 7:15am On Mar 07, 2021
Mario1989:

. Your choice and interest will determine what you will take.However let me say this as a guide too.1 Federal institutions are better than state institutions 2 Federal institutions pay better than state schools 3. Salary packages of the federal polys are almost the same with federal universities or one is slightly more than the other.That is why many lecturers don't want to leave polytechnics even if they are PhD holders. 4 Federal polys salary is more than that of a state university. 5 If you are a professor in a federal university your salary is a little different from that of a Chief Lecturer in a polytechnic owned by the federal government. 6 The enjoyment in federal polytechnics is more than even in a federal university in some areas.7 Do not be deceived by the title Professor there is nothing in it .What have many professors in Nigeria achieved apart from travelling out with TETFUND grants which federal polys have access to too? 8 In polytechnics you can go for your PhD and get more opportunities in many places including academics. 9 Nigeria today is about money not title 10 Think about comfort and satisfaction in your life which goes beyond academic titles any where. 11 Finally if you don't want any regret in your life run away from any state institution even university. From a federal polytechnic you can still go to a federal university if it is your dream to be a professor. 12 May God bless any decision you take on this matter.

10 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:29am On Mar 07, 2021
Mario1989:

How can one apply for the Federal poly
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by edoairways: 8:15am On Mar 07, 2021
gowonmaharajah:

brother long time o.
No see
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by extol1(m): 8:16am On Mar 07, 2021
Mokason288:

Yes I do... have a friend who is a lecturer there KSU
He has his PHD already no constant salary
that is the current situation of the university, most of their lecturers have deserted the school leaving the staffs scanty and overwork.

the funniest thing is that I don't see things changing, even if this government leaves power because a precedent has been set already
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by emitope: 9:04am On Mar 07, 2021
ejimatic:
. Your choice and interest will determine what you will take.However let me say this as a guide too.1 Federal institutions are better than state institutions 2 Federal institutions pay better than state schools 3. Salary packages of the federal polys are almost the same with federal universities or one is slightly more than the other.That is why many lecturers don't want to leave polytechnics even if they are PhD holders. 4 Federal polys salary is more than that of a state university. 5 If you are a professor in a federal university your salary is a little different from that of a Chief Lecturer in a polytechnic owned by the federal government. 6 The enjoyment in federal polytechnics is more than even in a federal university in some areas.7 Do not be deceived by the title Professor there is nothing in it .What have many professors in Nigeria achieved apart from travelling out with TETFUND grants? 8 In polytechnics you can go for your PhD and get more opportunities in many places including academics. 9 Nigeria today is about money not title 10 Think about comfort and satisfaction in your life which goes beyond academic titles any where. 11 Finally if you don't want any regret in your life run away from any state institution even university. From a federal polytechnic you can still go to a federal university if it is your dream to be a professor. 12 May God bless any decision you take on this matter.

I really loved this!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by BabaAroba: 9:08am On Mar 07, 2021
capitalzero:

Which state university is paying through ippis.
First Osun state university, Nasarawa state also kwara state e.t.c
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by capitalzero: 9:19am On Mar 07, 2021
BabaAroba:
First Osun state university, Nasarawa state also kwara state e.t.c
ippis is only for federal workers. Osun, lagos etc have other central payment platform similar to ippis but not IPPIS
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by capitalzero: 9:22am On Mar 07, 2021
ejimatic:
. Your choice and interest will determine what you will take.However let me say this as a guide too.1 Federal institutions are better than state institutions 2 Federal institutions pay better than state schools 3. Salary packages of the federal polys are almost the same with federal universities or one is slightly more than the other.That is why many lecturers don't want to leave polytechnics even if they are PhD holders. 4 Federal polys salary is more than that of a state university. 5 If you are a professor in a federal university your salary is a little different from that of a Chief Lecturer in a polytechnic owned by the federal government. 6 The enjoyment in federal polytechnics is more than even in a federal university in some areas.7 Do not be deceived by the title Professor there is nothing in it .What have many professors in Nigeria achieved apart from travelling out with TETFUND grants? 8 In polytechnics you can go for your PhD and get more opportunities in many places including academics. 9 Nigeria today is about money not title 10 Think about comfort and satisfaction in your life which goes beyond academic titles any where. 11 Finally if you don't want any regret in your life run away from any state institution even university. From a federal polytechnic you can still go to a federal university if it is your dream to be a professor. 12 May God bless any decision you take on this matter.

Fixed!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by miraculousGod(m): 9:32am On Mar 07, 2021
federal poly is better. You can transfer to.a federal University later. some of my lecturers in uni were formerly teaching in poly.
learn how to create white board animation videos for just a token. my number is showing underneath this post
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by LoveThemChubby(m): 10:22am On Mar 07, 2021
Lekan239:
the funniest thing about this your write up sis is that 80% of my departmental lecturers in a federal polytechnic are PhD Holder, and they all attained the degree while in service, the remaining 20% are enrolled already.
How long did it take them? I never said they don't.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Lekan239(m): 11:15am On Mar 07, 2021
LoveThemChubby:

How long did it take them? I never said they don't.
it took them the exact same time their counterpart in the university obtained theirs.

Or are you trying to insinuate that all university lecturers are PhD holder's

I have seen some of my lecturers moved to the renowned university, the likes of OAU, UI and UNILAG. Why some stay put at the polytechnic despite the persuasion from this university fir their service.

The current rector of the polytechnic is the first alumnus rector of the polytechnic, and he is aslo an alumni of my department.

I rep the department of Mechanical Engineering, the Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by legacystore: 11:53am On Mar 07, 2021
Mario1989:

Go for state university

U will become a professor
U don't really need regular payment of salary because there are several way of making millions each semester there (Do I need to spell it out for u).

From State university u can move to federal uni down the line.

This is believing u have PhD already if not go for federal poly if u have only masters n switch to uni when u have PhD
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Xeeman(m): 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2021
I work with Kano university, no payment problem.

I tell you that State university is better.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Pymetrics: 4:00pm On Mar 07, 2021
As an experience student of both university and polytechnic, let me highlight the following :
People were only mentioning salary, and being a professor in the other comments, but I want to add to their discussions.
Firstly, you need to know the criteria of promotions in the two settings. In the University, you need three things, masters and PhD degree, and your research publication in a reputable local and international journals, and years of experience. You also need to attend conferences. These things is not easily achieved if you are not ready for rigorous reading, reviewing, rejections, and traveling. However, in the Polytechnic, you only need your years of experience and a master degree or Pgd to compliment your hnd certificate, and probably years of experience. The pressure to publish research work, attend conferences are not there.
Therefore you need to know your strength before choosing any of the setting.

Secondly, university gives you an advantage of local and international research grant, opportunities to work for international NGOs, opportunity to lecture at other universities abroad, and opportunity to be given some national assignment like State Electoral returning officer. There are other benefits that Polytechnic settings don't even give. However, though this is possible in some universities, but you have the advantage to develop a copy and paste handout and sell to Polytechnic students every year. With this you make more money in the Polytechnic than university.

Lastly, if at a point you don't develop yourself at the University by obtaining masters degree or PhD or publish a good journal, you may be faced out. I mean you may be released to leave the academic setting. This happen in the Federal universities, I don't know about state universities. However, in the Polytechnic, you can remain dormant with one academic qualifications and nobody will relief you of your duty. Though junior ones with advanced degree might later be your boss as a Director or rector.

In summary, know what you want and your strength before making decision.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Pristane: 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
ejimatic:
. Your choice and interest will determine what you will take.However let me say this as a guide too.1 Federal institutions are better than state institutions 2 Federal institutions pay better than state schools 3. Salary packages of the federal polys are almost the same with federal universities or one is slightly more than the other.That is why many lecturers don't want to leave polytechnics even if they are PhD holders. 4 Federal polys salary is more than that of a state university. 5 If you are a professor in a federal university your salary is a little different from that of a Chief Lecturer in a polytechnic owned by the federal government. 6 The enjoyment in federal polytechnics is more than even in a federal university in some areas.7 Do not be deceived by the title Professor there is nothing in it .What have many professors in Nigeria achieved apart from travelling out with TETFUND grants which federal polys have access to too? 8 In polytechnics you can go for your PhD and get more opportunities in many places including academics. 9 Nigeria today is about money not title 10 Think about comfort and satisfaction in your life which goes beyond academic titles any where. 11 Finally if you don't want any regret in your life run away from any state institution even university. From a federal polytechnic you can still go to a federal university if it is your dream to be a professor. 12 May God bless any decision you take on this matter.

It appears MONEY is the only reason for this write-up which is very misleading. I left a Private University that's pays 25% above federal to a State. Let me tell you in clear term that there is no difference between State and Federal University salary. We use the same salary scale.

How can you be a serious lecturer, academician and researchers be comparing State University with Federal Polytechnic. That it is a Federal polytechnic do not give it any ground of comparison. Not all people will work I State University and not all we work in Federal polytechnic.

Qualifications, vision, and capacity will seriously determine your choice. What money are you talking about in Federal Polytechnic. Is it salary you are calling money.? Sorry.

Many State University lecturer are enjoying more than the Federal. Some of the Governor's behavior is not a reason to start think state University is less. Depending on your field there are opportunities of travelling, collaboration, grant that you can ever enjoy in the polytechnic. Couple with the fact that only few lecturers in polytechnic are motivated to do research and improve themselves academically and this keeps them behind. If you leave Polytechnic today as a Chief Lecturer, the highest position you will get in the university where politics or bribery is not involve is Senior Lecturer and that is even if you have PhD otherwise you will be place in Lecturer I.

Someone says that there's nothing in being a Professor. That is a very poor knowledge of academic career. Prof is the peak of your carrier. As a serious researchers, you won't need any political appointment to have money because you already have more than what you can cope with in collaborations that brings real money.

The reasons why many Professor in Nigeria run after political office is because majority of them were accidental and political academician. It is so because our laboratories have nothing to write about because monies allocated for equipment were never used but shared and spent. I can seriously tell you that some of the government effort of equipping University were squandered and rendered those lab empty or with equipment that never works.

So, I don't see ground for comparing State University with Polytechnic at all.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by ejimatic: 6:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
Pristane:

It appears MONEY is the only reason for this write-up which is very misleading. I left a Private University that's pays 25% above federal to a State. Let me tell you in clear term that there is no difference between State and Federal University salary. We use the same salary scale.

How can you be a serious lecturer, academician and researchers be comparing State University with Federal Polytechnic. That it is a Federal polytechnic do not give it any ground of comparison. Not all people will work I State University and not all we work in Federal polytechnic.

Qualifications, vision, and capacity will seriously determine your choice. What money are you talking about in Federal Polytechnic. Is it salary you are calling money.? Sorry.

Many State University lecturer are enjoying more than the Federal. Some of the Governor's behavior is not a reason to start think state University is less. Depending on your field there are opportunities of travelling, collaboration, grant that you can ever enjoy in the polytechnic. Couple with the fact that only few lecturers in polytechnic are motivated to do research and improve themselves academically and this keeps them behind. If you leave Polytechnic today as a Chief Lecturer, the highest position you will get in the university where politics or bribery is not involve is Senior Lecturer and that is even if you have PhD otherwise you will be place in Lecturer I.

Someone says that there's nothing in being a Professor. That is a very poor knowledge of academic career. Prof is the peak of your carrier. As a serious researchers, you won't need any political appointment to have money because you already have more than what you can cope with in collaborations that brings real money.

The reasons why many Professor in Nigeria run after political office is because majority of them were accidental and political academician. It is so because our laboratories have nothing to write about because monies allocated for equipment were never used but shared and spent. I can seriously tell you that some of the government effort of equipping University were squandered and rendered those lab empty or with equipment that never works.

So, I don't see ground for comparing State University with Polytechnic at all.
. Universities and polytechnics are not the same in terms of funding and research and they can never be the same. Their goals are not even the same . Even Tetfund grants given to both of them are not the same.However as indicated in your post corruption has eaten deep into our educational system and it is affecting guality of teaching research and funding in universities. and polytechnics. While both polytechnic and university lecturers have access to tetfund and other grants.more money is given to the universities for researches. The grants in universities are even politicised in allocation while many laboratories are just like secondary labs.This a serious concern in Nigeria. Thus when educational sector is corrupt the best is for lecturers in Polys and universities to make do with their salaries...The way they run many state universities is disturbing with diversion of fund in all areas.So in our Nigeria of today your take home is primary while other benefits are additional which only a few are benefitting.So it good to decide well when taking a job in Nigeria.l

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by NewAjala(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
Take both if in same state! You won't be the first nor the last

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Etimigo69: 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2021
;D5
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Etimigo69: 8:57pm On Mar 13, 2021
:ou earth
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by DrTims(m): 1:14pm On Mar 14, 2021
It's like you didn't understand what he said. As a lecturer in a Polytechnic. You can't become a Professor and when you want to switch, they will Lower your rank when coming in to the university system. It's part of the reasons why we have this issues of HND/BSc brouhaha..
Lekan239:
so those lecturers with PhD in polytechnic can rise to chief chief lecturer abi?

Pls update yourself and your knowledge. Maybe by then, you might stop spewing trash.
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Etimigo69: 5:24pm On Mar 14, 2021
angry5 do in
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Etimigo69: 8:32pm On Mar 15, 2021
[center][/center] to get
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Ademoore07(m): 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
ejimatic:
Thank you very much for this piece.
Pls, how much is a Lecturer 2 salary at any Federal polytechnic? Which payment platform do they use also?
Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by ejimatic: 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2021
Ademoore07:
Thank you very much for this piece.
Pls, how much is a Lecturer 2 salary at any Federal polytechnic? Which payment platform do they use also?
Lecturer 1 get 220 thousands Lecturer 2 is close to Lecturer 1 Concpass is what they used for their payment You will regularly receive your salary unlike state universities that are at the mercy of the state governors ...From the federal polys you can go to Federal University.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic by Ademoore07(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
ejimatic:
Lecturer 1 get 220 thousands Lecturer 2 is close to Lecturer 1 Concpass is what they used for their payment You will regularly receive your salary unlike state universities that are at the mercy of the state governors ...From the federal polys you can go to Federal University.
Thanks for your response. Looking forward to concluding my Ph.D programme.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Cancel My Resignation In A Federal Government Institution? / Lady Quits Job Because Her Boss Calls Her "Sweetie" / Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.